It is currently 21 Oct 2017, 14:37

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

A plant manager must assign 10 new workers to one of five shifts. She

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Expert Post
Math Expert
V

Kudos [?]: 129158 [0], given: 12194

A plant manager must assign 10 new workers to one of five shifts. She [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 Aug 2015, 23:28
Expert's post
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

85% (hard)

Question Stats:

40% (02:12) correct 60% (02:43) wrong based on 82 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

A plant manager must assign 10 new workers to one of five shifts. She needs a first, second, and third shift, and two alternate shifts. Each of the shifts will receive 2 new workers. How many different ways can she assign the new workers?

A. 2430
B. 2700
C. 3300
D. 4860
E. 5400

Kudos for a correct solution.
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

New to the Math Forum?
Please read this: Ultimate GMAT Quantitative Megathread | All You Need for Quant | PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 12 Rules for Posting!!!

Resources:
GMAT Math Book | Triangles | Polygons | Coordinate Geometry | Factorials | Circles | Number Theory | Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets | PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders | GMAT Prep Software Analysis | SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) | Tricky questions from previous years.

Collection of Questions:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.

What are GMAT Club Tests?
Extra-hard Quant Tests with Brilliant Analytics

2 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 104 [2], given: 24

Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
WE: Marketing (Other)
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: A plant manager must assign 10 new workers to one of five shifts. She [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 Aug 2015, 23:53
This post received
KUDOS
Bunuel wrote:
A plant manager must assign 10 new workers to one of five shifts. She needs a first, second, and third shift, and two alternate shifts. Each of the shifts will receive 2 new workers. How many different ways can she assign the new workers?

A. 2430
B. 2700
C. 3300
D. 4860
E. 5400

I do not even understand the question...
five shifts and she has 10 workers to assign. She needs first, second and third, and two alternate... what does this line means??
is it means that we need to assign two workers to these shifts or team of two? i am going with the later one.

whatever : my take selecting team of 2 out of 10 to assign to the shifts = 10C2 = 45 ways.

now 2 out of 10 means total of 5 group possible.
so putting them in shifts = counting methode: first, second, third, alt , alt
= 5*4*3*2*1 = 120
here alt and alt are the same: so 120/2 = 60 ways.

total ways of selecting = (selecting 2 out of 10)*arranging those teams in shifts
= 45*60 = 2700

Ans: B

--------------------------------------------------------------------
The Mind is Everything, What we Think we Become.
Kudos will encourage many others, like me.
Please Give Kudos Image !!

Kudos [?]: 104 [2], given: 24

Expert Post
Math Expert
V

Re: A plant manager must assign 10 new workers to one of five shifts. She [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Aug 2015, 11:20
Expert's post
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Bunuel wrote:

A. 2430
B. 2700
C. 3300
D. 4860
E. 5400

Kudos for a correct solution.

Economist GMAT Tutor Official Solution:

Let’s begin with our key question: Does order/position matter?

First, note that we don’t have any distinctions between positions on our teams of five. The team made up of Ann and Bob is the same team whether Ann or Bob is picked first, and so on.

Begin with the initial selection, 10 workers selected 2 at a time: 10C2. So, we have:

10!/(2!(10-2)!) = 45.

From our initial 45 possible shifts, we must assign workers to first, second, third, or alternate shift. Here is where order matters. Note, however, that no distinction is made between alternate shifts. So we have three possible assignments per team in which order matters: first, second, or third shift. This is a fairly straightforward permutation problem, but remember that even though you have 5 teams to choose from, only 3 choices matter in terms of order, so 5P3:

5!/(5-3)! = 60.

So, in the end, we have 45 possible team arrangements and 60 ways to select first, second, and third shifts from whichever arrangement is chosen. Our final step is to multiply these two values together to get our answer: 45 x 60 = 2700.

New to the Math Forum?
Please read this: Ultimate GMAT Quantitative Megathread | All You Need for Quant | PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 12 Rules for Posting!!!

Resources:
GMAT Math Book | Triangles | Polygons | Coordinate Geometry | Factorials | Circles | Number Theory | Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets | PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders | GMAT Prep Software Analysis | SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) | Tricky questions from previous years.

Collection of Questions:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.

What are GMAT Club Tests?
Extra-hard Quant Tests with Brilliant Analytics

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 24

Show Tags

New post 28 Dec 2015, 04:04
Am I right, that if there wouldn't be the constraint with the two indifferent alternative shifts, I would be able to apply the following formula?:
\(\frac{(nm)!}{(n!)^m * m!}\)

n = number of participants in one group
m = number of groups

Thank you very much in advance!

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 24

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 105

Show Tags

New post 15 May 2016, 20:37
the stem ihas ambiguity , what about 8 remaining new workers and 4 other remaining shifts, Or are we supposed to arrange only 2 new workers in any shift( as solution does)

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 105

GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend

Kudos [?]: 273 [0], given: 0

Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 27 Aug 2017, 12:41
Hello from the GMAT Club BumpBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.

GMAT Books | GMAT Club Tests | Best Prices on GMAT Courses | GMAT Mobile App | Math Resources | Verbal Resources

Kudos [?]: 273 [0], given: 0

Re: A plant manager must assign 10 new workers to one of five shifts. She   [#permalink] 27 Aug 2017, 12:41

A plant manager must assign 10 new workers to one of five shifts. She

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap