It is currently 17 Oct 2017, 04:48

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

A prominent investor who holds a large stake in the Burton Tool compan

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 229 [0], given: 20

Concentration: Technology, General Management
GPA: 3.95
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Re: A prominent investor who holds a large stake in the Burton Tool compan [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 Jan 2012, 17:59
ngupta27 wrote:
Any guide for BOLD FACED QUESTIONS ?
I get all of them wrong :(
Someone please suggest me something for that!!!!

Regards
Nitin

IMO, it is waste to try to guess what is the conclusion of the argument because there can be multiple conclusions possible depending on to what piece of info one gives importance. So never try to conclude yourself before reading answer choices.

For this reason, I think following should help:

--> Read the whole argument and get the author's voice.
--> Read answer choices; try to connect statements in question as per the answer choice. Whatever connection makes sense, that is the answer.

-------------------------
-Aravind Chembeti

Kudos [?]: 229 [0], given: 20

Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 584 [0], given: 264

GMAT 1: 620 Q49 V24
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Re: A prominent investor who holds a large stake in the Burton Tool compan [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 Jan 2012, 23:59
+1 B
nice Qn.

Fire the final bullet only when you are constantly hitting the Bull's eye, till then KEEP PRACTICING.

A WAY TO INCREASE FROM QUANT 35-40 TO 47 : http://gmatclub.com/forum/a-way-to-increase-from-q35-40-to-q-138750.html

Q 47/48 To Q 50 + http://gmatclub.com/forum/the-final-climb-quest-for-q-50-from-q47-129441.html#p1064367

Three good RC strategies http://gmatclub.com/forum/three-different-strategies-for-attacking-rc-127287.html

Kudos [?]: 584 [0], given: 264

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 33 [0], given: 24

Show Tags

New post 21 Jan 2012, 22:55
IMO B but very tough one for me

Kudos [?]: 33 [0], given: 24

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 13

GMAT 1: 690 Q48 V36
GPA: 3.59
WE: Accounting (Accounting)

Show Tags

New post 26 May 2012, 05:42
Seems like it is B.
As the first bold sentence is for sure a conclusion. Only answer B states this fact, other than that, Guys does anyone know how to tackle such questions. I do not get the answers!!! Help

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 13

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 62 [0], given: 22

Show Tags

New post 08 Jun 2012, 03:58
Chose D, Got totally stumped by the question.

Thank you for the explanations.

Kudos [?]: 62 [0], given: 22

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 64 [0], given: 16

Concentration: General Management, Finance
GPA: 3.22
WE: Corporate Finance (Consulting)

Show Tags

New post 08 Jun 2012, 05:48
B for me too. My strategy with questions such as this is that I break down the argument into parts - premises, sub-conclusion/s to main conclusion.

Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure... than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much, because they live in a gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat.
- T. Roosevelt

Kudos [?]: 64 [0], given: 16

1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 540 [1], given: 11

Concentration: Marketing, Finance
GPA: 3.23
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 27 Jan 2013, 06:48
This post received
KUDOS
[b]

(1) MAIN CONCLUSION: "but in this case it is clearly not justified" - Eliminate A, C, D and E
(2) "Burton's case indicates no such thing" is supported by "the increase in inventory is entirely attributable to products that have already been assigned to orders received from customers".. Therefore it is also a conclusion...
(3) "but in this case it is clearly not justified" BECAUSE "Burton's case indicates no such thing"

[/b]

In the argument given, the two boldfaced portions play which of the following roles?

A. The first provides evidenceto support the conclusion of the argument as a whole; the second states the conclusion.

B.The 1st states the conclusion of the argument as a whole; the second states an intermediate conclusion that is drawn in order to support that conclusion

C.The 1st is the position that the argument as a whole opposes;the second provides evidence against the position being opposed.

D.The first states an intermediate conclusionthat is drawn in order to support the conclusion of the argument as a whole; the 2nd states the conclusion of the argument as a whole

E. The 1st & the 2nd both state intermediate conclusionsthat are drawn in order to support jointly the conclusions of the argument as a whole.

Answer: B

Impossible is nothing to God.

Kudos [?]: 540 [1], given: 11

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 107 [1], given: 32

Concentration: Finance
GMAT 1: 660 Q48 V33

Show Tags

New post 24 Oct 2013, 20:09
This post received
KUDOS
A The first states the position that the argument as a whole opposes; the second provides evidence to undermine the support for the position being opposed.--- The first statement is correct, but the second statement is not an evidence.

B The first states the position that the argument as a whole opposes; the second is evidence that has been used to support the position being opposed.--- Same as A. Second statement is not evidence.

C The first states the position that the argument as a whole opposes; the second states the conclusion of the argument as a whole.--- CORRECT.

D The first is evidence that has been used to SMPPort a position that the argument as a whole opposes; the second provides information to undermine the force of that evidence.--- The first is not an evidence but just something the investor claims.

E The first is evidence that has been used to support a position that the argument as a whole opposes; the second states the conclusion of the argument as a whole.---- The first statement is not an evidence but this what the investor claims.

Kudos [?]: 107 [1], given: 32

1 KUDOS received
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend

Kudos [?]: 261 [1], given: 0

Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 05 May 2014, 06:01
This post received
KUDOS
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.

Kudos [?]: 261 [1], given: 0

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 4

Show Tags

New post 05 May 2014, 12:32
The correct answer should be B and most of us have selected B but on selecting B, the answer choice B is indicated in RED as the wrong answer and answer choice C is higlighted in green to indicate that it is the correct answer. Is anyone else facing this issue?

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 4

Expert Post
e-GMAT Representative
S

Kudos [?]: 9024 [0], given: 335

Show Tags

New post 06 May 2014, 23:24
BPD wrote:
The correct answer should be B and most of us have selected B but on selecting B, the answer choice B is indicated in RED as the wrong answer and answer choice C is higlighted in green to indicate that it is the correct answer. Is anyone else facing this issue?

Hi BPD,

The question poster has posted the wrong correct option. That is why you are facing this issue. You are right: the correct option is B.

Thanks,
Chiranjeev

| '4 out of Top 5' Instructors on gmatclub | 70 point improvement guarantee | www.e-gmat.com

Kudos [?]: 9024 [0], given: 335

Manager
Manager
Status: Please do not forget to give kudos if you like my post

Kudos [?]: 102 [0], given: 257

Show Tags

New post 07 May 2014, 23:30

Kudos [?]: 102 [0], given: 257

GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend

Kudos [?]: 261 [0], given: 0

Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 13 Sep 2016, 14:37
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.

Kudos [?]: 261 [0], given: 0

Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 80

Show Tags

New post 15 Dec 2016, 01:13
Hi, is the 2nd bold face conclusion of the argument? I think conclusion is that company is not mismanaged. 2nd bold face in this case is concluding about - 'manager can ever be anything other than counterproductiv'.
So i dont think its manin conclusion of the argument. Though this choice is better than rest of the choices.
Can an expert explain plz.
Thanks

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 80

Manager
Manager
S

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 345

CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 16 Mar 2017, 22:21
it is clearly not justified is a conclusion via author .. so directly C and E.
and first is a view point of the investor ...so cann't be evidence.. Hence C

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 345

Current Student
B

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 120

Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GMAT Date: 07-23-2015
WE: Project Management (Energy and Utilities)

Show Tags

New post 22 May 2017, 09:58
GMATNinja I got confused between C & D. Can anybody help

VP
VP
D

Kudos [?]: 1167 [0], given: 412

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 25 May 2017, 05:23
A prominent investor who holds a large stake in the Burton Tool company has recently claimed that the company is mismanaged, citing as evidence the company's failure to slow production in response to a recent rise in its inventory of finished products. It is doubtful whether an investor's sniping at management can ever be anything other than counterproductive, but in this case it is clearly not justified. It is true that an increased inventory of finished products often indicates that production is outstripping demand, but in Burton's case it indicates no such thing. Rather, the increase in inventory is entirely attributable to products that have already been assigned to orders received from customers.

In the argument given, the two boldfaced portions play which of the following roles?

