GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 24 Aug 2019, 13:36

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

A number w with two digits to the right

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Find Similar Topics 
Manager
Manager
S
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
GPA: 3.93
WE: Corporate Finance (Investment Banking)
Premium Member
A number w with two digits to the right  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 Aug 2019, 11:55
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

85% (hard)

Question Stats:

30% (01:57) correct 70% (01:37) wrong based on 37 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

A number w with two digits to the right of the decimal point is multiplied by the number n. How many decimal places are there in the product w·n?

1. The number n has three digits to the right of the decimal point.
2. Neither the hundredths digit in w nor the thousandths digit in n is a multiple of 10.

Source: McGraw Conquering GMAT, page 174, question 8
GMAT Tutor
G
Re: A number w with two digits to the right  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 Aug 2019, 11:49
If you take a number with three digits after the decimal, and multiply it by a number with two digits after the decimal, all kinds of things can happen. You might multiply 8/25 = 0.32 by 25/8 = 3.125. Then the product is 1, and you have zero digits after the decimal. Or you might multiply 1/100 = 0.01 by 1/1000 = 0.001, and get 0.00001, and have five digits after the decimal, among other possibilities. Those examples both use both statements, so the answer is E.

Based on how they've written Statement 2 (which only says "the last digit after the decimal point in each of w and n is nonzero", since zero is the only digit that can be a multiple of ten), and based on the fact that "C" is their OA, I'm guessing they're trying to count zeros at the end of a decimal as if they're genuine digits. But that's mathematically nonsensical. The only way it even makes sense to talk about how many digits a number has after a decimal is if you ignore any zeros at the end, or else there's an infinite number of possible answers depending on how many zeros you decide to write down. The number 1.600 does not have three digits after the decimal, because if it does, it also has twenty-five if you choose to write it like this: 1.6000000000000000000000000. That number has one digit after the decimal, because it is the number 1.6.

If you are looking for online GMAT math tutoring, or if you are interested in buying my advanced Quant books and problem sets, please contact me at ianstewartgmat at gmail.com
Manager
Manager
S
Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 09 Aug 2019, 12:42
Thank you for the reply. I would post the official answer here, frankly the book does not offer one. It merely states the answer choice.

I was quite puzzled by the second statement as well. Even if we assume the answer choice is C, I wonder how can we arrive at the precise answer.
GMAT Tutor
G

Show Tags

New post 10 Aug 2019, 06:43
Xin Cho wrote:
I was quite puzzled by the second statement as well. Even if we assume the answer choice is C, I wonder how can we arrive at the precise answer.

I thought about that too - I wondered what (incorrect) assumptions they might be making about how math works that could lead them to think C is the right answer here. At first I thought they must be counting any zeros at the end of the product wn (when you do long multiplication using the decimals w and n) as if they were genuine digits. But then there'd be no reason Statement 2 would be relevant; the answer would be A in that case.

I'd be wary about using a source with a question like this, and especially wary about using a source with no answer explanations.

If you are looking for online GMAT math tutoring, or if you are interested in buying my advanced Quant books and problem sets, please contact me at ianstewartgmat at gmail.com
Manager
Manager
S
Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 10 Aug 2019, 06:54
Thank you very much for the reply. I really appreciate it.

For most questions, there actually are answers. Frankly, not for this one. Given that McGraw seems to be one of the general providers, I was hoping most of the prompts would be reliable. I had a similar negative experience with Nova's GMAT prep course (book). Thus, it seems to me that unless it is an official material there are bound to be mistakes. Though some sources are more prone than others. Thus, I try to use 3rd party materials rather as a supplement than a core material.
Manager
Manager
S
GMAT 1: 580 Q43 V27
WE: Sales (Energy and Utilities)

Show Tags

New post 10 Aug 2019, 07:28
Xin Cho wrote:
A number w with two digits to the right of the decimal point is multiplied by the number n. How many decimal places are there in the product w·n?

1. The number n has three digits to the right of the decimal point.
2. Neither the hundredths digit in w nor the thousandths digit in n is a multiple of 10.

Source: McGraw Conquering GMAT, page 174, question 8

I marked Answer (E).
Here's my reasoning.

Question gives 'w' as number with two digits to the right of decimal. It can be anything.

Statement 1) Number 'n' has three digits to the right of decimal. If 'w' has odd digits at the extreme right in the digits after decimal and 'n' has any digit other than '0' at the extreme right in the digits after decimal, the decimal places obtained for number 'w*n' are five OR if 'w' has even digits(excluding '0') at the extreme right in the digits after decimal and 'n' has '5' as last digit at the extreme right after decimal the decimal places obtained for number 'w*n' are less than five. INSUFFICIENT.

Statement 2) 'w' has hundredths digit as a non-multiple of 10 i.e. it can be anything other than '0'. AND 'n' has its thousandths digit as a non-multiple of 10 i.e. it can be anything other than '0' but we don't know how many digits are there after decimal in number 'n'. Thus it can have various answer so
INSUFFICIENT.

Together 1) and 2) we know that 'n' has three digits after decimals and third digit is non-multiple of '10' i.e. it can be anything other than '0'. But we don't know the extreme right digit of the number 'w' since if its '2' and number 'n' has third digit as '5' then number 'w*n' would have different decimal places than if 'w' has third digit other than '2' and 'n' has third digit other then '5'.
INSUFFICIENT.

GMATPREP1 590(Q48,V23) March 6, 2019
GMATPREP2 610(Q44,V29) June 10, 2019
GMATPREPSoft1 680(Q48,V35) June 26, 2019
GMAT Tutor
G

Show Tags

New post 10 Aug 2019, 07:51
It occurs to me now that they probably want Statement 2 to say that the final digits of n and w are not divisors of 10, rather than "multiples".

Xin Cho wrote:
Thus, it seems to me that unless it is an official material there are bound to be mistakes.

Any large book is likely to contain a minor error or two (I've found mistakes in official books too), but there's a difference between a typo that doesn't affect how well you understand the content and a fundamental mathematical error. My books don't contain any mathematical errors (nor any typos I'm aware of), and that is hopefully also true of the books from the most reputable GMAT publishers. You'll find the most realistic practice questions in official books, so relying on them for problems is a good idea, but the official books generally don't do a good job of explain concepts or methods, so you will likely find it worthwhile to find books that do that well.

GMAT Club Bot
Re: A number w with two digits to the right   [#permalink] 10 Aug 2019, 07:51

A number w with two digits to the right

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics