Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 19:34 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 19:34

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Difficulty: 505-555 Levelx   Verb Tense/Formx                        
Show Tags
Hide Tags
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: CrackVerbal
Own Kudos [?]: 7624 [0]
Given Kudos: 215
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [0]
Given Kudos: 99
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 21 [0]
Given Kudos: 143
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 15 [0]
Given Kudos: 76
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V36
GPA: 3
Send PM
Re: A March 2000 Census Bureau survey showed that Mexico accounted for mor [#permalink]
Correct answer is c
However
In A
Largest share for any country to contribute implies Largest share that any country can contribute. Fixes a limit on the share.

There is nothing wrong in the structure except the meaning.

This structure is similar to
A plan (for anyone) to conquer the world
A book (for anyone) to read

Whenever the infinitive functions as an adjective the noun is the implied object of the infinitive. So the A book to read implies a book that anyone can read.

Largest share that any country has contributed is correct because we talk about the maximum share contributed to date since a specific year.

Largest share refers to more than half the spending in which spending is the noun and more than half modified spending.

Largest share is indeed an appositive but the structural difference between an appositive and absolute phrase is 0. They only modify different entities either the preceding clause, verb or any noun in the preceding clause. They may or may not make sense with the subject.

Having ... is a clause modifier used to indicate an action occurs before another. Certainly the contribution cannot happen before the accounting.

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 42 [0]
Given Kudos: 129
Send PM
Re: A March 2000 Census Bureau survey showed that Mexico accounted for mor [#permalink]
1. we need "noun + noun modifier" in such sentences as we need to modify entire clause.
2. Usage of "has" is needed because of "since 1890".
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63649 [1]
Given Kudos: 1773
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
sa119 wrote:
GMATNinja egmat
Can we also rule out D and E on the following error?:

ing modifier picks up the tense of the verb it should logically modify i.e accounted which is in past tense, but "since" is being used to indicate the current time frame and therefore the usage of ing modifiers creates a wrong tense?

Many thanks

Posted from my mobile device

Good question! I'm not so sure that we can eliminate D and E just for that reason. If instead we had, "... having a larger share than any country has contributed since 1890," the "having" (and its implied "tense") might be okay.

In any case, "has contributed" in (B) makes more sense with the "since" than "to be contributed" (in D) or "to have been contributed" (in E), so you were definitely onto something.

For anybody who hasn't already, you might want to check out this post and the two posts referenced in it for more on (D) and (E).

I hope that helps!
LBS Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 775 [0]
Given Kudos: 1577
Send PM
OE:
Logical predication; Rhetorical construction
This sentence claims that the 2000 Census showed that at the time
Mexico’s contribution to the foreign-born population of United States
residents exceeded that of any other country since 1890. It makes the
comparison in an appositive that modifies more than a quarter of all
foreign-born residents of the United States.
A. The phrase for any country to contribute makes the sentence wordy
and indirect.
B. Correct. This form of the appositive is the most efficient way to
express the comparison. Depending on when the sentence was
written and what the writer intended to express, the verb form could
be either had contributed or has contributed. The use of has
contributed implies that, from the perspective of the sentence, the
comparison between German-born U.S. residents and those from
other countries still holds true.
C. The antecedents of the relative pronoun which and the pronoun it
are ambiguous. Along with the prepositional phrase, the pronouns
contribute wordiness and indirection.
D. This construction is awkward, wordy, and indirect, and the use of
the present tense of the infinitive is inappropriate.
E. This construction is awkward, wordy, and indirect.
The correct answer is B.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
why is option a incorrect ? (if meaning is the issue plz explain)
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63649 [1]
Given Kudos: 1773
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Paras31 wrote:
why is option a incorrect ? (if meaning is the issue plz explain)

You got it: (A) has a meaning issue. To see why, consider the following:

The biggest issue Tim needs to work on is his anger management, particularly when it comes to losing to his toddler at Connect Four.

Here, the verb phrase, "to work on" implies that Tim hasn't yet done the work. At some point in the future, he'll address the problem.

We get a similar usage here. "The largest share for any country to contribute," makes it sound as though the residents will be contributed at some point in the future. But that doesn't make sense in this context, as the census was from 2000.

Also, the phrase, "largest share for any country" creates the impression that the share is being given to the country in question, when, in actuality, the country is contributing residents.

Because (A) has multiple meaning/logic problems, you can get rid of it.

I hope that helps!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Given Kudos: 217
GMAT 1: 600 Q46 V27
Send PM
Hello experts,
I cannot understand choice D.
I am confused between B and D

1. In B, seems like united states is - the largest share but its actually "a quater",which is far away. hence I rejected this choice.

I don't know why D is wrong.
having the largest share to be contributed by any country is modifying mexico.
how?
having the largest share...., mexico accounted more than a quarter of all foreign-born residents of the United States.

2. I don't understand how it relates with people have left .
mexico has the largest share, how?, because mexico accounted more than a quarter of all foreign-born residents of the United States.
?
Manhattan Prep Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 486 [1]
Given Kudos: 37
GMAT 1: 760 Q49 V47
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
dcoolguy wrote:
Hello experts,
I cannot understand choice D.
I am confused between B and D

1. In B, seems like united states is - the largest share but its actually "a quater",which is far away. hence I rejected this choice.

I don't know why D is wrong.
having the largest share to be contributed by any country is modifying mexico.
how?
having the largest share...., mexico accounted more than a quarter of all foreign-born residents of the United States.

2. I don't understand how it relates with people have left .
mexico has the largest share, how?, because mexico accounted more than a quarter of all foreign-born residents of the United States.
?

Noun modifiers do need to be close to the noun they modify, but it's not always possible to get them *right* nearby, so we have to be a little generous sometimes. 'quarter' is unusually far away, you are right, but the noun phrases group and nest very nicely--they just have a lot of words. 'foreign born residents of the United States' is a noun phrase with clear 'hierarchy,' so to speak. 'The box in the kitchen full of knick knacks that will be sent to Rome' is a noun phrase that *lacks* a clear 'hierarchy.'

A 'share' can only modify a 'quarter' in the noun-phrase before it.

D is wrong because 'to be contributed' implies a future tense, and because the 'having' modifier causes a loss of meaning. We are trying to say that the 'quarter' IS the largest share. If we use a 'having the largest share' modifier, we are describing 'Mexico accounted for more than a quarter...' Essentially, it means Mexico HAS the largest share, but we don't actually know (or rather, the grammar doesn't actually know) if that share is the 'quarter' they account for.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 36
Send PM
In this post, we are talking a lot about absolute phrase.

what I understand is that these have the construction of noun+noun phrases

let's say -

A sentence, ing verbal +relative pronoun clause

can i call the portion '' ing verbal + (that) relative pronoun clause'' an absolute phrase
Experts' Global Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 4683 [0]
Given Kudos: 38
GMAT Date: 11-01-2019
Send PM
Expert Reply
Anshul1223333 wrote:
In this post, we are talking a lot about absolute phrase.

what I understand is that these have the construction of noun+noun phrases

let's say -

A sentence, ing verbal +relative pronoun clause

can i call the portion '' ing verbal + (that) relative pronoun clause'' an absolute phrase

Hello Anshul1223333,

We hope this finds you well.

To answer your query, your understanding is, indeed, correct here.

Kudos.

We hope this helps.
All the best!
Experts' Global Team
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 67 [0]
Given Kudos: 626
Send PM
EducationAisle wrote:
nivi2084 wrote:
I had chosen option D as the right answer . Have understood from the explanations above as to why is it wrong.

But I am still not understanding as to why is B the correct option ?

Isnt stating "the largest share that any country has contributed " modifying United states ? Why are we still selecting option B ?

Hi nivi2084, the largest share that any country has contributed is actually used as (what's called) an absolute phrase. Absolute phrases are quite flexible in what they modify.

For example:

Jack gets $500 per month, an allowance that is considerably more than what his friends get.

Again, an allowance that is considerably more... is an absolute modifier, modifying $500 (and not month).

p.s. Our book EducationAisle Sentence Correction Nirvana discusses Absolute phrase, its application and examples in significant detail. If you or someone is interested, PM me your email-id; I can mail the corresponding section.

EducationAisle
Thank you for your helpful reply.

To clarify, what type of modifier is "when about 30 percent of the country's foreign-born population was from Germany"?

Is it an adverbial modifier?

Many thanks :)
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 3528 [1]
Given Kudos: 149
Schools: ISB
GPA: 3.31
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
woohoo921 wrote:
To clarify, what type of modifier is "when about 30 percent of the country's foreign-born population was from Germany"?

Is it an adverbial modifier?

Yes, This is an Adverbial clause.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [1]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Kudos
I have doubt about the usage of the comma+verb-ing modifier. According to option D, the use of having correctly modifies the subject of the previous clause Mexico and here the verb-ing is being used to provide an explanation of "as a result" which is an attribute of comma+verbing modifier.
e-GMAT Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 30776 [1]
Given Kudos: 634
GMAT Date: 08-19-2020
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
tony17 wrote:
I have doubt about the usage of the comma+verb-ing modifier. According to option D, the use of having correctly modifies the subject of the previous clause Mexico and here the verb-ing is being used to provide an explanation of "as a result" which is an attribute of comma+verbing modifier.

Hey tony17

Happy to help.

Original Sentence:
A March 2000 Census Bureau survey showed that Mexico accounted for more than a quarter of all foreign-born residents of the United States, the largest share for any country to contribute since 1890, when about 30 percent of the country’s foreign-born population was from Germany.

Key Aspects:
    a. As per a March 2000 survey, Mexico accounted for more than a quarter of all foreign-born residents of the United States.
    b. This share (>1/4th of all foreing-born residents) is the largest share that any country has contributed since 1890.
    c. In 1890, about 30% of USA's foreign-born population was from Germany.

Let's look at choice D:

D: A March 2000 Census Bureau survey showed that Mexico accounted for more than a quarter of all foreign-born residents of the United States, having the largest share to be contributed by any country since 1890, when about 30 percent of the country’s foreign-born population was from Germany.

When analyzing such a choice, you must consider the following probing questions:

1. What does " , having the largest share..." modify and how?
    Ans: You're right that it would modify the verb and the subject of the immediately preceding clause - "Mexico accounted for... United States"; but, in what way?
      a. Is it the "manner" in which Mexico 'accounted'?
      Ans: No. Mexico accounted for more than a quarter of all foreign-born residents by having the largest share to be contributed by any country since 1890? As you can see, this makes no sense.

b. Is it the result or consequence of Mexico's accounting for something?
      Ans: No. Mexico accounted for more than a quarter of all foreign-born residents and, as a result, had the largest share to be contributed by any country since 1890? Isn't it redundant to say that Mexico 'accounted for' a certain share and therefore 'had' the largest share? "had" and "accounted for" essentially mean the same thing. Besides, the original sentence only wishes to convey that "more than a quarter of all foreign-born residents" is "the largest share any country has contributed since 1890". So, there is no need for inserting "had" or "having" in between. It's redundant and incorrect.

2. Is this a grammatically correct application of the word "having"?
    Ans: An important thing to note here is that we avoid the use of the word "having" to denote possession/ownership as far as possible.
      (i) I am having a car. (Incorrect. I have a car.)
      (ii) The man having a mole on his left cheek is uncle Sam. (Incorrect. The man who has a mole on his left cheek is uncle Sam.)

The only exceptions are when we use 'having' as a noun/gerund:
      (i) Having a car is essential to survival in the city. (Correct)
      (ii) I loving having people to rely on for help. (Correct)

3. Is the use of "to be contributed" imparting the right meaning?
    Ans: No, it isn't. It is important to note that 'to be + verb-ed' is generally used to talk about an action that has not yet been performed and is probably going to be done in the future. For example:
      a. Mr. Johnson is most likely to be elected the next Mayor of our city.
      b. An important project to be completed before the end of the year is the cost-cutting project.

If we wish to talk about an action that has been completed in the past, we should use 'to have been + verb-ed'. For example:
      a. The most successful Mayor to have been elected in the last two decades is Mr. Johnson.
      b. The biggest project to have been completed before the end of last year was the cost-cutting project.

Note that the above examples, although grammatically correct, are unnecessarily wordy. We could easily have said:
      c. The most successful Mayor elected in the last two decades is Mr. Johnson.
      d. The biggest project completed before the end of last year was the cost-cutting project.

Nevertheless, we can at least see why the use of 'to be contributed' is incorrect in this context.

For all of the above reasons, choice D is incorrect.

I hope this helps improve your understanding and gives you a mechanism to evaluate such choices in future.

Happy Learning!

Abhishek :)
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2 
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6917 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts