GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 22 Aug 2018, 00:53

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

A professor at the university has taken a sabbatical to research on Ja

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

DS Forum Moderator
P
Concentration: International Business, General Management
GPA: 3.64
WE: Business Development (Energy and Utilities)
Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: A professor at the university has taken a sabbatical to research on Ja  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 Jun 2018, 09:06
But the OA is "E"

this means E is not the ideal sentence, but yes it is best among the answer choices.

abhimahna wrote:
gmatbusters wrote:
abhimahna

why can't he refer to professor in "E"?

Hey gmatbusters ,

The problem in E is same as we have in A.

We have two nouns to which "he" can refer to.

It could be either the professor or Baldwin. Therefore, the meaning is ambiguous here. Who was living in france?

Does that make sense?

SC: Confusable words
All you need for Quant, GMAT PS Question Directory,GMAT DS Question Directory
Error log/Key Concepts
Combination Concept: Division into groups
Question of the Day (QOTD)
Free GMAT CATS

Manager
Manager
S
Reviews Badge
Re: A professor at the university has taken a sabbatical to research on Ja  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 30 Jun 2018, 22:25
daagh wrote:
@StrugglingGMAT
The problem with A as far as I see is 1. The idiom 'research on' is dubious. 'Research the books' is better as in E.

2. How do you like the expression "on James Baldwin's books that Baldwin wrote"? Who else would have written his books? Isn't it plain redundant?

yes sir I arrived at the conclusion it was a preferential or concision error at last .(E short and concise )
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 05 Aug 2018, 05:03
Please help with this question, reasons other than idiom, POE approach please.
Intern
Intern
B
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 16 Aug 2018, 06:18
Quick Question:

I am non native so I did not figure out the Idiom with "research". Is there any other way to eliminate B?

My thinking was:

B: about the books James Baldwin wrote in France.
E: the books James Baldwin wrote while he lived in France.

While both of the answer choices made sense to me, I was thinking that E just included an unnecessary modifier. B is way shorter and communicates the same meaning: That the professor wrote the books in France. Do I really need to have the "living" part in there?

I mean it`s clear to me that he needs to live in France in order to write books there.

Thanks you very much for your help!
Intern
Intern
B
GMAT ToolKit User
A professor at the university has taken a sabbatical to research on Ja  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 17 Aug 2018, 00:03
E ..the books James Baldwin wrote while he lived in France

Im confused ...

I live in nyc ,but im visiting London now

he lived in France ,but he could be visiting some other countries while he was working on his books

the original sentence is trying to say that James wrote those books when he lived in France ..and he was indeed living in France / not travelling or visiting other places ??? if it's intended meaning , then E cant be the answer ...it changed the meaning

non-native speaker here ..please help
Manager
Manager
B

Show Tags

New post 17 Aug 2018, 03:35
How to identify if *research* is used as verb here. I thought the verb was *has taken*

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using GMAT Club Forum mobile app
Manager
Manager
B

Show Tags

New post 18 Aug 2018, 22:23
sumit411 wrote:
How to identify if *research* is used as verb here. I thought the verb was *has taken*

Anyone?

Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
P

Show Tags

New post 20 Aug 2018, 07:12
walker wrote:
A professor at the university has taken a sabbatical to research on James Baldwin's books that Baldwin wrote in France while he was living there.

A) on James Baldwin's books that Baldwin wrote in France while he was living there
B) about the books James Baldwin wrote in France
C) into James Baldwin's books written while in France
D) on the books of James Baldwin, written while he lived in France
E) the books James Baldwin wrote while he lived in France

Responding to a pm:
Quote:
My confusion--I know that when research is used as a verb, it CANNOT take preposition. Contrary to that, when *research* is used as a noun, it cannot take a preposition.

I am not able to find out that research is used as a verb in option E (OA). I thought that has taken is the verb here

In option (E), research is not the verb. "to research" is an infinitive, a verbal. It shows the purpose of the action "has taken" - the verb.
Read more about infinitives here: https://www.veritasprep.com/blog/2017/1 ... finitives/

Karishma
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor

Learn more about how Veritas Prep can help you achieve a great GMAT score by checking out their GMAT Prep Options >

GMAT self-study has never been more personalized or more fun. Try ORION Free!

Manager
Manager
B
GMAT 1: 640 Q48 V31
GPA: 3.9

Show Tags

New post 21 Aug 2018, 11:22
abhimahna wrote:
gmatbusters wrote:
abhimahna

why can't he refer to professor in "E"?

Hey gmatbusters ,

The problem in E is same as we have in A.

We have two nouns to which "he" can refer to.

It could be either the professor or Baldwin. Therefore, the meaning is ambiguous here. Who was living in france?

Does that make sense?

abhimahna but the answer is E here.
though daagh shed some light on this issue in a post above, but I still do not understand that well.
Re: A professor at the university has taken a sabbatical to research on Ja &nbs [#permalink] 21 Aug 2018, 11:22

Go to page   Previous    1   2   [ 30 posts ] 

A professor at the university has taken a sabbatical to research on Ja

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Events & Promotions

PREV
NEXT

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap