Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 02:13 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 02:13

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 3283 [11]
Given Kudos: 182
Concentration: Marketing, Leadership
Schools: University of Dhaka - Class of 2010
GPA: 3.63
WE:Business Development (Consumer Products)
Send PM
Economist GMAT Tutor Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 102 [3]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 5425 [1]
Given Kudos: 346
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42103 [1]
Given Kudos: 422
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
Re: A middleweight black hole weighs in at roughly 500 solar mas [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
Top Contributor
Here is a sub 500 level question from GPREP.
One doesn't even have to look at the stimulus, and one can say A and B are out for indulging in the comparison blunder of 'less…as'.

'But and yet' together in D and E are brazenly redundant, surprising missed, leaving C alone.
Can SC be simpler be than this?
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 523 [0]
Given Kudos: 916
Send PM
monirjewel wrote:
A middleweight black hole weighs in at roughly 500 solar masses, hundreds of times more massive than the lightweight black holes produced by the collapse of individual stars, but thousands or even millions of times less in its mass as the heavyweight giants that lurk in the centers of galaxies.

(A) thousands or even millions of times less in its mass as
(B) it is thousands or even millions of times less massive as
(C) thousands or even millions of times less massive than
(D) yet it is thousands or even millions times less massive than
(E) yet it is thousands or even millions of times less in its mass than

I think in C, the two phrases "hundreds of times more... " and " thousands or..." refer to subject of main clause and modify this clause.

is it right?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 62 [0]
Given Kudos: 89
Concentration: Finance, International Business
Schools: IIMB
GMAT 1: 550 Q42 V28
GPA: 3.96
WE:Human Resources (Retail Banking)
Send PM
abhimahna wrote:
victory47 wrote:
monirjewel wrote:
A middleweight black hole weighs in at roughly 500 solar masses, hundreds of times more massive than the lightweight black holes produced by the collapse of individual stars, but thousands or even millions of times less in its mass as the heavyweight giants that lurk in the centers of galaxies.

I think in C, the two phrases "hundreds of times more... " and " thousands or..." refer to subject of main clause and modify this clause.

is it right?

Yes, that is true. Both the clauses are modifying the subject of main clause.

hi abhi

here could you please tell me that after 2nd clause (,but) what is the subject here , means as you have told me that comma+SANAM pronoun is used when we have separate Independent clauses then what is the subject in that clause i think in the correct option C there should be subject .

please clarify , i am totally confused

thanks
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 5425 [1]
Send PM
A middleweight black hole weighs in at roughly 500 solar mas [#permalink]
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
nks2611 wrote:
hi abhi

here could you please tell me that after 2nd clause (,but) what is the subject here , means as you have told me that comma+SANAM pronoun is used when we have separate Independent clauses then what is the subject in that clause i think in the correct option C there should be subject .

thanks

Hi nks2611 ,

You got confused man. When we have two independent clauses, they must be joined with comma + SANAM. But it is not true the other way.

What I mean is : if you are saying "we have a comma + SANAM, it MUST have an independent clauses joined together" is not correct.

Let's talk about this question:

IC: A middleweight black hole weighs in at roughly 500 solar masses,

DC 1 : hundreds of times more massive than the lightweight black holes produced by the collapse of individual stars
DC 2 : thousands or even millions of times less massive than the heavyweight giants that lurk in the centers of galaxies.

The two Dependent clauses here are showing the contrast by using the word "but".

Both these Dependent clauses are modifying a middleweight black hole.

I hope that makes sense. :)
Verbal Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 8808 [0]
Given Kudos: 171
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GPA: 3.2
WE:Information Technology (Consulting)
Send PM
abhimahna wrote:
nks2611 wrote:
hi abhi

thanks

Hi nks2611 ,

You got confused man. When we have two independent clauses, they must be joined with comma + SANAM. But it is not true the other way.

What I mean is : if you are saying "we have a comma + SANAM, it MUST have an independent clauses joined together" is not correct.

Let's talk about this question:

IC: A middleweight black hole weighs in at roughly 500 solar masses,

DC 1 : hundreds of times more massive than the lightweight black holes produced by the collapse of individual stars
DC 2 : thousands or even millions of times less massive than the heavyweight giants that lurk in the centers of galaxies.

The two Dependent clauses here are showing the contrast by using the word "but".

Both these Dependent clauses are modifying a middleweight black hole.

I hope that makes sense. :)

I think you meant usage of comma + FANBOYS(coordinating conjunctions ) for joining 2 independent clauses. :)
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 5425 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
Skywalker18 wrote:
I think you meant usage of comma + FANBOYS(coordinating conjunctions ) for joining 2 independent clauses. :)

Yeah, I meant the same. Got confused. Thanks Skywalker18 :)
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 396 [0]
Given Kudos: 2198
Send PM
IlanaEconomistGMAT wrote:
This is a comparison question. Solving it relies on understanding how the prepositions 'than' and 'as' are used in comparisons.

Comparisons either compare two things that are equal or unequal in respect to a certain trait. We use 'than' for unequal comparisons, and 'as...as' for equal comparisons.

Unequal: London is more expensive than Liverpool.
Equal: London is as expensive as Paris.

As you can see in the question below, the comparison is an unequal comparison: lightweight black holes have less mass than middleweight black holes. The comparison must use than - this eliminates A and B.

What about C, D, and E - all of them use 'than'?

It is easy to see that of the remaining answer choices, C is the most concise. D and E are wordy and create more confusion by introducing the pronoun 'it' unnecessarily.

monirjewel wrote:

in choice D and E, "it is..." is parallel grammatically with the main clause but not with 'hundreds of times...' this is not logical.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: CrackVerbal
Own Kudos [?]: 7625 [0]
Given Kudos: 215
Send PM
Top Contributor
monirjewel wrote:

This question is based on Comparison.

The sentence draws a comparison between a middleweight black hole and lightweight and heavyweight black holes on the basis of their weight.

In Option A, the comparison is not parallel as the comparative word ‘as’ cannot follow the adverb ‘more’. Furthermore, the phrase ‘less in its mass’ is wordy and awkward. So, Option A can be eliminated.

Option B also contains the same error as Option A. The adverb ‘more’ cannot be followed by the conjunction ‘as’. So, Option B can be eliminated.

Option D contains the redundant conjunction ‘yet’. Since the conjunction ‘but’ is already present, the conjunction ‘yet’, which conveys the same meaning, is unnecessary. The phrase “it is” is also unnecessary as the subject “a middleweight black hole applies to this phrase also. So, Option D can be eliminated.

Option E repeats the errors in Option D and Option A. So, Option E can also be eliminated.

Option C contains the appropriate conjunction ‘than’ and is concise. Therefore, C is the most appropriate option.

Jayanthi Kumar.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6917 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts