Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 04:37 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 04:37

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618920 [8]
Given Kudos: 81595
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 117 [1]
Given Kudos: 103
Send PM
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 1561 [1]
Given Kudos: 27
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 179 [0]
Given Kudos: 14
Send PM
A list of five integers has the following criteria: I. The median of [#permalink]
Quote:
If 6 is the median of a series of 5 numbers, then it is the third number in the series.

__ __ 6 __ __

Quote:
If 2 is the mode, then 2 is the most frequent and thus the first two elements in the series.

2 2 6 __ __

Quote:
Since (average) x (quantity) = sum, then (5)(5) = 25 is the sum

Quote:
The first three elements total 10. Thus the final two elements must total 15 (25-10 = 15).

For 6 to me the median, it has to be the 3rd element in the list and hence, the next integer needs to be bigger than 6. Which n least case is 7.

Quote:
SO, The only two elements that total 15 and that satisfy the conditions are 7 and 8
Answer:E

Quote:
The most common mistake that one needs to avoid here is is to account for this scenario: For 6 to me the median, it has to be the 3rd element in the list and hence, the next integer needs to be bigger than 6. Which n least case is 7.
Target Test Prep Representative
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Own Kudos [?]: 22050 [0]
Given Kudos: 283
Send PM
Re: A list of five integers has the following criteria: I. The median of [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Bunuel wrote:
A list of five integers has the following criteria:

I. The median of the list is 6
II. The mode of the list is 2
III. The mean of the list is 5

Which of the following must true?

A. The sum of the five integers is 30.
B. The sum of the five integers is 10.
C. The median of the three largest integers is 6.
D. The largest of the integers is 9.
E. The largest of the integers is 8.

Solution:

Since the mean is 5 and there are 5 integers, the sum of the integers is 25. Therefore, we can see both A and B are false. Since the mode is 2 and the median is 6, we see that the five integers are 2, 2, 6, x, y where 6 < x < y. Since the sum of the integers is 25, the sum of x and y is 25 - (2 + 2 + 6) = 15. Therefore, x must be 7 and y must be 8 since 6 < x < y and x + y = 15. We see that the largest of the integers is 8.

Answer: E
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 223 [0]
Given Kudos: 434
Send PM
Re: A list of five integers has the following criteria: I. The median of [#permalink]
We have five integers. We are told the median of the list is 6:

_ _ 6 _ _

The mode of the list is 2. Since 6 is the median, this indicates that 2 appears twice:

2 2 6 _ _

The mean of the list is 5. This means the five numbers total up to 25:

2 2 6 7 8

The only way for the numbers to total 25 is to have one number as 7 and one number as 8. By going through the answer choices, only E fits the criteria. Answer is E.
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 821 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club BumpBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
Math Expert
92912 posts
Senior Moderator - Masters Forum
3137 posts