It is currently 23 Oct 2017, 19:47

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

A March 2000 Census Bureau survey showed that Mexico

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 146

A March 2000 Census Bureau survey showed that Mexico [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 Apr 2017, 11:59
Quote:
A March 2000 Census Bureau survey showed that Mexico accounted for more than a quarter of all foreign-born residents of the United States, the largest share for any country to contribute since 1980, when about 30 percent of the country’s foreign-born population was from Germany.

B. the largest share that any country has contributed

Hello folk,

could someone clarify this for me pls:

"Mexico accounted", "about 30 percent of the country’s foreign-born population was from German" - past simple
"the largest share that any country has contributed" - present perfect

is that correct to use present perfect and past simple in this case?

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 146

Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 32 [0], given: 36

GMAT 1: 700 Q51 V34
A March 2000 Census Bureau survey showed that Mexico [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 Jul 2017, 03:20
sayantanc2k wrote:
rakaisraka wrote:
Hi Experts, In option B - Isn't the underlined portion a IC? It has subject largest share that and Verb Has... Im little confused.

The underlined portion is an absolute phrase modifier. An absolute phrase modifier modifies an entire clause in some way and has the structure noun / noun phrase + noun modifier.

Here,

Absolute phrase modifier: the largest share that any country has contributed since 1980. (noun = the largest share, noun modifier = that any country has contributed since 1980).

The above absolute phrase modifier modifies the clause "Mexico accounted for more than a quarter of all foreign-born residents of the United States".

Please let me know if you still have doubt.

Hi daagh sir,
I have doubt-
If a sentence for example- Susan: " My daughter has been dancing everyday since 2001", is quoted by someone else the sentence becomes susan said that her daughter had/ has been dancing everyday since 2001.

Doubt A)- which one is correct, has or had? ( Because the actual question on this thread is from gmat verbal review 2017 question number 203. And the answer key explanation says both are correct)-This is a doubt related sequences of tenses in which we generally shift the action in past. But be if the action is still true can the action be presented in present perfect?

Doubt B) If any both had and has is correct, but we are unaware of the fact is the situation still valid or not ( example- I am not aware is susan daughter still dancing everyday), is there any rule which states that we use HAS>>HAD?

Top Contributor
Retired Moderator
P
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying

Kudos [?]: 7934 [0], given: 364

WE: Education (Education)
Re: A March 2000 Census Bureau survey showed that Mexico [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 Jul 2017, 03:56
Top Contributor
pulkitaggi

Doubt 1. It may please be remembered that if you use either a past perfect tense (including past perfect progressive) or past tense, then the action is already completed. On the contrary, if there is an iota of doubt whether the action is extended until at least today, then present perfect is required, even if there are two different tenses to describe two-time lines like as in Susan's daughter's case. Had danced or had been dancing are all wrong since the dancing has been occurring since 2001 until today.

Doubt 2. example- I am not aware is Susan daughter still dancing every day) -- Is this your second sentence?
Quote:
I am not aware whether Susan's daughter is still dancing.
--- All the tenses are is present tense are used properly. So, where is the confusion?

“Better than a thousand days of diligent study is one day with a great teacher” – a Japanese proverb.

Kudos [?]: 7934 [0], given: 364

Manager
Manager
B

GMAT 1: 700 Q51 V34

Show Tags

New post 04 Jul 2017, 04:23
daagh wrote:
pulkitaggi

Doubt 1. It may please be remembered that if you use either a past perfect tense (including past perfect progressive) or past tense, then the action is already completed. On the contrary, if there is an iota of doubt whether the action is extended until at least today, then present perfect is required, even if there are two different tenses to describe two-time lines like as in Susan's daughter's case. Had danced or had been dancing are all wrong since the dancing has been occurring since 2001 until today.

Doubt 2. example- I am not aware is Susan daughter still dancing every day) -- Is this your second sentence?
Quote:
I am not aware whether Susan's daughter is still dancing.
--- All the tenses are is present tense are used properly. So, where is the confusion?

Thank you sir for your response. Just to clarify - even in the sequence of tenses when I am quoting something that was said in past by person X and the event that person X was speaking of was in present perfect with respect to person X, WE SHOULD NOT SHIFT SENTENCE IS PAST PERFECT if we have a smallest doubt that the event is true today also. RIGHT?

I was going by general rule to shift everything 1 step in past. Present---> past, Past ---> past perfect, and future tense (will) ----> conditional (would)

And for DOUBT B) I got the clarity from answer you provided for DOUBT A sir. Thank you for that.

Retired Moderator
B

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 32

Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 09 Aug 2017, 05:42
Merged topics. Please, search before posting questions!

Please Read: Verbal Posting Rules

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 32

Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 21 [0], given: 33

Concentration: General Management
GMAT 1: 730 Q50 V40
GPA: 3.92

Show Tags

New post 30 Sep 2017, 06:00
I was able to eliminate option A and C.
But i am stuck at option D and E.
It seems to me that 'having' here correctly modifies the previous clause.
I know it looks wordy, but what exactly is the reason to eliminate D and E.

The thing about privilege is.. you often don't recognize your own !!!

Kudos [?]: 21 [0], given: 33

Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 8

Concentration: Finance, International Business

Show Tags

New post 16 Oct 2017, 03:23
The word Since in the sentence is an indicator that prefect tenses must be used and so only option B does. Is my reasoning correct?? Thank you

Manager
Manager
B

Concentration: Finance, International Business

Show Tags

New post 16 Oct 2017, 03:24
The word Since in the sentence is an indicator that prefect tenses must be used and so only option B does. Is my reasoning correct?? Thank you

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 56

CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 16 Oct 2017, 06:19
C D and E can be eliminated by a mojority.
Between A and B has to be A.
B is tempting because of the usage of present perfect tense with the usage of " since ". Indeed thats a correct usage, however a thing to notice in B is that usage of verb tense makes it an independent clause, and we must have proper connectivity between two clauses. This is the reason B is incorrect.
A correctly uses modifier correctly to modify a quarter of all foreign-born residents.
On the type of modifier used in A, it seems to me a noun+noun modifier(not 100% sure).

Sent from my SM-N9007 using GMAT Club Forum mobile app

Regards
SandySilva

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 56

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 18

Show Tags

New post 17 Oct 2017, 07:21
Explanation provided in the Verbal review
B) This form of the appositive is the most efficient way to express the comparison.Depending on when the sentence was written and what the writer intended to express, the verb form could be either had contributed or has contributed.The use of has contributed implies that, from the perspective of the sentence, the comparison between German-born US residents and those from other countries still holds true.

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 18

Re: A March 2000 Census Bureau survey showed that Mexico   [#permalink] 17 Oct 2017, 07:21

Go to page   Previous    1   2   3   [ 50 posts ] 

A March 2000 Census Bureau survey showed that Mexico

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap