Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 15:17 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 15:17

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 357 [349]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42103 [181]
Given Kudos: 422
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63658 [113]
Given Kudos: 1773
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Manhattan Prep Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 1484 [34]
Given Kudos: 6
Schools:Cornell (Bach. of Sci.), UCLA Anderson (MBA)
Send PM
Re: A proposal has been made to trim the horns from rhinoceroses to discou [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Generally, present perfect indicates actions that started in the past and are still going on.

An alternative use of present perfect is for things that happened in the past but are still true or for things that have ongoing effects.

Some examples:
(1) We have visited Torino in November and found it lovely, though cold.
This doesn't mean we are still visiting, nor that it is still November. It just means that at least once, we did visit in November, and that history is still (and will forever be) true.

(2) I have attached the documents to this cover sheet.
This doesn't mean I am still stapling the papers as I write or as the sentence is read...it just means the documents are still attached.

In your OG example, "have been trimmed" should be interpreted in this way--the zoo employees may not still be trimming the horns, but the horns are still short.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: CrackVerbal
Own Kudos [?]: 7626 [8]
Given Kudos: 215
Send PM
Re: A proposal has been made to trim the horns from rhinoceroses to discou [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Top Contributor
A proposal has been made to trim the horns from rhinoceroses to discourage poachers; the question is whether tourists will continue to visit game parks and see rhinoceroses after their horns are trimmed.

(A) whether tourists will continue to visit game parks and see rhinoceroses after their horns are

(B) whether tourists will continue to visit game parks to see one once their horns are

(C) whether tourists will continue to visit game parks to see rhinoceroses once the animals’ horns have been

(D) if tourists will continue to visit game parks and see rhinoceroses once the animals’ horns are

(E) if tourists will continue to visit game parks to see one after the animals’ horns have been

On the GMAT, “if” is used as a conditional. The question doesn’t talk about a condition but a probability. Eliminate options D and E.

The plural pronoun “their” in options A and B could lead to a potential ambiguity as there are two plural antecedents- “people” and “rhinoceroses”.

The use of the conjunction “and” in options A and D makes both the clauses separate/unrelated events. But the point is whether tourists will come to visit rhinoceros if the rhino’s horns have been trimmed. Hence the use of an infinitive “to see” is correct.
The use of the present perfect tense “have been trimmed” is more apt as we are talking about the impact of the action (trimming) in the present.

Option C is correct.

Vishnupriya
GMAT SME
Experts' Global Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 4683 [3]
Given Kudos: 38
GMAT Date: 11-01-2019
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
Dear Friends,

Here is a detailed explanation to this question-
diehard4 wrote:
A proposal has been made to trim the horns from rhinoceroses to discourage poachers; the question is whether tourists will continue to visit game parks and see rhinoceroses after their horns are trimmed.

(A) whether tourists will continue to visit game parks and see rhinoceroses after their horns are

(B) whether tourists will continue to visit game parks to see one once their horns are

(C) whether tourists will continue to visit game parks to see rhinoceroses once the animals’ horns have been

(D) if tourists will continue to visit game parks and see rhinoceroses once the animals’ horns are

(E) if tourists will continue to visit game parks to see one after the animals’ horns have been

Meaning is crucial to solving this problem:
Understanding the intended meaning is key to solving this question; the intended core meaning of this sentence is that the question is whether tourists will continue to visit game parks to see rhinoceroses once the animals’ horns have been rimmed.

Concepts tested here: Meaning + Verb Forms + Tenses + Pronouns + Idioms

A: Trap. This answer choice alters the meaning of the sentence through the phrase "visit game parks and see rhinoceroses"; the parallelism between "visit" and "see" incorrectly implies that the question is whether tourists will continue to visit game parks and, as a separate and parallel action, continue to see rhinoceroses; the intended meaning is that the question is whether tourists will continue to visit game parks for the purpose of seeing rhinoceroses; remember, if a phrase is subordinate to another in terms of importance (or sharing a cause-effect relationship), the phrases do not maintain parallelism. Further, Option A incorrectly uses the simple present tense verb "are trimmed" to refer to a hypothetical action that concluded in the past but continues to affect the present; please remember, the present perfect tense (marked by the use of the helping verb “has/have”) is used to describe events that concluded in the past but continue to affect the present, and the simple present tense is used to indicate actions taking place in the current time frame, indicate habitual actions, state universal truths, and convey information that is permanent in nature.

B: This answer choice incorrectly refers to the plural noun "rhinoceroses" with the singular pronoun "one". Further, Option B incorrectly uses the simple present tense verb "are trimmed" to refer to a hypothetical action that concluded in the past but continues to affect the present; please remember, the present perfect tense (marked by the use of the helping verb “has/have”) is used to describe events that concluded in the past but continue to affect the present, and the simple present tense is used to indicate actions taking place in the current time frame, indicate habitual actions, state universal truths, and convey information that is permanent in nature.

C: Correct. This answer choice avoids the pronoun error seen in Option B, as it uses no pronouns. Further, Option C uses the phrase "visit game parks to see rhinoceroses"; the use of the infinitive verb form ("to + base form of verb" - "to + see" in this sentence) conveys the intended meaning - that the question is whether tourists will continue to visit game parks for the purpose of seeing rhinoceroses; remember, the infinitive verb form ("to + base form of verb") is the preferred construction for referring to the purpose/intent of an action. Additionally, Option C correctly uses the present perfect tense verb "have been trimmed" to refer to a hypothetical action that concluded in the past but continues to affect the present. Besides, Option C correctly uses "whether" to present a set of alternatives.

D: This answer choice alters the meaning of the sentence through the phrase "visit game parks and see rhinoceroses"; the parallelism between "visit" and "see" incorrectly implies that the question is whether tourists will continue to visit game parks and, as a separate and parallel action, continue to see rhinoceroses; the intended meaning is that the question is whether tourists will continue to visit game parks for the purpose of seeing rhinoceroses; remember, if a phrase is subordinate to another in terms of importance (or sharing a cause-effect relationship), the phrases do not maintain parallelism. Further, Option D incorrectly uses the simple present tense verb "are trimmed" to refer to a hypothetical action that concluded in the past but continues to affect the present; please remember, the present perfect tense (marked by the use of the helping verb “has/have”) is used to describe events that concluded in the past but continue to affect the present, and the simple present tense is used to indicate actions taking place in the current time frame, indicate habitual actions, state universal truths, and convey information that is permanent in nature. Additionally, Option D incorrectly uses "if" to refer to a set of alternatives; please remember, “whether" is used for showing alternatives, and “if” is used to refer to phrases that lead to a “then” clause.

E: This answer choice incorrectly uses "if" to refer to a set of alternatives; please remember, “whether" is used for showing alternatives, and “if” is used to refer to phrases that lead to a “then” clause.

Hence, C is the best answer choice.

Additional Note: Please note that in this sentence, the action of trimming the horns is a hypothetical future action, but as the sentence is concerned with whether people will come to see the rhinos after the horns are trimmed, in the second clause of this sentence, this action is considered a past action.

To understand the concept of "Simple Tenses" on GMAT, you may want to watch the following video (~1 minute):

To understand the concept of "Present Perfect Tense" on GMAT, you may want to watch the following video (~1 minute):

To understand the concept of "If" vs "Whether" on GMAT on GMAT, you may want to watch the following video (~1 minute):

All the best!
Experts' Global Team
General Discussion
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 64 [4]
Given Kudos: 5
Schools:HEC
 Q49  V44
Send PM
Kudos
I answered it in another way: The question to me is much rather whether "tourists come to the park and see rhinoceroses" or whether "tourists come to the park to see rhinoceroses". I think this answer (C) conveys the message much better and resolves the pronoun problem (their) as well.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 74 [9]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Kudos
diehard4 wrote:
21. A proposal has been made to trim the horns from rhinoceroses to discourage poachers; the question is whether tourists will continue to visit game parks and see rhinoceroses after their horns are trimmed.

Two step process:
Step 1:
Gottesschaf wrote:
I answered it in another way: The question to me is much rather whether "tourists come to the park and see rhinoceroses" or whether "tourists come to the park to see rhinoceroses". I think this answer (C) conveys the message much better

This is good thinking. For example, "I went to the store and saw Mary" means I had no intention of seeing her and she happened to be there. "I went to the store to see Mary" means I knew Mary would be at the store and the purpose of my trip was to see her.
In our sentence the question is whether tourists will make a trip with the purpose of seeing the rhinos (not if the tourists will accidentally see rhinos). A and D - crossed off.

Step 2: As mentioned before, the pronoun "their" is a little ambiguous, as is the use of "one" in B and E. "One" needs to be much clearer. Here it could refer to "one" rhino or "one" horn. B and E - crossed off.
Answer: C
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 919 [0]
Given Kudos: 78
Schools:ABCD
Send PM

A) whether tourists will continue to visit game parks and see rhinoceroses after their horns are
B) whether tourists will continue to visit game parks to see one once their horns are
C) whether tourists will continue to visit game parks to see rhinoceroses once the animals' horns have been
D) if tourists will continue to visit game parks and see rhinoceroses once the animals' horns are
E) if tourists will continue to visit game parks to see one after the animals' horns have been

OA C

All:
I know that D and E can be rejected because of usage of "if"

Among A, B and C, B and A are rejected for lack of antecedents. I am not looking for the correct answer. I want to understand why "horns have been" is a correct usage. In other words, via is present perfect better than present tense ("are trimmed")

Any help is appreciated.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Status:Impossible is not a fact. It's an opinion. It's a dare. Impossible is nothing.
Affiliations: University of Chicago Booth School of Business
Own Kudos [?]: 892 [1]
Given Kudos: 123
Send PM
Kudos
The proposal is still in effect (still true) from the past. Hence present perfect.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 71 [3]
Given Kudos: 17
Send PM
Kudos