Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 19:21 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 19:21

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 156 [21]
Given Kudos: 36
GMAT 1: 700 Q51 V34
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 23 [11]
Given Kudos: 221
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V38
GPA: 3.94
WE:Operations (Health Care)
Send PM
General Discussion
Manhattan Prep Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 7775 [4]
Given Kudos: 55
GMAT 2: 780  Q50  V50
Send PM
Own Kudos [?]: 7775 [3]
Send PM
A recent article in The New York Times [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
It's true that technically, we can use either present or past perfect (have or had) when we describe one past action that precedes another. However, it's important to understand that we don't usually need to use past perfect. If we have more than one past action, we can use past perfect to indicate that one action preceded the other. However, just because we can use past perfect doesn't mean we should. Typically, we will only do this if a) the sequence matters and b) the prior action is over. This sentence meets neither of those criteria. If we read an article about something, clearly that thing occurred before the article was written, so there's no need to clarify the sequence. Additionally, since this article describes a current trend, presumably college graduates continue to make this decision. (If the article described a decision that were made at one point in time, such as the decision of a jury, past perfect would make more sense.) This renders the past perfect completely inappropriate here. The use of "had" is incorrect in this context.

It's worth noting that this is a poor and rather transparent rewrite of an official GMAT question: https://gmatclub.com/forum/a-recent-stu ... 73334.html

Notice that the original makes things clearer with a modifier ("within the past few years") that makes the use of the past perfect absolutely impossible. It also opens with the present perfect, although it's possible for a recent study to "have found" something out about the past, the present, or even the future. In other words, opening with the present perfect doesn't force the other verbs to be in the present perfect.

By the way, pulkitaggi, you're right that we don't need to use tense to get to E. Only E has the parallel form "to move . . . rather than face."
Own Kudos [?]: 7775 [3]
Send PM
Re: A recent article in The New York Times [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
juanito1985, they're right about "instead of." It should only be used to compare nouns. To compare actions, we need "rather than."
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 156 [2]
Send PM
Kudos
XboX wrote:
pulkitaggi wrote:
A recent article in The New York Times reported that many recent college graduates had decided on moving back into their parents’ home rather than face the uncertainty and expense of the rental market.

A) had decided on moving back into their parents’ home rather than face
B) had decided on moving back into their parents’ homes instead of facing
C) have decided to move back into their parents’ homes instead of facing
D) had decided to move back into their parents’ homes rather than facing
E) have decided to move back into their parents’ homes rather than face

OA will be shared post discussion :) :)

Split 1

Had vs Have
Past perfect does not make sense here.

Had decided means the action of deciding happened before. Though, the sentence does not clarify before what. Did it happen before the article reported. Does not make sense to say that.

So we can eliminate A, B, D

Split 2

instead of vs rather than

instead of needs to have a noun - not the case here
rather than is flexible and can be followed by noun/clause/verb

So correct choice is E

Lets wait for others to response, before I post the answer.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 156 [2]
Send PM
Kudos
In fact I just found another question on GMAT verbal review - https://gmatclub.com/forum/a-march-2000 ... 81147.html

The OE for this is that both HAD or HAS could have been right in option B, depending on when the Question was made and on whether the fact is true today also or not.
GMATNinja Sir can both "had" and "have" be right on the original question??
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 117 [1]
Given Kudos: 103
Send PM
Kudos
pulkitaggi wrote:
A recent article in The New York Times reported that many recent college graduates had decided on moving back into their parents’ home rather than face the uncertainty and expense of the rental market.

the decision is taken and the effect is still there,,,past perfect is not required...

C and E left...
in C ,,instead of facing is incorrect,,,should e simple past,,,

E wins,,,

whats the OA
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 156 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
mohshu and XboX, Yes your answers are correct. I have added the OA to the question.

Purpose of posting this question was to understand sequence of tense. Since we are third person telling something that was reported by TIMEs- we should push all the tenses one step in past. But the Present perfect is tricky to push. mohshu is right that since the effect is still there we should use have. if the actual statement from TIMEs was that " the student decided ...." the answer would have " HAD " in it.

Right?
Own Kudos [?]: 7775 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Vinodhini1803
Easy explanation: someone fed you a fake rule. ;)

The difference between "decide to" and "decide on" is really a matter of how "to" and "on" work, and has nothing to do with the number of possibilities. You can decide to do something or decide on a course of action, whether there are many options or just one.

So what's the difference? The "to" in "decide to" is part of an infinitive verb. We need a verb to complete the phrase. The "on" creates a modifier, and we need to know "on what." So "decide on" is completed by a noun (typically an action noun, but not always).

Short version:
decide to + verb
decide on + noun
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 566 [0]
Given Kudos: 755
Concentration: Operations, Marketing
GMAT 1: 670 Q48 V36
GRE 1: Q157 V157
GPA: 3.4
WE:Engineering (Manufacturing)
Send PM
pulkitaggi wrote:

Use of had is wrong in A, B and D is wrong
E is correct
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 156 [0]
Send PM
A recent article in The New York Times [#permalink]
arvind910619 wrote:
pulkitaggi wrote:

Use of had is wrong in A, B and D is wrong
E is correct

Hi, Thank you for your response. Can you elaborate on use of HAD from sequence of tense point of view. I understand E is correct, but we can figure E out without the HAVE/HAD split.
I am quoting an example from Manhattan SC-
Scientist: " the supercollider is ready, it did not cost too much, and it will provide new insight into the working of the universe".
Report : The scientist ANNOUNCED that the the supercollider WAS ready, it HAD not COST too much, and it WOULD provide new insight into the working of the universe

Now in the original example -
New York Times :" Many recent college graduates have decided to move back into their parents’ home rather than face the uncertainty and expense of the rental market"
Report /Third person : New york times reported that many recent college graduates HAVE/HAD decided to move back into their parents’ home rather than face the uncertainty and expense of the rental market.

Now because we dont know was the third person quoting new york times after several years of the report or just the next day, and because we dont know is the decision made by graduates still true or not, we can use both HAVE/HAD depending on the context and reality.

GMATNinja Sir can you help on this topic?
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Sir I have a doubt on the usage of HAVE/HAD, from sequence of tenses point of view. IMO both should be right.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 156 [1]
Send PM
DmitryFarber wrote:
Typically, we will only do this if a) the sequence matters and b) the prior action is over. This sentence meets neither of those criteria

I am sorry just one clarification -

Students decide <---------1 step in past----- New york time reports the news <-------1 step in past---- I am telling what new york time reported yesterday

I was thinking in this term. Using Tense Sequence topic on Manhattan SC, I thought Sequence will matter here. I agree that truth about prior action that- is the students decision still valid or not,is not known. And for that reason I think both HAVE/HAD should be right.

Eg.
Scientist: " Supercollider has not cost a penny to our organisation"
Report: The scientist announced that supercollider HAS/HAD not cost a penny to their organisation.

In this only HAS will be correct? Maybe I am reporting ,what scientist announced, after 10 years, when we all know supercollider actually had cost billions of dollars to their organisation, and scientist was actually hiding some facts :roll: :roll:

We inherently know that what new york time is reporting cannot happen after new york time reports it. But can we argue this statement on the similar ground as the above example?

Sorry, to stretch on this topic. I think I made a similar mistake on my GMAT paper. And I believe all this confusion is because of this question's OE https://gmatclub.com/forum/a-march-2000 ... 81147.html ... And I dont want to repeat this. ( OE - says both has / had is right in option B) :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 34 [0]
Given Kudos: 25
Send PM
In this sentence "had" is incorrect as it is used to describe something which happened in the past. In this sentence we are talking about something which is happening at present. That is why "have" should be used. From this we can eliminate options A, B and D.
Now we are left with C and E. In option C, "have decided to move back into .." is not parallel with "facing". "instead of" can keep nouns in parallel, not verbs. So we can't use "instead of" in this case where we are dealing with verbs.
In option E, "have" is being used correctly and also "move" is parallel with "face". In the idiom form, "X rather than Y", "X" and "Y" should be parallel.
So answer is E.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 65
Schools: IMD '20
GMAT 1: 570 Q42 V27
GPA: 2.9
Send PM
XboX wrote:
pulkitaggi wrote:

Split 1

Had vs Have
Past perfect does not make sense here.

Had decided means the action of deciding happened before. Though, the sentence does not clarify before what. Did it happen before the article reported. Does not make sense to say that.

So we can eliminate A, B, D

Split 2

instead of vs rather than

instead of needs to have a noun - not the case here
rather than is flexible and can be followed by noun/clause/verb

So correct choice is E

I don´t see why you say that instead of needs to have a noun here...instead of is perfectly correct. The problem is that facing with expense
Manager
Manager
Send PM
DmitryFarber wrote:
pulkitaggi, what I'm getting at with past perfect is that simply having a sequence isn't enough to require the use of past perfect. There needs to be a clear reason to build that sequence into the sentence. In the supercollider example, it's a bit different. Since the scientist is assessing the cost of the supercollider up to that point, past perfect makes sense. In fact, if we wanted to emphasize that the supercollider will continue to cost nothing, we'd probably shift into simple present: "The scientist announced that the supercollider does not cost a penny to their organization." In the original question, students are presumably still deciding to move back with their parents. There's no reason to assume that that trend has completely ended. (Again, the official question makes this much more clear. That's why it's always better to study from official SC questions.)

The example in your link is definitely a well-justified use of the present perfect. The verb phrase "has contributed" isn't even part of some previous description; rather, it's part of a modifier describing Mexico's share. The author is telling us directly right now that the amount is the largest that any country has contributed since 1980. We could use past perfect here, but only if we wanted to emphasize that this was the case in 2000 and might not be the case now.

The simple takeaway is this: NEVER assume that sequenced past events require the use of the past perfect. That is a necessary condition for past perfect, but not a sufficient one. In other words, every use of past perfect must have sequenced past events, but not every sentence about sequenced past events must use the past perfect. In some cases, it's simply not needed, and in other cases, it's really wrong. There are many ways to talk about past events, depending on what our intended meaning is and which ideas we're trying to emphasize. If you want to delve into another case in which we can talk about past, present, and future in different ways depending on what we want to emphasize, check out my post here: https://gmatclub.com/forum/industry-ana ... l#p1898602

Thank you sir. Now I am able to make much more sense.
My takeaway- Sequence of tense is not a sufficient condition. If the sentence do make sense without the use of past perfect- then that answer should be preferred. Also in the original question The graduate decision activity has not yet ended.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 65
Schools: IMD '20
GMAT 1: 570 Q42 V27
GPA: 2.9
Send PM
DmitryFarber wrote:
juanito1985, they're right about "instead of." It should only be used to compare nouns. To compare actions, we need "rather than."

Thank you for the clarification!
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 396 [1]
Given Kudos: 2198
Send PM
decide on somthing
is correct. not decide on doing

both had done and have done is correc , I think
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 23 [0]
Given Kudos: 251
Concentration: Technology, Marketing
Send PM
Hi Can experts clarify on idiom 'Decide on'
I have read somewhere in the forum that :
Decide on - When you have to options either do or not do
Decide to - when you have more than two option and you choose one among them
here there are only two options. How is decide to correct in the correct answer?
DmitryFarber GMATNinja Abhi077
GMAT Club Bot
 1   2   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6920 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts