GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 12 Dec 2018, 16:19

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Events & Promotions in December
PrevNext
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
Open Detailed Calendar
  • The winning strategy for 700+ on the GMAT

December 13, 2018

December 13, 2018

08:00 AM PST

09:00 AM PST

What people who reach the high 700's do differently? We're going to share insights, tips and strategies from data we collected on over 50,000 students who used examPAL.
  • GMATbuster's Weekly GMAT Quant Quiz, Tomorrow, Saturday at 9 AM PST

December 14, 2018

December 14, 2018

09:00 AM PST

10:00 AM PST

10 Questions will be posted on the forum and we will post a reply in this Topic with a link to each question. There are prizes for the winners.

A politician can neither be reelected nor avoid censure by

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Manager
Manager
S
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GPA: 4
WE: Web Development (Computer Software)
Re: A politician can neither be reelected nor avoid censure by  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 Apr 2017, 02:09
A politician can neither be reelected nor avoid censure by his or her colleagues if that politician is
known to be involved in any serious scandals. Several prominent politicians have just now been
shown to be involved in a conspiracy that turned into a serious scandal. These politicians will therefore not be reelected.
If the statements above are all true, which one of the following statements must also be true?

(A) The prominent politicians cannot escape censure by their colleagues.
(B) If there had been no scandal, the prominent politicians would be reelected.
(C) No politician is censured unless he or she is known to be involved in a serious scandal.
(D) The prominent politicians initially benefited from the conspiracy that caused the scandal.
(E) Some politicians who are involved in scandalous conspiracies avoid detection and
censure

answer is A
BSchool Forum Moderator
V
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V41
GPA: 4

Show Tags

New post 24 Apr 2017, 13:06
GMATNinjaTwo wrote:
gmatexam439,
Quote:
I doubt the OA because the first statement itself says explicitly "Serious Scandal" and not just "Scandal". Therefore, it means a politician involved in a small scandal can be reelected while only those involved in "serious" ones can not be reelected. Option "A" clearly doesn't take into account "Serious Scandals".

Also statement is an exaggerated statement because it takes into account "ALL" prominent politicians while the second statement says "several" (which is not equal to all). Also the conclusion says "THESE" that means those prominent politicians which are involved in serious scandals and not ALL.

I seriously doubt OA is correct. Experts please clarify.

Quote:

I understand the confusion, but choice A does not say that ALL prominent politicians cannot escape censure by their colleagues; rather, choice A states that "the prominent politicians cannot escape censure by their colleagues." This refers only to the prominent politicians who "have just now been shown to be involved in a conspiracy that turned into a serious scandal." And since these specific prominent politicians were in fact involved in a serious scandal, we can conclude that they will neither be reelected nor avoid censure.

Thank you sir for the clarification !!

Kudos if my post helps!

Long And A Fruitful Journey - V21 to V41; If I can, So Can You!!
Preparing for RC my way
RC Summary Activity - New Project to imporve RC Skills
Bloomberg's US Bschool Ranking

My study resources:
1. Useful Formulae, Concepts and Tricks-Quant | 2. e-GMAT's ALL SC Compilation | 3. LSAT RC compilation | 4. Actual LSAT CR collection by Broal | 5. QOTD RC (Carcass) | 6. Challange OG RC | 7. GMAT Prep Challenge RC

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
S
Concentration: Finance, Marketing

Show Tags

New post 03 Sep 2017, 23:06
Postal wrote:
A politician can neither be reelected nor avoid censure by his or her colleagues if that politician is
known to be involved in any serious scandals. Several prominent politicians have just now been
shown to be involved in a conspiracy that turned into a serious scandal. These politicians will therefore not be reelected.
If the statements above are all true, which one of the following statements must also be true?

(C) No politician is censured unless he or she is known to be involved in a serious scandal.
(D) The prominent politicians initially benefited from the conspiracy that caused the scandal.
(E) Some politicians who are involved in scandalous conspiracies avoid detection and
censure

why SEVERAL = ALL in this case.
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
S

Show Tags

New post 04 Sep 2017, 05:33
abrakadabra21 wrote:
why SEVERAL = ALL in this case.

See if this post helps: https://gmatclub.com/forum/a-politician ... l#p1841398

www.gmatninja.com

Manager
Manager
B
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V35
GPA: 3
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 25 Sep 2017, 21:24
GMATNinjaTwo wrote:
gmatexam439,
Quote:
I doubt the OA because the first statement itself says explicitly "Serious Scandal" and not just "Scandal". Therefore, it means a politician involved in a small scandal can be reelected while only those involved in "serious" ones can not be reelected. Option "A" clearly doesn't take into account "Serious Scandals".

Also statement is an exaggerated statement because it takes into account "ALL" prominent politicians while the second statement says "several" (which is not equal to all). Also the conclusion says "THESE" that means those prominent politicians which are involved in serious scandals and not ALL.

I seriously doubt OA is correct. Experts please clarify.

Quote:

I understand the confusion, but choice A does not say that ALL prominent politicians cannot escape censure by their colleagues; rather, choice A states that "the prominent politicians cannot escape censure by their colleagues." This refers only to the prominent politicians who "have just now been shown to be involved in a conspiracy that turned into a serious scandal." And since these specific prominent politicians were in fact involved in a serious scandal, we can conclude that they will neither be reelected nor avoid censure.

I have got the same question pondering in my head. Can you please clarify if the rule applies to GMAT CR all across ??

The question stem says "These politicians will not be re-elected." Option Says "they cannot escape censure by their colleagues" . Can we infer this ?

Find what you love and let it kill you. — Charles Bukowski

Manager
Manager
B
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V35
GPA: 3
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 25 Sep 2017, 21:26
I have got the same question pondering in my head. Can you please clarify if the rule applies to GMAT CR all across ?? I meant the prominent politicians refers to the politicians mentioned in the question stem.

The question stem says "These politicians will not be re-elected." Option Says "they cannot escape censure by their colleagues" . Can we infer this ? I felt option E does the better job.

Find what you love and let it kill you. — Charles Bukowski

GMAT Club Verbal Expert
P
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

Show Tags

New post 29 Sep 2017, 14:38
sumanainampudi wrote:
I have got the same question pondering in my head. Can you please clarify if the rule applies to GMAT CR all across ?? I meant the prominent politicians refers to the politicians mentioned in the question stem.

The question stem says "These politicians will not be re-elected." Option Says "they cannot escape censure by their colleagues" . Can we infer this ? I felt option E does the better job.

Quote:

Consider the following example: "Several Germans, Australians, and Americans meet at a hostel in Chile. The Australians are funnier than the Americans." - Does this mean that Australians, in general, are funnier than Americans? Of course not (even though, in this case, it's likely true!)... From the context, we know that the second sentence refers to specific Americans and Australians who are meeting at a hostel in Chile, not Americans and Australians in general.

However, if we remove the article "the" before Australians and Americans in the second sentence, we change the meaning: "Several Germans, Australians, and Americans meet at a hostel in Chile. Australians are funnier than Americans." In this case, the second sentence is a general statement about Americans and Australians rather than a statement about the specific Americans and Australians who are meeting at the hostel.

The same applies to this passage. If the author wanted to refer to prominent politicians in general, the article "The" would not have been used: "Prominent politicians cannot escape censure by their colleagues." There is no "rule" to learn here; rather, you have to think about the meaning and significance of the author's word choice.

Quote:
(E) Some politicians who are involved in scandalous conspiracies avoid detection and censure

As for choice (E), we are told that "A politician can neither be reelected nor avoid censure by his or her colleagues if that politician is known to be involved in any serious scandals." So we are given a SUFFICIENT condition: if a politician is known to be involved in any serious scandals, then that politician can neither be reelected nor avoid censure by his/her colleagues.

Choice (E) says, "...well, it's possible that a politician can be involved in a scandal and avoid censure." This goes against the sufficient condition given in the passage, unless you make the argument that a "scandalous conspiracy" is not necessarily a "serious scandal." Still, there is certainly not enough information in the passage to definitively conclude that some politicians can avoid detection and avoid censure if they are involved in a scandalous conspiracy. To say that choice (E) might be true is a stretch, but we definitely cannot say that it must be true.

GMAT Club Verbal Expert | GMAT/GRE tutor @ www.gmatninja.com (Now hiring!) | Instagram | Food blog | Notoriously bad at PMs

Beginners' guides to GMAT verbal
Reading Comprehension | Critical Reasoning | Sentence Correction

YouTube LIVE verbal webinars
Series 1: Fundamentals of SC & CR | Series 2: Developing a Winning GMAT Mindset

SC & CR Questions of the Day (QOTDs), featuring expert explanations
All QOTDs | Subscribe via email | RSS

Need an expert reply?
Hit the request verbal experts' reply button -- and please be specific about your question. Feel free to tag @GMATNinja in your post. Priority is always given to official GMAT questions.

Sentence Correction articles & resources
How to go from great (760) to incredible (780) on GMAT SC | That "-ing" Word Probably Isn't a Verb | That "-ed" Word Might Not Be a Verb, Either | No-BS Guide to GMAT Idioms | "Being" is not the enemy | WTF is "that" doing in my sentence?

Reading Comprehension, Critical Reasoning, and other articles & resources
All GMAT Ninja articles on GMAT Club | Using LSAT for GMAT CR & RC |7 reasons why your actual GMAT scores don't match your practice test scores | How to get 4 additional "fake" GMAT Prep tests for $29.99 | Time management on verbal

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 29 Sep 2017, 17:19
How could A be the correct answer . It suggests that all prominent politicians will face censure..
In my opinion C is the right answer
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
P
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

Show Tags

New post 14 Oct 2017, 08:12
vishnupandey09 wrote:
How could A be the correct answer . It suggests that all prominent politicians will face censure..
In my opinion C is the right answer

Choice (A) does not suggest that ALL prominent politicians will face censure. It only suggests that THE prominent politicians referred to in the passage (those who "have just now been shown to be involved in a conspiracy that turned into a serious scandal") will face censure.

The following two posts address this point in detail:

GMAT Club Verbal Expert | GMAT/GRE tutor @ www.gmatninja.com (Now hiring!) | Instagram | Food blog | Notoriously bad at PMs

Beginners' guides to GMAT verbal
Reading Comprehension | Critical Reasoning | Sentence Correction

YouTube LIVE verbal webinars
Series 1: Fundamentals of SC & CR | Series 2: Developing a Winning GMAT Mindset

SC & CR Questions of the Day (QOTDs), featuring expert explanations
All QOTDs | Subscribe via email | RSS

Need an expert reply?
Hit the request verbal experts' reply button -- and please be specific about your question. Feel free to tag @GMATNinja in your post. Priority is always given to official GMAT questions.

Sentence Correction articles & resources
How to go from great (760) to incredible (780) on GMAT SC | That "-ing" Word Probably Isn't a Verb | That "-ed" Word Might Not Be a Verb, Either | No-BS Guide to GMAT Idioms | "Being" is not the enemy | WTF is "that" doing in my sentence?

Reading Comprehension, Critical Reasoning, and other articles & resources
All GMAT Ninja articles on GMAT Club | Using LSAT for GMAT CR & RC |7 reasons why your actual GMAT scores don't match your practice test scores | How to get 4 additional "fake" GMAT Prep tests for $29.99 | Time management on verbal

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 03 Aug 2018, 17:32
Postal wrote:

Please find the response inline:

censure

My response:

(A) The prominent politicians cannot escape censure by their colleagues.Yes, as given above - A politician can neither be reelected nor avoid censure. Hence, this must be true.

(B) If there had been no scandal, the prominent politicians would be reelected. We don't know this can happen, do we??

(C) No politician is censured unless he or she is known to be involved in a serious scandal.This is not given in the passage

(D) The prominent politicians initially benefited from the conspiracy that caused the scandal. oh really? when did this happen?

censure irrelevant

Thanks,
Uma
GMAT Club Bot
Re: A politician can neither be reelected nor avoid censure by &nbs [#permalink] 03 Aug 2018, 17:32

Go to page   Previous    1   2   [ 30 posts ] 

A politician can neither be reelected nor avoid censure by

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap