Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 08:53 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 08:53

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 466 [464]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42103 [158]
Given Kudos: 422
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 208 [48]
Given Kudos: 15
GMAT Date: 10-21-2011
Send PM
Experts' Global Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 4683 [12]
Given Kudos: 38
GMAT Date: 11-01-2019
Send PM
Re: A recent study has found that within the past few years, many doctors [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
Dear Friends,

Here is a detailed explanation to this question-
redferrocene wrote:
A recent study has found that within the past few years, many doctors had elected early retirement rather than face the threats of lawsuits and the rising costs of malpractice insurance.

(A) had elected early retirement rather than face
(B) had elected early retirement instead of facing
(C) have elected retiring early instead of facing
(D) have elected to retire early rather than facing
(E) have elected to retire early rather than face

Meaning is crucial to solving this problem:
Understanding the intended meaning is key to solving this question; the intended core meaning of this sentence is that many doctors have elected to retire early rather than face the threats of lawsuits and the rising costs of malpractice insurance.

Concepts tested here: Meaning + Tenses

• The present perfect tense (marked by the use of the helping verb “has/have”) is used to describe events that concluded in the past but continue to affect the present.
• The past perfect tense (marked by the use of helping verb "had") is used when a sentence contains two actions in the past; the helping verb "had" is used with the action in the "greater past".
• Any elements linked by a conjunction ("rather than" in this case") must be parallel.
• For referring to the purpose/intent of action the infinitive verb form ("to + base form of verb") is preferred over the present participle ("verb+ing").
• A general observation: “instead of” generally loses to “rather than” on GMAT.

A: This answer choice alters the meaning of the sentence through the phrase "elected early retirement"; the use of the noun phrase "early retirement" leads to an incoherent meaning; the intended meaning is that many doctors have elected to retire early rather than face the threats of lawsuits and the rising costs of malpractice insurance. Further, Option A incorrectly uses the past perfect tense verb "had elected" to refer to an action that concluded in the past but continues to affect the present; please remember, the present perfect tense (marked by the use of the helping verb “has/have”) is used to describe events that concluded in the past but continue to affect the present, and the past perfect tense (marked by the use of helping verb "had") is used when a sentence contains two actions in the past; the helping verb "had" is used with the action in the "greater past". Additionally, Option A fails to maintain parallelism between "early retirement" and "face the threats...insurance"; please remember, any elements linked by a conjunction ("rather than" in this case") must be parallel.

B: This answer choice alters the meaning of the sentence through the phrase "elected early retirement"; the use of the noun phrase "early retirement" leads to an incoherent meaning; the intended meaning is that many doctors have elected to retire early rather than face the threats of lawsuits and the rising costs of malpractice insurance. Further, Option B incorrectly uses the past perfect tense verb "had elected" to refer to an action that concluded in the past but continues to affect the present; please remember, the present perfect tense (marked by the use of the helping verb “has/have”) is used to describe events that concluded in the past but continue to affect the present, and the past perfect tense (marked by the use of helping verb "had") is used when a sentence contains two actions in the past; the helping verb "had" is used with the action in the "greater past". Additionally, Option B fails to maintain parallelism between "early retirement" and "facing the threats...insurance"; please remember, any elements linked by a conjunction ("instead of" in this case") must be parallel. Besides, a general observation: “instead of” generally loses to “rather than” on GMAT.

C: This answer choice uses the present participle ("verb+ing" - "retiring" in this sentence) to refer to the intent behind the action "have elected"; please remember, for referring to the purpose/intent of action the infinitive verb form ("to + base form of verb") is preferred over the present participle ("verb+ing" - "retiring" in this sentence). Besides, a general observation: “instead of” generally loses to “rather than” on GMAT.

D: This answer choice fails to maintain parallelism between "to retire early" and "facing the threats...insurance"; please remember, any elements linked by a conjunction ("rather than" in this case") must be parallel.

E: Correct. This answer choice uses the phrase "to retire early", conveying the intended meaning - that many doctors have elected to retire early rather than face the threats of lawsuits and the rising costs of malpractice insurance. Moreover, Option E uses the infinitive verb form ("to + base form of verb" - "to + retire" in this sentence) to refer to the intent of the action "have elected". Further, Option E correctly uses the present perfect tense verb "have elected" to refer to an action that concluded in the past but continues to affect the present. Additionally, Option E maintains parallelism between "retire early" and "face the threats...insurance". Besides, Option E uses the preferred construction "rather than".

Hence, E is the best answer choice.

To understand the concept of "Present Perfect Tense" on GMAT, you may want to watch the following video (~2 minutes):

To understand the concept of "Past Perfect Tense" on GMAT, you may want to watch the following video (~2 minutes):

To understand the concept of "Infinitive vs Present Participles" on GMAT, you may want to watch the following video (~2 minutes):

All the best!
Experts' Global Team
General Discussion
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 125 [7]
Send PM
Re: A recent study has found that within the past few years, many doctors [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Here's an attempt at an explanation...

In the sentence given, there isn't really a sequence of events, it's a stating a recent study.

Here's an example of where had will make sense,

The doctors had retired before the lawyers sued them for malpractice.

In this sentence, had is used to indicate that an event occured before another event. First the doctors retired, then the lawyers sued them. "Had" in this sentence establishes that sequence.

Hope this helps...
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 1537 [7]
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
E is better because it is using present perfect tense. The passage is in the present tense so talking about an event that happened prior to another event in the present(and could be still ongoing), we use present perfect.

present perfect: ie I am playing scrabble but note that I have achieved my goal --> I achieved the goal and then, presently, I am playing scrabble
past perfect: ie I played scrabble but I had achieved my goal --> I played scrabble(in the past) but at some point before that, I achieved my goal.

Read on about present and past perfect(and verb tenses in general):
https://webster.commnet.edu/grammar/tens ... tm#perfect
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 373 [4]
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
You cannot elect early retirement, but you can elect to retire early.
Only (D) and (E) are possible choices.

(E) is the best for parallellism because "elected to retire" is parallel to "face"
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 373 [10]
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Here I am talking about usage of verbs to maintain the parallelism.

"have elected to retire" is a verb or an action
"face" is also an action or a verb.

If you use "to" before "face" then it looks like the doctors have elected to face something. It looked awkward.

In all the other sentences verb and gerunds/participles are used. Those sentences are least parallel.

Parallellism means you should use similar class of sentence fragment/elements.

Noun/Noun Phrase + Noun/Gerund/Noun Phrase/Gerund Phrase
Verb + Verb

I hope I have clarified my point.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 46 [7]
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
I have found this material when looking for instead of vs rather than:

The phrase rather than consists of an adverb and a conjunction and often means "and not," as in I decided to skip lunch rather than eat in the cafeteria again. It is grammatically similar to sooner than in that it is used with a "bare" infinitive—an infinitive minus to: I would stay here and eat flies sooner than go with them.

Rather than can also be used with nouns as a compound preposition meaning "instead of": I bought a mountain bike rather than a ten-speed. But some people object to this use, insisting that than should be used only as a conjunction. They therefore object to constructions in which rather than is followed by a gerund, as in Rather than buying a new car, I kept my old one.

In some cases, however, rather than can only be followed by a gerund and not by a bare infinitive. If the main verb of the sentence has a form that does not allow parallel treatment of the verb following rather than, you cannot use a bare infinitive, and you must use a gerund. This is often the case when the main verb is in a past tense or has a participle. Thus, you must say The results of the study, rather than ending (not end or ended) the controversy, only added to it. If the main verb was in the present tense (add), you could use the bare infinitive end.

Curiously, when the rather than construction follows the main verb, it can use other verb forms besides the bare infinitive. Thus you can say The results of the study added to the controversy rather than ended it.

The overriding concern in all of this should be to avoid faulty parallels, as in sentences like Rather than buy a new car, I have kept my old one and Rather than take a cab, she is going on foot.

Clearly, it is grammatically defensible to follow rather than with a gerund, but if you prefer to avoid the controversy, use instead of with gerunds.

Based on what the bolded paragraph says the answer I think is C.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 4614 [3]
Given Kudos: 99
Send PM
Kudos
WhyabloodyMBA wrote:
A recent study has found that within the past few years, many doctors had elected early retirement rather than face the threats of lawsuits and the rising costs of malpractice insurance.
(A) had elected early retirement rather than face
(B) had elected early retirement instead of facing
(C) have elected retiring early instead of facing
(D) have elected to retire early rather than facing
(E) have elected to retire early rather than face

how do v decide upon usage of 'rather than' and 'instead of'..?

you use 'rather than' to compare clauses and 'instead of' to compare 'nouns/noun phrases'.

But also remember you can use 'rather than' to emphasize priority over something.

in this question to maintain parallelism with 'retire' you have to have 'face' verb. so obviously you go for 'rather than'.

Hope that helps.

Originally posted by ugimba on 08 Jul 2009, 06:38.
Last edited by ugimba on 09 Jul 2009, 06:00, edited 1 time in total.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 1726 [5]
Given Kudos: 19
Send PM
Kudos