(A) The first states the position that the argument as a whole opposes; the second provides evidence to undermine the support for the position being opposed.
(B) The first states the position that the argument as a whole opposes; the second is evidence that has been used to support the position being opposed.
(C) The first states the position that the argument as a whole opposes; the second states the conclusion of the argument as a whole.
(D) The first is evidence that has been used to support a position that the argument as a whole opposes; the second provides information to undermine the force of that evidence.
(E) The first is evidence that has been used to support a position that the argument as a whole opposes; the second states the conclusion of the argument as a whole.

GMATNinjaTwo Could you help to assist to analyse this question? Does the word "clearly" is a hint for the conclusion? Perhaps you could provide the explanations for the transition word in this argument. I have a hard time to identify the conclusion of the argument. Thank you.

"Be challenged at EVERY MOMENT."

“Strength doesn’t come from what you can do. It comes from overcoming the things you once thought you couldn’t.”

"Each stage of the journey is crucial to attaining new heights of knowledge."

Rules for posting in verbal forum | Please DO NOT post short answer in your post!

Kudos [?]: 1167 [0], given: 412

1 KUDOS received
BSchool Forum Moderator
D

Kudos [?]: 784 [1], given: 64

Concentration: Healthcare, Technology
GMAT 1: 710 Q50 V35
GPA: 3.65
WE: Information Technology (Health Care)
Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 25 May 2017, 10:38
This post received
KUDOS
hazelnut wrote:
A prominent investor who holds a large stake in the Burton Tool company has recently claimed that the company is mismanaged, citing as evidence the company's failure to slow production in response to a recent rise in its inventory of finished products. It is doubtful whether an investor's sniping at management can ever be anything other than counterproductive, but in this case it is clearly not justified. It is true that an increased inventory of finished products often indicates that production is outstripping demand, but in Burton's case it indicates no such thing. Rather, the increase in inventory is entirely attributable to products that have already been assigned to orders received from customers.

(A) The first states the position that the argument as a whole opposes; the second provides evidence to undermine the support for the position being opposed.
(B) The first states the position that the argument as a whole opposes; the second is evidence that has been used to support the position being opposed.
(C) The first states the position that the argument as a whole opposes; the second states the conclusion of the argument as a whole.
(D) The first is evidence that has been used to support a position that the argument as a whole opposes; the second provides information to undermine the force of that evidence.
(E) The first is evidence that has been used to support a position that the argument as a whole opposes; the second states the conclusion of the argument as a whole.

GMATNinjaTwo Could you help to assist to analyse this question? Does the word "clearly" is a hint for the conclusion? Perhaps you could provide the explanations for the transition word in this argument. I have a hard time to identify the conclusion of the argument. Thank you.

Hi hazelnut ,

My two cents here brother :)

Always remember the marker words to determine the conclusion or the premise. Some of these markers for conclusion are clearly, therefore, hence, thus, claimed, etc.

For premises, we have Since, because, the reason is, etc.

Now, in this question we have two claims:

1. The prominent investor claim. "the company is mismanaged"
2. The author's claim stated by the word clearly . "in this case it is clearly not justified".

Now, you to determine which is a conclusion and which is a premise:

You can always use AB test.

Is A because of B? --> Then A is the conclusion

Is B because of A.? --> Then B is the conclusion.

Other than this, try to find out what the author is trying to say and then what he has used as an extra information to prove his point. The extra information will be the premise and the author's point will be the conclusion.

V21 ---> V40!

Kudos [?]: 784 [1], given: 64

Expert Post
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
G

Kudos [?]: 1555 [0], given: 399

GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: 340 Q170 V170

Show Tags

New post 25 May 2017, 19:10
merajul wrote:
I got confused between C & D. Can anybody help

Quote:
(C) the first states the position that the argument as a whole opposes; the second states the conclusion of the argument as a whole.

Here's the argument, rearranged somewhat:

• There has been a recent rise in Burton's inventory of finished products.
  • An increased inventory of finished products often indicates that production is outstripping demand.
  • But, in Burton's case, the increase in inventory is entirely attributable to products that have already been assigned to orders received from customers.
  • This implies that Burton's production is NOT outstripping demand and that there is no reason to slow production. This undermines the evidence cited by the investor, in support of the investor's position that the company is mismanaged.
  • Therefore, the investor's criticism of management is clearly not justified (conclusion).

The first boldfaced section, "the company is mismanaged", is the position of the prominent investor, not evidence to support the investor's position. The evidence cited to support that position is "the company's failure to slow production in response to a recent rise in its inventory of finished products", and this portion is not boldfaced.

The second boldfaced section, "in this case [the investor's sniping at management] is clearly not justified", does not undermine the evidence cited above ("the company's failure to slow production in response to a recent rise in its inventory of finished products"). Stating that the investor's sniping was not justified does not, by itself, undermine the evidence. Rather, the second portion is the conclusion of the author's argument.

Thus, choice (C) accurately expresses the roles of the two boldfaced portions.

GMAT Club Verbal Expert | GMAT/GRE tutor at www.gmatninja.com | GMAT blog |food blog | Friendly warning: I'm really bad at PMs

Beginners' guides to GMAT verbal
Reading Comprehension | Critical Reasoning | Sentence Correction

SC & CR Questions of the Day (QOTDs), featuring expert explanations
All QOTDs | Subscribe via email | RSS

Need an expert reply?
Hit the request verbal experts' reply button -- and please be specific about your question. Feel free to tag @GMATNinja and @GMATNinjaTwo in your post.

Sentence Correction articles & resources
How to go from great (760) to incredible (780) on GMAT SC | That "-ing" Word Probably Isn't a Verb | That "-ed" Word Might Not Be a Verb, Either | No-BS Guide to GMAT Idioms | "Being" is not the enemy | WTF is "that" doing in my sentence?

Reading Comprehension, Critical Reasoning, and other articles & resources
All GMAT Ninja articles on GMAT Club | Using LSAT for GMAT CR & RC |7 reasons why your actual GMAT scores don't match your practice test scores | How to get 4 additional "fake" GMAT Prep tests for $29.99... in any section order

YouTube verbal webinars:
"Next-level" GMAT pronouns | Uses of "that" on the GMAT | Parallelism and meaning

Kudos [?]: 1555 [0], given: 399

Current Student
B

Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GMAT Date: 07-23-2015
WE: Project Management (Energy and Utilities)

Show Tags

New post 25 May 2017, 21:09
GMATNinja wrote:
merajul wrote:
I got confused between C & D. Can anybody help

Quote:
(C) the first states the position that the argument as a whole opposes; the second states the conclusion of the argument as a whole.

Here's the argument, rearranged somewhat:

• There has been a recent rise in Burton's inventory of finished products.
  • An increased inventory of finished products often indicates that production is outstripping demand.
  • But, in Burton's case, the increase in inventory is entirely attributable to products that have already been assigned to orders received from customers.
  • This implies that Burton's production is NOT outstripping demand and that there is no reason to slow production. This undermines the evidence cited by the investor, in support of the investor's position that the company is mismanaged.
  • Therefore, the investor's criticism of management is clearly not justified (conclusion).

The first boldfaced section, "the company is mismanaged", is the position of the prominent investor, not evidence to support the investor's position. The evidence cited to support that position is "the company's failure to slow production in response to a recent rise in its inventory of finished products", and this portion is not boldfaced.

The second boldfaced section, "in this case [the investor's sniping at management] is clearly not justified", does not undermine the evidence cited above ("the company's failure to slow production in response to a recent rise in its inventory of finished products"). Stating that the investor's sniping was not justified does not, by itself, undermine the evidence. Rather, the second portion is the conclusion of the author's argument.

Thus, choice (C) accurately expresses the roles of the two boldfaced portions.

Thank You Sir. It's clear now.

Re: A prominent investor who holds a large stake in the Burton Tool compan   [#permalink] 25 May 2017, 21:09

Go to page   Previous    1   2   3   4    Next  [ 68 posts ] 

A prominent investor who holds a large stake in the Burton Tool compan

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap