It is currently 22 Sep 2017, 06:45

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

A new species of fish has just been discovered living in

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

2 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 378 [2], given: 172

GPA: 3.46
WE: Information Technology (Consulting)
Premium Member
A new species of fish has just been discovered living in [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 18 Sep 2013, 21:28
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
A new species of fish has just been discovered living in great numbers in the waters off Papua New Guinea. The fish exhibits some characteristics belonging to sharks, such as a cartilaginous skeleton. However, the fish also exhibits characteristics belonging to eels, such as a long, snake-like body. Because of the habitat where it was found and its obviously eel-like body, almost all scientists believe that the fish is an eel. But the cartilaginous skeleton puzzles them, since no known eel possesses one. So scientists are still unsure as to the fish's precise classification, but they agreed immediately that the most logical classification would be as either a shark or an eel.

The statements above, if true, most strongly support which of the following?

A. To be placed into a certain classification, a fish must possess all the characteristics of that classification.
B. Physical characteristics, such as skeletons, are scientists' primary means of classifying new species.
C. Some fish with cartilaginous skeletons are not sharks.
D. The waters off Papua New Guinea are generally hospitable to eels.
E. A fish cannot be both a shark and an eel.

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 57

Re: A new species of fish has just been discovered living in [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 Sep 2013, 03:39
Hi,

My answer was "Option C".

Can you please explain why "Option D" is correct and others are not?

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 57

3 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 414 [3], given: 4

Schools: LBS '14 (A)
GMAT 1: 770 Q48 V48

Show Tags

New post 19 Sep 2013, 03:54
This post received
KUDOS
Hi Prateek,

Let me see if I can help.

The issue with your answer C, is that no where in the passage does it suggest that there are other fish that are not sharks with a cartilaginous skeleton. In fact it says the opposite - the problem scientists are having is that they've not come across such a thing in an eel like fish before.

D is correct, because you can infer that because many scientists are happy to call this fish an eel, that eel's must be found close to Papa New Guinea.

Does that make sense?

James

Former GMAT Pill student, now on staff. Used GMATPILL OG 12 and nothing else: 770 (48,48) & 6.0

... and more

Kudos [?]: 414 [3], given: 4

Current Student

Kudos [?]: 167 [0], given: 242

Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
GMAT 1: 660 Q49 V31
GMAT 2: 680 Q48 V34
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 19 Sep 2013, 06:48
I marked E. The last sentence made me more inclined towards E

Kudos [?]: 167 [0], given: 242

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 17

GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 19 Sep 2013, 11:47
plumber250 wrote:
Hi Prateek,

Let me see if I can help.

The issue with your answer C, is that no where in the passage does it suggest that there are other fish that are not sharks with a cartilaginous skeleton. In fact it says the opposite - the problem scientists are having is that they've not come across such a thing in an eel like fish before.

D is correct, because you can infer that because many scientists are happy to call this fish an eel, that eel's must be found close to Papa New Guinea.

Does that make sense?

James

I chose A .

..So scientists are still unsure as to the fish's precise classification, but they agreed immediately that the most logical classification would be as either a shark or an eel...

What I inferred from here is that scientist are in dilemma and they are not able to classify the fish as an eel or as shark cause they are bound by some rules. Option A told the same ...To be placed into a certain classification, a fish must possess all the characteristics of that classification .. If this rule is not there then they could have easily classified the fish as an eel or as a shark based on few characteristics (must not possess all).

Please enlighten me.

The First and Last time !!!

BKPL - Below Kudos Poverty Line .....Need your help.

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 17

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 39 [0], given: 30

Concentration: Accounting, Finance
GMAT Date: 10-25-2013
GPA: 3.66

Show Tags

New post 19 Sep 2013, 11:51
b2bt wrote:
I marked E. The last sentence made me more inclined towards E

Even I marked E as my answer.

Can someone please explain this question???? :?

Strive for Excellence....!!!!!

Kudos [?]: 39 [0], given: 30

2 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

GPA: 3.46
WE: Information Technology (Consulting)
Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 19 Sep 2013, 20:38
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
This is OE given by Kaplan.

Conclusion: This is an inference question that asks us to draw a conclusion from the information provided. What must also be true given the stimulus?

Evidence: Since we need to draw our own conclusion, we can use all facts provided in the argument as evidence.

The first sentence states that the new fish was discovered off the waters of Papua New Guinea. In addition, the sentence 4 states that the new fish shares its habitat with the eel. In combination, these two sentences indicate that eels also live in the waters off Papua New Guinea. So this region must be hospitable to eels, as stated in (D).

(A) doesn't follow from the information given. The last sentence implies that the new fish could be classified as a shark even though it does not have a cartilaginous skeleton Also, it is extreme in its use of the word all. With (B), the importance of physical characteristics relative to other characteristics is not discussed. With (C), if the new fish were to be classified as an eel, then we could conclude that at least one fish with a cartilaginous skeleton is not a shark. The stimulus, however, never says this. Furthermore, we aren't told anything about other fish classifications. And with (E), the last sentence states that the new fish will probably be classified as either a shark or an eel, but suggests nothing about an animal being both. Though this choice may seem true, we don't know for certain.

Hope it helps!!

1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 67 [1], given: 401

Concentration: Finance, General Management
Schools: EMLYON FT'16
GMAT 1: 650 Q47 V32
GPA: 3.44

Show Tags

New post 08 Nov 2013, 11:28
This post received
KUDOS
mba1382 wrote:
A new species of fish has just been discovered living in great numbers in the waters off Papua New Guinea. The fish exhibits some characteristics belonging to sharks, such as a cartilaginous skeleton. However, the fish also exhibits characteristics belonging to eels, such as a long, snake-like body. Because of the habitat where it was found and its obviously eel-like body, almost all scientists believe that the fish is an eel. But the cartilaginous skeleton puzzles them, since no known eel possesses one. So scientists are still unsure as to the fish's precise classification, but they agreed immediately that the most logical classification would be as either a shark or an eel.

A. To be placed into a certain classification, a fish must possess all the characteristics of that classification.
B. Physical characteristics, such as skeletons, are scientists' primary means of classifying new species.

I discussed this question with my teacher and his answer was direct: this will never be on a GMAT exam!

The reason he evoked is that "generally" is not correct in the answer choices. Generally could mean that only 60% of the waters off Papua new Guinea are hospitable to eels and therefore, the conclusion is not obvious and is ambiguous!

A. To be placed into a certain classification, a fish must possess all the characteristics of that classification. - "All" is incorrect - Wrong
B. Physical characteristics, such as skeletons, are scientists' primary means of classifying new species. - Not stated - Wrong
C. Some fish with cartilaginous skeletons are not sharks. - Can not logically conclued this from text - Wrong

The answer E is an extrapolation that is too extreme to be stated. "A fish (meaning all the kind of fish) cannot be a shark and an eel"

Answer D is correct but really badly formulated...

This will never be on the GMAT exam...

Think outside the box

Kudos [?]: 67 [1], given: 401

3 KUDOS received
BSchool Forum Moderator

Kudos [?]: 708 [3], given: 44

Concentration: International Business, Marketing
GMAT Date: 06-06-2014
GPA: 3.07
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge
A new species of fish has just been discovered living in gre [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 Jul 2014, 08:07
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
This is my new project: Renew Old Thread => Back to basic => Just try It and give your reasoning
The topic will be sticky for 2 days from starting

Rules for posting in verbal gmat forum, read it before posting anything in verbal forum
Giving me + 1 kudos if my post is valuable with you :)

The more you like my post, the more you share to other's need

CR: Focus of the Week: Must be True Question

Kudos [?]: 708 [3], given: 44

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 105

Concentration: Technology, Finance
GMAT 1: 680 Q49 V33
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: A new species of fish has just been discovered living in gre [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 Jul 2014, 00:51
E. A fish cannot be both a shark and an eel.[/quote]

IMO E is the best answer....

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 105

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 6 [1], given: 10

Schools: LBS MIF '16

Show Tags

New post 29 Jul 2014, 04:29
This post received
KUDOS
archersharma wrote:

IMO E is the best answer....[/quote]

The question states that " Because of the habitat where it was found and its obviously eel-like body, almost all scientists believe that the fish is an eel "

This clearly implies that waters off Papua New Guinea are hospitable to eels.

Hope it helps

It is not over untill you stop trying

Mock Test Scores :
GMAT Prep 1 : 730 Q50 V39
GMAT Prep 2 : 740 Q49 V41

Kudos [?]: 6 [1], given: 10

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 61

Concentration: Marketing, Leadership
GMAT 1: 530 Q46 V18
WE: Other (Entertainment and Sports)

Show Tags

New post 30 Jul 2014, 17:21
What does "IMO" stand for? :P

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 554

Concentration: General Management, Leadership
GMAT Date: 04-24-2013
WE: General Management (Energy and Utilities)
Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 31 Jul 2014, 03:00
IMO the conclusion is the fish can most logically be classified as either a shark or an eelhence the classification of both is not possible . hence E.

IMO-In My Opinion :P

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 554

Intern
Intern

Concentration: Marketing, Leadership
GMAT 1: 530 Q46 V18
WE: Other (Entertainment and Sports)

Show Tags

New post 31 Jul 2014, 12:04
Thanks sivaspurthy. Even I thought it should have been E too. Unfortunately what matters is what gmat thinks is right. Expert opinion needed!!

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 75 [0], given: 58

Show Tags

New post 01 Aug 2014, 06:21
Seems like both D and E can be equally correct....
Experts?

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Concentration: Technology, General Management
GMAT Date: 08-05-2014
GPA: 2.8

Show Tags

New post 03 Aug 2014, 09:55
D would have been the right answer in case, the conclusion has stated the scientists classify the fish as eel. But, the last statement is confusing there. The fishes have not been categorized either as shark or an eel.

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

2 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 93 [2], given: 101

Show Tags

New post 03 Aug 2014, 22:20
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
tuanquang269 wrote:
This is my new project: Renew Old Thread => Back to basic => Just try It and give your reasoning

I fell in the trap of D as well. but after checking LSAT, I find out that "either/or" means "at least one of the two". this definition implicitly allows that both elements occur... therefore, D is the correct answer.

Kudos [?]: 93 [2], given: 101

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 3

Show Tags

New post 03 Aug 2014, 23:32
This post was
BOOKMARKED

Start with main points of abstract
1. New fish found near Papua New Guinea (PNG)
2. New fish Similar to Shark
3. Scientist belive that new fish = eel because where it lives & similar charcterstics as eel possessed
but scientist are puzzeled over skelton so the New fish is either shark or eel
Now look at options:
A. To be placed into a certain classification, a fish must possess all the characteristics of that classification.= Perhaps the most contending option but " the charcterstics of that classification" extreme the answer to narrow the category= keep alive as strong point
B. Physical characteristics, such as skeletons, are scientists' primary means of classifying new species.=That is not true since scientist look for body structure as well= so wrong
C. Some fish with cartilaginous skeletons are not sharks.= out of scope cauz primarily focused on property of matter= so out of space
D. The waters off Papua New Guinea are generally hospitable to eels.= this looks the probable answer because above the above bold + underline line states that the water is hospitable
E. A fish cannot be both a shark and an eel.= The fish can be both but since the puzzling dot is Skelton so cannot justify the statement= hence wrong

So choice left A & D
A= too extreme to classify/ justify the correctness

Answer= D

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 3

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 170 [0], given: 148

GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 04 Aug 2014, 01:10
bb61 wrote:
tuanquang269 wrote:

I fell in the trap of D as well. but after checking LSAT, I find out that "either/or" means "at least one of the two". this definition implicitly allows that both elements occur... therefore, D is the correct answer.

Thank you for the explanation. I was wondering how E can be possibly wrong.

+1 Kudos please, if you like my post

Kudos [?]: 170 [0], given: 148

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Show Tags

New post 04 Aug 2014, 02:46
bb61 wrote:
tuanquang269 wrote:

Are you sure about this?
Either one or two means it's just one of the two... can't be both.... am I wrong?
What you are saying sounds very strange.....

Re: A new species of fish has just been discovered living in gre   [#permalink] 04 Aug 2014, 02:46

Go to page   Previous    1   2   3   4    Next  [ 62 posts ]