It is currently 20 Oct 2017, 07:47

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

A medieval manuscript called L contains all eighteen extant

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:

Hide Tags

VP
VP
User avatar
Joined: 05 Jul 2008
Posts: 1402

Kudos [?]: 437 [0], given: 1

Re: A medieval manuscript called L contains all eighteen extant [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 Jul 2008, 17:19
I was between C & E

The distinction between C & E is scope. C expands it to ancient times, which is out of the scope of the argument.

B is wrong because stimulus clearly says some best known works and not all

A is wrong because it reverses what stimulus establishes. stimulus says works with commentaries have some best known works. A says best known works all have commentary

D again is too strong. we only know that Medea appears with Commentary in L. We don't know about other manuscripts.

Kudos [?]: 437 [0], given: 1

2 KUDOS received
Director
Director
avatar
Joined: 29 Aug 2005
Posts: 855

Kudos [?]: 488 [2], given: 7

Re: A medieval manuscript called L contains all eighteen extant [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 Dec 2008, 16:32
2
This post received
KUDOS
9
This post was
BOOKMARKED
A medieval manuscript called L contains all eighteen extant tragedies by the Greek playwright Euripides. Of these, ten called the “select plays,” are accompanied in L by ancient commentaries and also appear in other medieval manuscripts; this group includes some of Euripides’ best-known works, including the Medea. The other eight, which appear only in L, are called alphabeticals, because they appear in alphabetical order , without commentary. The Electra is one of the alphabetical.

Which of the following can be reliably concluded on the basis of the Statements given?

A. Only Euripides’ best-known works are accompanied by ancient commentaries in extant medieval manuscripts.
B. The select plays are accompanied by ancient commentaries because they were the best known of Euripides’ works.
C. No commentaries were written about Euripides’ Electra in ancient times.
D. Euripides’ Medea never appears in medieval manuscripts unaccompanied by ancient commentary.
E. Euripides’ Electra does not appear accompanied by a commentary in any extant medieval manuscript.

Last edited by JarvisR on 09 Aug 2016, 06:10, edited 2 times in total.
Formatted the passage and added OA

Kudos [?]: 488 [2], given: 7

Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 26 Nov 2008
Posts: 69

Kudos [?]: 24 [0], given: 0

Re: A medieval manuscript called L contains all eighteen extant [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 Dec 2008, 16:40
botirvoy wrote:
A medieval manuscript called L contains all eighteen extant tragedies
by the Greek playwright Euripides. Of these, ten called the “select
plays,” are accompanied in L by ancient commentaries and also
appear in other medieval manuscripts; this group includes some of
Euripides’ best-known works, including the Medea. The other eight,
which appear in alphabetical order, without commentary. The Electra is
one of the alphabeticals.
Which of the following can be reliably concluded on the basis of the
Statements given?
A. Only Euripides’ best-known works are accompanied by ancient
commentaries in extant medieval manuscripts.
B. The select plays are accompanied by ancient commentaries
because they were the best known of Euripides’ works.
C. No commentaries were written about Euripides’ Electra in
ancient times.
D. Euripides’ Medea never appears in medieval manuscripts
unaccompanied by ancient commentary.
E. Euripides’ Electra does not appear accompanied by a commentary
in any extant medieval manuscript.


Only, No, never are extreme words.

Left B and E


E can be concluded reliably..as we dont why the commentaries were attached to the "select 10"

Kudos [?]: 24 [0], given: 0

Director
Director
avatar
Joined: 01 Aug 2008
Posts: 728

Kudos [?]: 844 [0], given: 99

Re: A medieval manuscript called L contains all eighteen extant [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 Dec 2008, 12:12
I think this is between B and E .... my pick is B though.

what is the OA and/or OE?

Kudos [?]: 844 [0], given: 99

2 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 26 Oct 2008
Posts: 116

Kudos [?]: 114 [2], given: 0

Re: A medieval manuscript called L contains all eighteen extant [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 Dec 2008, 20:09
2
This post received
KUDOS
Is there something missing from the stimulus? The second last sentence is only a sentence fragment, and NONE of the answer choices follows reliably (i.e., necessarily) from the stimulus.

A: Not necessarily true. The stimulus tells us that the select plays (which include SOME of E's best known works) are accompanied by ancient commentaries in L. It tells us nothing about what is or is not accompanied by commentaries in other manuscripts. Not only that, but it leaves open the possibility that some of the "select plays" are NOT among E's best known works, in which case A would be false.

B: There is no information at all indicating WHY the select plays were accompanied by commentaries in L, or anywhere else -- IF they were so accompanied in other manuscripts.

C: The stimulus shows that there are no commentaries about Elektra in L. This does not tell us anything about whether there are or are not commentaries about Elektra in any other mediaeval manuscripts. Even if there were not, it would still be possible that there were ancient commentaries written about Elektra which did NOT happen to be captured in any of the mediaeval manuscripts which have survived.

D: The stimulus shows that Medea is accompanied by commentary in L. This does NOT prove that every other mediaeval manuscript which contains Medea also contains an ancient commentary about Medea.

E: Partly the same analysis as C: The stimulus shows that there are no commentaries about Elektra in L. This does NOT prove that there are no commentaries about Elektra in any OTHER mediaeval manuscript.

Please check the original stimulus: If one of these answers follows logically, there must be more in it than has been posted.
_________________

Grumpy

Kaplan Canada LSAT/GMAT/GRE teacher and tutor

Kudos [?]: 114 [2], given: 0

Intern
Intern
User avatar
Joined: 14 Feb 2008
Posts: 14

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Re: A medieval manuscript called L contains all eighteen extant [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 06 Dec 2008, 18:16
I agree with Grumpy...I don't think any of these answer choices fit the bill.

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 17 Aug 2009
Posts: 228

Kudos [?]: 294 [0], given: 25

Re: A medieval manuscript called L contains all eighteen extant [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 Jan 2010, 23:24
Extremely confused on this one
None of the answers seem suitable
Kindly provide suitable explanations

Kudos [?]: 294 [0], given: 25

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 28 Sep 2009
Posts: 61

Kudos [?]: 41 [1], given: 2

Re: A medieval manuscript called L contains all eighteen extant [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 27 Jan 2010, 22:52
1
This post received
KUDOS
seofah wrote:
A medieval manuscript called L contains all eighteen extant tragedies
by the Greek playwright Euripides. Of these, ten called the “select
plays,” are accompanied in L by ancient commentaries and also
appear in other medieval manuscripts; this group includes some of
Euripides’ best-known works, including the Medea. The other eight,
which appear in alphabetical order, without commentary. The Electra is
one of the alphabeticals.
Which of the following can be reliably concluded on the basis of the
Statements given?
A. Only Euripides’ best-known works are accompanied by ancient
commentaries in extant medieval manuscripts. --> it is too self-assumed. The premise stated that there are Euripides' best known works that are accompanied by ancient commentaries BUT IT IS NOT NECESSARILY the "ONLY"one.
B. The select plays are accompanied by ancient commentaries
because they were the best known of Euripides’ works. --> the statement didnt say the best known of Euripides' works is the CAUSE of the select plays accompanied by ancient commentaries. (not causation)
C. No commentaries were written about Euripides’ Electra in
ancient times. --> electra is one of the alphabetical but it does not necessarily mean that there is NO commentaries written about it.
D. Euripides’ Medea never appears in medieval manuscripts
unaccompanied by ancient commentary. --> again too conclusive, there might or might not be in other manuscript.
E. Euripides’ Electra does not appear accompanied by a commentary
in any extant medieval manuscript. --> in these 18 extant medieval manuscript, E's Electra not accompanied by a commentary (correct)

My ans is E.
there are eighteen extant tragedies
- ten called the “select
plays,” are accompanied in L by ancient commentaries and also
appear in other medieval manuscripts; this group includes some of
Euripides’ best-known works, including the Medea.
- The other eight,which appear in alphabetical order, without commentary. The Electra is
one of the alphabeticals.

What is the OA?
_________________

I am not born to be a GENIUS nor a GMATTER. If you are struggling, we are in the same boat. Fight to the last!!

Kudos [?]: 41 [1], given: 2

2 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 31 Oct 2011
Posts: 338

Kudos [?]: 1228 [2], given: 18

Re: A medieval manuscript called L contains all eighteen extant [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 17 May 2012, 15:23
2
This post received
KUDOS
10
This post was
BOOKMARKED
A medieval manuscript called L contains all eighteen extant tragedies by the Greek playwright uripides. Of these, ten called the “select plays,” are accompanied in L by ancient commentaries and also appear in other medieval manuscripts; this group includes some of Euripides’ best-known works, including the Medea. The other eight, which appear in alphabetical order, without commentary. The Electra is one of the alphabeticals.

Which of the following can be reliably concluded on the basis of the
Statements given?

A. Only Euripides’ best-known works are accompanied by ancient commentaries in extant medieval manuscripts.

B. The select plays are accompanied by ancient commentaries because they were the best known of Euripides’ works.

C. No commentaries were written about Euripides’ Electra in ancient times.

D. Euripides’ Medeanever appears in medieval manuscripts unaccompanied by ancient commentary.

E. Euripides’ Electra does not appear accompanied by a commentary in any extant medieval manuscript

Kudos [?]: 1228 [2], given: 18

1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 31 Oct 2011
Posts: 338

Kudos [?]: 1228 [1], given: 18

Re: A medieval manuscript called L contains all eighteen extant [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 17 May 2012, 15:38
1
This post received
KUDOS
1
This post was
BOOKMARKED
So weird question... I don't agree with any of those answer choices.

a. We don't know and "only" is too extreme.

b. Some of the select plays are Euripides's best known work, so we cannot assume or say with the passage that the whole select plays are the best known work

c. Commentaries might have been written about Electra in ancient times since we cannot assume with the passage that Electra only appears in the medival manuscript called L and that also the L is the only extant medival manuscript.

d. We don't know "never" is too exterme.

e. We don't know anything about other extant medival manuscript.

"Now there is one little step. Notice how the "select plays" differ from "the alphabeticals" in that they are ALSO found in other medieval manuscripts. Therefore the "other eight" are not found in medieval manuscripts ------> Electra does not appear in other ancient manuscripts. The only manuscript it does appear in it is not accompanied by commentary. Thus (E)."

This is explanation of a GMAT instructor from another GMAT website.
I can't see how the bold part makes sense. The passage mentions that the select plays have commentary whereas other other eight don't, but the passage doesn't mention anything that implies the select plays are different from the other eight in that they also found in other medieval manuscripts.

I'd like to hear other people's opinions on this issue.

Kudos [?]: 1228 [1], given: 18

2 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 28 May 2011
Posts: 190

Kudos [?]: 71 [2], given: 7

Location: United States
Concentration: General Management, International Business
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V38
GPA: 3.6
WE: Project Management (Computer Software)
Re: A medieval manuscript called L contains all eighteen extant [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 17 May 2012, 21:20
2
This post received
KUDOS
1
This post was
BOOKMARKED
E makes a little sense.

Argument states :
Of these, ten called the “select plays,” are accompanied in L by ancient commentaries and also appear in other medieval manuscripts.
=> Rest eight (Electra one of them) appear in L only

Argument also states :
Other eight (Electra one of them), which appear in alphabetical order, without commentary
=> Electra also doesn't appear with any commentary

Combining both inferences :
Electra doesn't appear in anywhere with commentary because it appeared only in L and that is without commentary.

Does it make sense?
_________________

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://gmatclub.com/forum/a-guide-to-the-official-guide-13-for-gmat-review-134210.html
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Kudos [?]: 71 [2], given: 7

2 KUDOS received
SVP
SVP
User avatar
S
Joined: 14 Apr 2009
Posts: 2138

Kudos [?]: 1601 [2], given: 8

Location: New York, NY
Re: A medieval manuscript called L contains all eighteen extant [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 17 May 2012, 21:40
2
This post received
KUDOS
eybrj2 wrote:
So weird question... I don't agree with any of those answer choices.


"Now there is one little step. Notice how the "select plays" differ from "the alphabeticals" in that they are ALSO found in other medieval manuscripts. Therefore the "other eight" are not found in medieval manuscripts ------> Electra does not appear in other ancient manuscripts. The only manuscript it does appear in it is not accompanied by commentary. Thus (E)."

This is explanation of a GMAT instructor from another GMAT website.
I can't see how the bold part makes sense. The passage mentions that the select plays have commentary whereas other other eight don't, but the passage doesn't mention anything that implies the select plays are different from the other eight in that they also found in other medieval manuscripts.

I'd like to hear other people's opinions on this issue.



The statement *does* reference that those "select" plays also appear in other medieval manuscripts.

"Of these, ten called the “select plays,” are accompanied in L by ancient commentaries and also appear in other medieval manuscripts;"

So what it's saying here is that these 10 were so popular they were also captured in other manuscripts out there, not just this "L" one. This "L" happens to also include 8 additional "less known" plays. The "Electra" is a lesser known play and doesn't have commentary as is described since it is among the "8".

We know that the 10 were "also in other manuscripts" => kind of implying that the remaining 8 were not. The 8 did not have commentary and were not as known. Most likely they were not in other manuscripts. So (E) says that Electra does not appear with a commentary in ANY manuscript. Well the only one that it *appears* to be in does NOT have a commentary - so (E) seems to be a valid conclusion. Note (E) mentions the word "appear" so we don't know for sure but it's highly likely based on what we inferred - that it doesn't have commentary in ANY manuscript.

Kudos [?]: 1601 [2], given: 8

Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 28 Jul 2011
Posts: 233

Kudos [?]: 160 [0], given: 16

Re: A medieval manuscript called L contains all eighteen extant [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 May 2012, 19:53
Vote for E

from the statement
"The other eight, which appear in alphabetical order, without commentary. The Electra is one of the alphabeticals."

we can clearly derive ans "E"

"C" is close relative but not a correct option because we dont know nything about the "ancient times"

Kudos [?]: 160 [0], given: 16

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
S
Joined: 19 Oct 2012
Posts: 322

Kudos [?]: 39 [0], given: 101

Location: India
Concentration: General Management, Operations
GMAT 1: 660 Q47 V35
GPA: 3.81
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
CAT Tests
Re: A medieval manuscript called L contains all eighteen extant [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 Aug 2013, 21:32
I would go for E as well. It seems the best and safest among the rest.

Although the CR's question stem and answer choices are badly worded. Definitely not from a reliable source. :x
_________________

Citius, Altius, Fortius

Kudos [?]: 39 [0], given: 101

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 29 Jan 2013
Posts: 44

Kudos [?]: 47 [0], given: 24

Re: A medieval manuscript called L contains all eighteen extant [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 Aug 2013, 01:15
GMATPill wrote:
eybrj2 wrote:
So weird question... I don't agree with any of those answer choices.


"Now there is one little step. Notice how the "select plays" differ from "the alphabeticals" in that they are ALSO found in other medieval manuscripts. Therefore the "other eight" are not found in medieval manuscripts ------> Electra does not appear in other ancient manuscripts. The only manuscript it does appear in it is not accompanied by commentary. Thus (E)."

This is explanation of a GMAT instructor from another GMAT website.
I can't see how the bold part makes sense. The passage mentions that the select plays have commentary whereas other other eight don't, but the passage doesn't mention anything that implies the select plays are different from the other eight in that they also found in other medieval manuscripts.

I'd like to hear other people's opinions on this issue.



The statement *does* reference that those "select" plays also appear in other medieval manuscripts.

"Of these, ten called the “select plays,” are accompanied in L by ancient commentaries and also appear in other medieval manuscripts;"

So what it's saying here is that these 10 were so popular they were also captured in other manuscripts out there, not just this "L" one. This "L" happens to also include 8 additional "less known" plays. The "Electra" is a lesser known play and doesn't have commentary as is described since it is among the "8".

We know that the 10 were "also in other manuscripts" => kind of implying that the remaining 8 were not. The 8 did not have commentary and were not as known. Most likely they were not in other manuscripts. So (E) says that Electra does not appear with a commentary in ANY manuscript. Well the only one that it *appears* to be in does NOT have a commentary - so (E) seems to be a valid conclusion. Note (E) mentions the word "appear" so we don't know for sure but it's highly likely based on what we inferred - that it doesn't have commentary in ANY manuscript.



In that aspect even C should be right too...C says 'No commentaries were written about Euripides’ Electra in ancient times.'..

You proved that Electra is present only in L not in any other script. Hence there is no way Electra get comments in any other scripts too as it is present only in L..Hence there are no commentaries written about Electra????

Can some one help me in eliminating C

Kudos [?]: 47 [0], given: 24

Manager
Manager
avatar
Status: Joining Cranfield Sep 2014
Joined: 01 Sep 2012
Posts: 65

Kudos [?]: 37 [0], given: 60

Concentration: Technology, General Management
GMAT 1: 530 Q50 V14
GMAT 2: 630 Q48 V29
WE: Engineering (Energy and Utilities)
Reviews Badge
Re: A medieval manuscript called L contains all eighteen extant [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 Aug 2013, 05:36
Although, I got this question wrong. After analysing it, I agree that E is the correct answer. The following is the way I got E as correct answer:-
Read the argument carefully and try to understand it using Set Theory (sub sets), I think this strategy helps in understanding this argument more better here.

First to narrow down to correct choice by deleting other choices
Choice A:- "Only Euripides’ best-known works are accompanied by ancient commentaries in extant medieval manuscripts." The word "Only" helps in deleting this choice as "Some of Euripides" are there in L Manuscript and Some in other Manuscript

Choice B:- "The select plays are accompanied by ancient commentaries because they were the best known of Euripides’ works." The argument never states choice B and select plays are not because of best known of Euripides. so this choice is also wrong.

Choice C:- "No commentaries were written about Euripides’ Electra in ancient times." Appears to be right. Lets keep at present

Choice D:- "Euripides’ Medeanever appears in medieval manuscripts unaccompanied by ancient commentary." Out of Scope statement, so wrong.

Choice E:- "Euripides’ Electra does not appear accompanied by a commentary in any extant medieval manuscript" Appears to be right.

Now lets discuss on choice C and E

Choice C is stressing on Commentaries, stating that No Commentaries were written about Euripides’ Electra which we are not aware and there is second flaw in the choice, which is "ancient times". The choice C generalizes on ancient times, which is incorrect.

Hence the only choice remains is E which clearly states "Euripides’ Electra does not appear accompanied by a commentary in any extant medieval manuscript"

Kudos [?]: 37 [0], given: 60

Manager
Manager
avatar
Status: Joining Cranfield Sep 2014
Joined: 01 Sep 2012
Posts: 65

Kudos [?]: 37 [0], given: 60

Concentration: Technology, General Management
GMAT 1: 530 Q50 V14
GMAT 2: 630 Q48 V29
WE: Engineering (Energy and Utilities)
Reviews Badge
Re: A medieval manuscript called L contains all eighteen extant [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 Aug 2013, 05:40
Further to my post on explaining the answer, I am posting a .jpeg file which explains the argument. The pictorial sub set view of the argument will help in choosing the answer too
Attachments

File comment: I have tried to explain the question using set theory, this helps in easy understanding of the question
Medevial Manuscript (MM).jpg
Medevial Manuscript (MM).jpg [ 39.45 KiB | Viewed 7519 times ]

Kudos [?]: 37 [0], given: 60

1 KUDOS received
Director
Director
User avatar
Joined: 14 Dec 2012
Posts: 832

Kudos [?]: 1596 [1], given: 197

Location: India
Concentration: General Management, Operations
GMAT 1: 700 Q50 V34
GPA: 3.6
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: A medieval manuscript called L contains all eighteen extant [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Aug 2013, 07:41
1
This post received
KUDOS
adityapagadala wrote:
GMATPill wrote:
eybrj2 wrote:
So weird question... I don't agree with any of those answer choices.


"Now there is one little step. Notice how the "select plays" differ from "the alphabeticals" in that they are ALSO found in other medieval manuscripts. Therefore the "other eight" are not found in medieval manuscripts ------> Electra does not appear in other ancient manuscripts. The only manuscript it does appear in it is not accompanied by commentary. Thus (E)."

This is explanation of a GMAT instructor from another GMAT website.
I can't see how the bold part makes sense. The passage mentions that the select plays have commentary whereas other other eight don't, but the passage doesn't mention anything that implies the select plays are different from the other eight in that they also found in other medieval manuscripts.

I'd like to hear other people's opinions on this issue.



The statement *does* reference that those "select" plays also appear in other medieval manuscripts.

"Of these, ten called the “select plays,” are accompanied in L by ancient commentaries and also appear in other medieval manuscripts;"

So what it's saying here is that these 10 were so popular they were also captured in other manuscripts out there, not just this "L" one. This "L" happens to also include 8 additional "less known" plays. The "Electra" is a lesser known play and doesn't have commentary as is described since it is among the "8".

We know that the 10 were "also in other manuscripts" => kind of implying that the remaining 8 were not. The 8 did not have commentary and were not as known. Most likely they were not in other manuscripts. So (E) says that Electra does not appear with a commentary in ANY manuscript. Well the only one that it *appears* to be in does NOT have a commentary - so (E) seems to be a valid conclusion. Note (E) mentions the word "appear" so we don't know for sure but it's highly likely based on what we inferred - that it doesn't have commentary in ANY manuscript.



In that aspect even C should be right too...C says 'No commentaries were written about Euripides’ Electra in ancient times.'..

You proved that Electra is present only in L not in any other script. Hence there is no way Electra get comments in any other scripts too as it is present only in L..Hence there are no commentaries written about Electra????

Can some one help me in eliminating C

C is not correct beacause you cannot say for sure that 'No commentaries were written about Euripides’ Electra in ancient times.'..
NO is kind a very specific word means you are sure about what you say.
option E wins because APPEAR comes into play....it means it appears to you as per the argument but it can be incorrect.

hope it helps
_________________

When you want to succeed as bad as you want to breathe ...then you will be successfull....

GIVE VALUE TO OFFICIAL QUESTIONS...



GMAT RCs VOCABULARY LIST: http://gmatclub.com/forum/vocabulary-list-for-gmat-reading-comprehension-155228.html
learn AWA writing techniques while watching video : http://www.gmatprepnow.com/module/gmat-analytical-writing-assessment
: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=APt9ITygGss

Kudos [?]: 1596 [1], given: 197

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 07 Sep 2010
Posts: 329

Kudos [?]: 1032 [0], given: 136

Re: A medieval manuscript called L contains all eighteen extant [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 Oct 2013, 07:02
Can someone please provide explanation to answer choice E.
In the above poster, I am not too comfortable with the generalization that happened from Script L to any other Medieval Script.

Please post your reasoning.

Regards
imhimanshu
_________________

+1 Kudos me, Help me unlocking GMAT Club Tests

Kudos [?]: 1032 [0], given: 136

Current Student
User avatar
Joined: 13 May 2011
Posts: 201

Kudos [?]: 121 [0], given: 93

Concentration: Strategy, Technology
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.2
WE: Accounting (Consulting)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: A medieval manuscript called L contains all eighteen extant [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 30 Oct 2013, 03:55
Though I did answer correctly, I only did so because other answers were even further away.

None of the answers can be 'reliably concluded on the basis of the statements'.

E states that "Euripides’ Electra does not appear accompanied by a commentary in any extant medieval manuscript".

In the question only one such manuscript is discussed and no statements on whether it's the only extant medieval manuscript with Electra.
Though it is in a list that is not 'best-known works', still we cannot assume that such term applies to any work that has been found in 2 manuscripts.

It does say 'appears', but this is an incredibly long shot, because it asks about "'reliably concluded", we cannot reliably conclude on multiple things based on only one if they are not connected.

Another argument for E: "Of these, ten called the “select plays,” are accompanied in L by ancient commentaries and also appear in other medieval manuscripts", this doesn't mean that plays from alphabetical lists do not appear in other medieval manuscripts.

"Are X and Y" - obviously means both conditions simultaniously,
"Are X and, also Y" - hm, maybe this "also" is the case? It might mean ANY of the two condition is what separates 'select plays' from other.
_________________

Stay positive! ^.^


My blog - http://www.mbafortech.com

Kudos [?]: 121 [0], given: 93

Re: A medieval manuscript called L contains all eighteen extant   [#permalink] 30 Oct 2013, 03:55

Go to page   Previous    1   2   3   4    Next  [ 63 posts ] 

Display posts from previous: Sort by

A medieval manuscript called L contains all eighteen extant

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.