Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 10:12 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 10:12

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Difficulty: Sub 505 Levelx   Businessx   Long Passagex                           
Show Tags
Hide Tags
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63668 [3]
Given Kudos: 1774
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63668 [2]

Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 60
Send PM
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 846 [0]
Given Kudos: 381
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
GMAT 1: 650 Q49 V29
GPA: 3.81
Send PM
Re: A key decision required of advertising managers is whether a “hard-sel [#permalink]
Quote:
RC00492-05 which of the following best describes the function of the sentence in lines 25-28(Because consumers are invited to make up their) in the context of the passage as a whole?

A) it reiterates a distinction between two advertising strategies that is made in the first paragraph
B) it explains how a particular strategy avoids a drawback described earlier in the paragraph
C) it suggests that a risk described earlier in the paragraph is less serious than some researchers believe it to be
D) it outlines why the strategy described in the previous sentence involves certain risks for an advertisement’s
E) it introduces an argument that will be refunded in the following paragraph

Hi GMATNinja generis MartyTargetTestPrep CrackVerbalGMAT dcummins gmat1393 GMATinsight

What is the meaning of refunded in the context. I thought refunded means to be discussed later in the following paragraph.
Infact , next para discuss the same point mentioned in the sentence in the said question.

I understand why B is correct. But i want to understand the exact reason for rejecting E or it maybe possible that my understanding of refunded is wrong .

Please share your opinion

Thanks!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 116 [0]
Given Kudos: 218
Send PM
Re: A key decision required of advertising managers is whether a “hard-sel [#permalink]
Vartikaa14 wrote:
Hi. I wanted to cross-check if my interpretation of option A is correct.

The option choice implicitly suggests that the claim made by the advertisements are different from what the advertiser intends to convey to the consumers using the hard sell approach. And the consumers, therefore, perceive this approach.

Whereas, the argument states that the consumers themselves believe completely the opposite of what the advertiser wants to convey (boomrang effect) using the hard sell approach

Dear Vartikaa14
you are right about option A

A) Consumers have been exposed to forceful claims that are diametrically opposed to those in an advertiser’s message

Yet, advertiser message is not deviated from his claim; nevertheless, it is reckoned by some customers as suspicious.

However, some consumers may resent being told what to believe and some may distrust the message. Resentment and distrust often lead to counter argumentation and to boomerang effects where consumers come to believe conclusions diametrically opposed to conclusions endorsed in advertising claims

Hence option E is acceptable.
E) come to view the advertiser’s message with suspicion
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 41 [0]
Given Kudos: 20
GMAT 1: 710 Q50 V35
Send PM
GMATNinja for the last question,
RC00492-07 It can be inferred from the passage that the research mentioned in line 43 (Recent research on consumer memory and judgment) supports which of the following statements?

A) implicit conclusions are more likely to capture accurately the point of the advertiser’s message than are explicit conclusions.

B) Counterargument action is less likely to occur if an individual’s beliefs or conclusions are readily accessible from memory.

C) The hard-sell approach results in conclusions that are more difficult for the consumer to recall than are conclusions resulting from the soft-sell approach.

D) When the beliefs of others are presented as definite and forceful claims, they are perceived to be as accurate as self-generated beliefs.

E) Despite the advantages of implicit conclusions, the hard-sell approach involves fewer risks for the advertiser than does the soft-sell approach.

Sir,
why Option B is not correct ?
I approached this option by taking into account that hard-sell approach often leads to counter argumentation ,and in third para it is mentioned that conclusion derived from soft-sell approach are more accessible from memory than those derived from
hard sell.
therefore, I thought that conclusions which are readily accessible are derived using soft - sell approach and thus leads to less counterargument.
please guide me.
Thank you.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 54 [0]
Given Kudos: 333
Send PM
RaviChandra wrote:
A key decision required of advertising managers is whether a “hard-sell” or “soft-sell” strategy is appropriate for a specific target market. The hard-sell approach involves the use of direct, forceful claims regarding the benefits of the advertised brand over competitors’ offerings. In contrast, the soft-sell approach involves the use of advertising claims that imply superiority more subtly.

One positive aspect of the hard-sell approach is its use of very simple and straightforward product claims presented as explicit conclusions, with little room for confusion regarding the advertiser's message. However, some consumers may resent being told what to believe and some may distrust the message. Resentment and distrust often lead to counter argumentation and to boomerang effects where consumers come to believe conclusions diametrically opposed to conclusions endorsed in advertising claims. By contrast, the risk of boomerang erects is greatly reduced with soft-sell approaches. One way to implement the soft-sell approach is to provide information that implies the main conclusions the advertiser wants the consumer to draw, but leave the conclusions themselves unstated. Because consumers are invited to make up their own minds, implicit conclusions reduce the risk of resentment, distrust, and counter argumentation.

Recent research on consumer memory and judgement suggests another advantage of implicit conclusions. Beliefs or conclusions that are self-generated are more accessible from memory than beliefs from conclusions provided explicitly by other individuals, and thus have a greater impact on judgment and decision making. Moreover, self-generated beliefs are often perceived as more accurate and valid than the beliefs of others, because other individuals may be perceived as less knowledgeable, or may be perceived as manipulative or deliberately misleading.

Despite these advantages, implicit conclusions may not always be more effective than explicit conclusions. One risk is that some consumers may fail to draw their own conclusions and thus miss the point of the message. Inferential activity is likely only when consumers are motivated and able to engage in effortful cognitive processes. Another risk is that some consumers may draw conclusions other than the one intended. Even if inferential activity is likely, there is no guarantee that consumers will follow the path provided by the advertiser. Finally, a third risk is that consumers may infer the intended conclusion but question the validity of their inference.

RC00492-07 It can be inferred from the passage that the research mentioned in line 43 (Recent research on consumer memory and judgment) supports which of the following statements?

A) implicit conclusions are more likely to capture accurately the point of the advertiser’s message than are explicit conclusions.

B) Counterargument action is less likely to occur if an individual’s beliefs or conclusions are readily accessible from memory.

C) The hard-sell approach results in conclusions that are more difficult for the consumer to recall than are conclusions resulting from the soft-sell approach.

D) When the beliefs of others are presented as definite and forceful claims, they are perceived to be as accurate as self-generated beliefs.

E) Despite the advantages of implicit conclusions, the hard-sell approach involves fewer risks for the advertiser than does the soft-sell approach.

Abhivas wrote:

Sir,
I approached this option by taking into account that hard-sell approach often leads to counter argumentation ,and in third para it is mentioned that conclusion derived from soft-sell approach are more accessible from memory than those derived from
hard sell.
therefore, I thought that conclusions which are readily accessible are derived using soft - sell approach and thus leads to less counterargument.
please guide me.
Thank you.

GMATNinja VeritasKarishma abhimahna souvik101990 gmatexam439 chetan2u egmat AndrewN Brian123

Post POE I was down to B and C and evaluated both for over 3 long minutes. Both seemed correct. Like Abhivas marked B
I'm curious to know what makes B incorrect and C score over it and how would you guys go about answering within a couple of minutes.
Many thanks.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 54 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Bunuel Sajjad1994 Options D and E are incorrectly stated in Question 5 of the passage
D is advertiser instead of advertisment's
E is refuted instead of refunded
Just happen to come across it. Thought I should let you guys know
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64916 [1]
Given Kudos: 426
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Jainam24 wrote:
RaviChandra wrote:
A key decision required of advertising managers is whether a “hard-sell” or “soft-sell” strategy is appropriate for a specific target market. The hard-sell approach involves the use of direct, forceful claims regarding the benefits of the advertised brand over competitors’ offerings. In contrast, the soft-sell approach involves the use of advertising claims that imply superiority more subtly.

One positive aspect of the hard-sell approach is its use of very simple and straightforward product claims presented as explicit conclusions, with little room for confusion regarding the advertiser's message. However, some consumers may resent being told what to believe and some may distrust the message. Resentment and distrust often lead to counter argumentation and to boomerang effects where consumers come to believe conclusions diametrically opposed to conclusions endorsed in advertising claims. By contrast, the risk of boomerang erects is greatly reduced with soft-sell approaches. One way to implement the soft-sell approach is to provide information that implies the main conclusions the advertiser wants the consumer to draw, but leave the conclusions themselves unstated. Because consumers are invited to make up their own minds, implicit conclusions reduce the risk of resentment, distrust, and counter argumentation.

Recent research on consumer memory and judgement suggests another advantage of implicit conclusions. Beliefs or conclusions that are self-generated are more accessible from memory than beliefs from conclusions provided explicitly by other individuals, and thus have a greater impact on judgment and decision making. Moreover, self-generated beliefs are often perceived as more accurate and valid than the beliefs of others, because other individuals may be perceived as less knowledgeable, or may be perceived as manipulative or deliberately misleading.

Despite these advantages, implicit conclusions may not always be more effective than explicit conclusions. One risk is that some consumers may fail to draw their own conclusions and thus miss the point of the message. Inferential activity is likely only when consumers are motivated and able to engage in effortful cognitive processes. Another risk is that some consumers may draw conclusions other than the one intended. Even if inferential activity is likely, there is no guarantee that consumers will follow the path provided by the advertiser. Finally, a third risk is that consumers may infer the intended conclusion but question the validity of their inference.

Abhivas wrote:

Sir,
hard sell.
please guide me.
Thank you.

GMATNinja VeritasKarishma abhimahna souvik101990 gmatexam439 chetan2u egmat AndrewN Brian123

Post POE I was down to B and C and evaluated both for over 3 long minutes. Both seemed correct. Like Abhivas marked B
I'm curious to know what makes B incorrect and C score over it and how would you guys go about answering within a couple of minutes.
Many thanks.

Here are the relevant lines:

"Recent research on consumer memory and judgement suggests another advantage of implicit conclusions. Beliefs or conclusions that are self-generated are more accessible from memory than beliefs from conclusions provided explicitly by other individuals, and thus have a greater impact on judgment and decision making."

The "recent research" suggest this advantage - Self generated beliefs are more accessible from memory and hence, have a greater impact on judgment and decision making.

Recall-ability is higher with self generated beliefs. This is turn leads to greater impact on decision making (when you recall it, you are able to consider it in your decision)

So the research supports this higher recall-ability.

It just says that readily accessible beliefs have a greater impact on judgment and decision making. Does it mean that people decide in favour of the argument made? Not necessary. They do consider it while making a decision but do they decide in its favour? We don't know. What the final action is, we are not given.

Correct. This is what the research suggests. That soft sell approach leads to self generated beliefs which are easier to recall.

Answer (C)
Manager
Manager
Send PM
VeritasKarishma thanks for the prompt response as always

I chose B based on the following line:
"Moreover, self-generated beliefs are often perceived as more accurate and valid than the beliefs of others, because other individuals may be perceived as less knowledgeable, or may be perceived as manipulative or deliberately misleading."

Doesn't this make B correct? When"beliefs are often perceived as more accurate and valid than the beliefs of other" doesn't it lead to counterargument action to be less likely? Or am I making a leap in assuming this?

I understand why C is the answer but I want to learn how I could effectively eliminate B.
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64916 [1]
Given Kudos: 426
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Jainam24 wrote:
VeritasKarishma thanks for the prompt response as always

I chose B based on the following line:
"Moreover, self-generated beliefs are often perceived as more accurate and valid than the beliefs of others, because other individuals may be perceived as less knowledgeable, or may be perceived as manipulative or deliberately misleading."

Doesn't this make B correct? When"beliefs are often perceived as more accurate and valid than the beliefs of other" doesn't it lead to counterargument action to be less likely? Or am I making a leap in assuming this?

I understand why C is the answer but I want to learn how I could effectively eliminate B.

But does the research suggest this next line? The research only suggests about the recall-ability. The question asks you what the research supports, not what the author thinks.
Read every question stem very carefully. The specific data questions have a narrow focus.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Ah! Got my mistake. Thanks a ton VeritasKarishma.
GRE Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 32911 [0]
Given Kudos: 5778
GPA: 3.62
Send PM
Expert Reply
Jainam24 wrote:
Bunuel Sajjad1994 Options D and E are incorrectly stated in Question 5 of the passage
D is advertiser instead of advertisment's
E is refuted instead of refunded
Just happen to come across it. Thought I should let you guys know

Edited it!

Thank you
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63668 [1]

Send PM
A key decision required of advertising managers is whether a hard-sel [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
Abhivas wrote:

Sir,
hard sell.
please guide me.
Thank you.

VeritasKarishma is pretty spot-on in her posts here and here. The problem with (B) in question 7 is that not all of it is supported by the research in line 43. Sure, the research supports the idea that the implicit conclusions generated by the soft-sell approach are more accessible from memory than the explicit conclusions generated by the hard-sell approach (as in (C)). But this is as much as the research itself supports.

In order to conclude that counterargument action is less likely to occur, we have to look elsewhere in the passage. So, when we’re looking for an answer choice supported by the research mentioned in line 43, (C) is the best option.

I hope that helps!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
Dont these lines "Because consumers are invited to make up their own minds, implicit conclusions reduce the risk of resentment, distrust, and counter argumentation." suggest answer for Question 3 is option E.
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63668 [1]

Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply

Question 3

KaushalKhatri wrote:
Dont these lines "Because consumers are invited to make up their own minds, implicit conclusions reduce the risk of resentment, distrust, and counter argumentation." suggest answer for Question 3 is option E.

Take another look at the exact wording of question 3:
Quote:
3. It can be inferred from the passage that advertisers could reduce one of the risks discussed in the last paragraph if they were able to provide...

This asks us to infer how advertisers can reduce one of the risks mentioned in the last paragraph. What are those risks?

• "Some consumers may fail to draw their own conclusions and thus miss the point of the message." The reason why this happens is that "inferential activity is likely only when consumers are motivated and able to engage in effortful cognitive processes."
  • "Some consumers may draw conclusions other than the one intended."
  • "Consumers may infer the intended conclusion but question the validity of their inference."

Does (E) show how advertisers can reduce one of these risks? Here's (E):
Quote:
E) [Advertisers could reduce one of the risks discussed in the last paragraph if they were able to provide] opportunity for consumers to generate their own beliefs or conclusions

(E) doesn't correlate to any of the risks mentioned in the last paragraph. It does show one of the advantages of soft-sell strategies in comparison to hard-sell strategies, but that's not what the question asks us to do.

Compare that to (A):
Quote:
[Advertisers could reduce one of the risks discussed in the last paragraph if they were able to provide] motivation for consumers to think about the advertisement’s message

This is directly tied to the first risk mentioned in the last paragraph. Consumers are likely to miss the point of soft-sell messages when they are not motivated to think. So, by providing motivation to think, advertisers can reduce the risk that consumers miss the point of the message.

(E) is out, and (A) is the correct answer to question 3.

I hope that helps!
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
Thanks for the help, I can see the reasoning now.

GMATNinja wrote:

Question 3

KaushalKhatri wrote:

Quote:
3. It can be inferred from the passage that advertisers could reduce one of the risks discussed in the last paragraph if they were able to provide...

This asks us to infer how advertisers can reduce one of the risks mentioned in the last paragraph. What are those risks?

• "Some consumers may fail to draw their own conclusions and thus miss the point of the message." The reason why this happens is that "inferential activity is likely only when consumers are motivated and able to engage in effortful cognitive processes."
  • "Consumers may infer the intended conclusion but question the validity of their inference."

Quote:
E) [Advertisers could reduce one of the risks discussed in the last paragraph if they were able to provide] opportunity for consumers to generate their own beliefs or conclusions

(E) doesn't correlate to any of the risks mentioned in the last paragraph. It does show one of the advantages of soft-sell strategies in comparison to hard-sell strategies, but that's not what the question asks us to do.

Compare that to (A):
Quote:
[Advertisers could reduce one of the risks discussed in the last paragraph if they were able to provide] motivation for consumers to think about the advertisement’s message

This is directly tied to the first risk mentioned in the last paragraph. Consumers are likely to miss the point of soft-sell messages when they are not motivated to think. So, by providing motivation to think, advertisers can reduce the risk that consumers miss the point of the message.

I hope that helps!
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 22
Send PM
Question no. 6
Can anyone please help me to understand why option A is not correct?
"However, some consumers may resent being told what to believe and some may distrust the message. Resentment and distrust often lead to counter argumentation and to boomerang effects where consumers come to believe conclusions diametrically opposed to conclusions endorsed in advertising claims."
This part of the passage clearly explains what leads to the boomerang effect.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 9
Send PM
I understand why A is correct but I fail to see why E is wrong. E states "Advertisers could reduce one of the risks discussed in the last paragraph if they were able to provide opportunity for consumers to generate their own beliefs or conclusions"

Doesn't the last part of E directly address the part in the first risk that states "Some consumers may fail to draw their own conclusions"?

GMATNinja wrote:

Question 3

KaushalKhatri wrote:

Quote:

Quote:

Compare that to (A):
Quote:

I hope that helps!
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63668 [0]

Send PM
Expert Reply

Question 6

HeenaKandoi wrote:
Question no. 6
Can anyone please help me to understand why option A is not correct?
"However, some consumers may resent being told what to believe and some may distrust the message. Resentment and distrust often lead to counter argumentation and to boomerang effects where consumers come to believe conclusions diametrically opposed to conclusions endorsed in advertising claims."
This part of the passage clearly explains what leads to the boomerang effect.

The problem is that the portion of the passage that you mention identifies “resentment and distrust” as causes of the boomerang effect. But it indicates that “consumers come to believe conclusions diametrically opposed to conclusions endorsed in advertising claims” in its explanation of what the boomerang effect is.

In other words, by definition, the boomerang effect is when consumers believe conclusions diametrically opposed to those in an advertiser’s message. But simply being exposed to those claims does not CAUSE the boomerang effect. For that reason, we can eliminate (A).

I hope that helps!
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6921 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
GRE Forum Moderator
13960 posts