Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 20:59 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 20:59

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [1]
Given Kudos: 13
Concentration: Operations, Leadership
GMAT 1: 700 Q48 V42
GPA: 3.85
WE:Operations (Consumer Electronics)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 43 [0]
Given Kudos: 308
WE:Accounting (Consulting)
Send PM
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 3528 [1]
Given Kudos: 149
Schools: ISB
GPA: 3.31
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 43 [0]
Given Kudos: 308
WE:Accounting (Consulting)
Send PM
Re: A higher interest rate is only one of the factors, albeit an important [#permalink]
EducationAisle wrote:
Balkrishna wrote:
Why it is necessary for keep to modify factors and not one of the factors?

Hi Balkrishna, this is an extremely common pattern tested on GMAT and hence, it might be a good idea to make yourself comfortable with it.

The way to interpret this sentence is:

- there are many factors that keep the housing market from spiraling out of control.

- a higher interest rate is one of those factors.

You might also want to read my related post on a variation of this kind of construct.

Hi EducationAisle,

Thank you for your response.

I understood your point. If we consider factors, then following comparison emerges.
factors keep the housing market from spiraling out of control, as it did earlier in the decade.

Is the above comparison logical? Here, comparison is between the action of keeping the housing market from spiraling out of control. Both the entity in if and then clause must be the same.

Am I making any error in understanding the comparison?
CEO
CEO
Send PM
Re: A higher interest rate is only one of the factors, albeit an important [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
it refers to a higher interest rate.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [0]
Given Kudos: 58
Send PM
It is mentioned only one of the factors and therefore, we should you "keeps" instead of "keep" and i guess "that" modifies interest rate. Please tell me where am I wrong ?
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 3528 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
aarushisingla wrote:
It is mentioned only one of the factors and therefore, we should you "keeps" instead of "keep"

Hi Aarushi, the way to read this is:

....only one of the factors that keep...

So, there are many factors; a higher interest rate is only one of those factors.

On the other hand, the following sentence would justify keeps:

A higher interest rate is the only one among the various economic factors that keeps the housing market from spiraling out of control.

Here it is very clear that there is only one factor that keeps the housing market from spiraling out of control: a higher interest rate.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 9
Send PM
Hello All,

I am a bit confused here...I chose option 3 thinking one is singular and therefore keeps is correct but the solution says since factors is plural it should be keep..is there any way to decide between options like these

A higher interest rate is only one of the factors, albeit an important one, that keeps the
housing market from spiraling out of control, like it did earlier in the decade.

1.keeps the housing market from spiraling out of control, like it did

2.keep the housing market from spiraling out of control, as it did ---> correct choice

3.keeps the housing market from spiraling out of control, as it did

4.keep the housing market from spiraling out of control, like

5.keep the housing market from spiraling out of control, like it did
Volunteer Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 6857 [2]
Given Kudos: 500
Kudos
Expert Reply
DJ101 wrote:
Hello All,

I am a bit confused here...I chose option 3 thinking one is singular and therefore keeps is correct but the solution says since factors is plural it should be keep..is there any way to decide between options like these

A higher interest rate is only one of the factors, albeit an important one, that keeps the
housing market from spiraling out of control, like it did earlier in the decade.

2.keep the housing market from spiraling out of control, as it did ---> correct choice

Hello, DJ101. This question is discussed in a separate thread, here, and there are a few pages of dialogue on it, so I hope you can find a post that resonates with you there. I will say, to be brief, that proper agreement of these prepositional phrases is dictated by the article, a/the, that precedes the subject of the sentence. In this case, the subject is a higher interest rate, not the higher interest rate, so a plural verb agreement, one that agrees with the object of the preposition, factors, is appropriate:

A higher interest rate is only one of the factors that keep...

As for like versus as, I will leave that discussion to the thread whose link I provided above. I hope it helps.

Good luck with your studies.

- Andrew
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 3528 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
DJ101 wrote:
Hello All,

Hi DJ101, the way to interpret such sentences is:

There are many factors that keep the housing market from spiraling out of control; a higher interest rate is one of those factors.

p.s. Our book EducationAisle Sentence Correction Nirvana discusses "one of the" construct, its application and examples in significant detail. If you or someone is interested, PM me your email-id; I can mail the corresponding section.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 17
Send PM
Why isn't "E" the correct option ? Not sure, about the correct usage of "Like" and "As" though. When to use which one?
Also, if option E was : "keep the housing market from spiraling out of control, like it did", would it still be incorrect?
CEO
CEO
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Induvr09 wrote:
Why isn't "E" the correct option ? Not sure, about the correct usage of "Like" and "As" though. When to use which one?
Also, if option E was : "keep the housing market from spiraling out of control, like it did", would it still be incorrect?

Indeed, the usage of like is a big red flag in E.

Like can never be followed by a "clause"; basically the portion of the sentence using like cannot have a verb.

In E like is followed by a clause "it did" (did is a verb). This is a no-go.

p.s. Our book EducationAisle Sentence Correction Nirvana discusses the topic of as vs like, its application and examples in significant detail. If you or someone is interested, PM me your email-id; I can mail the corresponding section.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 230 [0]
Given Kudos: 175
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
GPA: 3.5
WE:Advertising (Advertising and PR)
Send PM
A higher interest rate is only one of the factors, albeit an important [#permalink]
x2suresh wrote:
A higher interest rate is only one of the factors, albeit an important one, that keeps the housing market from spiraling out of control, like it did earlier in the decade.

A) keeps the housing market from spiraling out of control, like it did

B) keep the housing market from spiraling out of control, as it did

C) keeps the housing market from spiraling out of control, as it did

D) keep the housing market from spiraling out of control, like earlier

E) keep the housing market from spiraling out of control, like it did earlier

I felt one of the key things to look out for was not to select something because it 'sounds' correct.
LIKE here is wrong, as it cannot compare phrases. It needs to be AS. So eliminate: A, D and E
that here is the relative pronoun for FACTORS and thus needs the plural verb ie KEEP
It is not about "is only one of". For context.. Something is only one of the Many that keep
Refrain from choosing C even though it 'sounds' better.
GMAT Club Bot
A higher interest rate is only one of the factors, albeit an important [#permalink]
   1   2   3 
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6920 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts