It is currently 13 Dec 2017, 20:40

Decision(s) Day!:

CHAT Rooms | Ross R1 | Kellogg R1 | Darden R1 | Tepper R1

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

A known cause for the failure of barley crops

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

2 KUDOS received
Retired Moderator

Kudos [?]: 1916 [2], given: 302

Concentration: Economics, Finance
Schools: LBS MIF '19
WE: Asset Management (Investment Banking)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
A known cause for the failure of barley crops [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 May 2015, 11:21
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

55% (hard)

Question Stats:

67% (01:40) correct 33% (01:39) wrong based on 329 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

A known cause for the failure of barley crops is poor aeration of the soil and in particular the seedlings' root zone, but since the introduction of new strains, which are more resistant to waterlogging, barley has survived better after seasonal floods.

aeration of the soil and in particular the seedlings' root zone, but since the introduction of new strains, which are more resistant to waterlogging, barely has survived better after seasonal floods

soil aeration, particularly the seedlings' root zone, but barley is surviving the seasonal floods better, after new strains were introduced, which are more resistant to waterlogging

aeration of the soil and particularly that of the seedlings' root zone, but since the introduction of new strains, which are more resistant to waterlogging, barley has survived better after seasonal floods

soil aeration and in particular that of the seedlings' root zone, but barley are surviving better after seasonal floods, since the introduction of new strains which are more resistant to waterlogging

aeration of the soil, but since the introduction of new waterlogging-resistant strains and in particular of the seedlings' root zone, barley crops are better surviving seasonal floods
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Saving was yesterday, heat up the gmatclub.forum's sentiment by spending KUDOS!

PS Please send me PM if I do not respond to your question within 24 hours.

Kudos [?]: 1916 [2], given: 302

Board of Directors
P

Kudos [?]: 449 [0], given: 207

Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 650 Q49 V30
GPA: 3.92
WE: General Management (Transportation)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 08 May 2015, 11:47
reto wrote:
A known cause for the failure of barley crops is poor aeration of the soil and in particular the seedlings' root zone, but since the introduction of new strains, which are more resistant to waterlogging, barley has survived better after seasonal floods.

aeration of the soil and in particular the seedlings' root zone, but since the introduction of new strains, which are more resistant to waterlogging, barely has survived better after seasonal floods
in particular of - would make this choice correct

soil aeration, particularly the seedlings' root zone, but barley is surviving the seasonal floods better, after new strains were introduced, which are more resistant to waterlogging
tense error
which refers to verb - which is incorrect

aeration of the soil and particularly that of the seedlings' root zone, but since the introduction of new strains, which are more resistant to waterlogging, barley has survived better after seasonal floods
that of - what does it refer to?
I believe that is not really needed here, but it might as well correctly refer to aeration - still
everything else is good!

soil aeration and in particular that of the seedlings' root zone, but barley are surviving better after seasonal floods, since the introduction of new strains which are more resistant to waterlogging
parallelism error
are surviving - tense error
which should be separated from the noun it refers by a comma

aeration of the soil, but since the introduction of new waterlogging-resistant strains and in particular of the seedlings' root zone, barley crops are better surviving seasonal floods
this choice has multiple errors
waterlogging-resistant is not the same as more resitant to waterlogging
aind in particular of the... - i dont even know to what it refers
are better surviving - we have "since" marker - we need present perfect.

while C has a suspicious "that", it is the best answer.

I chose E from the start (maybe being under time pressure while at work affected my thinking :) )

Kudos [?]: 449 [0], given: 207

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 29 [0], given: 0

Re: A known cause for the failure of barley crops [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 May 2015, 12:29
are you sure answer is C.

Because question says " A known cause for the failure of barley crops is <.........> and <.....>.

I guess verb should be are instead of is, or we should not have " and "

Please clarify

Retired Moderator

Kudos [?]: 1916 [0], given: 302

Show Tags

New post 08 May 2015, 12:48
"A known cause..." refers to a singular subject - does that help? Yes its definately C.

Saving was yesterday, heat up the gmatclub.forum's sentiment by spending KUDOS!

PS Please send me PM if I do not respond to your question within 24 hours.

Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 08 May 2015, 12:57
reto wrote:
"A known cause..." refers to a singular subject - does that help? Yes its definately C.

I know A known cause refers to singular subject and verb "is" as well.

but after that sentence shows two things <first> and <second>, it should show only one reason not two.

for eaxample.

reason I left job is salary ....this looks correct

reason I left job is salary and role ....this looks little vague.

correct me if I am wrong.

thanks

Retired Moderator

Show Tags

New post 08 May 2015, 13:08
Well it describes one reason "aeration of the soil and in particular the seedlings' root zone..." which is diffrent to e.g. "aeration of the soil and bad weather" which would be plural i guess, however im not native. You understand what i mean?

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 86 [0], given: 175

Concentration: Operations, Strategy
GMAT 1: 670 Q48 V35
GPA: 3.19
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 16 May 2015, 09:03
I guess intended meaning of sentence is ... aeration of soil and in particular that XYZ particulat zone .... so C is correct

Press +1 Kudos if you find this Post helpful :)

Kudos [?]: 86 [0], given: 175

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Status: Always try to face your worst fear because nothing GOOD comes easy. You must be UNCOMFORTABLE to get to your COMFORT ZONE

Kudos [?]: 97 [0], given: 472

Concentration: Marketing, Technology
GMAT 1: 570 Q44 V25
GMAT 2: 600 Q48 V25
WE: Information Technology (Consulting)
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 13 Apr 2016, 08:09
mvictor wrote:
reto wrote:

tense error

I believe that is not really needed here, but it might as well correctly refer to aeration - still
everything else is good!

parallelism error

I chose E from the start (maybe being under time pressure while at work affected my thinking :) )

Hi,

does "in Particular" must always be followed by "of"

"When you want to succeed as bad as you want to breathe, then you’ll be successful.” - Eric Thomas

I need to work on timing badly!!

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Verbal Expert
S

Kudos [?]: 3636 [1], given: 22

Schools: HHL Leipzig
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE: Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 13 Apr 2016, 09:15
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
This post was
BOOKMARKED
smartguy595 wrote:
mvictor wrote:
reto wrote:

tense error

everything else is good!

parallelism error

Hi,

does "in Particular" must always be followed by "of"

No, "in particular" need not always be followed by "of". Option A requires "of" after "in particular" in order to maintain parallelism between "OF the soil" and "OF the seedlings' root zone".

Correct: I like meat, in particular chicken...... (there is no "of" after "in particular")
Correct: I like the taste of meat, in particular of chicken. ( "of" is required after "in particular" to maintain parallelism between "OF meat" and "OF chicken")

Kudos [?]: 3636 [1], given: 22

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Status: Always try to face your worst fear because nothing GOOD comes easy. You must be UNCOMFORTABLE to get to your COMFORT ZONE

Concentration: Marketing, Technology
GMAT 1: 570 Q44 V25
GMAT 2: 600 Q48 V25
WE: Information Technology (Consulting)
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 13 Apr 2016, 09:25
sayantanc2k

Thanks for the clarification

"When you want to succeed as bad as you want to breathe, then you’ll be successful.” - Eric Thomas

I need to work on timing badly!!

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
S

Kudos [?]: 29 [0], given: 238

Concentration: Finance, Economics
GPA: 3.56
Premium Member Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 14 Jun 2017, 02:05

--> lack of that of

--> lack of that of

Do not pray for an easy life, pray for the strength to endure a difficult one - Bruce Lee

Kudos [?]: 29 [0], given: 238

Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 24

GMAT 1: 650 Q49 V30

Show Tags

New post 18 Jun 2017, 04:31

aeration of the soil and in particular the seedlings' root zone, but since the introduction of new strains, which are more resistant to waterlogging, barely has survived better after seasonal floods "that of" is missing

soil aeration, particularly the seedlings' root zone, but barley is surviving the seasonal floods better, after new strains were introduced, which are more resistant to waterlogging that of is missing, aeration of the soil is needed

aeration of the soil and particularly that of the seedlings' root zone, but since the introduction of new strains, which are more resistant to waterlogging, barley has survived better after seasonal floods correct

soil aeration and in particular that of the seedlings' root zone, but barley are surviving better after seasonal floods, since the introduction of new strains which are more resistant to waterlogging aeration of soil is needed

aeration of the soil, but since the introduction of new waterlogging-resistant strains and in particular of the seedlings' root zone, barley crops are better surviving seasonal floods misplaced modifier

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 24

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 93

CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 27 Nov 2017, 19:02
B and D can be rejected on the ground of tense error. Present continuous tense does make sense here. And D has SV agreement error.E distorts the meaning of Sentence.

Between A and C, C is the best choice as it maintains parallelism.

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 93

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 1

Show Tags

New post 28 Nov 2017, 04:32
viksingh15 wrote:
reto wrote:

I know A known cause refers to singular subject and verb "is" as well.

but after that sentence shows two things <first> and <second>, it should show only one reason not two.

for eaxample.

reason I left job is salary ....this looks correct

reason I left job is salary and role ....this looks little vague.

correct me if I am wrong.

thanks

Nice example !!

Sent from my Redmi Note 4 using GMAT Club Forum mobile app

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 1

Re: A known cause for the failure of barley crops   [#permalink] 28 Nov 2017, 04:32

A known cause for the failure of barley crops

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap