Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 04:22 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 04:22

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 8532 [25]
Given Kudos: 2
Schools:CBS
 Q50  V37
WE 1: 4 years (Consulting)
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64908 [15]
Given Kudos: 426
Send PM
General Discussion
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 170 [1]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: Finance
 Q44  V35
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1135 [1]
Given Kudos: 6
Send PM
Re: A popular beach has long had a dolphin feeding program in which fish a [#permalink]
Kudos
A. Sharks that prey on dolphins are less common in the open seas off the beach than in many other areas of the open seas where dolphins congregate.
It actually gives another reason that live expectancy should be more.
B. Many of the adult dolphins that feed at the beach are females that nurse their offspring there.
Same as A.
C. The fish given to the dolphins at the beach are the same types of fish that dolphins typically catch in the wild.
Then life life expectancy should be same(provided amount of food is also same). Doesn't explain the difference though.
D. Many dolphins that feed at the beach with their offspring come to the beach only a few times a month.
Irrelevant as it also Doesn't explain the difference.
E. Adult dolphins that feed at the beach spend much less time teaching their offspring how to catch fish in the wild than do other adult dolphins.
This can be the reason why they are not healthy and have lower life expectancy.Because they are only dependent on the 1/2 of their diet on the food provided through the feeding program.So for another half they have to make effort.And if they don't know how to get the food the live expectancy will decline
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 82
Send PM
Re: A popular beach has long had a dolphin feeding program in which fish a [#permalink]
Hello Karishma,

Just for the sake of clarity and to ensure that we are rejecting option 'A' for right reasons. In option A you mentioned "predators is lower near the beach" but in actual answer choice it says " open seas off the beach ". I think " open seas off the beach " is an area far away from beach and not near? Please comment.

Thanks
Manoj Parashar
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64908 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
manojISB123 wrote:
Hello Karishma,

Just for the sake of clarity and to ensure that we are rejecting option 'A' for right reasons. In option A you mentioned "predators is lower near the beach" but in actual answer choice it says " open seas off the beach ". I think " open seas off the beach " is an area far away from beach and not near? Please comment.

Thanks
Manoj Parashar

"open seas off the beach" means they are talking of waters close to the beach.
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 82
Send PM
VeritasPrepKarishma wrote:
manojISB123 wrote:
Hello Karishma,

Thanks
Manoj Parashar

Thanks for reply. But as far i understand the contextual/literal meaning of Off is away/at distance (Just checked/confirmed on Google.Can not post link as I don't have 5 post yet). I understand it is quite small thing but just trying to understand how "OFF" in this context could mean close?
You may like to use any examples to explain.

Thanks
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64908 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
manojISB123 wrote:
VeritasPrepKarishma wrote:
manojISB123 wrote:
Hello Karishma,

Thanks
Manoj Parashar

Thanks for reply. But as far i understand the contextual/literal meaning of Off is away/at distance (Just checked/confirmed on Google.Can not post link as I don't have 5 post yet). I understand it is quite small thing but just trying to understand how "OFF" in this context could mean close?
You may like to use any examples to explain.

Thanks

Important is the meaning of the phrase, not of individual words.
Quite often the phrase is used in this way "...the rock formation just off the beach...". It means next to the beach. 'The waters off the beach' means the waters next to the beach. That is how you differentiate 'waters close to the beach' from 'waters far away from the beach'.

Probably, insertion of the word 'just' would have made the intent clearer but we cannot change the options.
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 217
Send PM
There are multiple usages of "off" as a preposition and as an adverb. All usages are explained with examples under the following link:

https://www.collinsdictionary.com/dicti ... lish/off_1

All your doubts regarding "off" will be cleared. Thank you.
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6920 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
CR Forum Moderator
832 posts