Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 02:52 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 02:52

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 287 [31]
Given Kudos: 25
Concentration: Leadership, Technology
GPA: 3.5
WE:Engineering (Telecommunications)
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 706 [12]
Given Kudos: 67
Concentration: General Management
GPA: 3.9
Send PM
General Discussion
Intern
Intern
Affiliations: ISB, IIM, IIIT
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 26
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 120 [4]
Given Kudos: 64
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
Re: A recent generation of historians of science, far from portraying acce [#permalink]
Kudos
Quote:
Can you please explain why C is correct in the first question not the A?

awasthiji, ykhanna

If you read the 1st sentence of para 2:
While this rejection of the traditional belief that scientific views are objective reflections of the world may be fashionable, it is deeply implausible.

This sentence means --> the the act of rejection is implausible (unreasonable / failing to convince). This sentence doesn't refer to scientific truth, it refers to act of rejection.

The first line of para 3: However, science’s accumulation of lasting truths about the world is not by any means a straightforward matter.

we can clearly interpret from above line that accumulation of truth is not straightforward -->this is exactly what the option C states:
(C) It is rarely obvious and transparent.(meaning not straightforward)

all other choices are not correct OR related to 'truth'.

i hope this clarifies.

---
give kudos even if you disagree
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 530 [0]
Given Kudos: 4092
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 660 Q49 V31
GMAT 2: 620 Q47 V30
GMAT 3: 650 Q48 V31
GPA: 3.1
WE:Corporate Finance (Non-Profit and Government)
Send PM
Re: A recent generation of historians of science, far from portraying acce [#permalink]
Cinematiccuisine wrote:
Quote:
Can you please explain why C is correct in the first question not the A?

awasthiji, ykhanna

If you read the 1st sentence of para 2:
While this rejection of the traditional belief that scientific views are objective reflections of the world may be fashionable, it is deeply implausible.

This sentence means --> the the act of rejection is implausible (unreasonable / failing to convince). This sentence doesn't refer to scientific truth, it refers to act of rejection.

The first line of para 3: However, science’s accumulation of lasting truths about the world is not by any means a straightforward matter.

we can clearly interpret from above line that accumulation of truth is not straightforward -->this is exactly what the option C states:
(C) It is rarely obvious and transparent.(meaning not straightforward)

all other choices are not correct OR related to 'truth'.

i hope this clarifies.

---
give kudos even if you disagree

Hi !!

How is the last para a prescription ?
Prescription per me ---- a solution to some problem in the views of new historians.
Also is this not a 700+ passage ?
Im so confused with social science passages. Any pointers ?

Regards
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 931 [0]
Given Kudos: 632
Concentration: Strategy, Operations
GPA: 3.6
WE:Operations (Consumer Products)
Send PM
nrrb

Quote:
Passage summary:
Para 1: what RECENT historians are doing
They find suppot to their views from some philos
Though they both DONT share alot of views they share some

para 2: author disagrees with the above presented view

para 3: Though author agrees with some points made by philos the conclusion given by philos in the 1st para is not idea !!
author says "process" is important

para 4:makes a concluding statement and offers a suggestion to histruans !!!

Quote:
passage map: POV
support to POV
Author's POV( cchallenge)
Author's argumnet
Author's conclusion and suggestion
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 931 [0]
Given Kudos: 632
Concentration: Strategy, Operations
GPA: 3.6
WE:Operations (Consumer Products)
Send PM
10. In the third paragraph of the passage, the author is primarily concerned with

The passage flow is:
POV-- support to POV-- cunter POV-- support to counter POV-- conclusion and suggestion

The claim made in the first para was :
"These historians seem to find allies in certain philosophers of science who argue that scientific views are not imposed by reality but are free inventions of creative minds, and that scientific claims are never more than brave conjectures, always subject to inevitable future falsification"

Now the author in third para agrees that at some later point the earlier discoveried are revised , he disagrees with the point that "free inventions of creative minds and that scientist claim are never more than brave"

He says that the discoveries are refined everytime and a new thesis is formed which is later refined again . BUT using words such as "never" and "alwasy subject to falsibfication" are a STRETCH. That is why author porvides a qualifying(limiting)POV towards the philosopher's claim !!

(A) presenting conflicting explanations for a phenomenon- author rather agrees with some points of philos but at the end limits them. HE does not presnet CONFLICTING POINTS HE QUALIFIES(LIMITS THEIR EXTENT)

(B) suggesting a field for possible future research
- total crap

(C) qualifying a previously expressed point of view

(D) providing an answer to a theoretical question
-no question asked

(E) attacking the assumptions that underlie a set of beliefs
- Tempting !!! but the philos do not assume anything; they just make plain claims abou the beleifes
also he never "Attacks" ..he is limiting the broad scope of the conclusions made by the historians and philos
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Kinldy provide explanation for 4th question
As the highlighted sentence represents a person who would question those facts about world functioning but it doesnot directly discredit ....
When we connect " i don't believe" to this part than it would have discredited any person
GRE Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 32858 [1]
Given Kudos: 5775
GPA: 3.62
Send PM
A recent generation of historians of science, far from portraying acce [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
Explanation

4. The use of the words “any serious-minded and informed person’ (Highlighted) serves which one of the following functions in the context of the passage?

Difficulty Level: 700

Explanation

These words are used in the context of an attack on those historians of science who argue that scientific observations aren’t based on objective reality. Hence, the words serve to discredit their view.

(A) “Earlier notions about the composition of water” are never mentioned in the passage. The author refers to current beliefs about water’s composition simply in order to make the point that some scientific truths will never be falsified, not to contrast it with outdated notions.

