GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 18 Mar 2019, 16:50

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

A parallelogram is drawn in the xy-coordinate plane. Is the parallelog

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Manager
Manager
S
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
GPA: 3.9
WE: Analyst (Energy and Utilities)
CAT Tests
A parallelogram is drawn in the xy-coordinate plane. Is the parallelog  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 Feb 2015, 16:11
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

75% (hard)

Question Stats:

46% (01:29) correct 54% (01:38) wrong based on 191 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

A parallelogram is drawn in the xy-coordinate plane. Is the parallelogram's area, in square units, an integer?

(1) The x- and y-coordinates of each of the parallelogram's four vertices are integers.

(2) The parallelogram has four sides of equal length.
Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: 500 Q36 V23
Re: A parallelogram is drawn in the xy-coordinate plane. Is the parallelog  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 Feb 2015, 16:59
Question: A=b*h, where b is the base and h is the height.

(1) Sufficient. Draw a parallelogram in the xy-coordinate plane and you see that if all of the vertices of the parallelogram have integer coordinates, then the coordinates of the height will be integers as well. That is, the point of one end of the height will have the same coordinates as one of the vertices, hence, integers. And the point of the other end the height (where it meets the base) will have the same x-coordinate as one of the vertices and the y-coordante that will be the same as the y-coordinate of the other vertex. When you'll be calculating the length of the height (h), you care only about its y-coordinates (which are integers). The difference of two integers will give you an integer (h). The length of the base will be an integer too. Area= integer*integer= integer.
(2) Insufficient. The lengths of the height and base could be anything.
Director
Director
P
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V40
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Re: A parallelogram is drawn in the xy-coordinate plane. Is the parallelog  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 17 Dec 2016, 09:03
santorasantu wrote:
A parallelogram is drawn in the xy-coordinate plane. Is the parallelogram's area, in square units, an integer?

(1) The x- and y-coordinates of each of the parallelogram's four vertices are integers.

Please give me a shortcut to solve this within 2 minutes

I didn't get how statement 1 is sufficient? Can you please help me to grasp it,expert?
Thank you...

“The heights by great men reached and kept were not attained in sudden flight but, they while their companions slept, they were toiling upwards in the night.”
― Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

Director
Director
D

Show Tags

New post 17 Dec 2016, 20:01
iMyself wrote:
santorasantu wrote:

I didn't get how statement 1 is sufficient? Can you please help me to grasp it,expert?
Thank you...

iMyself

try drawing any parallelogram having integer coordinates

(2,3) (3,8) (6,8) (5,3)
here H=5 and B=3
Area=5*3=15 integer...thus suff...for any integer coordinates

whereas in statement 2 ,if cordinates are fractions then we get either H or B or both values in fraction
leading to any integer/fraction values..hence insuff..

Ans A
Director
Director
P
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V40
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 26 Mar 2017, 04:45
rohit8865 wrote:
iMyself wrote:
santorasantu wrote:

Thank you...

iMyself

try drawing any parallelogram having integer coordinates

(2,3) (3,8) (6,8) (5,3)
here H=5 and B=3
Area=5*3=15 integer...thus suff...for any integer coordinates

whereas in statement 2 ,if cordinates are fractions then we get either H or B or both values in fraction
leading to any integer/fraction values..hence insuff..

Ans A

:) This question is from Manhattan GMAT challenge question, so I thought it will be difficult to make the solution and I scared about it. But, this question is more easier, i think. It may take just 30 seconds to solve this problem. Anyway Thank you rohit8865. Goodluck man...

“The heights by great men reached and kept were not attained in sudden flight but, they while their companions slept, they were toiling upwards in the night.”
― Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

Manager
Manager
S
Concentration: Finance, Operations
GMAT 1: 530 Q45 V20
GPA: 3.91
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)

Show Tags

New post 26 Mar 2017, 13:00
Hi,

Even if all the vertices of a parallelogram are integers, the parallelogram might be tilted on XY plane and in that case the lengths of height and base might be fractions. You can try with a rectangle since it is a parallelogram on XY plane. So I guess the ans should be E.
RC Moderator
D
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Operations
GMAT 1: 630 Q48 V28
GMAT 2: 540 Q49 V16
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 01 May 2018, 10:10
Bunuel .... could you pls help on this

Please let me know if I am going in wrong direction.
Thanks in appreciation.

Intern
Intern
B
GMAT 1: 650 Q49 V31

Show Tags

New post 19 Nov 2018, 10:04
The area of a parallelogram is base multiplied by height that is base * height. If the x coordinates and y coordinates are integers then the multiplication of the base (an integer) and height (an integer) will result in an integer. Hence A is sufficient.

From B we do not know if the base and height are integers or not. Hence, the multiplication of base and height may or may not result in an integer.
Intern
Intern
B
GPA: 3.22
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 05 Mar 2019, 04:39
anant327 wrote:
The area of a parallelogram is base multiplied by height that is base * height. If the x coordinates and y coordinates are integers then the multiplication of the base (an integer) and height (an integer) will result in an integer. Hence A is sufficient.

From B we do not know if the base and height are integers or not. Hence, the multiplication of base and height may or may not result in an integer.

even if the base and height coordinates are integers..........base and height lengths may or may not be integers.......Try tilting the parallelogram in the XY plane..........

Thoughts on this Bunuel
Manager
Manager
S
GMAT 1: 490 Q47 V13
GPA: 3.6

Show Tags

New post 09 Mar 2019, 06:21
Can anyone explain with diagram?
Intern
Intern
B
GMAT 1: 650 Q49 V31

Show Tags

New post 18 Mar 2019, 09:05
avikroy wrote:
anant327 wrote:

even if the base and height coordinates are integers..........base and height lengths may or may not be integers.......Try tilting the parallelogram in the XY plane..........

Thoughts on this Bunuel

Can you please tell me an example of 4 coordinates which has integer x and y coorfinates but has a decimal length ?

Posted from my mobile device
GMAT Club Bot
Re: A parallelogram is drawn in the xy-coordinate plane. Is the parallelog   [#permalink] 18 Mar 2019, 09:05

A parallelogram is drawn in the xy-coordinate plane. Is the parallelog

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap