Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 13:22 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 13:22

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 253 [39]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
e-GMAT Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 30796 [18]
Given Kudos: 635
GMAT Date: 08-19-2020
Send PM
General Discussion
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 974 [1]
Given Kudos: 264
GMAT 1: 620 Q49 V24
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 270 [0]
Given Kudos: 16
Concentration: General Management, Finance
GPA: 3.22
WE:Corporate Finance (Consulting)
Send PM
Re: A migraine typically afflicts one side of the head, lasts for hours or [#permalink]
What's the difference between "infrequently" and "frequently" anyway?

I was looking for that word in the answer choices but didn't find one. Any thoughts?

"as infrequently as" - I haven't encountered this idiom. Sucks to be a non-native. :(
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: Project Management Professional (PMP)
Own Kudos [?]: 155 [2]
Given Kudos: 12
Concentration: Marketing
Send PM
Re: A migraine typically afflicts one side of the head, lasts for hours or [#permalink]
Kudos
egmat wrote:
Hi all,

A migraine typically afflicts one side of the head, lasts for hours or days, and may recur as infrequently as once every other month or often, as daily.

The sentence says that a migraine does a few things:

a. it afflicts one side of the head,

b. it lasts for hours or days, and

c. it may recur:

i. either as infrequently as once every other month
ii. or as often as daily.

Error Analysis

This sentence has three errors:

1. The idiom used for the comparison is correct - "as infrequently as once every other month". However, the idiom used for the second error is not correct. The sentence uses the incomplete idiom "often as". We need "as" before that phrase to make the idiom complete.

2. This idiom error leads to parallelism error also. "as infrequently as once every other month" is not parallel to "often as".

3. Use of comma after "often" is incorrect. In the idiom "as X as", there is no comma.

PoE:

(A) as infrequently as once every other month or often, as: Incorrect for the reasons discussed above.

(B) as infrequently as once every other month or as often as: Correct. This choice uses the correct idiom for the second comparison and removes the comma also. By this is the Official Answer

(C) infrequently, as often as once every other month, or often, like: Incorrect.
i. The modifier "as often as" is modifying "infrequently". These are two contrary terms that makes this choice non-sensical.
ii. Use of "like" is incorrect in this choice.

(D) infrequently, like once every other month, or often, like: Incorrect. Use of like is incorrect here.

(E) infrequently, like once every other month, or as often as: Incorrect.
i. Use of "like" is incorrect.
ii. "infrequently, like once every other month" is not parallel to "as often as".

Hope this helps.
Thanks.
Shraddha.

Hi Shraddha

Couldn't understand why "infrequently, like once every other month" is not parallel to "as often as".
Please elaborate.. Thanks
e-GMAT Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 30796 [3]
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
gmatsaga wrote:
What's the difference between "infrequently" and "frequently" anyway?

I was looking for that word in the answer choices but didn't find one. Any thoughts?

"as infrequently as" - I haven't encountered this idiom. Sucks to be a non-native. :(

Hi there,
"Frequent" means regular. "Infrequent" is just the opposite. It means "irregular". If we say that something takes place "infrequently", we mean that that action does not place regularly.

Now the migraine sentence here presents any one of the two possible states of the recurrence of the pain:
a. "either it occurs as infrequently" as once every other month". So migriane may recur once every alternate month. This means that recirrence is not regular. It happens in long intervals. That's why the sentence uses the adverb "infrquently".
b. "or as often as daily". So migraine pain may recur everyday. Now this is frequent as this action may take place everday.

Don't feel disheartened if you are unable to understand anythung. It is not possible to master any language 100%, not even our native language. Every language is changing everyday with new omissions and commissions in words, their usages, so on and so forth.
Post your doubts on forums like these and increase your knowledge :-D

Hope this helps.
Shraddha
e-GMAT Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 30796 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
narangvaibhav wrote:
Hi Shraddha

Couldn't understand why "infrequently, like once every other month" is not parallel to "as often as".
Please elaborate.. Thanks

Hi Vaibhav,

According to the logical intended meaning of the sentence, the migraine may recur either X or Y. Here the entities X and Y should be parallel. Now per choice E, about which you have a doubt, these two entities are:
X = infrequently, like once every other month
Y = as often as

Grammatically, entity X is incorrect anyway because use of “like” is incorrect here. Structurally also, these two entities are not parallel. The second entity uses the correct idiom “as often as daily” which is not parallel “infrequently, like once every other month.” We need the same idiomatic structure to make the entities parallel. And in this context, it is absolutely possible to make these two entities structurally identical as evident in Choice B, the correct answer.

Hope this helps.
Thanks.
Shraddha
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 119 [0]
Given Kudos: 152
Schools: Darden '21
GPA: 4
Send PM
paeagain wrote:
A migraine typically afflicts one side of the head, lasts for hours or days, and may recur as infrequently as once every other month or often, as daily.

(A) as infrequently as once every other month or often, as

(B) as infrequently as once every other month or as often as

(C) infrequently, as often as once every other month, or often, like

(D) infrequently, like once every other month, or often, like

(E) infrequently, like once every other month, or as often as

I chose B for parallelism and clear concise structure

A migraine typically afflicts one side of the head, lasts for hours or days, and may recur
as infrequently as once every other month or as often as daily.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [2]
Given Kudos: 30
Send PM
Kudos
Can anyone please explain, why like is incorrect? When is it okay to write like?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 54
Send PM
how long should this question take me to answer correctly?
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 619010 [0]
Given Kudos: 81595
Send PM
Expert Reply
valeriacastro11 wrote:

This is an easy question (check the stats in the firs post), so ideally you should solve it under 2-minutes. Currently the average time for correct answer is 01:06 minutes, so I'd say anything around this is OK.
e-GMAT Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 30796 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
valeriacastro11 wrote:

Hey valeriacastro11

This is a pretty easy question. Anything upwards of 30 seconds is too long if you're targeting, or are at, a V40+. That said, don't be alarmed if you're not there yet. Take your time working on the basics. You'll be there soon enough.

Best,

Abhishek :)
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6921 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts