GMAT Question of the Day: Daily via email | Daily via Instagram New to GMAT Club? Watch this Video

It is currently 08 Jul 2020, 03:56

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

A higher interest rate is only one of the factors, albeit an important

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Find Similar Topics 
Retired Moderator
S
Schools: German MBA
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE: Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge
Re: A higher interest rate is only one of the factors, albeit an important  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 Oct 2016, 10:15
sidoknowia wrote:
sayantanc2k wrote:

The subject for the verb "keep" / "keeps" is "that", and "that" refers to the noun "factors" - hence "that" is plural and so the verb should also be plural, i.e. "keep".

Hi,

I understand your explanation, based upon it I was trying to make few examples of my own to get better understanding of the concept - but ended up getting confused.
Can you please help me with below sentence ?

A volcano is only of the factors, albeit an important one, that destroys/destroy the biodiversity of the island.

As before, "that" refers to "factors" and is hence plural - the verb should also be plural: "destroy" is correct.

In order to understand this structure, first identify the antecedent of the relative pronoun "that". In general identification is easy because "that" would generally come immediately after the noun it refers to (as per the modifier touch rule). However there are some exceptions (such as this one), in which the modifier is separated from the noun it refers to - this example is such an exception. Manhattan SC guide explains these exceptions in detail. This particular example falls under the following category:

A short non-essential phrase intervenes and is set off by commas. (Here: "albeit an important one".)
Manager
Manager
B
Concentration: General Management, Statistics
GMAT 1: 670 Q49 V31
GMAT 2: 730 Q49 V41
GPA: 3
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Re: A higher interest rate is only one of the factors, albeit an important  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 May 2017, 03:01
Doesn't "that" refer to the nearest noun, In this case "one" in albeit an important one
Board of Directors
V
Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 04 May 2017, 04:24
onkargm wrote:
Doesn't "that" refer to the nearest noun, In this case "one" in albeit an important one

Try reading the sentence by removing the phrase " albeit an important one", you can find the actual meaning of the sentence. That must refer to the factors, hence we are using "keep".

As per the meaning of the sentence, Higher interest rate keeps the market from spiraling.

Tip: In such sentences, try to remove the phrases between the two commas and then check the overall structure. If it makes sense, it is correct. Else you are missing something.
GMAT Club Inbuilt Error Log Functionality - View More | Best Reply Functionality on GMAT Club!
New Visa Forum - Ask all your Visa Related Questions - here | Have OPT questions? - Post them here.
Find a bug in the new email templates and get rewarded with 2 weeks of GMATClub Tests for free
Check our new About Us Page here. | Blog: Subscribe to Question of the Day Blog
New! Executive Assessment (EA) Exam - All you need to know!
Manager
Manager
B
Concentration: General Management, International Business
GMAT 1: 660 Q40 V41
GPA: 3.4
WE: Engineering (Energy and Utilities)

Show Tags

New post 16 Aug 2017, 22:23
DmitryFarber wrote:
B uses "keep," which is plural. This matches the subject "factors." A higher interest rate is one of the factors. Which factors? The factors that keep the housing market from spiraling out of control.

Hi DmitryFarber,

Well your post is pretty old but I hope you can still clear my doubt. In the sentence "factors" comes in a prepositional phrase "of the factors", then how can it be the subject of the sentence?

Thanks
Dkingdom
Manhattan Prep Instructor
G

Show Tags

New post 30 Aug 2017, 00:31
Dkingdom

To be clear, "factors" isn't the main subject of the sentence. The main subject-verb pair is "rate is," for a simple core of "A rate is one of the factors." However, the phrase beginning with "that keep" is modifying the noun "factors." When we ask "What keeps the housing market from spiraling out of control?" the answer is "factors."

Dmitry Farber | Manhattan Prep GMAT Instructor | San Diego

Manhattan GMAT Discount | Manhattan GMAT Course Reviews | View Instructor Profile |
Manhattan GMAT Reviews
Manager
Manager
B

Show Tags

New post 27 Sep 2017, 23:43
I thought the higher interest rate is the subject here. Can someone explain why 'higher interest rate' is not considered as subject ?
Intern
Intern
B
Concentration: Operations, Leadership
GMAT 1: 700 Q48 V42
GPA: 3.85
WE: Operations (Consumer Electronics)

Show Tags

New post 28 Sep 2017, 06:27
santro789 wrote:
I thought the higher interest rate is the subject here. Can someone explain why 'higher interest rate' is not considered as subject ?

Lets look at this sentence in this way

A higher interest rate is only one of the factors, albeit an important one, that(subject) keeps(verb) the housing market from spiraling out of control, as it did earlier in the decade.

so now we need to ask the question what does 'that' refer to?

'That' will only refer to its nearest noun, which in this case will be factors. Hence the subject is factors and not 'A higher interest rate'
Hope that helps.

~~~~~~ consider giving Kudos if you like the post ~~~~~~
Manager
Manager
B
WE: Accounting (Consulting)

Show Tags

New post 12 Dec 2019, 22:08
SaraiGMAT wrote:
A higher interest rate is only one of the factors, albeit an important one, that keeps the housing market from spiraling out of control, like it did earlier in the decade.

(A) that keeps the housing market from spiraling out of control, like it did earlier in the decade.
"A higher interest rate is only one" [this is the main clause] "of the factors" [this is the prepositional phrase describing the 'one'] "that keep/s the housing market from spiraling out of control, like it did earlier..." [this is a relative clause that SHOULD define the 'factors'] Thus, the verb should be plural, "keep".

Also, "like" is used to compare one noun to another. Like cannot be followed by noun+verb.

Ex.
She sings like a duck. (Correct)
She sings as a duck does/sings. [color=#80FF40](Correct: "as" when used in a comparison is followed by a noun+verb.)

She sings like a duck does. (Incorrect)
She sings as a duck. (Incorrect)

(B) that keep the housing market from spiraling out of control, as it did earlier in the decade

Correct: The plural "keep" is the correct verb in the clause referring to "factors". "As+subject+verb" is the correct form for a comparison using "as".

(C) that keeps the housing market from spiraling out of control, as it did earlier in the decade
"Keeps"-->Same problem as in A.

(D) that keep the housing market from spiraling out of control, like earlier in the decade
"Like+adjective" is incorrect. "Like" must compare two nouns.

(E) that keep the housing market from spiraling out of control, like it did earlier in the decade
"Like it did" --> same problem as in A.

Why it is necessary for keep to modify factors and not one of the factors?

Comparison is also clear as it has been used in the later part of the sentence. Following is the comparison.
Interest rate (one of the factors) keeps the housing market from spiraling out of control, as interest rate did earlier in the decade.

Why can't singular verb be used for one of the factors?
SVP
SVP
D
Schools: ISB
GPA: 3.31

Show Tags

New post 12 Dec 2019, 23:59
Balkrishna wrote:

Hi Balkrishna, this is an extremely common pattern tested on GMAT and hence, it might be a good idea to make yourself comfortable with it.

The way to interpret this sentence is:

- there are many factors that keep the housing market from spiraling out of control.

- a higher interest rate is one of those factors.

You might also want to read my related post on a variation of this kind of construct.
EducationAisle Online GMAT Classes

Sentence Correction Nirvana available on Amazon.in and Flipkart

Join us for a free GMAT Live Online Class from anywhere in the world
Manager
Manager
B

Show Tags

New post 14 Dec 2019, 03:18
EducationAisle wrote:
Balkrishna wrote:

Hi Balkrishna, this is an extremely common pattern tested on GMAT and hence, it might be a good idea to make yourself comfortable with it.

The way to interpret this sentence is:

- there are many factors that keep the housing market from spiraling out of control.

- a higher interest rate is one of those factors.

You might also want to read my related post on a variation of this kind of construct.

Hi EducationAisle,

Thank you for your response.

I understood your point. If we consider factors, then following comparison emerges.
factors keep the housing market from spiraling out of control, as it did earlier in the decade.

Is the above comparison logical? Here, comparison is between the action of keeping the housing market from spiraling out of control. Both the entity in if and then clause must be the same.

Am I making any error in understanding the comparison?
SVP
SVP
D

Show Tags

New post 14 Dec 2019, 06:04
it refers to a higher interest rate.

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 15 Dec 2019, 23:22
It is mentioned only one of the factors and therefore, we should you "keeps" instead of "keep" and i guess "that" modifies interest rate. Please tell me where am I wrong ?
SVP
SVP
D

Show Tags

New post 15 Dec 2019, 23:46
aarushisingla wrote:
It is mentioned only one of the factors and therefore, we should you "keeps" instead of "keep"

Hi Aarushi, the way to read this is:

....only one of the factors that keep...

So, there are many factors; a higher interest rate is only one of those factors.

On the other hand, the following sentence would justify keeps:

A higher interest rate is the only one among the various economic factors that keeps the housing market from spiraling out of control.

Here it is very clear that there is only one factor that keeps the housing market from spiraling out of control: a higher interest rate.

Intern
Intern
B
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 06 Jan 2020, 23:35
x2suresh wrote:
A higher interest rate is only one of the factors, albeit an important one, that keeps the housing market from spiraling out of control, like it did earlier in the decade.

A) keeps the housing market from spiraling out of control, like it did

B) keep the housing market from spiraling out of control, as it did

C) keepsthe housing market from spiraling out of control, as it did

D) keep the housing market from spiraling out of control, like earlier

E) keep the housing market from spiraling out of control, like it did earlier

Hi I just wanted to know which noun the pronoun 'IT' refers back to.

Thank you
Manager
Manager
B

Show Tags

New post 07 Jan 2020, 01:44
hinshara97 wrote:
x2suresh wrote:

A) keeps the housing market from spiraling out of control, like it did

B) keep the housing market from spiraling out of control, as it did

C) keepsthe housing market from spiraling out of control, as it did

D) keep the housing market from spiraling out of control, like earlier

E) keep the housing market from spiraling out of control, like it did earlier

Hi I just wanted to know which noun the pronoun 'IT' refers back to.

Thank you

hinshara97,

It refers to interest rate.

Why? Because, interest rate is the only logical antecedent for it in the given sentence.
GMAT Club Bot
Re: A higher interest rate is only one of the factors, albeit an important   [#permalink] 07 Jan 2020, 01:44

Go to page   Previous    1   2   3   [ 55 posts ] 

A higher interest rate is only one of the factors, albeit an important

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics