GMAT Changed on April 16th - Read about the latest changes here

It is currently 22 May 2018, 04:58

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

A higher interest rate is only one of the factors, albeit an

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G
Daboo: Sonu
GMAT 1: 590 Q49 V20
GMAT 2: 730 Q50 V38
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge
Re: A higher interest rate is only one of the factors, albeit an [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 Jan 2017, 21:32
reply2spg wrote:
A higher interest rate is only one of the factors, albeit an important one, that keeps the housing market from spiraling out of control, like it did earlier in the decade.

a) that keeps the housing market from spiraling out of control, like it did earlier in the decade.
b) that keep the housing market from spiraling out of control, as it did earlier in the decade
c) that keeps the housing market from spiraling out of control, as it did earlier in the decade
d) that keep the housing market from spiraling out of control, like earlier in the decade
e) that keep the housing market from spiraling out of control, like it did earlier in the decade

Here SV agreement and comparison is at issue.
1)factors is plural so we need a plural verb after that so keep is correct
2) as vs like is at issue (Comparison issue)
As is used to compare caluse wheras like is used to compare noun
with that in our mind let's go to the answer choices

a) Incorrectthat keeps the housing market from spiraling out of control, like it did earlier in the decade. SV agreement error. Like is incorrectly used to compare clause.
b) Correctthat keep the housing market from spiraling out of control, as it did earlier in the decade NO error SV agrees in numer. As is correctly used to compare clause.
c) Incorrectthat keeps the housing market from spiraling out of control, as it did earlier in the decade
SV agreement error
d)Incorrect that keep the housing market from spiraling out of control, like earlier in the decade
Comparison error. earlier in decade is compared with higher interest rate. A rate must be compared with another rate
e)Incorrect that keep the housing market from spiraling out of control, like it did earlier in the decade[/quote]
Comparison error. Like is incorrectly used to compare clause

Hence B is our answer

You have to have the darkness for the dawn to come.

Give Kudos if you like my post

Manager
Manager
B
Concentration: General Management, Statistics
GMAT 1: 670 Q49 V31
GMAT 2: 730 Q49 V41
GPA: 3
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)

Show Tags

New post 04 May 2017, 04:01
Doesn't "that" refer to the nearest noun, In this case "one" in albeit an important one
1 KUDOS received
Board of Directors
V
Premium Member Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 04 May 2017, 05:24
This post received
KUDOS
onkargm wrote:
Doesn't "that" refer to the nearest noun, In this case "one" in albeit an important one

Try reading the sentence by removing the phrase " albeit an important one", you can find the actual meaning of the sentence. That must refer to the factors, hence we are using "keep".

As per the meaning of the sentence, Higher interest rate keeps the market from spiraling.

Tip: In such sentences, try to remove the phrases between the two commas and then check the overall structure. If it makes sense, it is correct. Else you are missing something.

My GMAT Story: From V21 to V40
My MBA Journey: My 10 years long MBA Dream
My Secret Hacks: Best way to use GMATClub
Verbal Resources: All SC Resources at one place | All CR Resources at one place

Find a bug in the new email templates and get rewarded with 2 weeks of GMATClub Tests for free

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
P
Concentration: Finance, Accounting
GPA: 3.5
Re: A higher interest rate is only one of the factors [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 May 2017, 06:51
A higher interest rate is only one of the factors, albeit an important one, that keeps the housing market from spiraling out of control, like it did earlier in the decade.

A) keeps the housing market from spiraling out of control, like it did (Factors are plural. Therefore usage of keeps is wrong)
B) keep the housing market from spiraling out of control, as it did (Correct)
C) keeps the housing market from spiraling out of control, as it did (Same as A)
D) keep the housing market from spiraling out of control, like (Like is used for comparing nouns not clauses)
E) keep the housing market from spiraling out of control, like it did (Same as D)

Kudos please if you like my explanation!

Kindly hit kudos if my post helps!

Manager
Manager
B
Concentration: General Management, International Business
GMAT 1: 660 Q40 V41
GPA: 3.4
WE: Engineering (Energy and Utilities)

Show Tags

New post 16 Aug 2017, 23:23
DmitryFarber wrote:
B uses "keep," which is plural. This matches the subject "factors." A higher interest rate is one of the factors. Which factors? The factors that keep the housing market from spiraling out of control.

Hi DmitryFarber,

Well your post is pretty old but I hope you can still clear my doubt. In the sentence "factors" comes in a prepositional phrase "of the factors", then how can it be the subject of the sentence?

Thanks
Dkingdom
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Manhattan Prep Instructor
S

Show Tags

New post 30 Aug 2017, 01:31
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Dkingdom

To be clear, "factors" isn't the main subject of the sentence. The main subject-verb pair is "rate is," for a simple core of "A rate is one of the factors." However, the phrase beginning with "that keep" is modifying the noun "factors." When we ask "What keeps the housing market from spiraling out of control?" the answer is "factors."

Dmitry Farber | Manhattan GMAT Instructor | New York

Manhattan GMAT Discount | Manhattan GMAT Course Reviews | View Instructor Profile |
Manhattan GMAT Reviews

Manager
Manager
B

Show Tags

New post 28 Sep 2017, 00:43
I thought the higher interest rate is the subject here. Can someone explain why 'higher interest rate' is not considered as subject ?
Intern
Intern
B
Concentration: Operations, Leadership
GMAT 1: 700 Q48 V42
GPA: 3.85
WE: Operations (Consumer Electronics)

Show Tags

New post 28 Sep 2017, 07:27
This post was
BOOKMARKED
santro789 wrote:
I thought the higher interest rate is the subject here. Can someone explain why 'higher interest rate' is not considered as subject ?

Lets look at this sentence in this way

A higher interest rate is only one of the factors, albeit an important one, that(subject) keeps(verb) the housing market from spiraling out of control, as it did earlier in the decade.

so now we need to ask the question what does 'that' refer to?

'That' will only refer to its nearest noun, which in this case will be factors. Hence the subject is factors and not 'A higher interest rate'
Hope that helps.

~~~~~~ consider giving Kudos if you like the post ~~~~~~

~~~~~~ consider giving kudos if you liked the post ~~~~~~

Re: A higher interest rate is only one of the factors, albeit an   [#permalink] 28 Sep 2017, 07:27

Go to page   Previous    1   2   3   [ 48 posts ] 

A higher interest rate is only one of the factors, albeit an

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap