It is currently 19 Sep 2017, 22:52

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

A recent review of pay scales indicates that CEO's now earn an average

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 08 Apr 2004
Posts: 132

Kudos [?]: 910 [0], given: 0

Location: Corea
A recent review of pay scales indicates that CEO's now earn an average [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 Aug 2004, 03:41
4
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

  25% (medium)

Question Stats:

69% (01:06) correct 31% (01:44) wrong based on 278 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

A recent review of pay scales indicates that CEO's now earn an average of 419 times more pay than blue-collar workers, compared to a ratio of 42 times in 1980.

A. that CEO's now earn an average of 419 times more pay than blue-collar workers, compared to a ratio of 42 times
B. that, on average, CEO's now earn 419 times the pay of blue-collar workers, a ratio that compares to 42 times
C. that, on average, CEO's now earn 419 times the pay of blue-collar workers, as compared to 42 times their pay, the ratio
D. CEO's who now earn on average 419 times more pay than blue-collar workers, as compared to 42 times their pay, the ratio
E. CEO's now earning an average of 419 times the pay of blue-collar workers, compared to the ratio of 42 times
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Kudos [?]: 910 [0], given: 0

Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 02 Jul 2004
Posts: 218

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 0

Re: A recent review of pay scales indicates that CEO's now earn an average [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 Aug 2004, 05:14
Initially I went with C but on second thought would choose A
"their" in C is too ambiguous

Don't know why I don't like B, can't explain really

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 0

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 25 Jul 2004
Posts: 273

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 0

Re: A recent review of pay scales indicates that CEO's now earn an average [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 Aug 2004, 10:55
I do like C. I think the referrent of their is clear.

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 0

SVP
SVP
User avatar
Joined: 16 Oct 2003
Posts: 1800

Kudos [?]: 170 [0], given: 0

Re: A recent review of pay scales indicates that CEO's now earn an average [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 Aug 2004, 14:03
OlegC wrote:
Initially I went with C but on second thought would choose A
"their" in C is too ambiguous

Don't know why I don't like B, can't explain really


I will go with C also. In A it says "more pay than blue-collar workers". Pay is compared to workers.

Kudos [?]: 170 [0], given: 0

GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
avatar
Joined: 15 Dec 2003
Posts: 4285

Kudos [?]: 522 [0], given: 0

Re: A recent review of pay scales indicates that CEO's now earn an average [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 Aug 2004, 14:11
I would go with C because of A's unidiomatic "419 times more pay"
_________________

Best Regards,

Paul

Kudos [?]: 522 [0], given: 0

VP
VP
User avatar
Joined: 13 Jun 2004
Posts: 1114

Kudos [?]: 51 [0], given: 0

Location: London, UK
Schools: Tuck'08
Re: A recent review of pay scales indicates that CEO's now earn an average [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 Aug 2004, 19:24
Choice C
but I took a long time hesitating with B, and I still don't feel Cwould be a perfect answer but here it's seem the best of the given answers... :roll:

Kudos [?]: 51 [0], given: 0

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 24 Aug 2004
Posts: 4

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

Re: A recent review of pay scales indicates that CEO's now earn an average [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 Aug 2004, 19:58
B doesn't sound right because of the way it connects to <in 1980> at the end.

Choice B
"...a ratio that compares to 42 times in 1980."

A recent review of pay scales indicates <<that CEO’s now earn an average of 419 times more pay than blue-collar workers, compared to a ratio of 42 times>> in 1980.

A. that CEO’s now earn an average of 419 times more pay than blue-collar workers, compared to a ratio of 42 times

C. that, on average, CEO’s now earn 419 times the pay of blue-collar workers, as compared to 42 times their pay, the ratio

I'm new to this, but I'm going with A.

In C, when it says THEIR, you cannot be sure whether they are talking about blue collar workers or CEO's.

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
User avatar
Joined: 07 Jul 2004
Posts: 5039

Kudos [?]: 424 [0], given: 0

Location: Singapore
Re: A recent review of pay scales indicates that CEO's now earn an average [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 Aug 2004, 23:13
A. that CEO’s now earn an average of 419 times more pay than blue-collar workers, compared to a ratio of 42 times
B. that, on average, CEO’s now earn 419 times the pay of blue-collar workers, a ratio that compares to 42 times
C. that, on average, CEO’s now earn 419 times the pay of blue-collar workers, as compared to 42 times their pay, the ratio
D. CEO’s who now earn on average 419 times more pay than blue-collar workers, as compared to 42 times their pay, the ratio

passive 'CEO' is inappropriate here -- so A,B,C,D are out. C and D also have ambiguous pronoun 'their'

E. CEO’s now earning an average of 419 times the pay of blue-collar workers, compared to the ratio of 42 times
E is correct.

Kudos [?]: 424 [0], given: 0

1 KUDOS received
SVP
SVP
User avatar
B
Joined: 14 Apr 2009
Posts: 2132

Kudos [?]: 1566 [1], given: 8

Location: New York, NY
Re: A recent review of pay scales indicates that CEO's now earn an average [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 27 Jul 2012, 12:49
1
This post received
KUDOS
ywilfred wrote:
A. that CEO’s now earn an average of 419 times more pay than blue-collar workers, compared to a ratio of 42 times
B. that, on average, CEO’s now earn 419 times the pay of blue-collar workers, a ratio that compares to 42 times
C. that, on average, CEO’s now earn 419 times the pay of blue-collar workers, as compared to 42 times their pay, the ratio
D. CEO’s who now earn on average 419 times more pay than blue-collar workers, as compared to 42 times their pay, the ratio

passive 'CEO' is inappropriate here -- so A,B,C,D are out. C and D also have ambiguous pronoun 'their'

E. CEO’s now earning an average of 419 times the pay of blue-collar workers, compared to the ratio of 42 times
E is correct.


(E) does not make sense because the sentence leaves you hanging.

"A recent review of pay scales indicates CEOs now earning [X amount], compared to the ratio in 1980..." - this is not correct.

You could say "A recent review of pay scales indicates CEOs now earn [X amount].." - that's OK. But (E) uses "earning" instead of simply "earn" - so (E) is no good.

You can see the explanation for this question here: http://www.gmatpill.com/gmat-practice-t ... question/7

Kudos [?]: 1566 [1], given: 8

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Joined: 03 Dec 2012
Posts: 333

Kudos [?]: 173 [0], given: 291

Re: A recent review of pay scales indicates that CEO's now earn an average [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 Nov 2013, 07:45
GMATPill wrote:
ywilfred wrote:
A. that CEO’s now earn an average of 419 times more pay than blue-collar workers, compared to a ratio of 42 times
B. that, on average, CEO’s now earn 419 times the pay of blue-collar workers, a ratio that compares to 42 times
C. that, on average, CEO’s now earn 419 times the pay of blue-collar workers, as compared to 42 times their pay, the ratio
D. CEO’s who now earn on average 419 times more pay than blue-collar workers, as compared to 42 times their pay, the ratio

passive 'CEO' is inappropriate here -- so A,B,C,D are out. C and D also have ambiguous pronoun 'their'

E. CEO’s now earning an average of 419 times the pay of blue-collar workers, compared to the ratio of 42 times
E is correct.


(E) does not make sense because the sentence leaves you hanging.

"A recent review of pay scales indicates CEOs now earning [X amount], compared to the ratio in 1980..." - this is not correct.

You could say "A recent review of pay scales indicates CEOs now earn [X amount].." - that's OK. But (E) uses "earning" instead of simply "earn" - so (E) is no good.

You can see the explanation for this question here: http://www.gmatpill.com/gmat-practice-t ... question/7



Can you please throw some light as to why C is correct and A is not? People keep saying parallelism but I don't seem to get it.

Kudos [?]: 173 [0], given: 291

GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
User avatar
Joined: 01 Oct 2013
Posts: 10159

Kudos [?]: 253 [0], given: 0

Premium Member
Re: A recent review of pay scales indicates that CEO's now earn an average [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 Oct 2015, 05:46
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.

Kudos [?]: 253 [0], given: 0

Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 18 Jan 2016
Posts: 10

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 106

Re: A recent review of pay scales indicates that CEO's now earn an average [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 30 Jan 2016, 05:37
The answer is B. There seems to confusion between B and C. C is awkwardly lengthy, B clearly states that " a ratio that compares to 42 times in 1980." and is more precise than what is given in C

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 106

Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Status: GMAT_BOOOOOOM.............. Failure is not an Option
Joined: 22 Jul 2013
Posts: 15

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 19

Location: India
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GMAT 1: 510 Q38 V22
GPA: 3.5
WE: Information Technology (Consulting)
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: A recent review of pay scales indicates that CEO's now earn an average [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 May 2016, 09:43
OA = C

||ism in C ..419 times ... compared to 42 times
_________________

Kudos will be appreciated if it was helpful. :)

Cheers!!!!
Sit Tight and Enjoy !!!!!!! :)

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 19

Intern
Intern
User avatar
Joined: 28 Mar 2016
Posts: 17

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 3

Location: India
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
Re: A recent review of pay scales indicates that CEO's now earn an average [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 May 2016, 04:20
Could an expert explain this question please?
_________________

Thanks.
Ankit Bansal

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 3

Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 24 Apr 2014
Posts: 130

Kudos [?]: 57 [0], given: 17

Location: India
Concentration: Strategy, Operations
GMAT 1: 730 Q50 V38
GMAT 2: 750 Q48 V45
GPA: 4
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Reviews Badge
Re: A recent review of pay scales indicates that CEO's now earn an average [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 May 2016, 05:45
A recent review of pay scales indicates <<that CEO’s now earn an average of 419 times more pay than blue-collar workers, compared to a ratio of 42 times>> in 1980.

A. that CEO’s now earn an average of 419 times more pay than blue-collar workers, compared to a ratio of 42 times
B. that, on average, CEO’s now earn 419 times the pay of blue-collar workers, a ratio that compares to 42 times
C. that, on average, CEO’s now earn 419 times the pay of blue-collar workers, as compared to 42 times their pay, the ratio
D. CEO’s who now earn on average 419 times more pay than blue-collar workers, as compared to 42 times their pay, the ratio
E. CEO’s now earning an average of 419 times the pay of blue-collar workers, compared to the ratio of 42 times
_________________

way to victory .....

Kudos [?]: 57 [0], given: 17

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Verbal Expert
User avatar
S
Joined: 14 Dec 2013
Posts: 3139

Kudos [?]: 3073 [1], given: 22

Location: Germany
Schools: HHL Leipzig
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE: Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: A recent review of pay scales indicates that CEO's now earn an average [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 25 May 2016, 04:55
1
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
marine wrote:
A recent review of pay scales indicates <<that CEO’s now earn an average of 419 times more pay than blue-collar workers, compared to a ratio of 42 times>> in 1980.

A. that CEO’s now earn an average of 419 times more pay than blue-collar workers, compared to a ratio of 42 times
B. that, on average, CEO’s now earn 419 times the pay of blue-collar workers, a ratio that compares to 42 times
C. that, on average, CEO’s now earn 419 times the pay of blue-collar workers, as compared to 42 times their pay, the ratio
D. CEO’s who now earn on average 419 times more pay than blue-collar workers, as compared to 42 times their pay, the ratio
E. CEO’s now earning an average of 419 times the pay of blue-collar workers, compared to the ratio of 42 times


Ankit73 wrote:
Could an expert explain this question please?


A. Wrong - 2 errors.
error 1. The past participle modifier "compared to a ratio ....." wrongly refers to "workers".
error 2. When using multiples such as "x times", "double" etc. using comparative such as "more","less" etc is wrong. The comparatives are used for mathematical operators sum and difference.
Correct: I am 5 meters taller than he is. (difference is 5 meters, comparative "taller" is OK)
Correct: My height is double / 3 times his height. (multiplier is 2 / 3, no comparative)
Wrong: My height is 3 times more than his height. (for multiplier, cannot use comparative "more")

B. Wrong.
The active voice usage "the ratio that compares to.." is wrong. The ratio does not compare - the ratio IS compared (passive).

C. Correct.
Correct usage of comparison"as compared to".
The modifier "that ratio" correctly refers to "42 times".

D. Wrong.
error 2 of option A above.

E. Wrong.
error 1 of option A above.

Kudos [?]: 3073 [1], given: 22

Intern
Intern
User avatar
Joined: 28 Mar 2016
Posts: 17

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 3

Location: India
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
Re: A recent review of pay scales indicates that CEO's now earn an average [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 25 May 2016, 05:59
sayantanc2k wrote:
marine wrote:
A recent review of pay scales indicates <<that CEO’s now earn an average of 419 times more pay than blue-collar workers, compared to a ratio of 42 times>> in 1980.

A. that CEO’s now earn an average of 419 times more pay than blue-collar workers, compared to a ratio of 42 times
B. that, on average, CEO’s now earn 419 times the pay of blue-collar workers, a ratio that compares to 42 times
C. that, on average, CEO’s now earn 419 times the pay of blue-collar workers, as compared to 42 times their pay, the ratio
D. CEO’s who now earn on average 419 times more pay than blue-collar workers, as compared to 42 times their pay, the ratio
E. CEO’s now earning an average of 419 times the pay of blue-collar workers, compared to the ratio of 42 times


Ankit73 wrote:
Could an expert explain this question please?


A. Wrong - 2 errors.
error 1. The past participle modifier "compared to a ratio ....." wrongly refers to "workers".
error 2. When using multiples such as "x times", "double" etc. using comparative such as "more","less" etc is wrong. The comparatives are used for mathematical operators sum and difference.
Correct: I am 5 meters taller than he is. (difference is 5 meters, comparative "taller" is OK)
Correct: My height is double / 3 times his height. (multiplier is 2 / 3, no comparative)
Wrong: My height is 3 times more than his height. (for multiplier, cannot use comparative "more")

B. Wrong.
The active voice usage "the ratio that compares to.." is wrong. The ratio does not compare - the ratio IS compared (passive).

C. Correct.
Correct usage of comparison"as compared to".
The modifier "that ratio" correctly refers to "42 times".

D. Wrong.
error 2 of option A above.

E. Wrong.
error 1 of option A above.



Thanks for the explanation. However, isn't 'compared to a ratio' a verb-ed modifier? Do verb-ed modifiers also need to be as close as possible to whatever they are modifying?
_________________

Thanks.
Ankit Bansal

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 3

Expert Post
Verbal Expert
User avatar
S
Joined: 14 Dec 2013
Posts: 3139

Kudos [?]: 3073 [0], given: 22

Location: Germany
Schools: HHL Leipzig
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE: Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: A recent review of pay scales indicates that CEO's now earn an average [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 25 May 2016, 06:08
Ankit73 wrote:
sayantanc2k wrote:
marine wrote:
A recent review of pay scales indicates <<that CEO’s now earn an average of 419 times more pay than blue-collar workers, compared to a ratio of 42 times>> in 1980.

A. that CEO’s now earn an average of 419 times more pay than blue-collar workers, compared to a ratio of 42 times
B. that, on average, CEO’s now earn 419 times the pay of blue-collar workers, a ratio that compares to 42 times
C. that, on average, CEO’s now earn 419 times the pay of blue-collar workers, as compared to 42 times their pay, the ratio
D. CEO’s who now earn on average 419 times more pay than blue-collar workers, as compared to 42 times their pay, the ratio
E. CEO’s now earning an average of 419 times the pay of blue-collar workers, compared to the ratio of 42 times


Ankit73 wrote:
Could an expert explain this question please?


A. Wrong - 2 errors.
error 1. The past participle modifier "compared to a ratio ....." wrongly refers to "workers".
error 2. When using multiples such as "x times", "double" etc. using comparative such as "more","less" etc is wrong. The comparatives are used for mathematical operators sum and difference.
Correct: I am 5 meters taller than he is. (difference is 5 meters, comparative "taller" is OK)
Correct: My height is double / 3 times his height. (multiplier is 2 / 3, no comparative)
Wrong: My height is 3 times more than his height. (for multiplier, cannot use comparative "more")

B. Wrong.
The active voice usage "the ratio that compares to.." is wrong. The ratio does not compare - the ratio IS compared (passive).

C. Correct.
Correct usage of comparison"as compared to".
The modifier "that ratio" correctly refers to "42 times".

D. Wrong.
error 2 of option A above.

E. Wrong.
error 1 of option A above.



Thanks for the explanation. However, isn't 'compared to a ratio' a verb-ed modifier? Do verb-ed modifiers also need to be as close as possible to whatever they are modifying?


Yes, verb-ed modifiers, like other modifiers (except verb-ing modifiers), should generally touch the noun it modifies. This is precisely mentioned as error 1 for option a.

Kudos [?]: 3073 [0], given: 22

Re: A recent review of pay scales indicates that CEO's now earn an average   [#permalink] 25 May 2016, 06:08
    Similar topics Author Replies Last post
Similar
Topics:
26 EXPERTS_POSTS_IN_THIS_TOPIC A recently published report indicates that the salaries of noboru 29 06 Jul 2017, 05:43
5 Recent studies have indicated that vani711 4 04 Jun 2017, 09:06
14 The latest review of pay scales in a particular company show ARASHFRX 10 17 Feb 2017, 11:19
59 EXPERTS_POSTS_IN_THIS_TOPIC A recent review of pay scales indicates that CEO's now earn an average sondenso 64 17 Sep 2017, 10:59
3 A recent review of pay scales indicates that CEO’s now earn an average ajaym28 2 12 Dec 2014, 06:20
Display posts from previous: Sort by

A recent review of pay scales indicates that CEO's now earn an average

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.