It is currently 22 Jun 2017, 12:02

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

A majority of the international journalists surveyed view

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

VP
VP
B
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V48
GRE 1: 1540 Q800 V740
Re: Confused [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 May 2012, 04:25
A, B, and C are clearly wrong because they involve a missing verb after 'but'

Between D and E, D is better because it uses the correct tense 'will' instead of 'would'. Second, there is a missing 'be' after 'would'.

D it is.

GyanOne | Top MBA Rankings and MBA Admissions Blog

Top MBA Admissions Consulting | Top MiM Admissions Consulting

Premium MBA Essay Review|Best MBA Interview Preparation|Exclusive GMAT coaching

Get a FREE Detailed MBA Profile Evaluation | Call us now +91 98998 31738

Expert Post
MBA Admissions Consultant
B

Show Tags

New post 19 May 2012, 09:51
I agree. D is the correct answer . This is the only sentence that makes complete sense.

MyEssayReview - A personalized and dedicated consulting service
Email:poonam@myessayreview.com

Image Image Image

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
e-GMAT Representative
B

Show Tags

New post 21 May 2012, 07:43
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Hi All,

A majority of the international journalists surveyed view nuclear power stations as unsafe at present but that they will, or could, be made sufficiently safe in the future.

Error Analysis:

Conjunction “but” joins two independent clauses. But we have a dependent clause after “but” that does not connect too well with the preceding independent clause. The meaning of the sentence is not very clear from the way this sentence has been written.

POE:

Choice A: that they will, or could,: Incorrect for the reasons stated above.

Choice B: that they would, or could,: Incorrect. Same errors as in choice A.

Choice C: they will be or could: Incorrect. Pronoun “they” appears as the subject of the second independent clause and “a majority of the international journalists surveyed” is the subject of the first independent clause. The placement of “they” is such that it refers to the subject of the first independent clause that makes the sentence illogical.

Choice D: think that they will be or could: Correct.

Choice E: think the power stations would or could: Incorrect. Use of “would” is incorrect in this sentence. When the reported speech is in the present tense then the future tense verb in the statement should be “will”. “would” is used when the reported speech is in the past tense. In this choice the reported speech “think” is in present tense. Hence the verb “will” should be used here and not “would”.

Hope this helps.
Thanks.
Shraddha

| '4 out of Top 5' Instructors on gmatclub | 70 point improvement guarantee | www.e-gmat.com

Intern
Intern
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
GMAT 1: 710 Q50 V35
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)

Show Tags

New post 03 Jun 2012, 21:41
Doesn't "They" in the option D give an impression that it is referring to "journalists" instead of "Power Stations"
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Technology, Marketing
GMAT Date: 08-27-2012
GPA: 3.8
WE: Marketing (Manufacturing)

Show Tags

New post 05 Jun 2012, 00:13
nikhilarora88 wrote:
A majority of the international journalists surveyed view nuclear power stations as unsafe at present but that they will, or could, be made sufficiently safe in the future.
(A) that they will, or could,
(B) that they would, or could,
(C) they will be or could
(D) think that they will be or could
(E) think the power stations would or could

i am with E.
a. Pronoun they is referring to Journalists or powerstations : not clear
b.Pronoun they is referring to Journalists or powerstations : not clear
c.Pronoun they is referring to Journalists or powerstations : not clear
d.Pronoun they is referring to Journalists or powerstations : not clear
e. correct and would or could are parallel.

OA please??

kudos me if you like my post.

Attitude determine everything.
all the best and God bless you.

Intern
Intern
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
GMAT 1: 710 Q50 V35
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)

Show Tags

New post 05 Jun 2012, 06:25
The official answer is "D"..:)
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 22 Aug 2012, 04:24
egmat wrote:
Hi All,

Error Analysis:

Conjunction “but” joins two independent clauses. But we have a dependent clause after “but” that does not connect too well with the preceding independent clause. The meaning of the sentence is not very clear from the way this sentence has been written.

POE:

Choice C: they will be or could: Incorrect. Pronoun “they” appears as the subject of the second independent clause and “a majority of the international journalists surveyed” is the subject of the first independent clause. The placement of “they” is such that it refers to the subject of the first independent clause that makes the sentence illogical.

Choice E: think the power stations would or could: Incorrect. Use of “would” is incorrect in this sentence. When the reported speech is in the present tense then the future tense verb in the statement should be “will”. “would” is used when the reported speech is in the past tense. In this choice the reported speech “think” is in present tense. Hence the verb “will” should be used here and not “would”.

Hope this helps.
Thanks.
Shraddha

according to above point, usage of "could" should also be incorrect as it is a past tense construction

another point, i eliminated D) because "will" cannot be parallel to "could", "will" is parallel to "can" and "would" is parallel to "could"
Manager
Manager
Status: SLOGGING : My son says,This time Papa u will have to make it : Innocence is BLISS
WE: Sales (Energy and Utilities)
Re: A majority of the international journalists surveyed view [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 Aug 2012, 07:30
its bxn C or D...... As only these 2 maintain the correct Parallelism.... WILL BE OR COULD BE

D: Journalists view X (stations are unsafe) ............BUT ........... They think Y -------- Parallel

what can they refer back to ............. Unanimously Journalists and not stations ( because stations cannot THINK - NOTE the following verb )

now scanning the latter half ie Y

THey will be........OR.......could be made safe

Now the intent of the sent scores over : Can journalists be made safe ------ Guess no ; Thus here they only can refer back to Stations.

Leading to D - my take.
Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 29 Aug 2012, 17:37
egmat wrote:
Hi All,

Error Analysis:

POE:

Hope this helps.
Thanks.
Shraddha

@egmat

Can you please explain more about this . I am still not clear on how they is not ambigous. Though i am convinced that in option E , will should be used , i am not convinced for option B
Director
Director
Concentration: General Management, General Management
GMAT 1: 630 Q47 V29
GMAT 2: 680 Q50 V32
GPA: 3.7
WE: Information Technology (Investment Banking)
Premium Member
A majority of the international journalists surveyed view [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 Dec 2012, 07:37
This post was
BOOKMARKED
26. A majority of the international journalists surveyed view nuclear power stations as unsafe at present but that they will, or could, be made sufficiently safe in the future.

Source: Brutal SC's

Again I am having same doubt , I had PM'ed 2-3 GMAT instructors long back but no one replied my luck :P

This was my query will be glad if someone explain this :

"This is regarding the pronoun antecedent rule . I have one query regarding that.

When we are 100% sure that a pronoun refer backs to a particular noun, I mean it depends on person to person how they interpret.

For example:

The city lights when turned on disturb many residents so they are turned off. (This is ambiguity that residents are turned off, or it is self understood that lights are turned off).
The city lights when turned on disturb many residents so they turn them off. (Who turn Whom off? or it is also self understood that residents turn city lights off).

Plz quote a thumb rule ."

Rgds,
TGC!

Expert Post
MBA Section Director
G
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.8
WE: Marketing (Energy and Utilities)
Re: A majority of the international journalists surveyed [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 Dec 2012, 07:48
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 620 Q50 V27
GMAT 2: 730 Q50 V39
Reviews Badge
Re: A majority of the international journalists [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 27 Aug 2013, 14:56
sap wrote:
In Option 'E' the pronoun 'they' is replaced by power stations, isnt it clearer ?

in 'D' they could refer to the journalists as well.,

I think 'E' can also be considered as a viable option !!

Ambiguity is not a strong issue for elimination in GMAT. In the D, it is clear that journalists cannot be made safer. Undoubtly they refers power stations.

The problem with E, in my oppinion, is changing the meaning and redundancy. Intended meaning is "stations will be safer or could be made safer". It is clearly written in D, while in E we have "stations would/will be made safer or could be made safer". Redundancy. " Will be safer" against "will be made safer". I put on the first.
1 KUDOS received
S
Re: A majority of the international journalists surveyed view nu [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 Jan 2014, 08:40
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
kiransaxena1988 wrote:

OA is 'D', please explain..... not getting why the answer is 'D', it should be 'A'

Not a good question.

After but you should use a pronoun that unambiguously refers to an antecedent

A B and C use that after but: its usage is completely wrong.

One one hand is true that "that" is used with restrictive phrases and restrictive phrases are phrases that are essential to the sentence. On the other hands has no meaning to the economy of the same.

E seems that the power stations think per se and this is absurd

D use they: at glance the usage of "they" seems ok but it could refers to journalists or power stations

Please provide the source of this question

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS AND RESOURCES
Quant: 1. ALL GMATPrep questions Quant/Verbal 2. Bunuel Signature Collection - The Next Generation 3. Bunuel Signature Collection ALL-IN-ONE WITH SOLUTIONS 4. Veritas Prep Blog PDF Version 5. MGMAT Study Hall Thursdays with Ron Quant Videos
Verbal:1. Verbal question bank and directories by Carcass 2. MGMAT Study Hall Thursdays with Ron Verbal Videos 3. Critical Reasoning_Oldy but goldy question banks 4. Sentence Correction_Oldy but goldy question banks 5. Reading-comprehension_Oldy but goldy question banks

2 KUDOS received
S

Show Tags

New post 13 Jan 2014, 17:13
This post received
KUDOS
Paris75 wrote:
I agree, poor question..

here THEY can only refer to stations, since in the first part of the sentence you are dealing with A majority of the international journalists and this is singular...

Therefore D is really good, but still poor question! Totally agree with carcass !

Hope it helps!

This is not properly correct

As rule of thumb THE (number, majority and so on) indicates singular. Vice versa A (number majority ) indicates PLURAL.

But even if you do not discern this the context comes in handy: doesn't make sense to say:

A majority of railway commuters read or listen to music while traveling. (here doesn't make sense the usage of singular)

The majority of railway commuters reads or listens to music while traveling (vice versa of above)

Here we can choose what is singular or plural relying on the context.

Hope is clear

regards

PS: the examples above come from MGMAT forum.

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS AND RESOURCES
Quant: 1. ALL GMATPrep questions Quant/Verbal 2. Bunuel Signature Collection - The Next Generation 3. Bunuel Signature Collection ALL-IN-ONE WITH SOLUTIONS 4. Veritas Prep Blog PDF Version 5. MGMAT Study Hall Thursdays with Ron Quant Videos
Verbal:1. Verbal question bank and directories by Carcass 2. MGMAT Study Hall Thursdays with Ron Verbal Videos 3. Critical Reasoning_Oldy but goldy question banks 4. Sentence Correction_Oldy but goldy question banks 5. Reading-comprehension_Oldy but goldy question banks

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 05 Feb 2014, 04:55
sivasanjeev wrote:
Striking out prep. phrases and modifiers

As we see, but is acting as a parallel marker and not as a co-coordinating conjunction. but must hence be followed by a verb - parallel to view

straight away, eliminate A,B,C for the above stated reason.

Let's check E before we worry about D.

Addnl. notes: If you are worried that they could refer to journalists, hold your horses. ...journalists... is a part of the prep. phrase. The only other plural noun is power stations. Hence, 'they' has a clear referent.

Notice the absence of the relative clause modifier - that. 'think the power stations ..' is a wrong construction.
Another issue with E - or being the parallel marker, verb forms on either side of or must be parallel. (Not necessarily in the same tense though)

So we are left with D.

Great explanation but I want to elaborate a bit more on why E is wrong. The use of " Power stations" is redundant because "they" clearly refers to " Power stations" therefore we do not nee to use "Power stations" . Hope it makes sense.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 12 Mar 2014, 19:58
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 26 Mar 2015, 18:36

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
Intern
Intern
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 21 Jun 2015, 21:37
Clearly D,

E changes meaning for two reasons:
1) we are talking about nuclear power stations , but not power stations in general.,
The original sentence means nuclear power stations are not safe, but doesn't mean "(all) power stations are not safe"
2) Original sentence uses will (100% chance) and could (50% ),
but when you say "I would help if I didn't have to work" you mean "I didn't help"

“It’s not that I’m so smart; it’s just that I stay with problems longer.” - Albert Einstein
"Kirib chiqma, bilib chiq."
"Век живи́ - век учи́сь."

CEO
CEO
G
Concentration: Finance, Economics
Schools: Stanford '20
GMAT 1: 650 Q49 V30
GPA: 3.92
WE: General Management (Transportation)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 10 Nov 2015, 07:35
I am more concern between will and could
since we are talking about future - it looks like there is an uncertainty, since we are presented the modal verb "could".
If we know smth for sure, it should be WILL and CAN.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 15 Mar 2016, 00:30

Re: A majority of the international journalists surveyed view nu   [#permalink] 15 Mar 2016, 00:30

Go to page   Previous    1   2   3    Next  [ 48 posts ]