It is currently 16 Oct 2017, 19:13

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

A mixture of poems and short fiction, Jean Toomers Cane has

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 331 [0], given: 0

A mixture of poems and short fiction, Jean Toomers Cane has [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Oct 2006, 21:15
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

35% (medium)

Question Stats:

63% (00:39) correct 37% (00:44) wrong based on 615 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

A mixture of poems and short fiction, Jean Toomer’s Cane has been called one of the three best novels ever written by Black Americans—the others being Richard Wright, author of Native Son, and Ralph Ellison, author of Invisible Man.

A. Black Americans—the others being Richard Wright, author of Native Son, and Ralph Ellison, author of Invisible Man
B. Black Americans—including Native Son by Richard Wright and Invisible Man by Ralph Ellison
C. a Black American—including Richard Wright, author of Native Son, and Ralph Ellison, author of Invisible Man
D. a Black American—the others being Richard Wright, author of Native Son, and Ralph Ellison, author of Invisible Man
E. a Black American—the others being Richard Wright’s Native Son and Ralph Ellison’s Invisible Man
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Last edited by Vyshak on 29 Jul 2017, 07:14, edited 2 times in total.
Underlined

VP
VP

Kudos [?]: 47 [0], given: 0

Re: A mixture of poems and short fiction, Jean Toomers Cane has [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 Oct 2006, 00:58
This post was
BOOKMARKED
E it is. The others refer to books, not authors.

Kudos [?]: 47 [0], given: 0

Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 24 Oct 2006, 11:46
Oh..... it's more difficult than anticipated for guys..

1 KUDOS received
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 49 [1], given: 0

Show Tags

New post 24 Oct 2006, 13:23
This post received
KUDOS
B would have been a better choice but stem says ONE out of something which should refer to a singular.

Hence E.

Cane has been called ONE of the three best novels ever written by A BLACK AMERICAN - the others being Richard Wright’s Native Son and Ralph Ellison’s Invisible Man

Kudos [?]: 49 [1], given: 0

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

Show Tags

New post 24 Oct 2006, 20:15
we are comparing novels, not authors, so the only options that do so here are B and E. Sthg tells me E is ackward, so I go with B.

Current Student
B

Kudos [?]: 434 [0], given: 0

Show Tags

New post 26 Oct 2006, 07:57
ak_idc wrote:
KC wrote:
A mixture of poems and short fiction, Jean Toomer’s Cane has been called one of the three best novels ever written by Black Americans—the others being Richard Wright, author of Native Son, and Ralph Ellison, author of Invisible Man.

A. Black Americans—the others being Richard Wright, author of Native Son, and Ralph Ellison, author of Invisible Man
B. Black Americans—including Native Son by Richard Wright and Invisible Man by Ralph Ellison
C. a Black American—including Richard Wright, author of Native Son, and Ralph Ellison, author of Invisible Man
D. a Black American—the others being Richard Wright, author of Native Son, and Ralph Ellison, author of Invisible Man
E. a Black American—the others being Richard Wright’s Native Son and Ralph Ellison’s Invisible Man

They are parallel. Hence E.

(E) for the same reasoning. Putting this one back up on the top of the board for the OA.

Kudos [?]: 434 [0], given: 0

Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 27 Oct 2006, 20:50
KC wrote:
Oh....

CCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

Kc, where did you find the answer for this question? I'm asking you cause I still can't believe that the answer is not between B and E. I searched this site and two other forums claim B is the right answer.

http://www.gmatclub.com/phpbb/viewtopic ... isible+man

http://www.gmatclub.com/phpbb/viewtopic ... isible+man

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 108 [0], given: 13

Concentration: General Management, Entrepreneurship
GMAT Date: 12-22-2011
GPA: 3.81
WE: General Management (Hospitality and Tourism)

Show Tags

New post 18 Jun 2011, 09:35
OA from GMAT Prep is E
So В is incorrect

Kudos [?]: 108 [0], given: 13

GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend

Kudos [?]: 261 [0], given: 0

Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 18 Aug 2014, 04:57
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.

Kudos [?]: 261 [0], given: 0

Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator

Kudos [?]: 1798 [0], given: 302

Concentration: Economics, Finance
Schools: LBS MIF '19
WE: Asset Management (Investment Banking)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 06 Sep 2015, 03:56
This post was
BOOKMARKED
KC wrote:

Just stumbled over this OG Question and wondering what's wrong with B?

IMO it compares Books/Novels with Books/Novels since the expressions "Native Son" and "Invisible Man" are written in italics. So B is in my view superior because it is shorter and therefore more concise than E which is rightly parallel and comparing Novels with Novels.

The only thing which would make me go for E, is that it sounds more parallel than B. How to decide in this case? mikemcgarry Please :-)

Saving was yesterday, heat up the gmatclub.forum's sentiment by spending KUDOS!

PS Please send me PM if I do not respond to your question within 24 hours.

Kudos [?]: 1798 [0], given: 302

1 KUDOS received
VP
VP
S

Kudos [?]: 158 [1], given: 916

Show Tags

New post 07 Sep 2015, 01:48
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
KC wrote:

B have two errors

AmericanS, should be singular. more logic. plural is not logic.

including is worse than "the others". if we say some thing is in a group, we use including. if we say about the remaining part of the group, we use the others. HARD, VERY HARD, I CAN NOT DO THIS JOB IN TEST ROOM

visit my facebook to help me.
on facebook, my name is: thang thang thang

Kudos [?]: 158 [1], given: 916

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 1

Show Tags

New post 23 Aug 2016, 07:51
This post was
BOOKMARKED
reto wrote:
KC wrote:

Just stumbled over this OG Question and wondering what's wrong with B?

IMO it compares Books/Novels with Books/Novels since the expressions "Native Son" and "Invisible Man" are written in italics. So B is in my view superior because it is shorter and therefore more concise than E which is rightly parallel and comparing Novels with Novels.

The only thing which would make me go for E, is that it sounds more parallel than B. How to decide in this case?

To clarify this, you have to see what is the including pointing to.

One of the three best novels by black Americans, including.

This implies that Cane includes the other two novels. This is plain wrong!!!

One of the three best novels by black Americans, the other being..

This clarifies that Cane is one and the other two are blah blah.

Hope this helps

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 1

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 9

Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 23 Aug 2016, 12:12

1) a Black American vs Black Americans . Since the subject is referring to a book, which is singular, a black american is the right choice.
A&B are out.

2) The others is correctly referring to the books. So option C is out

3) Option E is correctly referring books.

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 9

Top Contributor
1 KUDOS received
Retired Moderator
P
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying

Kudos [?]: 7867 [1], given: 363

WE: Education (Education)

Show Tags

New post 23 Aug 2016, 15:38
This post received
KUDOS
Top Contributor
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Choice B is a problem because of using the inappropriate ‘including’ whether with the dash or without the dash. If we mean to have the dash, as an adverbial modifier, it will wrongly modify the book ' 'Cane’ as Blackfoot has pointed out. If you use it without the dash, then it will absurdly refer to Black Americans that include two novels

“Better than a thousand days of diligent study is one day with a great teacher” – a Japanese proverb.

Kudos [?]: 7867 [1], given: 363

Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 45

GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 02 Oct 2017, 07:03
bb souvik101990 could you please explain usage of "being" here.

Asper my understanding, Being can be used either as Subject or continuous tense.

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 45

Re: A mixture of poems and short fiction, Jean Toomers Cane has   [#permalink] 02 Oct 2017, 07:03

A mixture of poems and short fiction, Jean Toomers Cane has

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap