It is currently 14 Dec 2017, 05:29

Decision(s) Day!:

CHAT Rooms | Wharton R1 | Stanford R1 | Tuck R1 | Ross R1 | Haas R1

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

A new study suggests that the conversational pace of everyday life may

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 53 [0], given: 12

Re: A new study suggests that the conversational pace of everyday life may [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 Feb 2012, 14:04
I took B because the other choices contained flaws.

However, I have a gerneral question about the use of "it". I thought that "it" could possibly refer to study instead of pace. Is this ruled out by "that", which introduces a realtive clause? I know it is not asked in the question but in other SC problems there are a lot of unclear referent issues...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kudos

Kudos [?]: 53 [0], given: 12

1 KUDOS received
Retired Moderator
Status: 2000 posts! I don't know whether I should feel great or sad about it! LOL

Kudos [?]: 1139 [1], given: 109

Schools: Harvard, Stanford, Wharton, MIT & HKS (Government)
WE 1: Economic research
WE 2: Banking
WE 3: Government: Foreign Trade and SMEs
Re: A new study suggests that the conversational pace of everyday life may [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 Feb 2012, 16:59
This post received
KUDOS
fiendex wrote:
I took B because the other choices contained flaws.

However, I have a gerneral question about the use of "it". I thought that "it" could possibly refer to study instead of pace. Is this ruled out by "that", which introduces a realtive clause? I know it is not asked in the question but in other SC problems there are a lot of unclear referent issues...

You can accept certain ambiguity in pronouns. They should be your last split when you eliminate the choices, except if there is a non-sense pronoun.

Also, notice that "it" is parallel with "conversacional pace". Both are subjects in their clauses.
When that happens, there is less ambiguity. But the sentences must be parallel.

+1 B

"Life’s battle doesn’t always go to stronger or faster men; but sooner or later the man who wins is the one who thinks he can."

My Integrated Reasoning Logbook / Diary: http://gmatclub.com/forum/my-ir-logbook-diary-133264.html

GMAT Club Premium Membership - big benefits and savings

Kudos [?]: 1139 [1], given: 109

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 20

Show Tags

New post 23 Sep 2012, 04:16
sudeep wrote:
What's wrong with B?

B makes sense as the intention is to say that ability is hampered and not completely gone.
Quote:
A new study suggests that the conversational pace of everyday life may be so brisk it
hampers the ability of some children for distinguishing discrete sounds and words and,
the result is, to make
sense of speech.
A. it hampers the ability of some children for distinguishing discrete sounds and
words and, the result is, to make
B. that it hampers the ability of some children to distinguish discrete sounds and
words and, as a result, to make
C. that it hampers the ability of some children to distinguish discrete sounds and
words and, the result of this, they are unable to make
D. that it hampers the ability of some children to distinguish discrete sounds and
words, and results in not making
E. as to hamper the ability of some children for distinguishing discrete sounds and

A,E are gone for idiom: ability to

D has the problem:
the conversational pace of everyday life hampers the ability of children to .. and results in not making sense of speech (of whom children are not implicit in here)
Also the intention is to say hampering the ability not loosing it.

C says they are unable => extreme and changes the meaning

hampering the ability doesn't imply that the person doesn't have the ability.
If original question intend to say that they are unable, then C would be the correct choice.

-------------
Please underline the SC question segment

Why is it wrong to say: conversational pace "hampers" X and "results" in Y

Do you mean that the pace itself doesn't result in Y but it only hampers X? Is that why D is wrong?
Does the sentence actually should mean: the pace hampers the ability to X and, as a result, to Y?

Another question:
Should it not be: "the pace hampers the ability to X, and to Y" instead of "the pace hampers the ability to X and, to Y" (as in option B)

I somehow mess everytime in sentences carrying "as a result/results/resulting in". I seem to agree with the explanation after selecting the wrong choice though. Do you have a tip or two to share here?

Thanks a lot.

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 20

Director
Director
S

Kudos [?]: 330 [0], given: 13

Show Tags

New post 23 Sep 2012, 08:57
D says: ...conversational pace...results in not making sense of speech.

The correct answer says: ...conversational pace...hampers the ability of some children...to make sense of speech.

Thanks,
Ashish (GMAT Faculty @ EducationAisle)
http://www.EducationAisle.com

Sentence Correction Nirvana available at Amazon.in and Flipkart

Now! Preview the entire Grammar Section of Sentence Correction Nirvana at pothi.com

Kudos [?]: 330 [0], given: 13

Verbal Forum Moderator
Affiliations: National Institute of Technology, Durgapur

Kudos [?]: 720 [0], given: 80

GPA: 3.32
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 04 Aug 2013, 05:58
OA is B, because it maintains the ||-ism

Regards,

S

Consider +1 KUDOS if you find this post useful

Kudos [?]: 720 [0], given: 80

Non-Human User

Kudos [?]: 277 [0], given: 0

Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 02 Jan 2014, 01:33
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 83 [0], given: 23

Show Tags

New post 26 Apr 2014, 12:11
Can someone please explain why, in option C, "the result of this" is incorrect?

Kudos [?]: 83 [0], given: 23

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 75 [0], given: 75

Dheeraj: Madaraboina
GPA: 3.5
Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 28 Apr 2014, 23:57
russ9 wrote:

You can directly eliminate option C because Suggests is Singular verb (base form of verb(v1) +s is always singular).
So we need singular noun/pronoun to refer to it .
They is incorrectly used in option C.

Hope this helps .

Kudos [?]: 75 [0], given: 75

1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 83 [1], given: 23

Show Tags

New post 29 Apr 2014, 06:46
This post received
KUDOS
dheeraj24 wrote:
russ9 wrote:

You can directly eliminate option C because Suggests is Singular verb (base form of verb(v1) +s is always singular).

Hope this helps .

I don't think that's correct? Doesn't "they" refer to "children"?

Kudos [?]: 83 [1], given: 23

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 75 [1], given: 75

Dheeraj: Madaraboina
GPA: 3.5
Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 29 Apr 2014, 08:57
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
russ9 wrote:
dheeraj24 wrote:
russ9 wrote:

Hope this helps .

I don't think that's correct? Doesn't "they" refer to "children"?

My Bad :(

God , please help me in answering posts correctly ....
Sorry editing the post.

They indeed refers to children. The point is Parallelism here.
In option B , "it" refers to Conversational pace .
Here conversational pace is doing two things
a) hampers ability ...... to distinguish discrete sounds and words b) hampers to make sense of speech.
Here "to distinguish" and "to make" are parallel. Hence B correct .

Let's walk in through other answer choices to know why they are wrong

A. it hampers the ability of some children for distinguishing discrete sounds and words and, the result is, to make.
For distinguishing is wrong.

C. that it hampers the ability of some children to distinguish discrete sounds and words and, the result of this, they are unable to make
Here author does not intend to say that children are unable to distinguish between sounds and words. Here author says that conversational pace hampers the ability to distinguish . Hence "they are unable to make" is not parallel to "to distinguish".
To be more precise , we know that "and" is a parallel marker .The sentence before "and" says that "conversational pace hampers ability ....to distinguish X and Y" . The sentence after "and" says they(children) are unable to make .... So these two sentences are not parallel.

D. that it hampers the ability of some children to distinguish discrete sounds and words, and results in not making.

If results is a verb then it's subject is Conversational pace. But it should have a different Subject .(comma +and ) joins two IC's. But the sentence after "and" is not a Independent clause . Hence Wrong .
E. as to hamper the ability of some children for distinguishing discrete sounds and words, resulting in being unable to make .
The word "that" is needed after brisk . --- Not Parallel.

Hope this helps :)

Kudos [?]: 75 [1], given: 75

Non-Human User

Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 29 Dec 2014, 08:40
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 0

Show Tags

New post 13 Feb 2015, 22:18
Is "so...as to" the right idiom in choic E?

thanks

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 0

Chat Moderator

Kudos [?]: 171 [0], given: 537

Concentration: Strategy, Healthcare
Schools: Sloan '18 (A)
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V41
GPA: 4
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 13 Mar 2015, 04:17
B is the best answer because of parallelism

If my post was helpful, press Kudos. If not, then just press Kudos !!!

Kudos [?]: 171 [0], given: 537

Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 309

Schools: Sloan '19

Show Tags

New post 02 Jan 2016, 05:40
I got the answer correct , but one quick query ....
Isn't "..., as a result,..."mentioned in choice B , hampering the parallelism?

I'm i correct in understanding that since "..., as a result,..." is mentioned within commas it is not impacting the parallelism.
Please help.

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 309

2 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 10 [2], given: 68

Concentration: General Management, Leadership
Schools: LBS
GPA: 3.82
WE: Engineering (Computer Software)
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 02 Jan 2016, 05:59
This post received
KUDOS
gmatlbs wrote:
I got the answer correct , but one quick query ....
Isn't "..., as a result,..."mentioned in choice B , hampering the parallelism?

I'm i correct in understanding that since "..., as a result,..." is mentioned within commas it is not impacting the parallelism.
Please help.

as a result is a modifier phrase, encapsulated in a pair of commas so yes it does not impact the parallelism,
it enhances the meaning of the second infinitive "to make" , establishing the cause - effect relationship between the two elements presented in parallel construction.
in fact, without "as a result" , these elements cannot be entirely parallel because they're not independent consequences that can be purely separated by "and" .

HTH

--

Consider +1 Kudos if you find my post useful

Kudos [?]: 10 [2], given: 68

Retired Moderator
S

Kudos [?]: 906 [0], given: 75

Show Tags

New post 04 Oct 2016, 11:19
rohitgoel15 wrote:
A new study suggests that the conversational pace of everyday life may be so brisk it hampers the ability of some children for distinguishing discrete sounds and words and, the result is, to make sense of speech.

A. it hampers the ability of some children for distinguishing discrete sounds and words and, the result is, to make
B. that it hampers the ability of some children to distinguish discrete sounds and words and, as a result, to make
C. that it hampers the ability of some children to distinguish discrete sounds and words and, the result of this, they are unable to make
D. that it hampers the ability of some children to distinguish discrete sounds and words, and results in not making
E. as to hamper the ability of some children for distinguishing discrete sounds and words, resulting in being unable to make
[Reveal] Spoiler:
I always get these kind of questions wrong. I always end up making wrong things parallel..
In this case i did hampers with results ...

Can anyone please suggest how to improve on this one particular topic? How to find what parallels what? :oops:

can some expert explain whether so.......as to idiom usage fits here?

The only time you can lose is when you give up. Try hard and you will suceed.
Thanks = Kudos. Kudos are appreciated

http://gmatclub.com/forum/rules-for-posting-in-verbal-gmat-forum-134642.html
When you post a question Pls. Provide its source & TAG your questions
Avoid posting from unreliable sources.

My posts
http://gmatclub.com/forum/beauty-of-coordinate-geometry-213760.html#p1649924
http://gmatclub.com/forum/calling-all-march-april-gmat-takers-who-want-to-cross-213154.html
http://gmatclub.com/forum/possessive-pronouns-200496.html
http://gmatclub.com/forum/double-negatives-206717.html
http://gmatclub.com/forum/the-greatest-integer-function-223595.html#p1721773
https://gmatclub.com/forum/improve-reading-habit-233410.html#p1802265

Expert Post
Verbal Expert
S

Kudos [?]: 3639 [0], given: 22

Schools: HHL Leipzig
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE: Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)

Show Tags

New post 04 Oct 2016, 12:10
Nevernevergiveup wrote:
rohitgoel15 wrote:
A new study suggests that the conversational pace of everyday life may be so brisk it hampers the ability of some children for distinguishing discrete sounds and words and, the result is, to make sense of speech.

A. it hampers the ability of some children for distinguishing discrete sounds and words and, the result is, to make
B. that it hampers the ability of some children to distinguish discrete sounds and words and, as a result, to make
D. that it hampers the ability of some children to distinguish discrete sounds and words, and results in not making
E. as to hamper the ability of some children for distinguishing discrete sounds and words, resulting in being unable to make
[Reveal] Spoiler:
I always get these kind of questions wrong. I always end up making wrong things parallel..
In this case i did hampers with results ...

Can anyone please suggest how to improve on this one particular topic? How to find what parallels what? :oops:

Yes, so... as.. (as used in option E) is valid. Option E is wrong because of another idiomatic error - "ability for..." is wrong.

Kudos [?]: 3639 [0], given: 22

Retired Moderator
S

Show Tags

New post 04 Oct 2016, 17:55
sayantanc2k wrote:
Nevernevergiveup wrote:
rohitgoel15 wrote:

Yes, so... as.. (as used in option E) is valid. Option E is wrong because of another idiomatic error - "ability for..." is wrong.

sayantanc2k

so.........as according to me means it is so brisk that it results in hampering the ability.
Whereas so that sounds a bit intentional. Then is so that ok here.

The only time you can lose is when you give up. Try hard and you will suceed.
Thanks = Kudos. Kudos are appreciated

http://gmatclub.com/forum/rules-for-posting-in-verbal-gmat-forum-134642.html
When you post a question Pls. Provide its source & TAG your questions
Avoid posting from unreliable sources.

My posts
http://gmatclub.com/forum/beauty-of-coordinate-geometry-213760.html#p1649924
http://gmatclub.com/forum/calling-all-march-april-gmat-takers-who-want-to-cross-213154.html
http://gmatclub.com/forum/possessive-pronouns-200496.html
http://gmatclub.com/forum/double-negatives-206717.html
http://gmatclub.com/forum/the-greatest-integer-function-223595.html#p1721773
https://gmatclub.com/forum/improve-reading-habit-233410.html#p1802265

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Verbal Expert
S

Kudos [?]: 3639 [1], given: 22

Schools: HHL Leipzig
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE: Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)

Show Tags

New post 07 Oct 2016, 05:19
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Nevernevergiveup wrote:
sayantanc2k wrote:
Nevernevergiveup wrote:

sayantanc2k

so.........as according to me means it is so brisk that it results in hampering the ability.
Whereas so that sounds a bit intentional. Then is so that ok here.

The usage so..that need not be intentional.

I was so tired that I could not keep my eyes open. (becoming tired is not intentional.)
The place is so beautiful that I felt like living there forever. (being beautiful is not intentional.)

Kudos [?]: 3639 [1], given: 22

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 39 [0], given: 19

GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 10 Oct 2016, 12:59
SPLIT1) "MAY BE SO BRISK THAT" => "SO THAT" => CORRECT IDIOM => IS THE CORRECT IDIOM. A AND E ARE OUT.

SPLIT2) "ABILITY TO" IS ALSO THE CORRECT IDIOM. IN THIS CASE THERE IS A CAVEAT LOOK AT THE ANSWERS YOU WILL FIND "ABILITY OF(PREPOSITION)…..FOR" AND "ABILITY OF(PREPOSITION)…TO" SO YOU NEED TO BLOCK THE NOISE OF THE PREPOSITION "OF SOME CHILDREN" AND FOCUS ON "ABILITY TO". A AND E ARE OUT.

SPLIT3) "TO DISTINGUISH" AND "TO MAKE" MUST BE PARALLEL. C AND D ARE OUT.

SPLIT4) "SO AS TO" IS RED FLAG BECAUSE MOST OF THE TIME GMAT DOES NOT LIKE IT. I KNOW THAT I SHOULD NOT GET RID OF E ON THIS BASIS ALONE BUT AT LEAST I KNOW THAT E HAS A BIG QUESTION MARK. A AND E ARE OUT.

Kudos [?]: 39 [0], given: 19

Re: A new study suggests that the conversational pace of everyday life may   [#permalink] 10 Oct 2016, 12:59

Go to page   Previous    1   2   3    Next  [ 49 posts ] 

A new study suggests that the conversational pace of everyday life may

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap