Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 06:17 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 06:17

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 2527 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 2527 [0]
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Send PM
Re: A long-term health study that followed a group of people who [#permalink]
24. A long-term health study that followed a group of people who were age 35 in 1950 found that those whose weight increased by approximately half a kilogram or one pound per year after the age of 35 tended, on the whole, to live longer than those who maintained the weight they had at age 35. This finding seems at variance with other studies that have associated weight gain with a host of health problems that tend to lower life expectancy.

Which one of the following, if true, most helps to resolve the apparently conflicting findings?

Conflict: 1950 study --> 1 pound per kg increase after 35 yrs of age live longer Vs Latter --> weight gain reduces life

(A) As people age, muscle and bone tissue tends to make up a smaller and smaller proportion of total body weight. --> this tells that body weight decreases with age, but there is nothing mentioned about lifespan, so irrelevant
(B) Individuals who reduce their cholesterol levels by losing weight can thereby also reduce their risk of dying from heart attacks or strokes. --> this gains added point to the latter, but it does not resolve the conflict happening in the passage.
(C) Smokers, who tend to be leaner than nonsmokers, tend to have shorter life spans than nonsmokers. --> Even though smokers are lean, they have less life. Here smokers are just a group of people taken for example. This point is that not only weight gain decreases life. Even if the smokers maintain a normal weight, their life time is less. This gives a valid point that there are lot of other problems for lower lifespan, This builds a good point to resolve the conflicts.
(D) The normal deterioration of the human immune system with age can be slowed down by a reduction in the number of calories consumed. --> This seems like a suggestion, but this statement does not resolve the conflict
(E) Diets that tend to lead to weight gain often contain not only excess fat but also unhealthful concentrations of sugar and sodium. --> Diet is not the topic of discussion, so out.

IMO C
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1850 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
GMAT 2: 670
Send PM
I don't think any of these answers explain anything. :cry:
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 928 [0]
Given Kudos: 16
Concentration: Technology, Marketing
GMAT 1: 700 Q50 V34
GPA: 3
WE:Sales (Telecommunications)
Send PM
vaivish1723 wrote:
(C) Smokers, who tend to be leaner than nonsmokers, tend to have shorter life spans than nonsmokers.

That means being leaner than nonsmokers adds to the danger of having shorter life spans.
The reason which explains the above phenomenon also helps in resolving the paradox mentioned in the question stimulus.

IMO C
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 65 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
The way C is structured shows that a paradox is the answer for another paradox....

i.e the unusualness shown in one scenario can be taken to show the unusualness in an another scenario.

I am totally unconvinced.

Can anyone please explain a little more ?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 186 [0]
Send PM
c? no way
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 29 [0]
Send PM
Can you please share the source of this question .
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 29 [0]
Send PM
Searched this forum and came up with this

cr-weight-loss-74685.html
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 2326 [0]
Given Kudos: 56
Concentration: IT Consultancy
 Q50  V38
WE 1: 5.5 yrs in IT
Send PM
vaivish1723 wrote:
(C) Smokers, who tend to be leaner than nonsmokers, tend to have shorter life spans than nonsmokers.

I don't agree with C. This option is just talking about Smokers. Based on the statistics of a smaller class of people, we cannot conclude the same for a larger class.

Though other options are even big NO NO.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
I'd go with C.
To help explain the discrepancy, there's to be a point to substantiate the weight gain.

Option C, which talks about smokers being leaner & more short lived, contributes to the fact of weight gain being Healthy
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Send PM
My answer is C (OA) and I'd like to explain my logic

Premise 1: People who gained weight at a rate of 1 pound/year lived longer than those who did not gain weight
Premise 2: This contradicts typical studies which shows weight gain as a leading cause of illness that leads to shorter lives

OK I admit this is not a great question, but hear me out

Now, assume that there are two groups of people in the health study - smokers and non smokers. Those who smoke tend to not only lead shorter lives, they also don't gain weight. Even though people who don't smoke and gain weight still face health problems due to weight gain, they have longer lifespans than smokers who don't gain any weight (who have more serious health problems due to lung cancer etc than obesity/diabetes etc).

Archived Topic
Hi there,
This topic has been closed and archived due to inactivity or violation of community quality standards. No more replies are possible here.
Where to now? Join ongoing discussions on thousands of quality questions in our Critical Reasoning (CR) Forum
Still interested in this question? Check out the "Best Topics" block above for a better discussion on this exact question, as well as several more related questions.
Thank you for understanding, and happy exploring!
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6920 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts