It is currently 16 Dec 2017, 18:37

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Teachers in this country have generally been trained either to approac

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 0

Teachers in this country have generally been trained either to approac [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 03 Mar 2012, 00:41
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

35% (medium)

Question Stats:

66% (00:42) correct 34% (00:50) wrong based on 337 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Teachers in this country have generally been trained either to approach mathematics like a creative activity or that they should force students to memorize rules and principles without truly understanding how to apply them.

(A) to approach mathematics like a creative activity or that they should force students to memorize rules and principles
(B) to approach mathematics like a creative activity or to force students to memorize rules and principles
(C) to approach mathematics as a creative activity or to force students to memorize rules and principles
(D) that they should approach mathematics as a creative activity or to force students to memorize rules and principles
(E) that they should approach mathematics like a creative activity or that they should force students to memorize rules and principles

[Reveal] Spoiler:
I chose choice B over the correct choice C.
I don't really understand the explanation from manhattan, so would anyone please help clarify with other explanation?
As I googled I found a thread in this board about LIKE vs AS answered by a manhattan's instructor saying:

A few rules of thumb:
(1) you should have two verbs in a sentence with an As comparison, one verb in a sentence with a Like comparison.

But I think this rule doesn't work with this question, or did I misunderstand something?
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 18

Concentration: Strategy, Economics
GMAT Date: 07-17-2015
GPA: 3.57
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Teachers in this country have generally been trained either to approac [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 03 Mar 2012, 00:47
It's C. If you say the teachers approached blah blah like something, you're implying they're the creative activity.

Life with the GMAT:

Jerome: Ben, c'est 20 secondes de plus qu'hier sur le meme parcours! C'etait bien le meme parcours la, non?!
Gigi: Mais t'enerve pas, Jerome, je crois que t'as accroche une porte.
Jerome: *$&#(*%&(*#%&

Last edited by FatRiverPuff on 03 Mar 2012, 00:54, edited 1 time in total.

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 18

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 8 [1], given: 0

Re: Teachers in this country have generally been trained either to approac [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 03 Mar 2012, 00:51
This post received
KUDOS
I came across choice B because I understand that it is the 'mathematics' that is compared to 'creativity activiy'.

Kudos [?]: 8 [1], given: 0

3 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 9 [3], given: 18

Concentration: Strategy, Economics
GMAT Date: 07-17-2015
GPA: 3.57
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 03 Mar 2012, 01:02
This post received
KUDOS
Ohjung wrote:
I came across choice B because I understand that it is the 'mathematics' that is compared to 'creativity activiy'.

Choice B sounds fine colloquially; if you said it "in real life" no one would notice it's grammatically incorrect. The teachers are approaching math AS a creative activity and not LIKE a creative activity (the teachers themselves aren't the creative activity because that makes no sense). It's like saying they approached the task of approaching mathematics in the form of human creative activities.

That's how I figured it out, anyway.

Okay, you know Madonna's song "Like a Virgin"? If it had been named "As a Virgin" the meaning would have changed.

Another example. "I climbed the mountain like a madman" You are the madman. All good. BUT if you say "I climbed the mountain as (...I would...) a madman", you're saying the mountain is the madman.

Life with the GMAT:

Jerome: Ben, c'est 20 secondes de plus qu'hier sur le meme parcours! C'etait bien le meme parcours la, non?!
Gigi: Mais t'enerve pas, Jerome, je crois que t'as accroche une porte.
Jerome: *$&#(*%&(*#%&

Kudos [?]: 9 [3], given: 18

2 KUDOS received
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 200 [2], given: 37

Show Tags

New post 03 Mar 2012, 05:57
This post received
KUDOS
+1 for C.

The operating word here is "[trained to ]approach mathematics " and not "mathematics". The usage of "as" is to indicate "approach creative activity in the same way as you approah mathematics.".

Mathematics is like creative activity . (Correct, here we are comparing mathematics to creative activity).

The dog is trained to treat human being as its friend. (Also correct , though as is between two nouns, the operating word is "trained to treat" ).

Crick

Kudos [?]: 200 [2], given: 37

Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 1170 [0], given: 39

Show Tags

New post 03 Mar 2012, 07:59
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Like - used to compare two nouns. As - used to compare two clauses. (A clause is a phrase that includes a verb).

During an ice age, the buildup of ice at the poles and the drop in water levels near the equator speed up the Earth’s rotation, like a spinning figure skater whose speed increases when her arms are drawn in.

(A) like a spinning figure skater whose speed increases when her arms are drawn in
(B) like the increased speed of a figure skater when her arms are drawn in
(C) like a figure skater who increases speed while spinning with her arms drawn in
(D) just as a spinning figure skater who increases speed by drawing in her arms
(E) just as a spinning figure skater increases speed by drawing in her arms

Ans. E

More than thirty years ago Dr. Barbara McClintock, the Nobel Prize winner, reported that genes can “jump” as pearls moving mysteriously from one necklace to another.

(A) as pearls moving mysteriously from one necklace to another
(B) like pearls moving mysteriously from one necklace to another
(C) as pearls do that move mysteriously from one necklace to others
(D) like pearls do that move mysteriously from one necklace to others
(E) as do pearls that move mysteriously from one necklace to some other one

Ans. B

Collections:-
PSof OG solved by GC members: http://gmatclub.com/forum/collection-ps-with-solution-from-gmatclub-110005.html
DS of OG solved by GC members: http://gmatclub.com/forum/collection-ds-with-solution-from-gmatclub-110004.html
100 GMAT PREP Quantitative collection http://gmatclub.com/forum/gmat-prep-problem-collections-114358.html
Collections of work/rate problems with solutions http://gmatclub.com/forum/collections-of-work-rate-problem-with-solutions-118919.html
Mixture problems in a file with best solutions: http://gmatclub.com/forum/mixture-problems-with-best-and-easy-solutions-all-together-124644.html

Kudos [?]: 1170 [0], given: 39

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 03 Mar 2012, 17:55
Thanks everyone, this really helps me a lot! :-D
So in summary, I should think about the meaning of the sentence:
Teachers have been trained to approach mathematics as (they would approach) creative activity.
And for this one:
More than thirty years ago Dr. Barbara McClintock, the Nobel Prize winner, reported that genes can “jump” as pearls moving mysteriously from one necklace to another.
It is because genes (like pearl) can jump.
Does this logic makes sense?

Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 200 [0], given: 37

Show Tags

New post 03 Mar 2012, 19:09
Ohjung wrote:
Thanks everyone, this really helps me a lot! :-D
So in summary, I should think about the meaning of the sentence:
Teachers have been trained to approach mathematics as (they would approach) creative activity.
And for this one:
It is because genes (like pearl) can jump.
Does this logic makes sense?

Most of the times it would be easy to figure out the difference based on the following rule:

1) Like - used to indicate similarity between two nouns/noun phrases.
2) As - used to indicate similarity between two actions ; used to compare two clauses. (A clause is a phrase that includes a verb).

If you are totally stumped check out the meaning :) .

Crick

Kudos [?]: 200 [0], given: 37

1 KUDOS received
Retired Moderator
P
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying

Kudos [?]: 8356 [1], given: 366

WE: Education (Education)

Show Tags

New post 04 Mar 2012, 06:12
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
It might be worthwhile to note the multi dimensional role of this diminutive word as

1. Conjunction:

1. To the same degree or quantity that. Often used as a correlative after so or as: The situation is not as bad as you suggest.
2. In the same manner or way that: Please do as I say.
3. At the same time that; while; I slipped on the ice as I ran home.
4. For the reason that, because: I went to bed early, as I was exhausted.

5. Though: A great actor as he was, he proved a bad model.
6. In accordance with which or with the way in which: The hotel is quite comfortable as such establishments go. The climate is hot in May as everyone knows.

In conjunctional use, you may see the two- verb rule in play mostly.

2. Preposition:
1. in the role, capacity, or function of: I am advising you as a GMAT faculty.
2. In a manner similar to, the same as on the issue of globalization, we all think as one.

Now we may see tht the two-verb rule disappears in a prepositional use, since a noun has to always follow a preposition

In addition, there are adverbial and pronoun uses of as, which are less relevant.(source:the freedictionary.com)

E&OE

Can you solve at least some SC questions without delving into the initial statement?

Narendran 98845 44509

Kudos [?]: 8356 [1], given: 366

Non-Human User

Kudos [?]: 277 [0], given: 0

Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 27 Oct 2013, 11:02
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.

Non-Human User

Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 28 Apr 2015, 09:03

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.

Non-Human User

Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 15 Oct 2017, 04:09

Director
Director
P

Kudos [?]: 113 [0], given: 46

Show Tags

New post 15 Oct 2017, 06:09
Hi GMATNinja , GMATNinjaTwo .

Please help in figuring out "like vs as" distinction in this question .

2 KUDOS received
D

Kudos [?]: 490 [2], given: 113

Concentration: General Management, Technology
GMAT 1: 540 Q45 V20
GPA: 2.49
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Premium Member CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 15 Oct 2017, 06:47
This post received
KUDOS
sobby wrote:
Hi GMATNinja , GMATNinjaTwo .

Please help in figuring out "like vs as" distinction in this question .

Hi sobby,

Sorry neither Charles nor Michael here ;) but here are my 2 cents :grin:

As is used in two ways:

#1. Comparison (AS + Clause): Both of the following sentences are correct.

I study like a pro. (like is followed by a noun)
I study as a pro does. (as is followed by a clause)

#2. To present a function/Role (AS+NOUN): There is no comparison you see in the following sentence. As tells Sobby's role at google.
Sobby is working in Google as VP-Operations India.

In the question at hand:
DO you think Mathematics is COMPARED with creative activity here? NO. so it means there is no comparison. so no usage of like or as from the comparison perspective is required.

Mathematics as a creative activity is an example of #2nd type.

TakeAway: This question tries to teach us the the USAGE OF AS "TO PRESENT THE ROLE/FUCNTION".

Hope your doubt is clear.

---------------------------------------------------------------
Target - 720-740
http://gmatclub.com/forum/information-on-new-gmat-esr-report-beta-221111.html
http://gmatclub.com/forum/list-of-one-year-full-time-mba-programs-222103.html

Kudos [?]: 490 [2], given: 113

Director
Director
P

Show Tags

New post 15 Oct 2017, 08:00
Hi HKD1710..

Thanks for explanation..I thought maths is like creative activity..so was baffled seeing as here..
It's clear now.
Bdw I like the google example..

Posted from my mobile device

Posted from my mobile device

Re: Teachers in this country have generally been trained either to approac   [#permalink] 15 Oct 2017, 08:00

Teachers in this country have generally been trained either to approac

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap