It is currently 21 Oct 2017, 20:15

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

A proposal has been made to trim the horns from rhinoceroses

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 29

Re: A proposal has been made to trim the horns from rhinoceroses [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 Nov 2016, 19:14
Hi experts,

in this case, I totally got that perfect past "have been trimmed" reveals the earlier action than visit.
out of curiosity, Is the present tense "are" , which is earlier than future tense " will visit" , valid in A if focus on only tense ?( please point out which one is better , only tense or tense only :) )

I have another correct present - future sentence from MANHATTAN SC guide P129.
The scientist BELIEVES that the machine WILL BE wonderful.
here, BELIEVES is present tense, and WILL BE is future tense.

genuinely want your confirmation.

have a nice day
>_~

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 29

Manager
Manager
S

Kudos [?]: 21 [0], given: 508

GPA: 3.2
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 07 Nov 2016, 12:43
Still confused over A and C. I think pronoun ambiguity is not an issue here because humans cannnot have horns. Daagh well explained the difference between present perfect and present, however we do not know that information about whether the zoo plans to cut horns in a day or over a period of time. Experts, please elaborate whether there is further reasoning to picking C over A.

Kudos [?]: 21 [0], given: 508

Expert Post
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
G

Kudos [?]: 8459 [0], given: 102

Show Tags

New post 11 Nov 2016, 17:32
zoezhuyan wrote:
Hi experts,

in this case, I totally got that perfect past "have been trimmed" reveals the earlier action than visit.
out of curiosity, Is the present tense "are" , which is earlier than future tense " will visit" , valid in A if focus on only tense ?( please point out which one is better , only tense or tense only :) )

I have another correct present - future sentence from MANHATTAN SC guide P129.
The scientist BELIEVES that the machine WILL BE wonderful.
here, BELIEVES is present tense, and WILL BE is future tense.

genuinely want your confirmation.

have a nice day
>_~

Dear zoezhuyan,

How are you my friend? This is a perceptive question, and I am happy to answer! :-)

Let's ignore (A), which is wrong, and just focus on changing (C), the OA.
original (C): whether tourists will continue to visit game parks to see rhinoceroses once the animals' horns have been trimmed.
modified (C): whether tourists will continue to visit game parks to see rhinoceroses once the animals' horns are trimmed.
Both of these are 100% correct. It might be argued that the first is a little more elegant, a little more nuanced, but that's a stylistic concern. In terms of what would be correct on the GMAT SC, both of these are absolutely flawless.

Either the simple present tense or the present perfect tense or the present progressive tense can be used to indicate an event before the time of any future tense event.

Does all this make sense?

Have a lovely weekend! :-)

Mike :-)

Mike McGarry
Magoosh Test Prep

Education is not the filling of a pail, but the lighting of a fire. — William Butler Yeats (1865 – 1939)

Kudos [?]: 8459 [0], given: 102

VP
VP
S

Kudos [?]: 159 [0], given: 916

Show Tags

New post 06 Dec 2016, 01:20
daagh wrote:
The difference between ‘have been trimmed’ and ‘are trimmed’ is that trimming is a one –time job and not a daily chore. An event that was done in the past and which or whose effect is still carried through the present will have to be expressed in present perfect, while daily chores will have to be verbed with just present tense. So 'have been trimmed' is the preferred expression

the difference between present simple and present perfect is hard but basic. gmat test us this point a lot.
present simple shows habit, status and timeless fact while present perfect show an action going to present or an action finished in the part but its result is relative to present. we need to review some pages in grammar books. but dont study grammar much. it is dangerous to study too much grammar because gmat test just basic grammar not hard grammar

very cool explation above, thank you diaagh

visit my facebook to help me.
on facebook, my name is: thang thang thang

VP
VP
S

Show Tags

New post 06 Dec 2016, 01:21
daagh wrote:
The difference between ‘have been trimmed’ and ‘are trimmed’ is that trimming is a one –time job and not a daily chore. An event that was done in the past and which or whose effect is still carried through the present will have to be expressed in present perfect, while daily chores will have to be verbed with just present tense. So 'have been trimmed' is the preferred expression

the difference between present simple and present perfect is hard but basic. gmat test us this point a lot.
present simple shows habit, status and timeless fact while present perfect show an action going to present or an action finished in the part but its result is relative to present. we need to review some pages in grammar books. but dont study grammar much. it is dangerous to study too much grammar because gmat test just basic grammar not hard grammar

very cool explation above, thank you diaagh

visit my facebook to help me.
on facebook, my name is: thang thang thang

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G

Kudos [?]: 52 [0], given: 1

Concentration: Finance, Strategy
WE: Investment Banking (Venture Capital)

Show Tags

New post 23 Mar 2017, 16:59
A proposal has been made to trim the horns from rhinoceroses to discourage poachers; the question is whether tourists will continue to visit game parks and see rhinoceroses after their horns are trimmed.

A) whether tourists will continue to visit game parks and see rhinoceroses after their horns are -- "their" = ambiguous pronoun. Tourists or rhinos? Also, "and see" is unidiomatic (see A/C "D")
B) whether tourists will continue to visit game parks to see one once their horns are -- same as "A"
C) whether tourists will continue to visit game parks to see rhinoceroses once the animals' horns have been
D) if tourists will continue to visit game parks and see rhinoceroses once the animals' horns are -- unidiomatic. Tourists will visit parks TO SEE.
E) if tourists will continue to visit game parks to see one after the animals' horns have been -- "one" = ambiguous. same as "A"

In case its not clear, answer = C

* This question tests ambiguous pronouns and idioms

Kudos please if helpful :)

Kudos [?]: 52 [0], given: 1

VP
VP
D

Kudos [?]: 1183 [0], given: 415

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 03 May 2017, 07:17
diehard4 wrote:
The Official Guide for GMAT Review 2016

Practice Question
Question No.: 92
Page: 691

A proposal has been made to trim the horns from rhinoceroses to discourage poachers; the question is whether tourists will continue to visit game parks and see rhinoceroses after their horns are trimmed.

(A) whether tourists will continue to visit game parks and see rhinoceroses after their horns are
(B) whether tourists will continue to visit game parks to see one once their horns are
(C) whether tourists will continue to visit game parks to see rhinoceroses once the animals’ horns have been
(D) if tourists will continue to visit game parks and see rhinoceroses once the animals’ horns are
(E) if tourists will continue to visit game parks to see one after the animals’ horns have been

First Glance

The sentence contains a semicolon but the underline is limited only to the second half. DO read the first half, as it will provide context for the intended meaning.

Issues

(1) Meaning, and

You might spot this in the original sentence or via a direct comparison of answers (A) and (B):

(A) tourists will continue to visit parks and see rhinoceroses
(B) tourists will continue to visit parks to see rhinoceroses

The X and Y structure in answer (A) does not require the two parallel portions to have anything to do with one another. Consider this example: tourists will continue to visit the pyramids in Egypt and see the Taj Mahal in India. Tourists will continue to do these two things, but the X and Y portions don't have anything to do with each other.

Similarly, in the original sentence, if the actions visit game parks and see rhinoceroses are connected by the word and, then they are completely separate. This doesn't make logical sense. The tourists visit the parks in order to see the rhinoceroses. Eliminate answers (A) and (D).

(2) Pronoun: theirs; one

Some answers use the pronoun their while others use the animals' instead. Other answers change rhinoceroses to one.

The pronoun their is ambiguous; it could refer to rhinoceroses or tourists. Consider this example: these tourists will travel to foreign countries and meet new people after their visas are approved. Whose visas need to get approved? The tourists, not the new people ─ the tourists are the ones who are traveling.

Because their could refer to tourists (it should refer to rhinoceroses), answer (A) is ambiguous. Answer (B) repeats this error; eliminate both.

Answer (B) and (E) replace rhinoceroses with the pronoun one. First it's ok to use one to refer to a plural noun; this construction just means one of those. One of what, though? Logically, one rhinoceros makes sense, but maybe the question is whether tourists will continue to see poachers after the poachers have been discouraged from killing the rhinos ─ that's also a reasonable interpretation. The word one, then, is ambiguous. Eliminate answer (B) and (E).

(3) Verb: are

A vertical scan of the end of each answer choice reveals a split between present tense are and past perfect have been. Are both acceptable?

Verb tenses convey a time frame for an action and indicate when different actions happen relative to one another. In this sentence, the trimming of the horns must happen before a possible visit by tourists, so the simple present tense is inappropriate. The present perfect have been properly indicates that, at the time of a potential tourist visit, the horns must already have been trimmed. Eliminate answers (A), (B), and (D).

The Correct Answer

Correct answer (C) fixes the initial pronoun error by replacing their with the animals'. Furthermore, the sentence changes the X and Y construction to one with a more logical meaning: the tourists visit parks to see rhinoceroses.

Miscellaneous

Nowadays, whether and if are mostly used interchangeably. Formally, though, whether is used to indicate the meaning whether or not: Tell me whether you plan to go to the movies ─ I want to know whether you do or whether you don't. On the other hand, if is used for if-then (conditional) clauses: If you buy me an ice cream, I'll be happy.

To date, no published official questions have used if in a correct answer choice when the meaning technically matches the word whether. The official answer explanations, however, don't actually mention this issue. If you need to guess, don't pick an answer that uses if when the meaning is really whether or not.

"Be challenged at EVERY MOMENT."

“Strength doesn’t come from what you can do. It comes from overcoming the things you once thought you couldn’t.”

"Each stage of the journey is crucial to attaining new heights of knowledge."

Rules for posting in verbal forum | Please DO NOT post short answer in your post!

Kudos [?]: 1183 [0], given: 415

Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 1

Show Tags

New post 29 Jun 2017, 04:50

(A) whether tourists will continue to visit game parks and see rhinoceroses after their horns are
(B) whether tourists will continue to visit game parks to see one once their horns are
(C) whether tourists will continue to visit game parks to see rhinoceroses once the animals’ horns have been
(D) if tourists will continue to visit game parks and see rhinoceroses once the animals’ horns are
(E) if tourists will continue to visit game parks to see one after the animals’ horns have been

"whether" must be used instead of "if" because "If" is used in conditionals which is not the case above and "whether" used when there is an option b/w two choices - D & E out
"visit game parks to see rhinoceroses" is clearly preferred over "visit game parks and see rhinoceroses" because we are talking about purpose of visiting the parks to see rhinos, - A out
Finally "one" does not agree with "their" subject-verb disagreement - B out
In option C present perfect "have been trimmed" is correctly used because we are talking about rhinos horns that were trimmed but its affect is observed in the present

NOTE: I am not an expert, therefore my analysis answering the questions may be incorrect and may not be relied upon. However I will appreciate if you can correct the mistakes I may have made in my analysis.

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 1

VP
VP
G

Kudos [?]: 69 [0], given: 534

Concentration: Operations, Marketing
GMAT 1: 670 Q48 V36
GRE 1: 314 Q157 V157
GPA: 3.4
WE: Manufacturing and Production (Manufacturing)

Show Tags

New post 29 Jun 2017, 09:13
Imo C whether tourists will continue to visit game parks to see rhinoceroses once the animals’ horns have been
We have to use whether for probability .
If is use for conditions .
Them is ambiguous in other options.

We are more often frightened than hurt; and we suffer more from imagination than from reality

Kudos [?]: 69 [0], given: 534

Director
Director
G

Kudos [?]: 220 [0], given: 186

Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GPA: 3.5
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 13 Sep 2017, 13:37

"Nothing in this world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not: nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not: the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent."

Worried About IDIOMS? Here is a Daily Practice List: https://gmatclub.com/forum/idiom-s-ydmuley-s-daily-practice-list-250731.html#p1937393

Best AWA Template: https://gmatclub.com/forum/how-to-get-6-0-awa-my-guide-64327.html#p470475

Kudos [?]: 220 [0], given: 186

Re: A proposal has been made to trim the horns from rhinoceroses   [#permalink] 13 Sep 2017, 13:37

Go to page   Previous    1   2   3   [ 50 posts ] 

A proposal has been made to trim the horns from rhinoceroses

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap