GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 19 Jun 2019, 01:00

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

A new stroke treatment system is being developed by the Hunter Medical

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Retired Moderator
Concentration: Economics, Finance
Schools: LBS MIF '19
WE: Asset Management (Investment Banking)
GMAT ToolKit User
A new stroke treatment system is being developed by the Hunter Medical  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 Aug 2015, 02:17
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

95% (hard)

Question Stats:

46% (02:25) correct 54% (02:15) wrong based on 393 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

A new stroke treatment system is being developed by the Hunter Medical Research Institute in Australia, and if the system proves that it can effectively allow more stroke patients to receive thrombolysis within the three hour treatment window than currently possible, it will save the lives of many as well as millions of dollars.

A. A new stroke treatment system is being developed by the Hunter Medical Research Institute in Australia, and if the system proves that it can effectively allow more stroke patients to receive thrombolysis within the three hour treatment window than currently possible, it will save the lives of many as well as

B. A new stroke treatment system is currently being developed by the Hunter Medical Research Institute in Australia, and if the system proves that it can effectively allow more stroke patients to receive thrombolysis within the three hour treatment window than currently possible, it has saved the lives of many and

C. If the new stroke treatment system, currently being developed by the Hunter Medical Research Institute in Australia, proves that it can effectively allow more stroke patients to receive thrombolysis within the three hour treatment window than currently possible, it will save the lives of many and

D. If the new stroke treatment system that is being developed by the Hunter Medical Research Institute in Australia proves that it can effectively allow stroke patients to receive thrombolysis within the three hour treatment window, it will save the lives of many and

E. If the new stroke treatment system, currently being developed by the Hunter Medical Research Institute in Australia, proves that it can effectively allow more stroke patients to receive brain saving thrombolysis within the three hour treatment window than currently possible, it would save the lives of many and

PS Please send me PM if I do not respond to your question within 24 hours.
Board of Directors
D
A new stroke treatment system is being developed by the Hunter Medical  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 Aug 2015, 03:26
Good question but I am a bit perplexed about it in the right choice C

If the new stroke treatment system, currently being developed by the Hunter Medical Research Institute in Australia, proves that it can effectively allow more stroke patients to receive thrombolysis within the three hour treatment window than currently possible, it will save the lives of many and

The first IT though Australia in inserted within an incidental phrase so it logically refers to treatment why I can not have the doubt the the pronoun refers to the Institute ??

Also

If the new stroke treatment system, currently being developed by the Hunter Medical Research Institute in Australia, proves that it can effectively allow more stroke patients to receive thrombolysis within the three hour treatment window than currently possible, it will save the lives of many and

In this light I m not convinced of this construction. redundant and not stylistically appropriate

:problem: :problem:
B
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 09 Aug 2015, 08:00
I would go with A. Any choice with "currently being" should be wrong.

Then we are saving money as well as lives.

Regards,
Dom.
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Strategy, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 680 Q47 V36
GMAT 2: 740 Q50 V40
GPA: 3.65
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge
Re: A new stroke treatment system is being developed by the Hunter Medical  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 Aug 2015, 11:01
I went for C.... though can't understand the exact problem in A... Can someone plz exaplain...
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: A new stroke treatment system is being developed by the Hunter Medical  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 Aug 2015, 11:45
reto wrote:
A new stroke treatment system is being developed by the Hunter Medical Research Institute in Australia, and if the system proves that it can effectively allow more stroke patients to receive thrombolysis within the three hour treatment window than currently possible, it will save the lives of many as well as millions of dollars.

A. A new stroke treatment system is being developed by the Hunter Medical Research Institute in Australia, and if the system proves that it can effectively allow more stroke patients to receive thrombolysis within the three hour treatment window than currently possible, it will save the lives of many as well as

B. A new stroke treatment system is currently being developed by the Hunter Medical Research Institute in Australia, and if the system proves that it can effectively allow more stroke patients to receive thrombolysis within the three hour treatment window than currently possible, it has saved the lives of many and

C. If the new stroke treatment system, currently being developed by the Hunter Medical Research Institute in Australia, proves that it can effectively allow more stroke patients to receive thrombolysis within the three hour treatment window than currently possible, it will save the lives of many and

D. If the new stroke treatment system that is being developed by the Hunter Medical Research Institute in Australia proves that it can effectively allow stroke patients to receive thrombolysis within the three hour treatment window, it will save the lives of many and

E. If the new stroke treatment system, currently being developed by the Hunter Medical Research Institute in Australia, proves that it can effectively allow more stroke patients to receive brain saving thrombolysis within the three hour treatment window than currently possible, it would save the lives of many and

Official Explanation for AC C:

This answer choice corrects the original Redundancy error by replacing as well as with the more concise and. It also correctly uses the Future Simple tense (will save) in the result part of a Conditional 1 sentence.

You will find every other question in detail here:

https://gmat.economist.com/gmat-practic ... ditional-1

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
B
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 10 Aug 2015, 21:06
Hi,

The Economist GMAT site does not talk anything about the usage of "currently being".. This is clearly redundant... since "being" shows that the event is currently in process... we dont require "currently"

Can someone please share their opinions about this.

Regards,
Dom.
Retired Moderator
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 10 Aug 2015, 22:44
dominicraj wrote:
Hi,

The Economist GMAT site does not talk anything about the usage of "currently being".. This is clearly redundant... since "being" shows that the event is currently in process... we dont require "currently"

Can someone please share their opinions about this.

Regards,
Dom.

Hi Dom.

Are you sure with this rule? I haven't read about it yet. I think this is an issue of source: Economist strongly teaches the "as well as" as redundant while I have never heard them saying "currently being" is redundant. So maybe it is not worth the time bothering about it ...

Regards

Retired Moderator
V
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying
WE: Education (Education)

Show Tags

New post 11 Aug 2015, 00:12
- My view:
1. The original text does not contain the word ‘currently’. Then why is Economist meddling with the original content in the choices? It may be ok to change or fortify it, if the original is absurd; but as suggested, it seems to be too trivial for Economist to consider it.
But strikingly, there is a 3 to 2 split between with currently and without currently. Because redundancy is an untenable flaw, unless the originator proves to the contrary with some official precedents, we can eliminate all choices that contain ‘currently’ as redundant
This is a fit case for Economist to clarify its mindset, when there is so much noise being made about the validity of the content
B

Show Tags

New post 09 Dec 2018, 09:26
I'm not really convinced of option C, especially using "currently" twice. That makes it a bit awkward IMO.
Manager
Manager
B
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 19 Jan 2019, 13:29
Hi. Isn't the usage of being as modifier in option C incorrect?

generis would appreciate your expert comments.

Thanks

Posted from my mobile device
Senior SC Moderator
V

Show Tags

New post 19 Jan 2019, 22:24
reto wrote:
C. If the new stroke treatment system, currently being developed by the Hunter Medical Research Institute in Australia, proves that it can effectively allow more stroke patients to receive thrombolysis within the three hour treatment window than currently possible, it will save the lives of many and millions of dollars.

Mudit27021988 wrote:
Hi. Isn't the usage of being as modifier in option C incorrect?

generis would appreciate your expert comments.

Thanks

Mudit27021988 , no, the usage of "being" is not incorrect, although I can understand why it might seem as if that were the case.

I will leave "currently" out of the analysis for a moment

This rule is a bit obscure, but we use being + past participle when we employ the passive voice.

Construction #1: Hunter Medical Research Institute is developing the new stroke treatment system
Construction #2: The new stroke treatment system is being developed by Hunter Medical Research Institute.

What about . . .
Construction #3: If the new stroke treatment system, developed by Hunter Medical Research Institute, proves that it can . . .

In that variation, the past participle of develop has become simple past tense of develop.
That variation means "Hunter Medical Research Institute developed the new stroke treatment system."
Fait accompli. Finished. Over.

Construction #4: If the new stroke treatment system, currently developed by Hunter Medical Research Institute, proves that it can . .
"currently developed" means -- what?
Currently suggests now.
Developed suggests the past.
Is developed a verb or a participle?
It has to be a participle. We cannot use "currently" to describe a past tense verb.
But if developed is a participle, the action is not still happening.

We need "being" to connote an action still ongoing, still in progress.
Being + developed = present progressive, which is used in passive constructions such as the one in option C.

Try to remember that Constructions #1 and #2 say the same thing.
Construction #1 uses is developING to connote ongoing action.
Construction #2 uses beING developed (by) to connote ongoing action.

I hope that helps.

P.S. This question, its official answer, and its official explanation make me want to holler.
If I were you, I would not spend much time on it.

Tell me, what is it you plan to do with your one wild and precious life? -- Mary Oliver
GMAT Club Bot
A new stroke treatment system is being developed by the Hunter Medical   [#permalink] 19 Jan 2019, 22:24

A new stroke treatment system is being developed by the Hunter Medical

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics