Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 08:21 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 08:21

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1332 [24]
Given Kudos: 51
Send PM
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1173 [1]
Given Kudos: 43
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1332 [1]
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 30 [1]
Given Kudos: 80
Send PM
Re: A leading board member of AutoSnip Co., makers of an automated home ha [#permalink]
Kudos
amitbharadwaj7 wrote:
I want to reopen the discussion on this topic. I found this question in Grockit and official answer is B. But I am not convinced with the solution in Grockit. According to me the conclusion is "in this case the board member's analysis of the situation is mistaken." because the last bold statement in no way states that "the company was in terrible shape".

According to me, answer should be C.

I request Experts to explain.

Boldface 1: calls to the customer service line have nearly doubled.

Boldface 2 : the majority of the new calls have been to place new orders.

Conclusion : in this case the board member's analysis of the situation is mistaken.

Now, boldface 1 does not directly support the conclusion, its interpretation supports the conclusion. Boldface 2 gives clear evidence why conclusion is right !
Hence B.

C, on the other hand, says that Boldface 2 opposes the main conclusion, which is wrong and so this option is incorrect !

Hope it helps.
CR Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 15266 [1]
Given Kudos: 26
Schools:
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE:Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
Send PM
Re: A leading board member of AutoSnip Co., makers of an automated home ha [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
casperatwork wrote:
A leading board member of AutoSnip Co., makers of an automated home haircutting system, recently stated that the company was in terrible shape and headed for a disastrous year. His concern was that, since the introduction of the AutoSnip III last year, calls to the customer service line have nearly doubled, indicating that people are very unhappy with the new product. Although it's true that it is the job of responsible board members to raise issues of concern, in this case the board member's analysis of the situation is mistaken. The customer service line handles not only complaints but also sales, and the majority of the new calls have been to place new orders.

What role do the two boldfaced selections play in the above argument?

A.The first provides evidence supporting the main conclusion of the argument; the second provides evidence supporting a conclusion that the argument opposes.
B. The first provides evidence, an interpretation of which supports the main conclusion of the argument; the second provides evidence supporting the main conclusion of the argument.
C. The first provides incontrovertible evidence opposing the main conclusion of the argument; the second provides evidence supporting the main conclusion of the argument.
D. The first provides evidence supporting the main conclusion of the argument; the second states that main conclusion.
E. The first provides evidence, an interpretation of which opposes the main conclusion of the argument; the second provides that interpretation.

How is B the correct answer?

If the main conclusion is 'The Board Member's analysis is mistaken' then how is 'first bold face' supporting the conclusion?

Option B does NOT state that the first bold face part supports conclusion. It states that one interpretation of the first bold face part supports the argument: the interpretation is in fact the second bold face part - calls to the customer service line have nearly doubled can be interpreted as there are many sales calls to place order.
Director
Director
Affiliations: PMI,QAI Global,eXampleCG
Own Kudos [?]: 589 [0]
Given Kudos: 10
Send PM
Went for C and E instead.

Picked up C as the first statement is an evidence opposing the main conclusion. Here is where I made the mistake.
2nd statement is essentially an evidence supporting the main conclusion.

time 55 sec.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1332 [0]
Send PM
that is how it feels under acute time pressure . the easiest questions are wrongly answered
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 4702 [0]
Given Kudos: 376
Send PM
garimavyas wrote:
the challenge is to solve this is less than 45 sec.

A leading board member of AutoSnip Co., makers of an automated home haircutting system, recently stated that the company was in terrible shape and headed for a disastrous year. His concern was that, since the introduction of the AutoSnip III last year, calls to the customer service line have nearly doubled, indicating that people are very unhappy with the new product. Although it's true that it is the job of responsible board members to raise issues of concern, in this case the board member's analysis of the situation is mistaken. The customer service line handles not only complaints but also sales, and the majority of the new calls have been to place new orders.

A.The first provides evidence supporting the main conclusion of the argument; the second provides evidence supporting a conclusion that the argument opposes.
B. The first provides evidence, an interpretation of which supports the main conclusion of the argument; the second provides evidence supporting the main conclusion of the argument.
C. The first provides incontrovertible evidence opposing the main conclusion of the argument; the second provides evidence supporting the main conclusion of the argument.
D. The first provides evidence supporting the main conclusion of the argument; the second states that main conclusion.
E. The first provides evidence, an interpretation of which opposes the main conclusion of the argument; the second provides that interpretation.

What is the main conclusion here?
This one is perhaps the closest to a conclusion: "the board member's analysis of the situation is mistaken".

"C" makes more sense in my opinion.
The first provides evidence that is an opposition of this conclusion.
The second provides an evidence how the conclusion holds true; supporting.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Status:Impossible is not a fact. It's an opinion. It's a dare. Impossible is nothing.
Affiliations: University of Chicago Booth School of Business
Own Kudos [?]: 892 [0]
Given Kudos: 123
Send PM
Are you sure the answer is B? Did you miss the main conclusion ?
main conclusion - "board member's analysis of the situation is mistaken"

First boldface - evidence in support of the claim "people are very unhappy with the new product"
Second boldface - evidence in support of the main conclusion "board member's analysis of the situation is mistaken"

Moreover this CR was re-written. See the OG question - #64 in OG12. The answer is C. And C should be the answer in this one.

Here is my analysis -

A - is wrong since the second boldface is NOT the conclusion. The conclusion is boad members are wrong
B - is wrong since the first boldface will NOT support the main conclusion. It will support its own claim which is 180 deg to the main conclusion. First boldface will support the claim "people are very unhappy with the new product"
D - The first boldface is NOT supporting the main conclusion

So the answer should be C or E
garimavyas wrote:
the challenge is to solve this is less than 45 sec.

Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 129 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
@gmat1220..In agreement with you..I picked C too..What is the final OA guys?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 119 [0]
Given Kudos: 60
Concentration: Technology, General Management
GMAT 1: 530 Q50 V14
GMAT 2: 630 Q48 V29
WE:Engineering (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
I want to reopen the discussion on this topic. I found this question in Grockit and official answer is B. But I am not convinced with the solution in Grockit. According to me the conclusion is "in this case the board member's analysis of the situation is mistaken." because the last bold statement in no way states that "the company was in terrible shape".

Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 30 [0]
Given Kudos: 80
Send PM
vishalrastogi wrote:
amitbharadwaj7 wrote:

Boldface 1: calls to the customer service line have nearly doubled.

Boldface 2 : the majority of the new calls have been to place new orders.

Conclusion : in this case the board member's analysis of the situation is mistaken.

Now, boldface 1 does not directly support the conclusion, its interpretation supports the conclusion. Boldface 2 gives clear evidence why conclusion is right !
Hence B.

C, on the other hand, says that Boldface 2 opposes the main conclusion, which is wrong and so this option is incorrect !

Hope it helps.

A small typo error. C , incorrectly says that boldface 1 opposes main conclusion, which is wrong !
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 100 [0]
Given Kudos: 37
Concentration: Marketing, Strategy
GPA: 3.62
WE:Engineering (Manufacturing)
Send PM
as stated in E...the second part is not the interpretation that is supported by first bold face
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 82 [0]
Given Kudos: 105
Send PM
This is how I worked on this problem,
I think that the main conclusion is the 1st sentence of argument “recently stated that the company was in terrible shape and headed for a disastrous year.” Saying this cuz this is someone’s opinion, and concluded that the firm is in bad shape.

Now, why he concluded that, cuz this “His concern was that, since the introduction of the AutoSnip III last year, [b]calls to the customer service line have nearly doubled, indicating that people are very unhappy with the new product.” So the bold part is here, supporting the main conclusion.

So, “The customer service line handles not only complaints but also sales, and the majority of the new calls have been to place new orders.” Saying that slas are growing. Bold here is a counter premise, directly opposing the main conclusion which is on the other side.

Hence, I think correct should be A. The first provides evidence supporting the main conclusion of the argument; the second provides evidence supporting a conclusion( that company is doing good) that the argument opposes ( that is not doing good).
I don’t go for B since my understanding says that the boldfaces are opposing to eachoter, and B is having both on the same side.

I kindly ask for any opinions here, Thanks
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [0]
Given Kudos: 69
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Human Resources
GMAT Date: 06-27-2015
Send PM
Some expert should take up this question....................... :?:
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 46 [1]
Given Kudos: 166
Send PM