GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 14 Dec 2018, 18:39

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Events & Promotions in December
PrevNext
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
2526272829301
2345678
9101112131415
16171819202122
23242526272829
303112345
Open Detailed Calendar
  • Typical Day of a UCLA MBA Student - Recording of Webinar with UCLA Adcom and Student

     December 14, 2018

     December 14, 2018

     10:00 PM PST

     11:00 PM PST

    Carolyn and Brett - nicely explained what is the typical day of a UCLA student. I am posting below recording of the webinar for those who could't attend this session.
  • Free GMAT Strategy Webinar

     December 15, 2018

     December 15, 2018

     07:00 AM PST

     09:00 AM PST

    Aiming to score 760+? Attend this FREE session to learn how to Define your GMAT Strategy, Create your Study Plan and Master the Core Skills to excel on the GMAT.

A recent examination of the waters of the Southern Ocean showed a subs

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
Manager
Manager
avatar
G
Joined: 16 May 2016
Posts: 190
Location: India
Concentration: Marketing, Healthcare
GPA: 3.5
WE: Analyst (Consulting)
CAT Tests
A recent examination of the waters of the Southern Ocean showed a subs  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 08 Aug 2018, 03:56
1
2
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

  85% (hard)

Question Stats:

49% (01:20) correct 51% (01:37) wrong based on 111 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

A recent examination of the waters of the Southern Ocean showed a substantial increase in pollution levels, which is usually caused by routine oil spills during industrial drilling operations in the area. Last month, an article published in the biannual newsletter of a prominent environmental organization attributed this increase to the operations of Gaston Inc., an oil company with several large deep-water drilling operations. This claim is not undermined by the finding that none of Gaston Inc.’s oil plants in the Southern Ocean had any oil spills, because ____________.

A. most increases in the pollution levels of oceans take place because of deep-water drilling operations

B. oil usually floats several feet below the surface of the ocean rather than at the surface itself

C. pollutants that enter the ocean sometimes take decades to affect the marine environment

D. tankers that transport oil from drilling plants to offshore locations often develop leaks

E. calculated amounts of oil are sometimes deliberately discarded by oil plants to maintain water pressure in the area surrounding the plant

_________________

Not Giving UP! Kudos if you like the question :)


Originally posted by Cbirole on 06 Aug 2018, 21:51.
Last edited by nightblade354 on 08 Aug 2018, 03:56, edited 2 times in total.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
P
Joined: 18 Jun 2018
Posts: 252
Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: A recent examination of the waters of the Southern Ocean showed a subs  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 07 Aug 2018, 21:49
Cbirole wrote:
A recent examination of the waters of the Southern Ocean showed a substantial increase in pollution levels, which is usually caused by routine oil spills during industrial drilling operations in the area. Last month, an article published in the biannual newsletter of a prominent environmental organization attributed this increase to the operations of Gaston Inc., an oil company with several large deep-water drilling operations. This claim is not undermined by the finding that none of Gaston Inc.’s oil plants in the Southern Ocean had any oil spills, because ____________.

A.most increases in the pollution levels of oceans take place because of deep-water drilling operations

B
oil usually floats several feet below the surface of the ocean rather than at the surface itself

C
pollutants that enter the ocean sometimes take decades to affect the marine environment

tankers that transport oil from drilling plants to offshore locations often develop leaks

E
calculated amounts of oil are sometimes deliberately discarded by oil plants to maintain water pressure in the area surrounding the plant


broall nightblade354

Why option E is wrong?
CR & LSAT Forum Moderator
User avatar
P
Status: He came. He saw. He conquered. -- Studying for the LSAT -- Corruptus in Extremis
Joined: 31 Jul 2017
Posts: 416
Location: United States
Concentration: Finance, Economics
Reviews Badge
A recent examination of the waters of the Southern Ocean showed a subs  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 Aug 2018, 04:09
1
Bismarck wrote:
Cbirole wrote:
A recent examination of the waters of the Southern Ocean showed a substantial increase in pollution levels, which is usually caused by routine oil spills during industrial drilling operations in the area. Last month, an article published in the biannual newsletter of a prominent environmental organization attributed this increase to the operations of Gaston Inc., an oil company with several large deep-water drilling operations. This claim is not undermined by the finding that none of Gaston Inc.’s oil plants in the Southern Ocean had any oil spills, because ____________.

A.most increases in the pollution levels of oceans take place because of deep-water drilling operations

B
oil usually floats several feet below the surface of the ocean rather than at the surface itself

C
pollutants that enter the ocean sometimes take decades to affect the marine environment

tankers that transport oil from drilling plants to offshore locations often develop leaks

E
calculated amounts of oil are sometimes deliberately discarded by oil plants to maintain water pressure in the area surrounding the plant


broall nightblade354

Why option E is wrong?


They key to (E) being wrong lies within the word "sometimes". What if they dump once every 10,000 years? Further, please note that answer (E) highlights only "oil plants" and does not specify if it is Gaston's. This could imply it is other companies dumping all together and Gaston is innocent.

Does this help?
_________________

D-Day: November 18th, 2017

Need a laugh and a break? Go here: https://gmatclub.com/forum/mental-break-funny-videos-270269.html

Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 13 May 2017
Posts: 18
Reviews Badge
Re: A recent examination of the waters of the Southern Ocean showed a subs  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 Aug 2018, 03:01
nightblade354 :

E is not the answer because pollution has increased. Had it remained the constant than E can be considered as the answer.
CR & LSAT Forum Moderator
User avatar
P
Status: He came. He saw. He conquered. -- Studying for the LSAT -- Corruptus in Extremis
Joined: 31 Jul 2017
Posts: 416
Location: United States
Concentration: Finance, Economics
Reviews Badge
Re: A recent examination of the waters of the Southern Ocean showed a subs  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 Aug 2018, 03:56
ankur909090 wrote:
nightblade354 :

E is not the answer because pollution has increased. Had it remained the constant than E can be considered as the answer.


While I appreciate your answer, I disagree. It says that the amounts are standard, but timing is not. So one year they dump 50 times, another they may do it once. This would increase the amount and decrease the amount in any given year. If the oil levels hadn't risen, I still do not see (E) as a viable option.

I firmly believe this is a poor question for a multitude of reasons, but my reasoning behind it is as sound as it can be for this type of question.
_________________

D-Day: November 18th, 2017

Need a laugh and a break? Go here: https://gmatclub.com/forum/mental-break-funny-videos-270269.html

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
G
Joined: 29 Dec 2017
Posts: 384
Location: United States
Concentration: Marketing, Technology
GMAT 1: 630 Q44 V33
GMAT 2: 690 Q47 V37
GMAT 3: 710 Q50 V37
GPA: 3.25
WE: Marketing (Telecommunications)
A recent examination of the waters of the Southern Ocean showed a subs  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 Aug 2018, 09:17
nightblade354 wrote:
ankur909090 wrote:
nightblade354 :

E is not the answer because pollution has increased. Had it remained the constant than E can be considered as the answer.


While I appreciate your answer, I disagree. It says that the amounts are standard, but timing is not. So one year they dump 50 times, another they may do it once. This would increase the amount and decrease the amount in any given year. If the oil levels hadn't risen, I still do not see (E) as a viable option.

I firmly believe this is a poor question for a multitude of reasons, but my reasoning behind it is as sound as it can be for this type of question.


E is wrong because in this case spills would be around the oil plants (we are given that spills are not near the plant). But we still need to show that the increase in production leads to increase in polution. More production -> more tankers needed -> More oil spills that are far away from the plants. Option D.
GMAT Club Bot
A recent examination of the waters of the Southern Ocean showed a subs &nbs [#permalink] 09 Aug 2018, 09:17
Display posts from previous: Sort by

A recent examination of the waters of the Southern Ocean showed a subs

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.