Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 09:09 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 09:09

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 1586 [22]
Given Kudos: 579
Concentration: Operations, Finance
GPA: 3.35
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 71 [4]
Given Kudos: 22
GMAT 1: 700 Q50 V34
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 368 [1]
Given Kudos: 28
Concentration: Operations, Marketing
WE:Operations (Retail)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 90 [0]
Given Kudos: 52
Concentration: Leadership, Strategy
Send PM
Re: A new drug, taken twice daily for one month, is an effective treatment [#permalink]
Why A is not right? Isn't it true that the patients might be having some side effects which are yet not attributed to the drug in question?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 30 [0]
Given Kudos: 86
Concentration: Marketing, Leadership
Send PM
Re: A new drug, taken twice daily for one month, is an effective treatment [#permalink]
Understood the question now .

It looks like the new drug causes nausea and if nausea causes people the stop taking drugs then it wont be preferred drug for treatment .

Originally posted by renjana on 10 Apr 2018, 06:58.
Last edited by renjana on 12 Apr 2018, 06:15, edited 1 time in total.
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 984 [0]
Given Kudos: 1021
GMAT 1: 760 Q48 V47
GMAT 2: 770 Q49 V48
GMAT 3: 770 Q50 V47
GMAT 4: 790 Q50 V51
GRE 1: Q168 V167

GRE 2: Q170 V169
Send PM
Expert Reply
NandishSS wrote:
A new drug, taken twice daily for one month, is an effective treatment for a certain disease. The drug now most commonly prescribed for the disease occasionally has serious side effects such as seizures; the new drug has side effects much more frequently, but the worst of them is mild nausea. Therefore, the new drug is clearly preferable as a treatment.

Which of the following, if true, most seriously weakens the argument?

A) It is possible that the drug now most commonly prescribed has side effects that have not yet been attributed to it.
B) People who experience nausea are prone to discontinue use of the new drug prematurely.
C) Other drugs for the disease have typically been prescribed only for patients allergic to the most commonly prescribed drug.
D) People who have received effective treatment for disease do not generally contract the disease again.
E) There is a nonprescription medication that when taken with the new drug prevents the onset of nausea.

Similar Question :

A new drug, taken twice daily for one month

NandishSS, is this in fact a question from the GMATPrep software, or is it simply an edited version of this question from EP2?

We want to make sure that questions with the "GMAT Prep EP2" tag are ACTUAL questions from EP2. Questions BASED on official questions should be tagged with the actual source (i.e. "Self-made question", "Other - Please specify", etc.).
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 290 [0]
Given Kudos: 29
Send PM
Yes I agree A and B are close contenders and A is a bit more appropriate answer. I don't think it is an official question.... Seems poorly designed as A and B both cannot be eliminated with a good reason.

Sent from my Lenovo K53a48 using GMAT Club Forum mobile app
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 1586 [0]
Given Kudos: 579
Concentration: Operations, Finance
GPA: 3.35
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
GMATNinjaTwo wrote:
NandishSS wrote:
A new drug, taken twice daily for one month, is an effective treatment for a certain disease. The drug now most commonly prescribed for the disease occasionally has serious side effects such as seizures; the new drug has side effects much more frequently, but the worst of them is mild nausea. Therefore, the new drug is clearly preferable as a treatment.

A) It is possible that the drug now most commonly prescribed has side effects that have not yet been attributed to it.
B) People who experience nausea are prone to discontinue use of the new drug prematurely.
C) Other drugs for the disease have typically been prescribed only for patients allergic to the most commonly prescribed drug.
D) People who have received effective treatment for disease do not generally contract the disease again.
E) There is a nonprescription medication that when taken with the new drug prevents the onset of nausea.

Similar Question :

NandishSS, is this in fact a question from the GMATPrep software, or is it simply an edited version of this question from EP2?

We want to make sure that questions with the "GMAT Prep EP2" tag are ACTUAL questions from EP2. Questions BASED on official questions should be tagged with the actual source (i.e. "Self-made question", "Other - Please specify", etc.).

HI GMATNinjaTwo ,

Please find the attachment of Question. This not the only question which GMAC have twisted and asked for, but have come across few more question, which are in GMATPrep as Strengthen but in EP2 they have asked to weaken.

I hope it is clear now, Please change the Tag to GMATPrep EP2
Attachments

File comment: GMATPrep EP2 Question
GMATPrep EP2.jpg
GMATPrep EP2.jpg [ 112.22 KiB | Viewed 14070 times ]

GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 984 [0]
Given Kudos: 1021
GMAT 1: 760 Q48 V47
GMAT 2: 770 Q49 V48
GMAT 3: 770 Q50 V47
GMAT 4: 790 Q50 V51
GRE 1: Q168 V167

GRE 2: Q170 V169
Send PM
Expert Reply
NandishSS wrote:
GMATNinjaTwo wrote:
NandishSS wrote:

Similar Question :

HI GMATNinjaTwo ,

Please find the attachment of Question. This not the only question which GMAC have twisted and asked for, but have come across few more question, which are in GMATPrep as Strengthen but in EP2 they have asked to weaken.

I hope it is clear now, Please change the Tag to GMATPrep EP2

Done! Thank you NandishSS for the confirmation!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 342 [0]
Given Kudos: 28
Send PM
Type: Weaken the conclusion

Conclusion: the new drug is clearly preferable as a treatment.

- the conclusion is concerned with the ''new drug'', not the drug that is currently prescribed.
B) People who experience nausea are prone to discontinue use of the new drug prematurely. - from the passage, we know that the new drug is known to cause nausea. So, if people discontinue the usage of this new drug as soon as they experience nausea, then we can reasonably infer that their preference for this new drug will decline. Hence, (B) weakens the conclusion. Therefore, (B) is the right answer to this question.

- the conclusion is not at all concerned with ''other drugs''
- irrelevant to the conclusion cited.
- the conclusion is not at all concerned with ''nonprescription medication''.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 29 [0]
Given Kudos: 41
Send PM
A new drug, taken twice daily for one month, is an effective treatment [#permalink]
prashant6923 wrote:
Why A is not right? Isn't it true that the patients might be having some side effects which are yet not attributed to the drug in question?

Please note that Option A actually strengthens the argument.

The argument, in a nut shell, is that the new drug should be preferred over the "present common drug". It is preferred because although the frequency of side effect of the common drug is less, it is very serious, whereas even though the frequency of the side effect of the new drug is more, it is not so serious.

So Option A says that there could be some other side effect of the common drug that has not yet been discovered. If that is the case, then the frequency of side effect of common drug will increase, including severe side effects. That should in fact promote the use of new drug and hence strengthens the argument.

Posted from my mobile device
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6917 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
CR Forum Moderator
832 posts