Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 16:23 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 16:23

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manhattan Prep Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 7775 [1]
Given Kudos: 55
GMAT 2: 780  Q50  V50
Send PM
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 846 [0]
Given Kudos: 381
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
GMAT 1: 650 Q49 V29
GPA: 3.81
Send PM
Target Test Prep Representative
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Own Kudos [?]: 5137 [1]
Given Kudos: 1431
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V51
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Given Kudos: 314
Schools: Simon '25
Send PM
Re: A proposal has been made to trim the horns from rhinoceroses to discou [#permalink]
GMATNinja wrote:
Quote:
(A) whether tourists will continue to visit game parks and see rhinoceroses after their horns are

(A) has a couple of subtle little problems. For starters, I don’t think the phrase “…will continue to visit game parks and see rhinoceroses…” is quite right in this case. Grammatically, it’s fine: “visit” and “see” are parallel verbs. Trouble is, that suggests that the two actions are somehow equally weighted, and not necessarily related: tourists visit game parks, and tourists see rhinos, but maybe not at the same time.

So the phrasing in (A) isn't WRONG, exactly, but it’s not ideal: the intent of the sentence is to question whether tourists will continue to visit game parks TO SEE rhinos. And we have that option in some of the other answer choices.

You could also argue that the pronoun “their” is potentially ambiguous. It could refer to the rhinos or the tourists or the poachers, and only the rhinos would make sense, since tourists and poachers rarely trim their own horns. And again, pronoun ambiguity isn’t an absolute rule (more on that in this video), but we’ll have better options in a moment.

If you wanted to be conservative, you could keep (A), but the problems in (A) will be fixed in another answer choice.

Quote:
(B) whether tourists will continue to visit game parks to see one once their horns are

(B) includes the phrase “visit game parks to see [a rhino]…”, and that makes more sense than the parallel structure we saw in (A).

Trouble is, now the pronouns are worse. You could argue that “one” is a little bit ambiguous because it’s so far from “rhinoceroses”, but I can live with that – I don’t think it’s unclear, even if it isn’t awesome. But the “their” is definitely an issue: the nearest plurals are “game parks” and “tourists”, and neither of those are likely to have their horns trimmed. “Their” logically needs to refer to “rhinoceroses”, but that word is a long way from the pronoun now. That’s not cool.

So (B) is out.

Quote:
(C) whether tourists will continue to visit game parks to see rhinoceroses once the animals’ horns have been

(C) fixes all of the problems and imperfections of (A) and (B). We have “…continue to visit game parks to see rhinoceroses…”, and that’s better than the parallel version in (A). The pronoun has been completely removed, so now we have “once the animals’ horns have been trimmed” – and that’s clear as a bell.

Let’s keep (C).

Quote:
(D) if tourists will continue to visit game parks and see rhinoceroses once the animals’ horns are

(D) has the same parallelism problem as (A): “visit game parks and see rhinos” makes less sense than “visit game parks TO see rhinos.” See the explanation for (A) for more on this issue.

The GMAT also tends to frown on the use of “if” in situations like these. The GMAT seems to think that “if” can only be used for “if/then” (conditional) statements, but NOT for situations like this sentence, when the intent is just to indicate that two different alternatives are possible (e.g., visiting vs. not visiting game parks). I think that’s a silly thing for the GMAT to test, but who cares what I think?

The shorter version: if you’re given a choice between “if” and “whether” on the GMAT, then you’ll almost certainly want to choose “whether.”

So (D) is out.

Quote:
(E) if tourists will continue to visit game parks to see one after the animals’ horns have been

The only major problem in (E) is the use of “if.” See (D) for more on that issue.

So (E) is gone, and we’re left with (C).

Hello GMATNinja
Thanks for the detailed explanation. However, I have a query regarding pronoun ambiguity. You mentioned in option A that "their" could refer to rhinos or tourists or poachers and eventually eliminated tourists and poachers saying that only rhinos make sense since rhinos have horns.
So, I wanted to know when do we say that there's pronoun ambiguity? Is it when there are more than 1 contenders (nouns) for a pronoun and all or some of them make sense
OR
Can we say that there's pronoun ambiguity even if there are multiple nouns but only 1 of them is contender because only this 1 contender makes sense (like in this option A)?
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63668 [1]
Given Kudos: 1774
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Re: A proposal has been made to trim the horns from rhinoceroses to discou [#permalink]
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
SDW2 wrote:
GMATNinja wrote:
...You could also argue that the pronoun “their” is potentially ambiguous. It could refer to the rhinos or the tourists or the poachers, and only the rhinos would make sense, since tourists and poachers rarely trim their own horns. And again, pronoun ambiguity isn’t an absolute rule (more on that in this video), but we’ll have better options in a moment....

Hello GMATNinja
Thanks for the detailed explanation. However, I have a query regarding pronoun ambiguity. You mentioned in option A that "their" could refer to rhinos or tourists or poachers and eventually eliminated tourists and poachers saying that only rhinos make sense since rhinos have horns.
So, I wanted to know when do we say that there's pronoun ambiguity? Is it when there are more than 1 contenders (nouns) for a pronoun and all or some of them make sense
OR
Can we say that there's pronoun ambiguity even if there are multiple nouns but only 1 of them is contender because only this 1 contender makes sense (like in this option A)?

Unfortunately it's impossible to draw a clear line between acceptable pronoun ambiguity and unacceptable pronoun ambiguity. And I certainly wasn't trying to say that it's okay to have multiple potential referents IF AND ONLY IF exactly one of them makes sense. As long as you have multiple potential referents, you can technically argue that there is SOME ambiguity.

Now if all but one of those referents is completely illogical, that certainly makes the ambiguity LESS of an issue. But again, it's impossible to draw a clear line in the sand.

The takeaway is that pronoun ambiguity is not a bulletproof reason for eliminating an answer choice. But if you are comparing two choices (i.e. choice (A) and choice (C) in this question) and only one of those two has an ambiguous pronoun, then you might have a vote in favor of the choice that avoids that ambiguity.

More broadly, you always want to consider clarity of meaning. If pronoun ambiguity makes the meaning unclear in one choice but not in another, you likely have a vote against the first one.

Sorry for the somewhat ambiguous (haha?) response... but unfortunately there are no black and white rules for this sort of thing. I know: it's maddening, but that's the GMAT for you. :?

And if you want a maddening full video on GMAT pronouns, here it is.

I hope that helps a bit!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 48 [0]
Given Kudos: 180
Concentration: Operations, General Management
Schools: IIMA PGPX'23
GMAT 1: 640 Q49 V27
GPA: 4
WE:Engineering (Manufacturing)
Send PM
egmat wrote:
EducationAisle wrote:
SidKaria wrote:
ravi's car broke down,so he walked back to the hotel.

here he has no referent.As ravi's car is mentioned but ravi is not mentioned.

On a separate note, it is interesting to note that there are at least a couple of examples in OG, where the pronoun in question does not have any direct referent, but still GMAT considers it acceptable. So, GMAT seems to be permissive in this regard.

#109, OG-13:

Among the objects found in the excavated temple were small terra-cotta effigies left by supplicants who were either asking the goddess Bona Dea's aid in healing physical and mental ills or thanking her for such help.

This is the correct answer, though there is no explicit referent of her. The silver lining is that all 5 answer choices use her, so you don't really have to choose an option based on this.

Hi there,

There is absolutely no problem and certainly no exception in this official question.

Please note that "her" is a Possessive Pronoun. Henec, it can very well refer to another Noun Entity in Poessessive form. This is the reason why all the answer choices use "her" because it clearly refers to the Noun Entity "Bona Dea's" that is in possessive case. In fact, Possessive Pronouns can also refer to non-possessive Noun entity in a sentence. For example:

Dia brought her dog to the exhibition. --> Here, "her" correctly refers to "Dia", a non-possessive Noun Entity.

OG13 Q#109 would have been incorrect if it had used the Pronoun "she" to refer to "Bona Dea's" because a non-possessive pronoun CANNOT refer to a Noun in Possessive Form.

Let's take a look at another official sentence where this usage is correct:

In her later poems, Phyllis Wheatley's blending of solar imagery, Judeo-Christian thought and figures, and images borrowed from ancient classicism suggests her range and depth of influences, not the least of which is her African heritage.

In this one, "her" refers to "Phyllis Whetley's", a Possesive Noun Entity. In fact, one of the answer choices uses the pronoun "she" and stands incorrect because "she", a non-possesive pronoun, CANNOT refer to possessive noun entity.

Hope this helps. :-)
Thanks.
SJ

Hi egmat

In my understanding,

Subject case pronoun: She
Object case pronoun: Her
Possessive adjective: Her
Possessive pronoun: Hers

Now in the mentioned example, 'Her' is clearly not a possessive adjective, so it has to be an object case pronoun.
Therefore "Incompatibility of the case between pronoun and noun is not an absolute rule" on GMAT.

please confirm my understanding.
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 3528 [1]
Given Kudos: 149
Schools: ISB
GPA: 3.31
Send PM