Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 17:53 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 17:53

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Experts' Global Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 4683 [0]
Given Kudos: 38
GMAT Date: 11-01-2019
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Given Kudos: 704
Send PM
Target Test Prep Representative
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Own Kudos [?]: 5134 [1]
Given Kudos: 1431
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V51
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Given Kudos: 704
Send PM
Re: A huge flying reptile that died out with the dinosaurs some 65 million [#permalink]
MartyTargetTestPrep Got it, thank you! So Verb-ED modifier depends on the word itself - some can modify the whole clause if placed at the end of the sentence following a comma, but some don't - just depends on the word/context?

MartyTargetTestPrep wrote:
gmatimothy wrote:
Experts - quick question: can't "believed to be" modify the whole preceding clause "the Quetzalcoatlus had a wingspan"? Or is it just the preceding noun (36 feet), the preceding noun clause (wingspan of 36 feet) or the preceding verb( "had a wingspan")?

"Believed to be" always begins a modifier that modifies the preceding noun, noun phrase, or noun clause. It never modifies a statement, such as "the Quetzalcoatlus had a wingspan."

Notice that it's logical that only a thing could be "believed to be," not a statement.

For example:

John plays the violin, believed to be as skillful as that of Paganini, has stunned audiences worldwide. - incorrect because the statement "John plays the violin" cannot be skillful

Even this doesn't work:

John plays the violin, believed to be true ....

This works:

John's violin playing, believed to be as skillful as that of Paganini, has stunned audiences worldwide. - logical
Target Test Prep Representative
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Own Kudos [?]: 5134 [0]
Given Kudos: 1431
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V51
Send PM
Re: A huge flying reptile that died out with the dinosaurs some 65 million [#permalink]
Expert Reply
gmatimothy wrote:
MartyTargetTestPrep Got it, thank you! So Verb-ED modifier depends on the word itself - some can modify the whole clause if placed at the end of the sentence following a comma, but some don't - just depends on the word/context?

Yes, though such a modifier rarely modifies the entire clause.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 24 [0]
Given Kudos: 240
Concentration: Finance, General Management
GMAT 1: 690 Q48 V35
GPA: 3.95
WE:Real Estate (Consulting)
Send PM
1. For option B - How does the use of noun + that differ from use of and + that? What can "that" when used as "and that" modify? Subject of previous clause?
Also to confirm irrespective whether it is comma + and that or 'no' comma + and that .....that will modify subject

2. Option C - Isn't option C wordy
Instead of - and it is believed to have been
It should have been - and it has been believed
Manhattan Prep Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 486 [0]
Given Kudos: 37
GMAT 1: 760 Q49 V47
Send PM
Expert Reply
Rickooreo wrote:
1. For option B - How does the use of noun + that differ from use of and + that? What can "that" when used as "and that" modify? Subject of previous clause?
Also to confirm irrespective whether it is comma + and that or 'no' comma + and that .....that will modify subject

2. Option C - Isn't option C wordy
Instead of - and it is believed to have been
It should have been - and it has been believed

"That" has many uses in GMAT SC, and is a useful word to look out for. But it is tricky, because it has so many uses. Most commonly, 'that' is used as a modifier: "The dog that I love is cute" "Dogs that play fetch make the best pets."

But 'that' has other uses as well. It can be used as a conjunction for verbs (or modifiers-from-verbs) like "believe" or "suspect" or "said":

"My manager has realized that I am stealing pens from the office."

"The angry crowd interrupted the politician's speech, yelling that he had misled them with false promises."

(This version of 'that' always feels like both a modifier and a conjunction to me).

But 'that' can also be a noun or pronoun, which is how it is used in B. When 'B' says, "And that is believed to be," it's referencing another noun in the sentence. What is 'that?' Well, it would have to be the Quetzalcoatlus, to be the 'largest flying creature.' However, the use of 'that' really indicates a specificity. And we're not talking about a specific individual creature, we're talking about the creature in general, as a species. (In general, I think it would be hard to find an OG question where 'that' is used as a subject like this in a correct answer... It's a bit too informal and vague).

"That" can be used as a subject, but in a weird sentence like: "That she is tall does not mean she excels at basketball." Here "That" is capturing the whole idea "she is tall."

Regarding C, if we make your suggested changes, we have:

"The Q has a wingspan of 36 feet, and it is has been believed the largest flying creature."

It's unclear structurally what 'largest flying creature' is doing here. "it" is the Q. So we have:

"The Q has a wingspan of 36 feet, and [the Q] has been believed the largest flying creature."

It's not clear there that the Q *is* a large flying creature.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Given Kudos: 24
GMAT 1: 400 Q33 V12
Send PM
Why "have been" is used to refer to a fact (the largest flying creature the world has ever seen.) . Isn't the use of past perfect incorrect ? And we should use present tense to convey simple fact .
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V35
GPA: 4
Send PM
Isnt the use of"it" generally for things and not for living beings?? "It" is generally used for objects isn'it?
this it threw me off te correct choice..
Manhattan Prep Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 486 [0]
Given Kudos: 37
GMAT 1: 760 Q49 V47
Send PM
Expert Reply
GOBI93 wrote:
Isnt the use of"it" generally for things and not for living beings?? "It" is generally used for objects isn'it?

"It" can be used for non-human living things. So a reptile could certainly be referred to as 'it.'
Experts' Global Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 4683 [0]
Given Kudos: 38
GMAT Date: 11-01-2019
Send PM
Expert Reply
GOBI93 wrote:

Hello GOBI93,

We hope this finds you well.

To answer your query, "it" can be used to refer to all living things other than humans.

We hope this helps.
All the best!
Experts' Global Team
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 366
Send PM
A huge flying reptile that died out with the dinosaurs some 65 million [#permalink]
GMATNinja AjiteshArun I have a question on this - I do not think that option A is incorrect because of a modifier issue because past participles do not necessarily need to touch the noun they want to modify, I eliminated C because of the meaning issue that the two clauses are independent, however, the second clause is actually help explain the first one i.e. why were they believed to be the largest flying creature - because of wing size and hence thought connecting with a conjunction would convey the wrong meaning here.

Moreover, even if I consider the fact that believed to be is used for living things, please explain what is wrong with this sentence - "My grandmother, believed to be a demi-God, died at the age of 65."
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 4653 [1]
Given Kudos: 626
GMAT Focus 1:
715 Q83 V90 DI83
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V169
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
priyadabas01 wrote:
GMATNinja AjiteshArun I have a question on this - I do not think that option A is incorrect because of a modifier issue because past participles do not necessarily need to touch the noun they want to modify, I eliminated C because of the meaning issue that the two clauses are independent, however, the second clause is actually help explain the first one i.e. why were they believed to be the largest flying creature - because of wing size and hence thought connecting with a conjunction would convey the wrong meaning here.

Moreover, even if I consider the fact that believed to be is used for living things, please explain what is wrong with this sentence - "My grandmother, believed to be a demi-God, died at the age of 65."

Hi priyadabas01,

There are a couple of points we should keep in mind here:
1. {, + participle} structures are much more messy than introductory participles {participle + ,}. Here's a short discussion on this [07:44]:

2. In general, we can't be as flexible with the placement of adjectives as we can with the placement of adverbs. This is because adjectives are far more sensitive to proximity, so it's usually better to place an adjective as close to the noun it's trying to refer to. Here's an example:

2a. She joined Deloitte, believed to be one of the biggest consulting firms in the world. ← When we read this, it seems that the modifier is trying to refer to Deloitte. We would not go with this sentence if we wanted to say that she is what is believed to be one of the biggest consulting firms in the world.

As for your second question, I'm not sure why we should think that believed to be is used only for living things. Is this something you've come across in a test prep resource? I would think that something like "A painting believed to be worth only a few hundred dollars actually sold for..." is fine.
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3 
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6917 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts