It is currently 10 Dec 2017, 20:59

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

A newly released study on the tectonic plates forming the Pacific

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Expert Post
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
G

Kudos [?]: 2024 [0], given: 462

GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: 340 Q170 V170
Re: A newly released study on the tectonic plates forming the Pacific [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 Jun 2017, 08:54
Nightmare007 wrote:
Hi sir,
It may seem silly question. Sorry for troubling you.
If in B "home of" were to become "home to", would the sentence be correct ?
thank you.

No question is silly! If you're wondering about something, I can promise that somebody else is, too. So please don't be shy! :-D

Even if you switched "the home of" to "home to", there would still be a problem in (B): "due to" phrases can only modify nouns, not verbs. In this case, "due to global warming" logically modifies "submerged", so it's wrong.

I hope this helps!

GMAT Club Verbal Expert | GMAT/GRE tutor at www.gmatninja.com (Now hiring!) | GMAT blog | Food blog | Friendly warning: I'm bad at PMs

GMAT Ninja Wednesdays LIVE on YouTube
Join us, and ask your questions in advance!

Beginners' guides to GMAT verbal
Reading Comprehension | Critical Reasoning | Sentence Correction

SC & CR Questions of the Day (QOTDs), featuring expert explanations
All QOTDs | Subscribe via email | RSS

Need an expert reply?
Hit the request verbal experts' reply button -- and please be specific about your question. Feel free to tag @GMATNinja and @GMATNinjaTwo in your post.

Sentence Correction articles & resources
How to go from great (760) to incredible (780) on GMAT SC | That "-ing" Word Probably Isn't a Verb | That "-ed" Word Might Not Be a Verb, Either | No-BS Guide to GMAT Idioms | "Being" is not the enemy | WTF is "that" doing in my sentence?

Reading Comprehension, Critical Reasoning, and other articles & resources
All GMAT Ninja articles on GMAT Club | Using LSAT for GMAT CR & RC |7 reasons why your actual GMAT scores don't match your practice test scores | How to get 4 additional "fake" GMAT Prep tests for $29.99... in any section order

YouTube verbal webinars:
"Next-level" GMAT pronouns | Uses of "that" on the GMAT | Parallelism and meaning | Simplifying GMAT verb tenses | Comparisons, part I |
November webinar schedule

Kudos [?]: 2024 [0], given: 462

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 14

GMAT 1: 660 Q50 V28
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: A newly released study on the tectonic plates forming the Pacific [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 27 Jul 2017, 12:00
5. a vast percentage of the coastline that is currently home to major world cities, by the time the plates have shifted even a few miles, will become entirely submerged because of global warming ---- Altered intent due to wrong word orders. The choice says that the plates will have submerged rather than the cities will have.

i still did not get this..can somebody explain this. I think E should be correct

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 14

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G

Kudos [?]: 127 [0], given: 98

Concentration: Strategy, Finance
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 27 Jul 2017, 12:30
maheshaero20 wrote:
A newly released study on the tectonic plates forming the Pacific basin indicates that by the time they had shifted even a few miles, a vast percentage of the coastline which is currently home to major world cities, because of global warming, will have already become entirely submerged.

This sentence seems to be testing everything!
Quote:
1. by the time they had shifted even a few miles, a vast percentage of the coastline which is currently home to major world cities, because of global warming, will have already become entirely submerged

Incorrect use of past perfect. Plus, which is used without a comma. OUT!
Quote:
2. by the time they shift even a few miles, a vast percentage of the coastline, which is currently a home of the major world cities, will have already become entirely submerged due to global warming

'home of' doesn't work really. It should be 'home to'. Plus 'due to' is incorrectly modifying the verb 'submerged'. OUT
Quote:
3. by the time they have shifted even a few miles, a vast percentage of the coastline currently home to major world cities already will have become entirely submerged because of global warming

No grammatical errors. Keep!
Quote:
4. a vast percentage of the coastline that is currently home to major world cities will have already become entirely submerged due to global warming by the time they have shifted even a few miles

This choice illogically says that the coastline would have shifted a few miles. OUT
Quote:
5. a vast percentage of the coastline that is currently home to major world cities, by the time the plates have shifted even a few miles, will become entirely submerged because of global warming

'by....miles' -> I'm not sure about the clause it's modifying. If it's modifying the previous clause, then there seems to be nothing wrong with the sentence though it does change the emphasis of the meaning from the original sentence, as this sentence makes the information presented by 'by....miles' as non-essential.
I'm not sure about E, and C closely resembles the intent of the original sentence. So i'm going to reject E on the basis of uncertainty.

So I'm going to go with C as the answer.

Put in the work, and that dream score is yours!

Kudos [?]: 127 [0], given: 98

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 25 [1], given: 42

GMAT 1: 710 Q50 V35
GPA: 4

Show Tags

New post 28 Jul 2017, 07:28
This post received
KUDOS
Isn't C a run on??
The answer should be E, right?

Please explain each and every option in detail. :(

Desperately need 'KUDOS' !!

Kudos [?]: 25 [1], given: 42

Expert Post
2 KUDOS received
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
G

Kudos [?]: 2024 [2], given: 462

GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: 340 Q170 V170

Show Tags

New post 28 Jul 2017, 12:11
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
rekhabishop wrote:
Isn't C a run on??

(C) definitely isn't a run-on. By definition, a run-on sentence consists of two independent clauses that aren't appropriately separated by punctuation or a conjunction.

In (C), the sentence begins with an independent clause: "A newly released study on the tectonic plates forming the Pacific basin indicates..." The rest of the sentence is a subordinate clause, beginning with the word "that": "...that by the time they have shifted even a few miles, a vast percentage of the coastline currently home to major world cities already will have become entirely submerged because of global warming."

So grammatically speaking, this is completely fine: just an independent clause with a long subordinate clause.

Check out the excellent explanations by daagh and akshayk above. If you still have specific questions after that, let us know!

GMAT Club Verbal Expert | GMAT/GRE tutor at www.gmatninja.com (Now hiring!) | GMAT blog | Food blog | Friendly warning: I'm bad at PMs

GMAT Ninja Wednesdays LIVE on YouTube
Join us, and ask your questions in advance!

Beginners' guides to GMAT verbal
Reading Comprehension | Critical Reasoning | Sentence Correction

SC & CR Questions of the Day (QOTDs), featuring expert explanations
All QOTDs | Subscribe via email | RSS

Need an expert reply?
Hit the request verbal experts' reply button -- and please be specific about your question. Feel free to tag @GMATNinja and @GMATNinjaTwo in your post.

Sentence Correction articles & resources
How to go from great (760) to incredible (780) on GMAT SC | That "-ing" Word Probably Isn't a Verb | That "-ed" Word Might Not Be a Verb, Either | No-BS Guide to GMAT Idioms | "Being" is not the enemy | WTF is "that" doing in my sentence?

Reading Comprehension, Critical Reasoning, and other articles & resources
All GMAT Ninja articles on GMAT Club | Using LSAT for GMAT CR & RC |7 reasons why your actual GMAT scores don't match your practice test scores | How to get 4 additional "fake" GMAT Prep tests for $29.99... in any section order

YouTube verbal webinars:
"Next-level" GMAT pronouns | Uses of "that" on the GMAT | Parallelism and meaning | Simplifying GMAT verb tenses | Comparisons, part I |
November webinar schedule

Kudos [?]: 2024 [2], given: 462

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 32

CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 03 Sep 2017, 06:46
Hello, I don't complain about the OA except that in it, the tense form at the beginning seems to be improper.

It says,'by the time they have shifted..................the major cities will have become......'

How correct is this form?

Example of a future perfect usage would be -
Jack will have finished his homework by the time his mother gets home.

Please help!!

Intern
Intern
B

CAT Tests
Sentence Correction: A newly released study on the tectonic........... [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 03 Sep 2017, 07:00
A newly released study on the tectonic plates forming the Pacific basin indicates that by the time they had shifted even a few miles, a vast percentage of the coastline which is currently home to major world cities, because of global warming, will have already become entirely submerged.

1. by the time they had shifted even a few miles, a vast percentage of the coastline which is currently home to major world cities, because of global warming, will have already become entirely submerged
2. by the time they shift even a few miles, a vast percentage of the coastline, which is currently a home of the major world cities, will have already become entirely submerged due to global warming
3. by the time they have shifted even a few miles, a vast percentage of the coastline currently home to major world cities already will have become entirely submerged because of global warming
4. a vast percentage of the coastline that is currently home to major world cities will have already become entirely submerged due to global warming by the time they have shifted even a few miles
5. a vast percentage of the coastline that is currently home to major world cities, by the time the plates have shifted even a few miles, will become entirely submerged because of global warming

The OA is C. How is the tense form of the OA correct? .......by the time they have shifted does not connect with the .........will have become........For instance the correct form of future perfect tense is -Jack will have finished his homework by the time his mother gets home. Isn't it?

Plzzzzzz help!!!!

Last edited by broall on 03 Sep 2017, 08:58, edited 1 time in total.
Merged topic. Please search before posting question.

CR Forum Moderator
P

Kudos [?]: 212 [0], given: 196

GMAT ToolKit User CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 09 Oct 2017, 21:48
daagh wrote:
'Already' in the second part modifies the verb 'will have become'.

I may be stupid to understand this issue. I beg your pardon.

According to google search the term 'already' means 'before or by now or the time in question'. From this we may deduce that already can not modify future event.

'Will have become' is a future event. So, how can already modify 'Will have become'?

Hasan Mahmud

BSchool Forum Moderator
G

Kudos [?]: 86 [0], given: 46

GMAT 1: 660 Q44 V38
GMAT 2: 690 Q46 V40
GPA: 3.9
WE: Information Technology (Consumer Products)
Premium Member CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 11 Oct 2017, 21:10
GMATNinja -Charles, is there an easy way to memorize and figure out difference between due to and because of.
Everytime i see it in a sentence i cannot really tell which one should be used.
Thanks

My MBA Journey - https://smalldoubledouble.com

Kudos [?]: 86 [0], given: 46

Expert Post
Manhattan Prep Instructor
S

Kudos [?]: 1259 [0], given: 30

Show Tags

New post 31 Oct 2017, 13:38
Mahmud6, check out the last part of that definition: "or the time in question." The word "already" means that something has happened by whatever time we are talking about. So if that time is in the future, it just has to have happened before that future point.

Examples:
By the time I finish reading this book, the sequel will already have come out.
By the time the sun goes supernova, you and I will already be gone.

Dmitry Farber | Manhattan GMAT Instructor | New York

Manhattan GMAT Discount | Manhattan GMAT Course Reviews | View Instructor Profile |
Manhattan GMAT Reviews

Kudos [?]: 1259 [0], given: 30

CR Forum Moderator
P

GMAT ToolKit User CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 31 Oct 2017, 23:37
DmitryFarber wrote:
Mahmud6, check out the last part of that definition: "or the time in question." The word "already" means that something has happened by whatever time we are talking about. So if that time is in the future, it just has to have happened before that future point.

Examples:
By the time I finish reading this book, the sequel will already have come out.
By the time the sun goes supernova, you and I will already be gone.

Nice explanation.
Now, I've got the meaning. Your above two examples are superb in understanding the concept of using 'already' with 'will'.
Thanks.

Hasan Mahmud

Director
Director
P

Kudos [?]: 160 [0], given: 138

Show Tags

New post 02 Nov 2017, 14:19

1. by the time they had shifted even a few miles, a vast percentage of the coastline which is currently home to major world cities, because of global warming, will have already become entirely submerged -"had" is wrongly used. A comma is required before which.
2. by the time they shift even a few miles, a vast percentage of the coastline, which is currently a home of the major world cities, will have already become entirely submerged due to global warming -due to is wrongly used.
3. by the time they have shifted even a few miles, a vast percentage of the coastline currently home to major world cities already will have become entirely submerged because of global warming -Correct
4. a vast percentage of the coastline that is currently home to major world cities will have already become entirely submerged due to global warming by the time they have shifted even a few miles -"they" is misplaced pronoun. It might refer back to either cities or plates.
5. a vast percentage of the coastline that is currently home to major world cities, by the time the plates have shifted even a few miles, will become entirely submerged because of global warming -meaning change. information regarding "plates" appears to be unnecessary.

Kudos if my post helps!

Helpful links:
1. e-GMAT's ALL SC Compilation
2. LSAT RC compilation
3. Actual LSAT CR collection by Broal
4. QOTD RC (Carcass)
5. Challange OG RC

Kudos [?]: 160 [0], given: 138

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 32

Concentration: Marketing, Human Resources
WE: Sales (Manufacturing)
CAT Tests
A newly released study on the tectonic plates forming the Pacific [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Nov 2017, 19:31
Confused b/w option B and C.

b. by the time they shift even a few miles, a vast percentage of the coastline, which is currently a home of the major world cities, will have already become entirely submerged due to global warming
c. by the time they have shifted even a few miles, a vast percentage of the coastline currently home to major world cities already will have become entirely submerged because of global warming

In option B usage of "shift" will have already become seems correct.
Usage "have shifted" will have become seems incorrect.

For e.g : By the time i buy a new car, my cousin will already have bought two new cars.
By the time I have bought a new car, my cousin will already have bought two new cars.

Will it also be correct to say?
By the time I will have bought a new car, my cousin will already have bought two new cars.

Experts Pl clarify.
Thnx.

Last edited by SAHILJPR on 30 Nov 2017, 19:18, edited 1 time in total.

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 32

VP
VP
S

Kudos [?]: 42 [0], given: 1333

GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V33
GPA: 3.64
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 21 Nov 2017, 19:40
Having read all opinion posts within this question post, I still struggle to comprehend the solution.
C is the best, but I also think E is correct.
What is the correct way to proceed with this question? What is the pattern here?

VP
VP
S

Show Tags

New post 21 Nov 2017, 19:42
valardohaeris wrote:
B IMO.
A- wrong tense..by the time they had shifted ....and will have already become...
C- wrong tense , should be simple future. They have shifted indicates- present perfect
D -wrong tense. Doesn't show proper timeline
E- again tense problem.

Can you please tell what's the OA??

Sent from my iPad using GMAT Club Forum

I think this question focuses on the first condition; the content is about an event that might happen in the future.

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 4 [1], given: 139

CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 21 Nov 2017, 21:54
This post received
KUDOS
GMATNinja wrote:
rekhabishop wrote:
Isn't C a run on??

(C) definitely isn't a run-on. By definition, a run-on sentence consists of two independent clauses that aren't appropriately separated by punctuation or a conjunction.

In (C), the sentence begins with an independent clause: "A newly released study on the tectonic plates forming the Pacific basin indicates..." The rest of the sentence is a subordinate clause, beginning with the word "that": "...that by the time they have shifted even a few miles, a vast percentage of the coastline currently home to major world cities already will have become entirely submerged because of global warming."

So grammatically speaking, this is completely fine: just an independent clause with a long subordinate clause.

Check out the excellent explanations by daagh and akshayk above. If you still have specific questions after that, let us know!

Hi GmatNinja,
Sorry for troubling you. I will be obliged if you can help me to understand why option E is wrong. I got why option C is correct, but is having a difficulty to eliminate option E.
E) a vast percentage of the coastline that is currently home to major world cities, by the time the plates have shifted even a few miles, will become entirely submerged because of global warming
here cities will become submerged and not plates as, by the time the plates have shifted even a few miles, are set of by commas, so this looks like non-essential modifier. now, the plates will modify the previous clause- a vast percentage of the coastline that is currently home to major world cities. Plates cant modify the next clause- will become entirely submerged because of global warming because then the clause a vast percentage of the coastline that is currently home to major world cities will modify what? both plates and cities cant modify the same thing- will become entirely submerged because of global warming.
The only reason I find option E to eliminate is that by the time the plates have shifted even a few miles needs to be part of the main sentence and not as a non-essential modifier.
Please help.

Kudos [?]: 4 [1], given: 139

VP
VP
S

Show Tags

New post 22 Nov 2017, 16:10
sunny91 wrote:
GMATNinja wrote:
rekhabishop wrote:
Isn't C a run on??

Hi GmatNinja,
Sorry for troubling you. I will be obliged if you can help me to understand why option E is wrong. I got why option C is correct, but is having a difficulty to eliminate option E.
E) a vast percentage of the coastline that is currently home to major world cities, by the time the plates have shifted even a few miles, will become entirely submerged because of global warming
here cities will become submerged and not plates as, by the time the plates have shifted even a few miles, are set of by commas, so this looks like non-essential modifier. now, the plates will modify the previous clause- a vast percentage of the coastline that is currently home to major world cities. Plates cant modify the next clause- will become entirely submerged because of global warming because then the clause a vast percentage of the coastline that is currently home to major world cities will modify what? both plates and cities cant modify the same thing- will become entirely submerged because of global warming.
The only reason I find option E to eliminate is that by the time the plates have shifted even a few miles needs to be part of the main sentence and not as a non-essential modifier.
Please help.

I agree with you. You post is quite long, but the last sentence is catchy. In other words, the modifier is essential => eliminate E.

Also, I find that E uses "that is"; this is unnecessary.

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Verbal Expert
S

Kudos [?]: 3620 [1], given: 22

Schools: HHL Leipzig
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE: Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 28 Nov 2017, 07:13
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
sunny91 wrote:
GMATNinja wrote:
rekhabishop wrote:
Isn't C a run on??

Hi GmatNinja,
Please help.

Use of future perfect is necessary in this case.

First consider the use of past perfect: When there are references of two interrelated past events (verbs or time references), then the former event should be in past perfect.

By year 2000, I had completed my studies.... correct. (past perfect)
By year 2000, I completed my studies... wrong. (simple past)
In year 1999, I completed my studies.... correct. (simple past)

(Here note that the latter event may not necessarily be a verb and can merely be a time reference , e.g. year 2000 in the above example).

Now with the above idea in mind, examine option E.
By year 2075, the coastline will have become submerged.. correct (future perfect)
By year 2075, the coastline will become submerged.... wrong. (simple future).
In year 2074, the coastline will become submerged.. correct (simple future).

Now you would see why simple future in option E is wrong and future perfect in option C is correct.

Kudos [?]: 3620 [1], given: 22

Re: A newly released study on the tectonic plates forming the Pacific   [#permalink] 28 Nov 2017, 07:13

Go to page   Previous    1   2   [ 38 posts ] 

A newly released study on the tectonic plates forming the Pacific

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap