Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 22:33 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 22:33

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 6040 [118]
Given Kudos: 543
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64887 [30]
Given Kudos: 426
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 2467 [26]
Given Kudos: 185
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
Send PM
General Discussion
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [4]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Re: A machine has two flat circular plates of the same diameter both plate [#permalink]
Kudos
The four equidistant circular rings on the first circular plate divides it into four equal parts; so each part is 1/4
The five equidistant rings on the second cirular plate divides it into five equal parts; each part is 1/5

If one of the circular plate is overlaid on the other with a pair of circular holes aligned, the holes will be 1/4 minus 1/5 = 1/20 apart from each other. If we have to align a different pair of circles, we have to move the circular plate on the top 1/20 * 360 degrees.
1/20*360 = 18 degrees.

Further explanation: I interpreted this as a form of a circle and its sector problem. Area covered by a sector is given by A = angle/360 * area of the circle
If we take area of the circular plate as 1, the area covered by each sector will be 1/20. We are asked to find out the angle subtended by the sector between the holes.

1/20 = angle/360 *1

angle = 360/20

So C is the answer.

Hope this approach helps.
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 7207 [0]
Given Kudos: 193
Concentration: General Management, Technology
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
Re: A machine has two flat circular plates of the same diameter both plate [#permalink]
Refer screenshot below:

I just believe that it takes more time to read the problem than to solve it
Attachments

cir.jpg
cir.jpg [ 40.46 KiB | Viewed 25659 times ]

Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 216 [10]
Given Kudos: 28
Send PM
Kudos
"Align a pair of circles..."

When I read this question, in my mind, I understood it as two circle from each plate have to be aligned. I spent 10 minutes tryin to figure out how the f@#$, you align two sets of holes on a plate with 4 90* seprated circle on top of 5 holed plate with 72* seperation. What they meant was a pair of holes from the TWO DIFFERENT PLATES.

Is this really math exam or an english exam. Honest to christ, I dont know.

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 17 [0]
Given Kudos: 39
Concentration: General Management, International Business
GPA: 3.65
Send PM
Can some one please explain to me what does this mean:
"one plate is placed on top of the other so that their centers are aligned and two of the holes are perfectly aligned. "

How can two holes be aligned in this scenario ... I am not able to figure this out.
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64887 [0]
Given Kudos: 426
Send PM
Expert Reply
thapliya wrote:
"one plate is placed on top of the other so that their centers are aligned and two of the holes are perfectly aligned. "

How can two holes be aligned in this scenario ... I am not able to figure this out.

Look at the original diagram given. If you just put one plate perfectly on top of the other, in their current position, their top holes will be aligned.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 110 [1]
Given Kudos: 212
Concentration: Operations, Strategy
Schools: ISB '18 (D)
GMAT 1: 600 Q49 V23
GMAT 2: 680 Q49 V34
GPA: 3.9
Send PM
Kudos
thapliya wrote:

one hole from each plate is coinciding that is how two holes are aligned in this scenario
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11664 [4]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Kudos