It is currently 11 Dec 2017, 18:01

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

A local bio-pharma startup

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
P

Kudos [?]: 174 [0], given: 350

Reviews Badge
A local bio-pharma startup [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 Sep 2016, 02:17
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

95% (hard)

Question Stats:

21% (01:16) correct 79% (01:34) wrong based on 752 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Can anyone please explain this one?....
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Attachments

Screenshot_24.png
Screenshot_24.png [ 159.02 KiB | Viewed 4716 times ]

We Shall Overcome... One day...

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 1 [1], given: 6

Re: A local bio-pharma startup [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 Sep 2016, 10:50
This post received
KUDOS
nahid78 wrote:

I'd go with D since the startup is trying to attract the best biopharma managers by offering monetary benefits and had making a difference in the field of medicine been the primary motivation of the managers, the strategy wouldn't be succesful.

Kudos [?]: 1 [1], given: 6

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
P

Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 11 Sep 2016, 12:22
nikhilgupta1991 wrote:
nahid78 wrote:

I'd go with D since the startup is trying to attract the best biopharma managers by offering monetary benefits and had making a difference in the field of medicine been the primary motivation of the managers, the strategy wouldn't be succesful.

D is the correct answer. Would you please explain it in more details?

We Shall Overcome... One day...

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 4

Show Tags

New post 19 Sep 2016, 15:34
If making the difference in medicine is the primary objective, the managers would not stay in the company based on salary or bonuses not they will train their engineers working under them. The managers will be moving to organisation where their primary objective will get fulfilled irrespective of salary and other incentives.

Hence D is correct because primary objective is different other than making a difference and that objective is salary and bonus or some other.

Hope my analysis helps.

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 4

Expert Post
4 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
G

Kudos [?]: 239 [4], given: 21

GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V51

Show Tags

New post 30 Nov 2016, 05:53
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
This post was
BOOKMARKED
The key to getting this one right is noticing that the conclusion is that this startup will produce the "best" results.

So there is a comparison going on. This startup is being compared with other companies in the same industry, and the only difference we have been told about, the difference that will make the results different, the best, is the fact the the science managers are going to be paid twice the industry standard.

So that pay difference is reason that this company is expected to be different from others.

(A) This does not somehow strengthen the connection between double pay and producing the best results. For one thing, for all we know, the managers at the other companies are also top engineers.

(B) The easiest way to eliminate B, and this type of answer shows up in a lot of GMAT CR questions, is that B does not talk about something that makes this startup different from others. Right? The point it that this startup is different, and for all we know at all such startups' managers' bonuses are based on performance.

Meanwhile, what B says does not directly or specifically strengthen the idea that paying double will likely generate the best results.

(C) As is the case with A and B, this neither differentiates the company nor directly strengthens the relationship between double pay and producing the best results.

(D) This is clearly related to the connection between paying double and getting the best results. If the primary motivation of the best science managers were not pay but rather making a difference, then one might not attract the best managers, or produce the best results, by simply paying double. So what this says eliminates a potential issue, strengthening the conclusion that paying double will result in producing the best results.

(E) This is tempting, in that one might think that in order for the plan to work, this company has to be able to get managers to move to it from other companies. However, there are many ways to get employees, and for all we know the employees of companies like this one are generally hired right out of school or from universities or something. Meanwhile, if managers were not able to move from company to company, other companies would face the same challenge. So what this choice says does not change the relationship between double pay and best results and is not clearly important for making the plan work.

The correct answer is
[Reveal] Spoiler:
D

Marty Murray
GMAT Coach
m.w.murray@hotmail.com
http://infinitemindprep.com

Kudos [?]: 239 [4], given: 21

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 13 [1], given: 57

Show Tags

New post 05 Dec 2016, 22:47
This post received
KUDOS
the conclusion here is not whether the company will produce the best result but instead is whether the salary and bonuses at double the industry standard will attract and retain the best managers.
D is the right answer - In order to strengthen the conclusion that salary will attract and retain the best managers we need to prove that those managers are not interested in making a difference in the field of medecine but rather by money. Given that BioPharma offers the best salaries they will stay.

Kudos [?]: 13 [1], given: 57

Manager
Manager
S

Kudos [?]: 24 [0], given: 510

GPA: 3.2
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 06 Mar 2017, 22:00
I dont like this question, please let me know if I am deluded. In D, making a difference in field of medicine is not primary motivation does not mean that money is the primary motivation. How can that be assumed?

Kudos [?]: 24 [0], given: 510

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 46

Concentration: General Management, Economics
WE: Consulting (Consulting)

Show Tags

New post 07 Mar 2017, 06:08
OreoShake wrote:
I dont like this question, please let me know if I am deluded. In D, making a difference in field of medicine is not primary motivation does not mean that money is the primary motivation. How can that be assumed?

OreoShake, I have the same feeling about this question...but the point is:

If making a difference in the field of medicine IS the primary motivation for the best science managers, then the argument is flawed (or at least is weakened), because the startup wouldn't attract and retain the best science managers.

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 46

VP
VP
S

Kudos [?]: 44 [0], given: 1337

GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V33
GPA: 3.64

Show Tags

New post 22 Sep 2017, 10:32
this is a common pattern in gmat, test takers should learn this.

Both D and E are assumptions. Nevertheless, E does not fit the scope of this argument.

Manager
Manager
S

Kudos [?]: 29 [0], given: 195

Concentration: Leadership, Strategy
GMAT 1: 560 Q48 V20
GPA: 3
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 23 Sep 2017, 11:15
Hello chesstitans would you please provide few questions on this pattern, the one you stated, that is used commonly.

Also could you please add a little more explanation to the learning that need to be inculcated for this pattern.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
When nothing seem to help, I would go and look at a Stonecutter hammering away at his rock perhaps a hundred time without as much as a crack showing in it.
Yet at the hundred and first blow it would split in two.
And I knew it was not that blow that did it, But all that had gone Before

Kudos [?]: 29 [0], given: 195

VP
VP
S

Show Tags

New post 23 Sep 2017, 20:57
Prashant10692 wrote:
Hello chesstitans would you please provide few questions on this pattern, the one you stated, that is used commonly.

Also could you please add a little more explanation to the learning that need to be inculcated for this pattern.

learn the pattern is the short way to memorize the question.

There are approximately 2000 questions that are probable to appear in gmat, and those are good questions with great traps and clear explanations, but the verbal only has 41 questions. Certainly, most of the questions will come from those 2000 questions.
THIS IS THE PATTERN: The best way is to memorize all details for each question. Another way is to memorize the logic, and the main argument structure and the main idea from the passage. Then, memorize the how options are built to fit the questions.

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 32

CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 15 Nov 2017, 05:34
Hi mikemcgarry Mahmud6
option D doesn't specifically mention that the main motive of the scientists is to earn money. It only says that they are not interested in pharma work. Then how does this strenthen the argument??
plz help.

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 32

1 KUDOS received
VP
VP
S

Kudos [?]: 44 [1], given: 1337

Show Tags

New post 16 Nov 2017, 16:55
This post received
KUDOS
Hussain110 wrote:
Hi mikemcgarry Mahmud6
option D doesn't specifically mention that the main motive of the scientists is to earn money. It only says that they are not interested in pharma work. Then how does this strenthen the argument??
plz help.

Certainly, you must be sure that only B or D are candidates for the right answer.
D is an important pattern in Kaplan b/c D crosses out a possibility that managers are not motivated by double bonuses and salaries, but the differences. => D strengthens.
B is a trap b/c the argument talks about STANDARD of salaries and bonuses, while B discusses the performances and the bonuses. Also, B can both strengthen and weaken an argument.

Kudos [?]: 44 [1], given: 1337

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 1

Show Tags

New post 16 Nov 2017, 22:53
OreoShake wrote:

I feel the same.
Though ABCE are obviously wrong.
This is about picking the best option.

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 1

VP
VP
S

Show Tags

New post 18 Nov 2017, 22:24
icarusp wrote:
OreoShake wrote:

I feel the same.
Though ABCE are obviously wrong.
This is about picking the best option.

picking the best option is an important pattern in gmat.

Expert Post
2 KUDOS received
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
G

Kudos [?]: 8936 [2], given: 111

Show Tags

New post 20 Nov 2017, 14:50
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Hussain110 wrote:
Hi mikemcgarry Mahmud6
plz help.

Dear Hussain110,

I see that chesstitans already responded, but I'm happy to add my two cents. :-)

I think this a poorly constructed question. (A) & (C) & (E) are clearly wrong. Choices (B) & (D) are both plausible but each has its problems: frankly, I would be hard-pressed to determine which is "better" of these two poor choices. Both are bad, and neither is up to the standards of a correct answer on the GMAT. This question does NOT model the kind of choices a student would make on the GMAT.

As for (D), even if the #1 highest priority of some of the best pharma managers is making a difference in the field of medicine, then there may be a few companies where this is a possibility, and one might as well go to the one that has the super-high salaries. Even if money is a #2 or #3 priority, paying an extremely high salary is still an excellent way to get very good people. Furthermore, if making that difference is not their highest priority, what is? Travel distance? Company culture? We don't know that automatically it would be money. (D) is very fuzzy.

This question does NOT have the clean feeling of an official GMAT CR question. The author, in trying to construct a tricky question, has produced a question without structural integrity.

Here's a high quality CR practice question:
According to Federal VA

Does all this make sense?
Mike :-)

Mike McGarry
Magoosh Test Prep

Education is not the filling of a pail, but the lighting of a fire. — William Butler Yeats (1865 – 1939)

Kudos [?]: 8936 [2], given: 111

VP
VP
S

Show Tags

New post 21 Nov 2017, 15:33
mikemcgarry wrote:
Hussain110 wrote:
Hi mikemcgarry Mahmud6
plz help.

Dear Hussain110,

I see that chesstitans already responded, but I'm happy to add my two cents. :-)

I think this a poorly constructed question. (A) & (C) & (E) are clearly wrong. Choices (B) & (D) are both plausible but each has its problems: frankly, I would be hard-pressed to determine which is "better" of these two poor choices. Both are bad, and neither is up to the standards of a correct answer on the GMAT. This question does NOT model the kind of choices a student would make on the GMAT.

As for (D), even if the #1 highest priority of some of the best pharma managers is making a difference in the field of medicine, then there may be a few companies where this is a possibility, and one might as well go to the one that has the super-high salaries. Even if money is a #2 or #3 priority, paying an extremely high salary is still an excellent way to get very good people. Furthermore, if making that difference is not their highest priority, what is? Travel distance? Company culture? We don't know that automatically it would be money. (D) is very fuzzy.

This question does NOT have the clean feeling of an official GMAT CR question. The author, in trying to construct a tricky question, has produced a question without structural integrity.

Here's a high quality CR practice question:
According to Federal VA

Does all this make sense?
Mike :-)

I now can see why this question is considered a lelvel 700 question that many people have chosen wrong answers.

Re: A local bio-pharma startup   [#permalink] 21 Nov 2017, 15:33

A local bio-pharma startup

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap