Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 21:08 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 21:08

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Difficulty: 605-655 Levelx   Idioms/Diction/Redundancyx                        
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 69 [7]
Given Kudos: 210
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 88 [0]
Given Kudos: 87
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V37
GPA: 4
Send PM
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 398 [4]
Given Kudos: 20
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 130 [7]
Given Kudos: 119
Send PM
Re: A professor at the university has taken a sabbatical to research on [#permalink]
Kudos
Quote:
'Research' can be used both as a noun and as a verb. However when the term is used as a verb, say like in this case, it doesn't normally take a preposition such as on, into, or about etc.

Dear daagh, as you and thecriticalreader1 wrote that research cannot take a preposition when it acts as a verb, but what I need to understand is how come research acts as a verb in the above sentence? IMO, it is in the form of an infinitive and is a verb looking word (to + research), but not verb.

Subject - A professor , Main verb - has taken.
Can any expert resolve my doubt? It would be much appreciated. TIA.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 221 [13]
Given Kudos: 329
GMAT 1: 670 Q50 V31
GMAT 2: 640 Q47 V30
GMAT 3: 700 Q49 V36
GMAT 4: 490 Q39 V18
GPA: 4
Send PM
Re: A professor at the university has taken a sabbatical to research on [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Hey aalekhoza

I will try to explain in simple terms as to why "to research on, to research about, to research into" is incorrect.

But first for the main doubts- "To research" is not a verb. Yes agreed. "To + action word" is not a verb.

Now only focus on the word "research".
Ask yourself this whenever u see it in a sentence.
Does it have a VERB before it? NO. We CANNOT use a preposition after it.
Does it have a VERB before it? YES. We use a preposition after it.

Simple Example:
1. The professor at the university has taken a leave to do a research on James Baldwin's books. -------- CORRECT.
Why is the above example correct? Because we have a verb before research.

2. The professor at the university has taken a leave to research on James Baldwin's books. --------- INCORRECT
Why is it incorrect? Because we DO NOT have a verb before research.
So how do i correct it? Just remove the preposition "on".

Hope it helps. :)
Please correct me if I am wrong. GMATNinja VeritasKarishma
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 130 [4]
Given Kudos: 119
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
blitzkriegxX wrote:
Hey aalekhoza

I will try to explain in simple terms as to why "to research on, to research about, to research into" is incorrect.

But first for the main doubts- "To research" is not a verb. Yes agreed. "To + action word" is not a verb.

Now only focus on the word "research".
Does it have a VERB before it? NO.
Hence we cannot use a preposition after it.

Simple Example:
1. The professor at the university has taken a leave to do a research on James Baldwin's books. -------- CORRECT.
Why is the above example correct? Because we have a verb before research.

2. The professor at the university has taken a leave to research on James Baldwin's books. --------- INCORRECT
Why is it incorrect? Because we DO NOT have a verb before research.
So how do i correct it? Just remove the preposition "on".

Hope it helps. :)
Please correct me if I am wrong. GMATNinja VeritasKarishma

Dear blitzkriegxX,
Your explanation is similar to what I researched later regarding the usage of the word "research".

I made a note of its usage that goes like -
When "research" alone is used as a verb, no preposition should be used. The verb research requires a direct object, not a preposition followed by its object.
Correct: He researched the subject.

When a verb such as "do" or "conduct" is placed before the word "research" (which is then used as a noun), a preposition should be used. "On", "into," and "about" are all acceptable.

Correct: He did research on the subject.
Correct: He did research into the subject
Correct: He conducted research about the subject.

'Research' can be used both as a noun and as a verb. However when the term is used as a verb, it doesn't normally take a preposition such as on, into, or about etc.

Thanks for your response, mate!
EMPOWERgmat Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 14673 [6]
Given Kudos: 766
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
Hello Everyone!

Let's tackle this question, one issue at a time, to figure out which option is the correct choice! Here is the original question, with the major differences between each option highlighted in orange:

A professor at the university has taken a sabbatical to research on James Baldwin's books that Baldwin wrote in France while he was living there.

(A) on James Baldwin's books that Baldwin wrote in France while he was living there
(B) about the books James Baldwin wrote in France
(C) into James Baldwin's books written while in France
(D) on the books of James Baldwin, written while he lived in France
(E) the books James Baldwin wrote while he lived in France

After a quick glance over the options, two major differences become clear:

1. How they begin
2. How they end

If we start with how each option begins, we need to focus on the idiomatic structure with the phrase "to research."

Whenever we research something, we have to ask the question: WHAT are we going to research? In English, we follow the structure "to research X," with X being the topic at hand. Let's see which options use the idiomatic structure correctly, and rule out those that don't:

(A) to research on James Baldwin's books that Baldwin wrote in France while he was living there --> "to research on X" is INCORRECT
(B) to research about the books James Baldwin wrote in France --> "to research about X" is INCORRECT
(C) to research into James Baldwin's books written while in France --> "to research into X" is INCORRECT
(D) to research on the books of James Baldwin, written while he lived in France --> "to research on X" is INCORRECT
(E) to research the books James Baldwin wrote while he lived in France --> "to research X" is CORRECT

There you go - option E is the only one that uses the proper idiom structure "to research X."

Don't study for the GMAT. Train for it.

Originally posted by EMPOWERgmatVerbal on 16 Oct 2018, 16:55.
Last edited by EMPOWERgmatVerbal on 07 Mar 2019, 18:49, edited 2 times in total.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
In Oxford Advanced Learner's Dictionary, The first usage on Research - as a verb - is research (into/in/on something), of course, you can say research something , but can you really just eliminate the answers simply because of the prep after it? cuz wrong choices have other different splits. Can anyone plz help me out?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 31 [0]
Given Kudos: 204
Send PM
daagh What about the possibility that the professor wants to research books, which James Baldwin wrote while the professor lived in France? Unlikely of course, but I think it does prove that there is some ambiguity in choice (E). It just so happens that the ambiguity is not that bad.

I'm convinced that all of the options suffer from ambiguity. Thus it makes the most sense to go with (E) because it is the only one that doesn't suffer from using the wrong idiom.

Ambiguities found in each option:

(A) "while he was living there" could be subordinate to the "A professor..." clause or the "that Baldwin wrote..." clause. Even if we assume that it binds the "that Baldwin wrote..." clause, then the "he" could refer to "A professor" or "Baldwin".

(B) "in France" could refer to where James Baldwin wrote his books or it could refer to where the professor has taken his sabbatical.

(C) This one has grammar problems, but if we assume the author meant "into James Baldwins' books [that were] written while in France", then we run into ambiguity problems. They were written while who was in France?

(D) "he" could refer to James Baldwin or the professor

(E) "he" could refer to James Baldwin or the professor
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42103 [1]
Given Kudos: 422
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
Top Contributor
GmatMan

Quote:
A professor at the university has taken a sabbatical to research on James Baldwin's books that Baldwin wrote in France while he was living there.

(A) on James Baldwin's books that Baldwin wrote in France while he was living there
(B)about the books James Baldwin wrote in France
(C) into James Baldwin's books written while in France
(D) on the books of James Baldwin, written while he lived in France
(E) the books James Baldwin wrote while he lived in France

For most of us, perhaps the use of the correct idiom has come to a great help to get over the vexing dilemma of ambiguity. We can simply brush aside the first four choices on wrong idiomatic expression alone.

Yet, what will happen if there were no help from idioms? Will we drop this official question calling it controversial?

Let us go deeper. Baldwin lived in the last century. The clause says that the professor has taken a sabbatical (present tense). This it is clear that all of the past tense events such as 'wrote and was living' in A, wrote in B, Baldwin wrote while he lived in France" in E, all pertain to Baldwin and not to the Professor. Therefore, I see no clash of entity as far as the pronoun 'he' is concerned.
the
The introduction of the ambiguity of the pronoun 'he' is a clever pitfall by GMAT to test how many fall into it. Those who trip into the trap may not complete this question on the d-day

IMHO, this is the crux of this amazing OG question.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 31 [0]
Given Kudos: 204
Send PM
daagh

I don't think this question is controversial. I agree the correct answer is (E), but for different reasons than those stated in your analysis. (E) suffers from ambiguity with the use of "he", but it is still the best answer because all the other answers suffer from ambiguity as well. (A), (B), (C), and (D) all suffer from ambiguity and they use the wrong idiomatic expression. (E) suffers from ambiguity, but uses the correct idiomatic expression. Therefore we choose (E).

For (E) I agree with you that "while he lived in France" is clearly a subordinate of the clause "(that) James Baldwin wrote" rather than the main clause "A professor at the university...". However, there is still ambiguity around the use of "he" (even with it bound to the correct clause). "He" could still refer to the professor.

For example, it is a possibility that (E) could be read like this:
A professor at the university has taken a sabbatical to research the books. The books that James Baldwin wrote while the professor lived in France.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 64 [0]
Given Kudos: 407
Send PM
isn't the word *he* in A D and E ambiguous?
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 3528 [3]
Given Kudos: 149
Schools: ISB
GPA: 3.31
Send PM
Kudos