Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 05:45 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 05:45

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 79 [78]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
CR Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 15266 [24]
Given Kudos: 26
Schools:
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE:Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 4928 [13]
Given Kudos: 690
Concentration: Accounting
Send PM
General Discussion
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [0]
Given Kudos: 18
Concentration: Strategy, Economics
GMAT Date: 07-17-2015
GPA: 3.57
Send PM
Re: Teachers in this country have generally been trained either to approac [#permalink]
It's C. If you say the teachers approached blah blah like something, you're implying they're the creative activity.

Originally posted by FatRiverPuff on 03 Mar 2012, 01:47.
Last edited by FatRiverPuff on 03 Mar 2012, 01:54, edited 1 time in total.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 79 [1]
Send PM
Re: Teachers in this country have generally been trained either to approac [#permalink]
Kudos
I came across choice B because I understand that it is the 'mathematics' that is compared to 'creativity activiy'.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [5]
Given Kudos: 18
Concentration: Strategy, Economics
GMAT Date: 07-17-2015
GPA: 3.57
Send PM
Kudos
Ohjung wrote:
I came across choice B because I understand that it is the 'mathematics' that is compared to 'creativity activiy'.

Choice B sounds fine colloquially; if you said it "in real life" no one would notice it's grammatically incorrect. The teachers are approaching math AS a creative activity and not LIKE a creative activity (the teachers themselves aren't the creative activity because that makes no sense). It's like saying they approached the task of approaching mathematics in the form of human creative activities.

That's how I figured it out, anyway.

Okay, you know Madonna's song "Like a Virgin"? If it had been named "As a Virgin" the meaning would have changed.

Another example. "I climbed the mountain like a madman" You are the madman. All good. BUT if you say "I climbed the mountain as (...I would...) a madman", you're saying the mountain is the madman.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 538 [3]
Given Kudos: 37
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
+1 for C.

The operating word here is "[trained to ]approach mathematics " and not "mathematics". The usage of "as" is to indicate "approach creative activity in the same way as you approah mathematics.".

Mathematics is like creative activity . (Correct, here we are comparing mathematics to creative activity).

The dog is trained to treat human being as its friend. (Also correct , though as is between two nouns, the operating word is "trained to treat" ).

Crick
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 79 [0]
Send PM
Thanks everyone, this really helps me a lot! :-D
So in summary, I should think about the meaning of the sentence:
Teachers have been trained to approach mathematics as (they would approach) creative activity.
And for this one:
More than thirty years ago Dr. Barbara McClintock, the Nobel Prize winner, reported that genes can “jump” as pearls moving mysteriously from one necklace to another.
It is because genes (like pearl) can jump.
Does this logic makes sense?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 538 [1]
Given Kudos: 37
Send PM
Kudos
Ohjung wrote:
Thanks everyone, this really helps me a lot! :-D
So in summary, I should think about the meaning of the sentence:
Teachers have been trained to approach mathematics as (they would approach) creative activity.
And for this one:
More than thirty years ago Dr. Barbara McClintock, the Nobel Prize winner, reported that genes can “jump” as pearls moving mysteriously from one necklace to another.
It is because genes (like pearl) can jump.
Does this logic makes sense?

Most of the times it would be easy to figure out the difference based on the following rule:

1) Like - used to indicate similarity between two nouns/noun phrases.
2) As - used to indicate similarity between two actions ; used to compare two clauses. (A clause is a phrase that includes a verb).

If you are totally stumped check out the meaning :) .

Crick
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42104 [7]
Given Kudos: 422
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
It might be worthwhile to note the multi dimensional role of this diminutive word as

1. Conjunction:

1. To the same degree or quantity that. Often used as a correlative after so or as: The situation is not as bad as you suggest.
2. In the same manner or way that: Please do as I say.
3. At the same time that; while; I slipped on the ice as I ran home.
4. For the reason that, because: I went to bed early, as I was exhausted.

5. Though: A great actor as he was, he proved a bad model.
6. In accordance with which or with the way in which: The hotel is quite comfortable as such establishments go. The climate is hot in May as everyone knows.

In conjunctional use, you may see the two- verb rule in play mostly.

2. Preposition:
1. in the role, capacity, or function of: I am advising you as a GMAT faculty.
2. In a manner similar to, the same as on the issue of globalization, we all think as one.

Now we may see tht the two-verb rule disappears in a prepositional use, since a noun has to always follow a preposition

In addition, there are adverbial and pronoun uses of as, which are less relevant.(source:the freedictionary.com)

E&OE
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1551 [0]
Given Kudos: 342
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
GPA: 3.93
WE:Account Management (Education)
Send PM
Quote:
Teachers in this country have generally been
trained either to approach mathematics like a
creative activity or that they should force students
to memorize rules and principles without truly
understanding how to apply them.
a)to approach mathematics like a creative activity
or that they should force students to memorize
rules and principles
b)to approach mathematics like a creative activity
or to force students to memorize rules and
principles
c)to approach mathematics as a creative activity or
to force students to memorize rules and principles
d)that they should approach mathematics as a
creative activity or to force students to memorize
rules and principles
e)that they should approach mathematics like a
creative activity or that they should force students
to memorize rules and principles

No one has been able to explain why "as" is used instead of "like".
According to Magoosh, “like" is useful for comparing nouns, but not useful for comparing actions."
Noun was compared above. Woznit?

Posted from my mobile device
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 362 [0]
Given Kudos: 54
GMAT 1: 700 Q50 V34
GPA: 3.76
Send PM
Hi GMATNinja , GMATNinjaTwo .

Please help in figuring out "like vs as" distinction in this question .
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 3803 [2]
Given Kudos: 182
Concentration: General Management, Technology
GMAT 1: 540 Q45 V20
GPA: 2.49
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
Kudos
sobby wrote:
Hi GMATNinja , GMATNinjaTwo .

Please help in figuring out "like vs as" distinction in this question .

Hi sobby,

Sorry neither Charles nor Michael here ;) but here are my 2 cents :grin:

As is used in two ways:

#1. Comparison (AS + Clause): Both of the following sentences are correct.

I study like a pro. (like is followed by a noun)
I study as a pro does. (as is followed by a clause)

#2. To present a function/Role (AS+NOUN): There is no comparison you see in the following sentence. As tells Sobby's role at google.
Sobby is working in Google as VP-Operations India.

In the question at hand:
DO you think Mathematics is COMPARED with creative activity here? NO. so it means there is no comparison. so no usage of like or as from the comparison perspective is required.

Mathematics as a creative activity is an example of #2nd type.

TakeAway: This question tries to teach us the the USAGE OF AS "TO PRESENT THE ROLE/FUCNTION".

Hope your doubt is clear.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 362 [0]
Given Kudos: 54
GMAT 1: 700 Q50 V34
GPA: 3.76
Send PM
Hi HKD1710..

Thanks for explanation..I thought maths is like creative activity..so was baffled seeing as here..
It's clear now.
Bdw I like the google example..

Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 148
GMAT 1: 600 Q47 V27
GRE 1: Q160 V150
GPA: 2.7
Send PM
egmat. Can you help here as vs like?

Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 124 [1]
Given Kudos: 132
GPA: 3.59
WE:Sales (Retail)
Send PM
Teachers in this country have generally been trained either to approac [#permalink]
Kudos
Teachers in this country have generally been trained either to approach mathematics like a creative activity or that they should force students to memorize rules and principles without truly understanding how to apply them.

Quick analysis:
1. Parallelism error: either to approach.... or that....: is not parallel.
2. Idiom error: to approach mathematic like a creative activity... "Like" should be replaced by "As". since the sentence is not comparing mathematic with creative activity. Rather, It is saying that teachers have been trained to approach mathematics as to approach a creative activity (math is functioning as a creative activity). This is a little bit tricky if one just glance over without pausing in order to understand the meaning.

Quote:
(A) to approach mathematics like a creative activity or that they should force students to memorize rules and principles
`
2. Idiom error: to approach mathematic like a creative activity... "Like" should be replaced by "As".
Quote:
(B) to approach mathematics like a creative activity or to force students to memorize rules and principles

2. Idiom error: to approach mathematic like a creative activity... "Like" should be replaced by "As".
Quote:
(C) to approach mathematics as a creative activity or to force students to memorize rules and principles

Correct:
1. To approach is parallel to To force.
2. "like" is replaced with "as"
Quote:
(D) that they should approach mathematics as a creative activity or to force students to memorize rules and principles

1. Parallelism error: either that .... to force....: is not parallel.
Quote:
(E) that they should approach mathematics like a creative activity or that they should force students to memorize rules and principles

Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 124 [0]
Given Kudos: 132
GPA: 3.59
WE:Sales (Retail)
Send PM
Teachers in this country have generally been trained either to approac [#permalink]
prags1989 wrote:
egmat. Can you help here as vs like?

Hi prags1989,

1. Like: used to compare two nouns.
2. As: used to compare two clause.

If you stop just right here, then the question can trick you to the wrong answer because there is another usage of "as". That is: to show that the noun accompanied by "as" is acting as a role, or a function. For example.

- I like you as a friend.
- As a president of the U.S., Mr. Trump has been trying to do everything he can to protect our country.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 70 [0]
Given Kudos: 342
Send PM
Teachers in this country have generally been trained either to approach mathematics like a creative activity or that they should force students to memorize rules and principles without truly understanding how to apply them.

Parallelism - either ..or.. must have same parts of speech

Split 1 . Like vs As
Like is used to compare nouns
As is used to compare verbs

(A) to approach mathematics like a creative activity or that they should force students to memorize rules and principles pronoun error.. . They can refer back to students or teachers. Also use of like is incorrect

(B) to approach mathematics like a creative activity or to force students to memorize rules and principles use of like is incorrect

(C) to approach mathematics as a creative activity or to force students to memorize rules and principles correct

(D) that they should approach mathematics as a creative activity or to force students to memorize rules and principles not parallel

(E) that they should approach mathematics like a creative activity or that they should force students to memorize rules and principles unnecessarily wordy . Also use of like is incorrect

Answer c
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6920 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts