GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 08 Dec 2019, 01:31

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

A recent study of child psychology conducted at the local university,

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Find Similar Topics 
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
P
Concentration: Finance, Marketing
A recent study of child psychology conducted at the local university,  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 Oct 2019, 04:00
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

45% (medium)

Question Stats:

67% (01:47) correct 33% (01:52) wrong based on 129 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

A recent study of child psychology conducted at the local university, recorded the responses of children of various ages to a series of questions concerning the brain and the self. Children were asked to indicate whether they or their brain performed certain functions and tasks. The results of the study show that the children were almost unanimous in proclaiming that the brain performed mathematical operations and recollection. However, when asked whether they or their brain loved their mother, the vast majority of responses indicated that the self was responsible.

Which of the following conclusions can most logically be drawn from the results of the study described above?

(A) Children have not yet acquired a mature understanding of the function of the brain.

(B) In general, children view their own brain as a tool apart from themselves.

(C) The children selected for the study were too young to fully comprehend the meanings of the questions posed.

(D) Children externalize undesirable activities such as mathematical operations.

(E) A child's love for its mother transcends the immature psychological barriers present in most children.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
P
Concentration: Finance, Marketing
Re: A recent study of child psychology conducted at the local university,  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 Oct 2019, 04:06
sir, I marked answer d which is incorrect I was able to eliminate choice a,c, and e
--i was stuck between choice b and d and finally marked the wrong one but still, I don't understand how choice b is the correct answer...please help me
Manager
Manager
S
A recent study of child psychology conducted at the local university,  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 Nov 2019, 01:47
shridhar786 wrote:
A recent study of child psychology conducted at the local university, recorded the responses of children of various ages to a series of questions concerning the brain and the self. Children were asked to indicate whether they or their brain performed certain functions and tasks. The results of the study show that the children were almost unanimous in proclaiming that the brain performed mathematical operations and recollection. However, when asked whether they or their brain loved their mother, the vast majority of responses indicated that the self was responsible. @shridhar786

Which of the following conclusions can most logically be drawn from the results of the study described above?

(A) Children have not yet acquired a mature understanding of the function of the brain.

(B) In general, children view their own brain as a tool apart from themselves.

(C) The children selected for the study were too young to fully comprehend the meanings of the questions posed.

(D) Children externalize undesirable activities such as mathematical operations.

(E) A child's love for its mother transcends the immature psychological barriers present in most children.

A recent study of child psychology conducted at the local university, recorded the responses of children of various ages to a series of questions concerning the brain and the self. Children were asked to indicate whether they or their brain performed certain functions and tasks. The results of the study show that the children were almost unanimous in proclaiming that the brain performed mathematical operations and recollection. However, when asked whether they or their brain loved their mother, the vast majority of responses indicated that the self was responsible.

(A) Children have not yet acquired a mature understanding of the function of the brain. This goes too far. We cannot say from this whether they understand the function of the brain. Also, what is a "mature" understanding

(B) In general, children view their own brain as a tool apart from themselves. Correct, because math = brain, love = they themselves as it was asked clearly for this separation: "whether they or their brain performed certain functions and tasks".

(C) The children selected for the study were too young to fully comprehend the meanings of the questions posed. What is too young, how do we know?

(D) Children externalize undesirable activities such as mathematical operations. We do not know whether math is an undesirable activity for the children asked

(E) A child's love for its mother transcends the immature psychological barriers present in most children. Goes also way too far. Furthermore, what are immature psychological barriers? We don't know from the passage given
Manager
Manager
S
Re: A recent study of child psychology conducted at the local university,  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 Nov 2019, 01:50
shridhar786 wrote:
sir, I marked answer d which is incorrect I was able to eliminate choice a,c, and e
--i was stuck between choice b and d and finally marked the wrong one but still, I don't understand how choice b is the correct answer...please help me

(A) Children have not yet acquired a mature understanding of the function of the brain. This goes too far. We cannot say from this whether they understand the function of the brain. Also, what is a "mature" understanding

(B) In general, children view their own brain as a tool apart from themselves. Correct, because math = brain, love = they themselves as it was asked clearly for this separation: "whether they or their brain performed certain functions and tasks".

(C) The children selected for the study were too young to fully comprehend the meanings of the questions posed. What is too young, how do we know?

(D) Children externalize undesirable activities such as mathematical operations. We do not know whether math is an undesirable activity for the children asked

(E) A child's love for its mother transcends the immature psychological barriers present in most children. Goes also way too far. Furthermore, what are immature psychological barriers? We don't know from the passage given
GMAT Club Bot
Re: A recent study of child psychology conducted at the local university,   [#permalink] 24 Nov 2019, 01:50

A recent study of child psychology conducted at the local university,

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics