GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 07 Dec 2019, 14:47

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

A penny for your thoughts - ISB vs NUS?

new topic post reply Update application status  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

ISB   NUS   
Find Similar Topics 
Intern
Intern
A penny for your thoughts - ISB vs NUS?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Jan 2017, 04:44
Hi Everyone,

I could really use a little bit of help in figuring out which school would be better to join. I'm an Indian national and I have 8 years in technology and I want to remain in the tech industry post MBA. I'm open to the type or role or function as long as the industry stays the same. I have admits from 2 schools at the moment - NUS in Singapore and ISB in India. Both are comparably ranked and both are very strong brands in their respective regions. I've worked in India most of my career but I've had short stints in the West as well. Ideally, I'd like to experience the Asia Pacific (Singapore preferably) region after my MBA but then there is an inherent risk with Singapore because of the stricter immigration laws.

Each school has it's pros and cons but I'd like to get your opinions on which school would be better for me in the long run. If you could please pitch in with your thoughts, it would really go a long way in helping me make my decision.

Thank you to you all in advance.
Current Student
B
Re: A penny for your thoughts - ISB vs NUS?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 Jan 2017, 00:02
Needadviceplease wrote:
Hi Everyone,

I could really use a little bit of help in figuring out which school would be better to join. I'm an Indian national and I have 8 years in technology and I want to remain in the tech industry post MBA. I'm open to the type or role or function as long as the industry stays the same. I have admits from 2 schools at the moment - NUS in Singapore and ISB in India. Both are comparably ranked and both are very strong brands in their respective regions. I've worked in India most of my career but I've had short stints in the West as well. Ideally, I'd like to experience the Asia Pacific (Singapore preferably) region after my MBA but then there is an inherent risk with Singapore because of the stricter immigration laws.

Each school has it's pros and cons but I'd like to get your opinions on which school would be better for me in the long run. If you could please pitch in with your thoughts, it would really go a long way in helping me make my decision.

If you are looking for a study abroad experience and looking to build global perspective then NUS is better.
ISB is very Indian. A very very few number of internationals. Plus it is a Post graduate certificate program. They are not giving MBA degrees. That sort of concerns me a little, especially if you are looking to use your ISB education to apply for jobs abroad. ISB is good if you want immediate placement while in college itself. (I heard they are taking in 1000 candidates this year, I do not know how tough placements might get).
In the Long run, if you wanna live in India, then choose ISB. You can still pursue an MBA from another university at a later stage if you go to ISB now.
If you wish to have a career abroad, go for NUS. Their brand is quite strong in Asia Pacific. And with your experience and NUS MBA, you can still find good jobs in India. Check LinkedIn. Many Indian NUS MBA grads have found good positions in the tech industry in India.
Manager
Manager
S
Concentration: Operations, General Management
GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V40
GPA: 3.4
WE: Manufacturing and Production (Manufacturing)
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 09 Feb 2017, 22:19
I did my MS from NUS and I presently worked in Singapore. I didn't applied to NUS and I'm almost fixated on joining ISB.
Every1 has different reasons and preferences. Make a decision based on that. Also think long-term, not just about your MBA experience or post-MBA job. PM me if you need more info on NUS.
Thanks...
Manager
Manager
G

Show Tags

New post 03 Jul 2017, 04:54
Hi Needadviceplease,

I saw your message really late and am not sure if I am adding value to you by responding to this thread.

My suggestion:

This is not a NUS Vs. ISB decision. It is about where you want to live in this world. IF you have not explored Singapore yet, I will encourage you to go and spend a week there. And I am suggesting this to everyone- before paying hundreds of thousands of Dollars to b-Schools across the world, travel and spend time in your campuses.

A B-school investment is a lot for most of us. If you are confused whom to marry, spend time with them. Go and See them ! :)

As suggested by others in this thread, ISB will have a lot of equity in the Indian markets. This school has been creating MBA's for a long time now. That essentially means ISB will have a lot of representation in the Top leadership of most of your target firms. Similarly, if you want to live in Singapore, NUS will carry more weight.

You need to decide the country you want to be in.

And hey- NUS and ISB are the Local Gods in both the countries. There is a very strong chance that you will do well in both the scenarios depending on the country you want to live in for the next 4 to 5 years.

Jatin Bhandari

PythaGURUS MBA Consulting
http://www.pythagurus.in
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 10 Feb 2019, 03:51
Rohit6 wrote:
I did my MS from NUS and I presently worked in Singapore. I didn't applied to NUS and I'm almost fixated on joining ISB.
Every1 has different reasons and preferences. Make a decision based on that. Also think long-term, not just about your MBA experience or post-MBA job. PM me if you need more info on NUS.
Thanks...

Posted from my mobile device
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
GMAT 1: 620 Q48 V28
GMAT 2: 690 Q49 V35
WE: Sales (Consumer Products)
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 10 Feb 2019, 07:25
IF you want to work in Singapore then go to NUS.
Even if it didn't work out then you can still come back to india as NUS is valued here too. I am not sure what will be the chances of getting palced in singapore or abroad after Post graduate Diploma from ISB. I believe experience at NUS MBA will be a good one than to ISB (I am talking about diversity of the student body and class size)

Needadviceplease wrote:
Hi Everyone,

Intern
B
Concentration: Strategy, International Business
GPA: 3.42

Show Tags

New post 14 Feb 2019, 02:47
definatly NUS
GMAT Club Bot
Re: A penny for your thoughts - ISB vs NUS?   [#permalink] 14 Feb 2019, 02:47

A penny for your thoughts - ISB vs NUS?