Summer is Coming! Join the Game of Timers Competition to Win Epic Prizes. Registration is Open. Game starts Mon July 1st.

It is currently 18 Jul 2019, 10:30

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

A film is more likely to have a complex storyline when it is directed

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Manager
Manager
P
Concentration: Operations, Marketing
GPA: 4
WE: Operations (Retail)
A film is more likely to have a complex storyline when it is directed  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 Jan 2019, 12:11
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

75% (hard)

Question Stats:

56% (01:41) correct 44% (02:09) wrong based on 127 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

A film is more likely to have a complex storyline when it is directed by a director who has won an Academy Award. Regardless of the awards won by the director, a film with a complex storyline is more likely to do badly at the box-office than a film with a story-line that is not complex. Since other causes of poor box-office performance are not related to the awards won by the director, there must be more films with poor box-office collections with Academy Award-winning directors than with directors who have not won any Academy Awards.

The argument above is most vulnerable to which one of the following criticisms?

A. It ignores the fact that a film that does not do well on the box-office may eventually do well when broadcasted on TV.
B. It fails to consider a scenario in which the number of films directed by directors who have not won Academy Awards is significantly more than that directed by directors who
have won Academy Awards.
C. It identifies one aspect of the films as the sole determinant of their box office performance without considering other possible aspects.
D. It fails to consider a scenario in which directors may be aware of the fact that a complex storyline may not translate into a successful box-office collection.
E. It fails to factor in the number of films with poor box-office collections that were directed by Academy Award-winning directors and that ultimately won critical acclaim.

G
Re: A film is more likely to have a complex storyline when it is directed  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 Jan 2019, 12:58
Imo B

Conclusion:there must be more films with poor box-office collections with Academy Award-winning directors than with directors who have not won any Academy Awards.

Prethink:if the number of poor film is not related to the award or complexity by director

There could be a scenario where number of films produced and failed by non award winning directors are more ....than by award winning director

A. It ignores the fact that a film that does not do well on the box-office may eventually do well when broadcasted on TV.---irrelevant
B. It fails to consider a scenario in which the number of films directed by directors who have not won Academy Awards is significantly more than that directed by directors who
have won Academy Awards.---correct

C. It identifies one aspect of the films as the sole determinant of their box office performance without considering other possible aspects.--irrelevant

D. It fails to consider a scenario in which directors may be aware of the fact that a complex storyline may not translate into a successful box-office collection.----correct

E. It fails to factor in the number of films with poor box-office collections that were directed by Academy Award-winning directors and that ultimately won critical acclaim---irrelevant

Posted from my mobile device

Be very critical of my Post
Ask as many questions of my post possible
Intern
Intern
B
CAT Tests
Re: A film is more likely to have a complex storyline when it is directed  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 Jan 2019, 01:16
Please elaborate on B. I'm unable to relate B with the comclusion.

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 11 Jan 2019, 08:02
Hi

Can you please elaborate on the option
Manager
Manager
G

Show Tags

New post 11 Jan 2019, 11:19
surbhi1991 wrote:
Hi

Can you please elaborate on the option

A. It ignores the fact that a film that does not do well on the box-office may eventually do well when broadcasted on TV.----Wrong, Passage no where states or mentions the ootuput related to TV, in the passage we are just concerned with number of films released and income from BOX office collection.

B. It fails to consider a scenario in which the number of films directed by directors who have not won Academy Awards is significantly more than that directed by directors who have won Academy Awards.----Correct, it states that the number of films which were produced by NON academy award winners is more THAN the number of movies made by the director who have won academy awards.

If the above statement is true, than the conclusion : there must be more films with poor box-office collections with Academy Award-winning directors than with directors who have not won any Academy Awards. FALLS

C. It identifies one aspect of the films as the sole determinant of their box office performance without considering other possible aspects.---Wrong, we are not concerned with factors to determing box office performance, INSTEAD we are concerned with the number of films made by direcotrs who have won awards and who have not won awards

D. It fails to consider a scenario in which directors may be aware of the fact that a complex storyline may not translate into a successful box-office collection.----Wrong, premise already states that directors made movie ,which could translate to successful or failure irrespective of the movie being made by the Director who have award or who does not have award

E. It fails to factor in the number of films with poor box-office collections that were directed by Academy Award-winning directors and that ultimately won critical acclaim.---wrong, please note we are just concerned with conclusion and not the other details.

Manager
Manager
G

Show Tags

New post 11 Jan 2019, 11:21
Megha1119 wrote:
Please elaborate on B. I'm unable to relate B with the comclusion.

B. It fails to consider a scenario in which the number of films directed by directors who have not won Academy Awards is significantly more than that directed by directors who have won Academy Awards.----Correct, it states that the number of films which were produced by NON academy award winners is more THAN the number of movies made by the director who have won academy awards.

If the above statement is true, than the conclusion : there must be more films with poor box-office collections with Academy Award-winning directors than with directors who have not won any Academy Awards. FALLS

Manager
Manager
S

Show Tags

New post 16 Jan 2019, 08:32
Experts can you explain the approach . I am still confused what we need to prethink in this scenario
GMAT Club Bot
Re: A film is more likely to have a complex storyline when it is directed   [#permalink] 16 Jan 2019, 08:32

A film is more likely to have a complex storyline when it is directed

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics