It is currently 12 Dec 2017, 23:36

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

A new machine for harvesting corn will allow rows to be planted only f

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:

Hide Tags

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 03 Jul 2013
Posts: 45

Kudos [?]: 7 [1], given: 9

Concentration: Entrepreneurship, International Business
Re: A new machine for harvesting corn will allow rows to be planted only f [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 07 Jul 2013, 08:41
1
This post received
KUDOS
A for me

As for D, even if the number of plants doubles, the argument already said that the yield wil reduce. So, increased plants doesn't exactly mean increased grain output.

while A gives you a clear cut way of cost reduction. Profit = Revenue - Cost

Kudos [?]: 7 [1], given: 9

Manager
Manager
avatar
Status: Got Bling! Joined Phd Finance at IIML
Affiliations: IIMB, advantages.us, IIML
Joined: 03 Jul 2013
Posts: 95

Kudos [?]: 21 [0], given: 39

Location: India
Concentration: Finance, Economics
Schools: iim-bangalore - Class of 1994
GMAT 1: 750 Q59 V43
GPA: 3.12
WE: Research (Investment Banking)
Re: A new machine for harvesting corn will allow rows to be planted only f [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 Jul 2013, 21:18
I agree D might be used against the candidates for wanting to choose a direct opposite of the stated goal of the argument and we should watch out However the argument in A seems weak or unsubstantiated ( as in B) or both and one finds oneself choosing D which is a provided fact that can given other arguments double the yield.I refer marking the question incomplete as strategy.

That will certainly avoid errors in the exam



techjanson wrote:

Swagatalakshmi wrote:
Which of the following most logically completes the argument?

A new machine for harvesting corn will allow rows to be planted only fifteen inches apart, instead of the usual thirty inches. Cornplanted this closely will produce lower yields per plant. Nevertheless, the new machine will allow corn growers to double their profits per acre because .

A. with the closer spacing of the rows, the growing corn plants will quickly form a dense canopy of leaves, which will, by shading the ground, minimize the need for costly weed control and irrigation

B. with the closer spacing of the rows, corn plants will be forced to grow taller because of increased competition for sunlight from neighboring corn plants

C. with the larger number of plants growing per acre, more fertilizer will be required

D. with the spacing between rows cut by half, the number of plants grown per acre will almost double

E. with the closer spacing of the rows, the acreage on which corn is planted will be utilized much more intensively than it was before, requiring more frequent fallow years in which corn fields are left unplanted




Answer: A

Kudos [?]: 21 [0], given: 39

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 02 Mar 2012
Posts: 356

Kudos [?]: 91 [0], given: 4

Schools: Schulich '16
Re: A new machine for harvesting corn will allow rows to be planted only f [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 Jul 2013, 15:11
A it is.

i narrowed it down to A and D.But D is undermined from the argument("less yield" so less profit.)
The question is tellilng us to find an alternative OTHER than yield.(fertilizers,pesticides etc)


hope it helps

Kudos [?]: 91 [0], given: 4

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 03 Apr 2014
Posts: 13

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 43

Location: India
Concentration: Marketing, Finance
GMAT 1: 710 Q50 V35
Re: A new machine for harvesting corn will allow rows to be planted only f [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 May 2014, 21:30
Yup, D cannot be the answer. Its because we can find that the final output from the action would not be the double amount.

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 43

1 KUDOS received
Current Student
User avatar
Joined: 25 Sep 2012
Posts: 283

Kudos [?]: 179 [1], given: 242

Location: India
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
GMAT 1: 660 Q49 V31
GMAT 2: 680 Q48 V34
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge
Re: A new machine for harvesting corn will allow rows to be planted only f [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 Jun 2014, 07:27
1
This post received
KUDOS
the OA is A. Mods please add the OA :D

Kudos [?]: 179 [1], given: 242

Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 13 Apr 2014
Posts: 70

Kudos [?]: 168 [0], given: 196

Re: A new machine for harvesting corn will allow rows to be planted only f [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 Sep 2014, 13:51
Swagatalakshmi wrote:
Which of the following most logically completes the argument?

A new machine for harvesting corn will allow rows to be planted only fifteen inches apart, instead of the usual thirty inches. Cornplanted this closely will produce lower yields per plant. Nevertheless, the new machine will allow corn growers to double their profits per acre because .

A. with the closer spacing of the rows, the growing corn plants will quickly form a dense canopy of leaves, which will, by shading the ground, minimize the need for costly weed control and irrigation

B. with the closer spacing of the rows, corn plants will be forced to grow taller because of increased competition for sunlight from neighboring corn plants

C. with the larger number of plants growing per acre, more fertilizer will be required

D. with the spacing between rows cut by half, the number of plants grown per acre will almost double

E. with the closer spacing of the rows, the acreage on which corn is planted will be utilized much more intensively than it was before, requiring more frequent fallow years in which corn fields are left unplanted


D is wrong because it does not take the argument into account and the formula Sales - Costs = Profit...

The argument is "the new machine will allow corn growers to double their profits per acre".

In general, arguments that discuss profits need to be addressed with the formula of Sales - Costs = Profits. Answer choice A attacks the "cost" part of the formula. If the farmer lowers the costs, profits will rise!

All answer choice D really says is that the number of plants will double. You can not assume that sales will double with costs only rising marginally to create double the amount of profits. This might not be the best advice but you can assume D from the statement - if the spacing is cut in half, the number of plants must double.

Hope this helps...

Kudos [?]: 168 [0], given: 196

Expert Post
2 KUDOS received
MBA Section Director
User avatar
D
Joined: 19 Mar 2012
Posts: 4734

Kudos [?]: 18042 [2], given: 1990

Location: India
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.8
WE: Marketing (Non-Profit and Government)
Re: A new machine for harvesting corn will allow rows to be planted only f [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 25 Jan 2015, 21:17
2
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
4
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Which of the following most logically completes the argument?
A new machine for harvesting corn will allow rows to be planted only fifteen inches apart, instead of the usual thirty inches. Corn planted this closely will produce lower yields per plant. Nevertheless, the new machine will allow corn growers to double their profits per acre because __________.

A. with the closer spacing of the rows, the growing corn plants will quickly form a dense canopy of leaves, which will, by shading the ground, minimize the need for costly weed control and irrigation

B. with the closer spacing of the rows, corn plants will be forced to grow taller because of increased competition for sunlight from neighboring corn plants

C. with the larger number of plants growing per acre, more fertilizer will be required

D. with the spacing between rows cut by half, the number of plants grown per acre will almost double

E. with the closer spacing of the rows, the acreage on which corn is planted will be utilized much more intensively than it was before, requiring more frequent fallow years in which corn fields are left unplanted

[Reveal] Spoiler:
A. Remember that you don't need to prove the conclusion of the argument -- you just need to pick the statement that adds force to it.
i.e., the exact mathematical content of "double" = x2 is not significant. in fact, the specific numbers in CR problems almost *never* matter; usually, the only thing that matters is relative comparisons -- for instance, quantity #1 is bigger than quantity #2, or quantity #1 is bigger than it was expected to be, etc.

in this passage, the only thing that matters is that the profits are higher than what could be explained by the plant yields. (i.e., there are twice as many plants per acre, but their yield will be depressed -- so the total output won't be twice as much per acre.)
the "2x" doesn't matter; what matters is that this figure is more than would be explained by plant yields alone. therefore, you have to find some other factor, not having to do with plant yield, that would increase profits.

_________________

My GMAT Resources
V30-V40: How to do it! | GMATPrep SC | GMATPrep CR | GMATPrep RC | Critical Reasoning Megathread | CR: Numbers and Statistics | CR: Weaken | CR: Strengthen | CR: Assumption | SC: Modifier | SC: Meaning | SC: SV Agreement | RC: Primary Purpose | PS/DS: Numbers and Inequalities | PS/DS: Combinatorics and Coordinates

My MBA Resources
Everything about the MBA Application | Over-Represented MBA woes | Fit Vs Rankings | Low GPA: What you can do | Letter of Recommendation: The Guide | Indian B Schools accepting GMAT score | Why MBA?

My Reviews
Veritas Prep Live Online

Kudos [?]: 18042 [2], given: 1990

Current Student
User avatar
Status: Birds fly because they have wings, not because they have sky.
Joined: 21 Sep 2014
Posts: 216

Kudos [?]: 95 [0], given: 73

Location: Singapore
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V40
GPA: 3.65
WE: Information Technology (Consulting)
Re: A new machine for harvesting corn will allow rows to be planted only f [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 Jan 2015, 09:13
IMO D.

This option is most closely inferred from the premise of the para.
_________________

Regards,
J

--------------------------------------------------
Consider Kudos if I helped in some way!!!

Perseverance is the hard work you do after you get tired of doing the hard work you already did.

Kudos [?]: 95 [0], given: 73

1 KUDOS received
Verbal Forum Moderator
avatar
Joined: 05 Nov 2012
Posts: 529

Kudos [?]: 665 [1], given: 606

Concentration: Technology, Other
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: A new machine for harvesting corn will allow rows to be planted only f [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 Jan 2015, 23:48
1
This post received
KUDOS
the new machine will allow corn growers to double their profits per acre because...
Profit = Revenue - Expense.

A. with the closer spacing of the rows, the growing corn plants will quickly form a dense canopy of leaves, which will, by shading the ground, minimize the need for costly weed control and irrigation
>> Correct.

D. with the spacing between rows cut by half, the number of plants grown per acre will almost double
>>"Corn planted this closely will produce lower yields per plant. " reduces the effect of "the number of plants grown per acre will almost double".
_________________

--------------------------------------------------------
Regards :)

Kudos [?]: 665 [1], given: 606

1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 27 Oct 2013
Posts: 252

Kudos [?]: 131 [1], given: 79

Location: India
Concentration: General Management, Technology
GMAT Date: 03-02-2015
GPA: 3.88
Re: A new machine for harvesting corn will allow rows to be planted only f [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 27 Jan 2015, 00:32
1
This post received
KUDOS
Here we go...

According to me Option A is correct.

Reasoning:
corn will be planted only fifteen inches apart instead of usual thirty inches -> This will lower yield, however the profit will double-----> How to fill this GAP (lower yield, higher profit)

option A fills the gap.

Kudos [?]: 131 [1], given: 79

1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 27 Dec 2013
Posts: 301

Kudos [?]: 41 [1], given: 113

Re: A new machine for harvesting corn will allow rows to be planted only f [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 27 Jan 2015, 20:27
1
This post received
KUDOS
+1 for Option A. Souvik- Please post OAs.


souvik101990 wrote:
Which of the following most logically completes the argument?
A new machine for harvesting corn will allow rows to be planted only fifteen inches apart, instead of the usual thirty inches. Corn planted this closely will produce lower yields per plant. Nevertheless, the new machine will allow corn growers to double their profits per acre because __________.

A. with the closer spacing of the rows, the growing corn plants will quickly form a dense canopy of leaves, which will, by shading the ground, minimize the need for costly weed control and irrigation

B. with the closer spacing of the rows, corn plants will be forced to grow taller because of increased competition for sunlight from neighboring corn plants

C. with the larger number of plants growing per acre, more fertilizer will be required

D. with the spacing between rows cut by half, the number of plants grown per acre will almost double

E. with the closer spacing of the rows, the acreage on which corn is planted will be utilized much more intensively than it was before, requiring more frequent fallow years in which corn fields are left unplanted

[Reveal] Spoiler:
OA - 24 hours

_________________

Kudos to you, for helping me with some KUDOS.

Kudos [?]: 41 [1], given: 113

1 KUDOS received
BSchool Forum Moderator
avatar
Joined: 01 Oct 2009
Posts: 587

Kudos [?]: 477 [1], given: 412

GMAT 1: 530 Q47 V17
GMAT 2: 710 Q50 V36
WE: Business Development (Telecommunications)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: A new machine for harvesting corn will allow rows to be planted only f [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 Jan 2015, 01:45
1
This post received
KUDOS
P : New Harvesting Machine plants fifteen inches apart instead of thirty inches.
Corn planted this closely will produce lower yields per plant

C : the new machine will allow corn growers to double their profits per acre because

Provide an Answer option that Strengthens the Conclusion :


B,C,E Can easily be eliminated.

Between A,D: A doesnt really convince me to believe that the Profit will double.

Option D : The plantation is Doubled clearly provides strength to the Conclusion Drawn.

Ans : D

Kudos [?]: 477 [1], given: 412

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 27 Oct 2013
Posts: 252

Kudos [?]: 131 [0], given: 79

Location: India
Concentration: General Management, Technology
GMAT Date: 03-02-2015
GPA: 3.88
Re: A new machine for harvesting corn will allow rows to be planted only f [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 Jan 2015, 02:01
RaviChandra wrote:
P : New Harvesting Machine plants fifteen inches apart instead of thirty inches.
Corn planted this closely will produce lower yields per plant

C : the new machine will allow corn growers to double their profits per acre because

Provide an Answer option that Strengthens the Conclusion :


B,C,E Can easily be eliminated.

Between A,D: A does really convince me to believe that the Profit will double.

Option D : The plantation is Doubled clearly provides strength to the Conclusion Drawn.

Ans : D



Option D states : with the spacing between rows cut by half, the number of plants grown per acre will almost double


In the argument, it is mentioned:

Corn planted this closely will produce lower yields per plant.

According to me, it directly contradicts that is already stated in the argument; However, we need to find something that will justify the lower yield but high profit.

Correct me if I'm wrong.

Kudos [?]: 131 [0], given: 79

1 KUDOS received
BSchool Forum Moderator
avatar
Joined: 01 Oct 2009
Posts: 587

Kudos [?]: 477 [1], given: 412

GMAT 1: 530 Q47 V17
GMAT 2: 710 Q50 V36
WE: Business Development (Telecommunications)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: A new machine for harvesting corn will allow rows to be planted only f [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 Jan 2015, 03:03
1
This post received
KUDOS
DesiGmat wrote:


Option D states : with the spacing between rows cut by half, the number of plants grown per acre will almost double


In the argument, it is mentioned:

Corn planted this closely will produce lower yields per plant.

According to me, it directly contradicts that is already stated in the argument; However, we need to find something that will justify the lower yield but high profit.

Correct me if I'm wrong.



yeah i guess your point is valid... and because of this D could be wrong

Kudos [?]: 477 [1], given: 412

Director
Director
User avatar
P
Joined: 05 Mar 2015
Posts: 966

Kudos [?]: 301 [0], given: 41

Re: A new machine for harvesting corn will allow rows to be planted only f [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Aug 2015, 01:33
[quote="Swagatalakshmi"]Which of the following most logically completes the argument?

A new machine for harvesting corn will allow rows to be planted only fifteen inches apart, instead of the usual thirty inches. Cornplanted this closely will produce lower yields per plant. Nevertheless, the new machine will allow corn growers to double their profits per acre because .

A. with the closer spacing of the rows, the growing corn plants will quickly form a dense canopy of leaves, which will, by shading the ground, minimize the need for costly weed control and irrigation

B. with the closer spacing of the rows, corn plants will be forced to grow taller because of increased competition for sunlight from neighboring corn plants

C. with the larger number of plants growing per acre, more fertilizer will be required

D. with the spacing between rows cut by half, the number of plants grown per acre will almost double

E. with the closer spacing of the rows, the acreage on which corn is planted will be utilized much more intensively than it was before, requiring more frequent fallow years in which corn fields are left unplanted[/quote


IMO its A ..but yes VERY good question again....

Kudos [?]: 301 [0], given: 41

Non-Human User
User avatar
Joined: 01 Oct 2013
Posts: 10160

Kudos [?]: 275 [0], given: 0

Premium Member
Re: A new machine for harvesting corn will allow rows to be planted only f [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 Jul 2016, 23:36
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.

Kudos [?]: 275 [0], given: 0

Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 13 Jun 2016
Posts: 134

Kudos [?]: 135 [0], given: 424

Location: United States
Concentration: Finance, Technology
Re: A new machine for harvesting corn will allow rows to be planted only f [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 Aug 2016, 10:17
Trap answer is D if you don't read carefully. This is what the testmakers want! to make sure you are not paying attention and then bam fall into the trap

Kudos [?]: 135 [0], given: 424

Manager
Manager
avatar
B
Joined: 01 Feb 2015
Posts: 57

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 37

Re: A new machine for harvesting corn will allow rows to be planted only f [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 Sep 2017, 18:50
mikemcgarry / GMATNinja can you please explain?

After going through the explanations above, I understood that option D is incorrect (this is what I had marked though). The reason is - Although the number of plants may almost double, the yield for all those plants will be low. If the reduction in yield = or more than increase in yield because of the number of plants doubling, we aren't sure.

However, A also makes an assumption. P = S - C. Question says yield is reduced (i.e., sales is reduced). Option A says C(cost) is reduced too.
Does this not imply that profit may remain same or increase or decrease depending on the value? How can we assume it will double the profits?

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 37

Expert Post
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
User avatar
G
Joined: 28 Dec 2011
Posts: 4550

Kudos [?]: 8949 [0], given: 111

Re: A new machine for harvesting corn will allow rows to be planted only f [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 Sep 2017, 19:14
Chef wrote:
mikemcgarry / GMATNinja can you please explain?

After going through the explanations above, I understood that option D is incorrect (this is what I had marked though). The reason is - Although the number of plants may almost double, the yield for all those plants will be low. If the reduction in yield = or more than increase in yield because of the number of plants doubling, we aren't sure.

However, A also makes an assumption. P = S - C. Question says yield is reduced (i.e., sales is reduced). Option A says C(cost) is reduced too.
Does this not imply that profit may remain same or increase or decrease depending on the value? How can we assume it will double the profits?

Dear Chef,

I'm happy to respond. :-)

My friend, you missed a crucial detail. It didn't say that total yield for the whole field is reduced. It said that
Corn planted this closely will produce lower yields per plant.
That's very different.

If yield per plant remained unchanged, then planting twice as many plants in the same field would double the yield. If the yield per plant decreases some moderate amount, then the full field would not give double the yield. We can assume that yield per plant goes down, say, by 10% o4 20%, but not by more than 50%. That would be a drastic reduction that would have to be noted in the text--essentially, the prompt would be lying by understatement, if the real drop in the yield were more than 50%. If the drop per plant is less than 50%, then the total yield of the field will increase, so S will increase.

If we then also decrease C, this is sure to increase profit.

Does this make sense?
Mike :-)
_________________

Mike McGarry
Magoosh Test Prep

Image

Image

Education is not the filling of a pail, but the lighting of a fire. — William Butler Yeats (1865 – 1939)

Kudos [?]: 8949 [0], given: 111

Manager
Manager
avatar
B
Joined: 01 Feb 2015
Posts: 57

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 37

Re: A new machine for harvesting corn will allow rows to be planted only f [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 Sep 2017, 20:26
mikemcgarry wrote:
Chef wrote:
mikemcgarry / GMATNinja can you please explain?

After going through the explanations above, I understood that option D is incorrect (this is what I had marked though). The reason is - Although the number of plants may almost double, the yield for all those plants will be low. If the reduction in yield = or more than increase in yield because of the number of plants doubling, we aren't sure.

However, A also makes an assumption. P = S - C. Question says yield is reduced (i.e., sales is reduced). Option A says C(cost) is reduced too.
Does this not imply that profit may remain same or increase or decrease depending on the value? How can we assume it will double the profits?

Dear Chef,

I'm happy to respond. :-)

My friend, you missed a crucial detail. It didn't say that total yield for the whole field is reduced. It said that
Corn planted this closely will produce lower yields per plant.
That's very different.

If yield per plant remained unchanged, then planting twice as many plants in the same field would double the yield. If the yield per plant decreases some moderate amount, then the full field would not give double the yield. We can assume that yield per plant goes down, say, by 10% o4 20%, but not by more than 50%. That would be a drastic reduction that would have to be noted in the text--essentially, the prompt would be lying by understatement, if the real drop in the yield were more than 50%. If the drop per plant is less than 50%, then the total yield of the field will increase, so S will increase.

If we then also decrease C, this is sure to increase profit.

Does this make sense?
Mike :-)



Thanks Mike.

But how did you assume that the reduction is not more than 50%? Question just says reduced yield per plant.

"essentially, the prompt would be lying by understatement, if the real drop in the yield were more than 50%." Is this an assumption?

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 37

Re: A new machine for harvesting corn will allow rows to be planted only f   [#permalink] 05 Sep 2017, 20:26

Go to page   Previous    1   2   3    Next  [ 47 posts ] 

Display posts from previous: Sort by

A new machine for harvesting corn will allow rows to be planted only f

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.