(B) The author is not critical of philosophers of science.

(C) and (D) are au contraire choices. The author supports the traditional view of scientific objectivity, (C), and is in sympathy with those who hold this view, (D).

Whenever a question stem cites a line reference, read the lines around that reference carefully. That’s where the answer lies.

Answer: E

Hope it helps

Changrayy wrote:
Kinldy provide explanation for 4th question
As the highlighted sentence represents a person who would question those facts about world functioning but it doesnot directly discredit ....
When we connect " i don't believe" to this part than it would have discredited any person
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 112 [0]
Given Kudos: 122
Send PM
A recent generation of historians of science, far from portraying acce [#permalink]
Can someone please explain why in question no 6 B is wrong?
GRE Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 32858 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
DiyaDutta wrote:
Can someone please explain why in question no 6 B is wrong?

Explanation

6. Which one of the following best characterizes the author’s assessment of the opinions of the new historians of science, as these opinions are presented in the passage?

Explanation

The author labels the historians’ view as “extremist” and “implausible,” but in para 3, particularly the last sentence, he hints that they do have some valid ideas.

(A) is too extreme. The author does give them a little credit, after all.

(B) distorts the passage. It’s the process of scientific discovery that the author thinks can be “rewardingly studied” as a social phenomenon, not the historians’ view.

(C) Au contraire: The author thinks that the historians are on to something in their analysis of “scientific groups.”

(E) This is a “half-right, half-wrong” choice. The author concedes that the historians’ view is popular today lines 17-19 (While this rejection of the traditional belief that scientific views are objective reflections of the world may be fashionable, it is deeply implausible.), but he doesn’t say that it’ll soon be overturned.

Answer: D

Hope it helps
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 83 [0]
Given Kudos: 187
Concentration: Finance, International Business
Send PM
Worst or Way to tough passage. Don't know. What to say. 21mins and only 2 right with close calls in 4 questions.
Devastated after solving this one. Don't Even feel like reviewing this passage.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 27 [0]
Given Kudos: 287
GMAT 1: 610 Q41 V35
GMAT 2: 660 Q48 V33
Send PM
Sajjad1994 can you please provide official answers for 1,2 and 5
GRE Forum Moderator
Send PM
Expert Reply
apurv09 wrote:
Sajjad1994 can you please provide official answers for 1,2 and 5

Explanation

1. It can be inferred from the passage that the author would be most likely to agree with which one of the following characterizations of scientific truth?

Explanation

(C) This choice makes essentially the same point as lines 32-39, in which the author asserts that scientific truths eventually emerge out of a complex process of discovery.

(A) Opposite. According to the author, what is “implausible” is the position of historians of science who think that scientific truths rest on ideological bias rather observed reality.

(B) is too extreme. While the author feels that many scientific truths are falsifiable (lines 40-43), he does cite some truths that he believes will never be falsified (lines 24-31).

(D) Another 180 choice. Lines 32-39 indicate that the author thinks that scientific truths often do emerge from “creative processes.”

(E) is the view of the historians of science whom the author attacks.

Answer: C

2. According to the passage, Kepler’s ideas provide an example of scientific ideas that were

Difficulty Level: 550-600

Explanation

In lines 43-44, Newton’s updating of Kepler’s ideas is cited as an example of a general scientific phenomenon: newer scientific ideas correcting older ones.

(B) refers to an unrelated detail in lines 37-39.

(C) Just the reverse: Kepler’s ideas were originally thought to be accurate, but later were corrected by Newton.

(D) refers to the view of historians of science. But the Kepler example comes up in the context of a discussion of the author’s quite different view.

(E) Although Newton did correct Kepler’s ideas, there is nothing in the passage to indicate that he intentionally set out to do so.

Answer: A

5. It can be inferred from the passage that the author would most likely agree with which one of the following statements about the relationship between the views of “certain philosophers of science” (Highlighted) and those of the recent historians?

Difficulty Level: 650

Explanation

In line 12, the author describes “certain philosophers of science” and recent historians of science as “allies.” In line 20, he argues that it’s an “easy step” from the view of these philosophers to the view of these historians. Thus, the author would contend that their views have elements in common.

(A) is too extreme. Saying that it’s an “easy step” from one view to the other is not the same as saying that they’re “difficult to differentiate.”

(C) Just because some philosophers and historians have similar views in certain respects doesn’t mean that the historians’ view stems from that of the philosophers. Indeed, the author argues that the philosophers would not agree with the historians’ general line of thinking (lines 17-19).

(D) Only the historians’ view emphasizes “the rhetorical power of scientists.”

(E) The passage doesn’t say or suggest that the historians would acknowledge any such thing.

Answer: B

Explanation Credit: Kaplan LSAT
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Given Kudos: 72
Send PM
Sajjad1994

I find LSAT RCs questions easy as compared to the OG RCs qs. Can you tell me which source passages are more close to 700 level OG RC questions?
GRE Forum Moderator
Send PM
Expert Reply
HASTOWINGMAT wrote:
Sajjad1994

I find LSAT RCs questions easy as compared to the OG RCs qs. Can you tell me which source passages are more close to 700 level OG RC questions?

Wow! You are probably the first one saying LSAT Passages are easy, i don't think so, You can visit the link below to get 700-Level LSAT PASSAGES.

https://gmatclub.com/forum/reading-comp ... 5B%5D=1321

Good Luck
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 542 [4]
Given Kudos: 1656
Send PM
Kudos