Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 22:44 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 22:44

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 101 [34]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618850 [3]
Given Kudos: 81588
Send PM
General Discussion
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 364 [3]
Given Kudos: 54
Concentration: Strategy, Entrepreneurship
Schools: Fuqua '14 (M)
Send PM
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1547 [2]
Given Kudos: 44
Concentration: International Business, Marketing
GMAT Date: 06-06-2014
GPA: 3.07
Send PM
Re: A politician can neither be reelected nor avoid censure by [#permalink]
Kudos
Postal wrote:
A politician can neither be reelected nor avoid censure by his or her colleagues if that politician is
known to be involved in any serious scandals. Several prominent politicians have just now been
shown to be involved in a conspiracy that turned into a serious scandal. These politicians will therefore not be reelected.
If the statements above are all true, which one of the following statements must also be true?

(A) The prominent politicians cannot escape censure by their colleagues.
(B) If there had been no scandal, the prominent politicians would be reelected.
(C) No politician is censured unless he or she is known to be involved in a serious scandal.
(D) The prominent politicians initially benefited from the conspiracy that caused the scandal.
(E) Some politicians who are involved in scandalous conspiracies avoid detection and
censure

If scandals (X) , not avoid censure (Y) and not reelect (Z)

(A) states correctly the boldface
(B) If not X, then Z => wrong
(C) Y unless X => wrong
(D) wrong
(E) X happen, Y not happen => wrong.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 44 [1]
Given Kudos: 4
Concentration: General Management, Entrepreneurship
GPA: 3.6
WE:Law (Entertainment and Sports)
Send PM
Kudos
Postal wrote:
A politician can neither be reelected nor avoid censure by his or her colleagues if that politician is
known to be involved in any serious scandals. Several prominent politicians have just now been
shown to be involved in a conspiracy that turned into a serious scandal. These politicians will therefore not be reelected.
If the statements above are all true, which one of the following statements must also be true?

(B) If there had been no scandal, the prominent politicians would be reelected.
(C) No politician is censured unless he or she is known to be involved in a serious scandal.
(D) The prominent politicians initially benefited from the conspiracy that caused the scandal.
(E) Some politicians who are involved in scandalous conspiracies avoid detection and
censure

A is the obvious answer but I'm going to attempt to explain through elimination why this is the case (working backwards)

D and E suffer from the same problem--they reflect information outside the scope of the passage, or put another way, you would need additional statements (premises) to justify such conclusions. For D, there is no discussion of benefits for conspiracies (whether politicians can ever benefit or whether politicians always are initially benefitted prior to the negative fallout). For E, there is no discussion of the consequences of avoiding detection. While it may be true from a common sense perspective, nothing in the passage can support this claim directly, especially in this case where we are concerned about politicians who were caught.

B and C suffer from the same problem--they reflect fallacious reasoning based on assumptions not supported in the passage. For B, it is basically stating "All prominent politicians are reelected UNLESS they are known to be part of a scandal". Nowhere in the passage is there support for this; we are left to believe there can be many reasons why a politician is not re-elected. C is put in the "unless" form which makes it easier to digest, and again, the passage does not support the claim that censure is only a consequence of scandal; there can be many reasons why a politician may be censured.

The main premise is that IF there's a known link to a serious scandal, then politicians are not reelected and censured. (If X, then not Y and Z. We have evidence of the scandal (X), so 2 conclusions follow: no reelections (NOT Y) and definite censure (Z). The passage already contains the NOT Y and choice A is Z. Someone asked why doesn't A "imply" ALL politicians--as with any CR question, you must take all statements at face value; if the choice meant to include all, it would've stated so.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 3379 [2]
Given Kudos: 877
Concentration: Marketing, International Business
Schools: HBS '19
GMAT 1: 770 Q51 V44
GPA: 4
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
D and E are out of scope.

Down to A,B,C.

I would go with A

(A) The prominent politicians cannot escape
censure by their colleagues.

This must be true based on the facts stated in the argument.

If a politician is involved in a scandal 2 things happen:

1) No relection to the position possible
2) Censured by his/her colleagues.

This choice looks like a parapharse of whats given in the argument so must be true

(B) If there had been no scandal, the prominent
politicians would be reelected.

This could be true but not must be true

(C) No politician is censured unless he or she is
known to be involved in a serious scandal.

Own Kudos [?]: 1970 [0]
Given Kudos: 200
Concentration: Finance, Technology
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V41
GPA: 4
Send PM
anairamitch1804 wrote:
D and E are out of scope.

Down to A,B,C.

I would go with A

(A) The prominent politicians cannot escape
censure by their colleagues.

This must be true based on the facts stated in the argument.

If a politician is involved in a scandal 2 things happen:

1) No relection to the position possible
2) Censured by his/her colleagues.

This choice looks like a parapharse of whats given in the argument so must be true

(B) If there had been no scandal, the prominent
politicians would be reelected.

(C) No politician is censured unless he or she is
known to be involved in a serious scandal.

I doubt the OA because the first statement itself says explicitly "Serious Scandal" and not just "Scandal". Therefore, it means a politician involved in a small scandal can be reelected while only those involved in "serious" ones can not be reelected. Option "A" clearly doesn't take into account "Serious Scandals".

Also statement is an exaggerated statement because it takes into account "ALL" prominent politicians while the second statement says "several" (which is not equal to all). Also the conclusion says "THESE" that means those prominent politicians which are involved in serious scandals and not ALL.

I seriously doubt OA is correct. Experts please clarify.
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 984 [4]
Given Kudos: 1021
GMAT 1: 760 Q48 V47
GMAT 2: 770 Q49 V48
GMAT 3: 770 Q50 V47
GMAT 4: 790 Q50 V51
GRE 1: Q168 V167

GRE 2: Q170 V169
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
gmatexam439,
Quote:
I doubt the OA because the first statement itself says explicitly "Serious Scandal" and not just "Scandal". Therefore, it means a politician involved in a small scandal can be reelected while only those involved in "serious" ones can not be reelected. Option "A" clearly doesn't take into account "Serious Scandals".

Also statement is an exaggerated statement because it takes into account "ALL" prominent politicians while the second statement says "several" (which is not equal to all). Also the conclusion says "THESE" that means those prominent politicians which are involved in serious scandals and not ALL.

I seriously doubt OA is correct. Experts please clarify.

Quote:

I understand the confusion, but choice A does not say that ALL prominent politicians cannot escape censure by their colleagues; rather, choice A states that "the prominent politicians cannot escape censure by their colleagues." This refers only to the prominent politicians who "have just now been shown to be involved in a conspiracy that turned into a serious scandal." And since these specific prominent politicians were in fact involved in a serious scandal, we can conclude that they will neither be reelected nor avoid censure.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 45 [0]
Given Kudos: 237
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V35
GPA: 3
Send PM
I have got the same question pondering in my head. Can you please clarify if the rule applies to GMAT CR all across ?? I meant the prominent politicians refers to the politicians mentioned in the question stem.

The question stem says "These politicians will not be re-elected." Option Says "they cannot escape censure by their colleagues" . Can we infer this ? I felt option E does the better job.
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63658 [2]
Given Kudos: 1773
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
sumanainampudi wrote:
I have got the same question pondering in my head. Can you please clarify if the rule applies to GMAT CR all across ?? I meant the prominent politicians refers to the politicians mentioned in the question stem.

The question stem says "These politicians will not be re-elected." Option Says "they cannot escape censure by their colleagues" . Can we infer this ? I felt option E does the better job.

Quote:

Consider the following example: "Several Germans, Australians, and Americans meet at a hostel in Chile. The Australians are funnier than the Americans." - Does this mean that Australians, in general, are funnier than Americans? Of course not (even though, in this case, it's likely true!)... From the context, we know that the second sentence refers to specific Americans and Australians who are meeting at a hostel in Chile, not Americans and Australians in general.

However, if we remove the article "the" before Australians and Americans in the second sentence, we change the meaning: "Several Germans, Australians, and Americans meet at a hostel in Chile. Australians are funnier than Americans." In this case, the second sentence is a general statement about Americans and Australians rather than a statement about the specific Americans and Australians who are meeting at the hostel.

The same applies to this passage. If the author wanted to refer to prominent politicians in general, the article "The" would not have been used: "Prominent politicians cannot escape censure by their colleagues." There is no "rule" to learn here; rather, you have to think about the meaning and significance of the author's word choice.

Quote:
(E) Some politicians who are involved in scandalous conspiracies avoid detection and censure

As for choice (E), we are told that "A politician can neither be reelected nor avoid censure by his or her colleagues if that politician is known to be involved in any serious scandals." So we are given a SUFFICIENT condition: if a politician is known to be involved in any serious scandals, then that politician can neither be reelected nor avoid censure by his/her colleagues.

Choice (E) says, "...well, it's possible that a politician can be involved in a scandal and avoid censure." This goes against the sufficient condition given in the passage, unless you make the argument that a "scandalous conspiracy" is not necessarily a "serious scandal." Still, there is certainly not enough information in the passage to definitively conclude that some politicians can avoid detection and avoid censure if they are involved in a scandalous conspiracy. To say that choice (E) might be true is a stretch, but we definitely cannot say that it must be true.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 16
Send PM
How could A be the correct answer . It suggests that all prominent politicians will face censure..
In my opinion C is the right answer
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63658 [0]

Send PM
Expert Reply
vishnupandey09 wrote:
How could A be the correct answer . It suggests that all prominent politicians will face censure..
In my opinion C is the right answer

Choice (A) does not suggest that ALL prominent politicians will face censure. It only suggests that THE prominent politicians referred to in the passage (those who "have just now been shown to be involved in a conspiracy that turned into a serious scandal") will face censure.

The following two posts address this point in detail:

Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 263 [0]
Given Kudos: 84
GMAT 1: 650 Q46 V34
GMAT 2: 720 Q49 V40
GPA: 2.58
WE:Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
Got tricked by language in this one :-

I read A as “any prominent politician”, which could obviously not be true. But if the meaning is to refer to the same set of prominent politicians as referred in the para, then, A has to be true.

E - could be or could not be true. We don’t know.

Kicking myself for failing to notice the definitive article “the” in A.

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 11
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V35
Send PM
My answer is A.
However, can someone explain why is C incorrect.

GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63658 [1]

Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
AlexSgmat wrote:
My answer is A.
However, can someone explain why is C incorrect.

Here's (C):
Quote:

(C) tells us that the ONLY reason that a politician can be censured is if he/she is involved in a serious scandal.

We can't infer this from the passage. There could be tons of other reasons to censure politicians -- maybe they can be censured if their pants are outrageous, or if they speak out of turn in a hearing, or any other reason. We just know that they WILL be censured if they are involved in a serious scandal, not that this is the ONLY cause of censure.

Eliminate (C).

I hope that helps!
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6920 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
CR Forum Moderator
832 posts