GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 17 Aug 2018, 00:24

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

A random 10-letter code is to be formed using the letters A, B, C, D,

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Math Expert
V
A random 10-letter code is to be formed using the letters A, B, C, D,  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 30 Oct 2014, 09:39
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

55% (hard)

Question Stats:

62% (01:08) correct 38% (01:16) wrong based on 237 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Tough and Tricky questions: Combinations.

A random 10-letter code is to be formed using the letters A, B, C, D, E, F, G, H, I and I (only the “I” will be used twice). What is the probability that a code that has the two I’s adjacent to one another will be formed?

(A) 1/10
(B) 1/8
(C) 1/5
(D) 1/4
(E) 1/2

New to the Math Forum?
Please read this: Ultimate GMAT Quantitative Megathread | All You Need for Quant | PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 12 Rules for Posting!!!

Resources:
GMAT Math Book | Triangles | Polygons | Coordinate Geometry | Factorials | Circles | Number Theory | Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets | PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders | GMAT Prep Software Analysis | SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) | Tricky questions from previous years.

Collection of Questions:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.

What are GMAT Club Tests?
Extra-hard Quant Tests with Brilliant Analytics

Most Helpful Community Reply
Manager
Manager
Schools: IIMC (A)
GMAT 1: 720 Q50 V38
GPA: 2.6
WE: Information Technology (Consulting)
Reviews Badge
Re: A random 10-letter code is to be formed using the letters A, B, C, D,  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 30 Oct 2014, 17:53
Bunuel wrote:

A random 10-letter code is to be formed using the letters A, B, C, D, E, F, G, H, I and I (only the “I” will be used twice). What is the probability that a code that has the two I’s adjacent to one another will be formed?

(A) 1/10
(B) 1/8
(C) 1/5
(D) 1/4
(E) 1/5

Total number of combinations possible = \(10!/2!\)
Total favorable combinations = \(9!\) - We have considered the two Is as one element. Since we have two Is, they can interchange their positions, without affecting the code.

Probability = \(9!/(10!/2!) = 9!*2!/10! = 1/5\)

Give KUDOS if the post helps you... :-D

General Discussion
Manager
Manager
GMAT Date: 01-08-2015
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: A random 10-letter code is to be formed using the letters A, B, C, D,  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 Jan 2015, 11:38
Thoughtosphere wrote:
Bunuel wrote:

(A) 1/10
(B) 1/8
(C) 1/5
(D) 1/4
(E) 1/5

Total number of combinations possible = \(10!/2!\)
Total favorable combinations = \(9!\) - We have considered the two Is as one element. Since we have two Is, they can interchange their positions, without affecting the code.

Probability = \(9!/(10!/2!) = 9!*2!/10! = 1/5\)

did you calculate the number of favorable outcomes with 8!*9?

or how did you calculate them?
Math Expert
V

Show Tags

New post 23 Jan 2016, 09:17
Bunuel wrote:

(A) 1/10
(B) 1/8
(C) 1/5
(D) 1/4
(E) 1/2

we have 9 different letters and one of these is being used twice..

total ways code can be formed= 10!/2!..
10! because there are total 10 letters..
and div by 2! to cancel out repetitions, which are due to two 'I's...

take two Is together as one letter, remaining are 8 letters.. total 9.
ways =9!...

prob=9!/{10!/2!} = 9!2!/10!
2/10=1/5
C

1) Absolute modulus : http://gmatclub.com/forum/absolute-modulus-a-better-understanding-210849.html#p1622372
2)Combination of similar and dissimilar things : http://gmatclub.com/forum/topic215915.html
3) effects of arithmetic operations : https://gmatclub.com/forum/effects-of-arithmetic-operations-on-fractions-269413.html

GMAT online Tutor

Director
Director
G
Concentration: Marketing, International Business
Schools: HBS '19
GMAT 1: 770 Q51 V44
GPA: 4
WE: Education (Education)

Show Tags

New post 05 Jan 2017, 21:11
To find the probability of forming a code with two adjacent I’s, we must find the total number of such codes and divide by the total number of possible 10-letter codes.
The total number of possible 10-letter codes is equal to the total number of anagrams that can be formed using the letters ABCDEFGHII, that is 10!/2! (we divide by 2! to account for repetition of the I's).

To find the total number of 10 letter codes with two adjacent I’s, we can consider the two I’s as ONE LETTER. The reason for this is that for any given code with adjacent I’s, wherever one I is positioned, the other one must be positioned immediately next to it. For all intents and purposes, we can think of the 10 letter codes as having 9 letters (I-I is one). There are 9! ways to position 9 letters.

Probability = (# of adjacent I codes) / (# of total possible codes)
= 9! ÷ (10! / 2! ) = ( 9!2! / 10! ) = (9!2! / 10(9!) ) = 1/5
The correct answer is C.

Thanks & Regards,
Anaira Mitch

Manager
Manager
B

Show Tags

New post 10 Jul 2018, 08:19
10!/2! ways to arrange 10 letters <--- remember da formula
9! ways to arrange with "II" as 1 letter

9! * 2!/10! = 1/5
Answer C
Re: A random 10-letter code is to be formed using the letters A, B, C, D, &nbs [#permalink] 10 Jul 2018, 08:19

A random 10-letter code is to be formed using the letters A, B, C, D,

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Events & Promotions

PREV
NEXT

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap