GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 26 Aug 2019, 02:21

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

A professional bread baker has determined that loaves prepared with fl

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Find Similar Topics 
Director
Director
D
Concentration: Finance, Human Resources
GPA: 3.97
WE: Project Management (Investment Banking)
A professional bread baker has determined that loaves prepared with fl  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 Jul 2019, 21:36
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

95% (hard)

Question Stats:

27% (02:17) correct 73% (02:16) wrong based on 255 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

A professional bread baker has determined that loaves prepared with flour made by Agrica rise higher and have a chewier texture than loaves prepared with the same recipe but with flour made by Great Mill. This difference is due to the higher protein content of Agrica’s flour, which is milled entirely from wheat grown in the state of Lomas.

If the statements above are all true, they most strongly support which of the following conclusions?

a) All flour milled from wheat grown in Lomas has a higher protein content than does Great Mill’s flour.
b) Any bread made from Agrica’s flour will rise higher and have a chewier texture than will bread made from Great Mill’s flour.
c) The wheat used to make Agrica’s flour has a higher protein content than does the wheat used to make Great Mill’s flour.
d) Bread made at home with Agrica’s flour may rise higher and have a chewier texture than bread made at home from Great Mill’s flour.
e) Flour milled from Lomas wheat contains a higher proportion of protein than does any other flour.
Intern
Intern
B
A professional bread baker has determined that loaves prepared with fl  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 Jul 2019, 22:58
A professional bread baker has determined that loaves prepared with flour made by Agrica rise higher and have a chewier texture than loaves prepared with the same recipe but with flour made by Great Mill. This difference is due to the higher protein content of Agrica’s flour, which is milled entirely from wheat grown in the state of Lomas.

If the statements above are all true, they most strongly support which of the following conclusions?

a) All flour milled from wheat grown in Lomas has a higher protein content than does Great Mill’s flour - This can not be said with certainty about All Flour, since the passage suggests that only the flour Grown in Lomas and produced in Agrica's has a higher protein content than does Great Mill’s flour.

b) Any bread made from Agrica’s flour will rise higher and have a chewier texture than will bread made from Great Mill’s flour. - The passage gives an additional condition of a Similar recipe (......loaves prepared with the same recipe but with flour made by Great Mill). So this can not be certainly concluded as well.

c) The wheat used to make Agrica’s flour has a higher protein content than does the wheat used to make Great Mill’s flour. -

Correct

d) Bread made at home with Agrica’s flour may rise higher and have a chewier texture than bread made at home from Great Mill’s flour. -Same as B, The baker at home may use different recipe than used by the Professional Baker.

e) Flour milled from Lomas wheat contains a higher proportion of protein than does any other flour. - No such Remark in the passage about any other flour.

IMO C

Please give Kudos if you like my post!
Intern
Intern
B
Re: A professional bread baker has determined that loaves prepared with fl  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Jul 2019, 11:37
Mayank1996 wrote:

a) All flour milled from wheat grown in Lomas has a higher protein content than does Great Mill’s flour - This can not be said with certainty about All Flour, since the passage suggests that only the flour Grown in Lomas and produced in Agrica's has a higher protein content than does Great Mill’s flour.

b) Any bread made from Agrica’s flour will rise higher and have a chewier texture than will bread made from Great Mill’s flour. - The passage gives an additional condition of a Similar recipe (......loaves prepared with the same recipe but with flour made by Great Mill). So this can not be certainly concluded as well.

c) The wheat used to make Agrica’s flour has a higher protein content than does the wheat used to make Great Mill’s flour. -

Correct

d) Bread made at home with Agrica’s flour may rise higher and have a chewier texture than bread made at home from Great Mill’s flour. -Same as B, The baker at home may use different recipe than used by the Professional Baker.

e) Flour milled from Lomas wheat contains a higher proportion of protein than does any other flour. - No such Remark in the passage about any other flour.

IMO C

Answer (D) says “may rise higher and have a chewier...” Therefore, there is a possibility that it rises higher, but it’s not a guarantee. D is the correct answer.
Manager
Manager
B
Re: A professional bread baker has determined that loaves prepared with fl  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 Jul 2019, 17:22
goobo wrote:
Mayank1996 wrote:

Correct

Hi! Can you explain again why D is the answer and not C? I thought D was out of scope

IMO C

Answer (D) says “may rise higher and have a chewier...” Therefore, there is a possibility that it rises higher, but it’s not a guarantee. D is the correct answer.
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 24 Jul 2019, 22:36
Can someone please explain why D is the answer?

I thought D was out of scope because the argument stated the opinion of professional bread baker whereas D mentions about the bread made at home.
VP
VP
D
Concentration: Operations, Marketing
GMAT 1: 670 Q48 V36
GRE 1: Q157 V157
GPA: 3.4
WE: Engineering (Manufacturing)
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 25 Jul 2019, 08:33
AniJain wrote:
Can someone please explain why D is the answer?

I thought D was out of scope because the argument stated the opinion of professional bread baker whereas D mentions about the bread made at home.

D is the answer because it strengthens one of the premise of the argument "A professional bread baker has determined that loaves prepared with flour made by Agrica rise higher and have a chewier texture than loaves prepared with the same recipe but with flour made by Great Mill."

The are many ways to strengthen the conclusion strengthening the premise is one such method. In D we are replication the process in home and still find that the same result that the argument talks about. So this is the answer

A is wrong for it uses all a very extreme word. This scenario is very unrealistic. Also there is wrong comparison.
B There can be other forms of bread that can have different properties other than that discussed in the argument.
C It just a repeat of the information from the argument.
D correct
E It may and may not be true. So E is also out.
B
GMAT ToolKit User CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 27 Jul 2019, 09:08
Hi Expert,

Why C is incorrect?

Please explain.

Thank you.
Manager
Manager
S
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 27 Jul 2019, 11:11
ballest127 wrote:
Hi Expert,

Why C is incorrect?

Please explain.

Thank you.

I also marked C but later got my mistake. If you read carefully argument mentions 'higher protein content of Agrica’s flour, which is milled entirely from wheat grown of the state in Lomas'

As per the argument higher protein content is in the flour but nowhere does it mention about the protein content of wheat, which is what choice C says. That's why D.

Hope this helps.

Posted from my mobile device

I am on a journey. Gradually I'll there..!!
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 04 Aug 2019, 18:50
kitipriyanka wrote:
ballest127 wrote:
Hi Expert,

Why C is incorrect?

Please explain.

Thank you.

I also marked C but later got my mistake. If you read carefully argument mentions 'higher protein content of Agrica’s flour, which is milled entirely from wheat grown of the state in Lomas'

As per the argument higher protein content is in the flour but nowhere does it mention about the protein content of wheat, which is what choice C says. That's why D.

Hope this helps.

Posted from my mobile device

But don't you think that the word "entirely" here says that nothing else was used, but just the wheat was used to make the flour and therefore we can say that the protein content of the flour is because of the wheat?
Or is it like, may be the process of making flour added proteins to the flour and wheat itself didn't have much protein?
GMAT Club Bot
Re: A professional bread baker has determined that loaves prepared with fl   [#permalink] 04 Aug 2019, 18:50

A professional bread baker has determined that loaves prepared with fl

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics