It is currently 13 Dec 2017, 03:25

Decision(s) Day!:

CHAT Rooms | Ross R1 | Kellogg R1 | Darden R1 | Tepper R1

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

A recent study of college students shows that, contrary to

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 164 [0], given: 0

Re: A recent study of college students shows that, contrary to [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 May 2010, 04:31
I've some thoughts in this.
Here the conclusion is Changing diet didn't improve performance.
Now if someone earlier studied 9 hour and after changing the diets studied 4 hours then his performance might not be improved and we can't conclude that diet change doesn't work.
Now even after maintaining same study habit etc if performance doesn't improve then we can confirm the conclusion.
I analyzed in this way and picked B.
Correct me if I'm wrong

Kudos [?]: 164 [0], given: 0

Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 1560 [0], given: 40

WE 1: 3.5 yrs IT
WE 2: 2.5 yrs Retail chain

Show Tags

New post 15 May 2010, 04:47
This post was
BOOKMARKED
angel,

how about another reason - Some students were extremely poor in studies and received lower grades. But when they changed their diet, their grades impreoved.

Now, back to the question:
1. B4 the experiment, results were predicted.
2. After exp, it was shown that nutritional planning does not positively affect students’ grades.
3. Grades (30 std on nutri planning) ~= Grades (30 std not on nutri planning)

The main point here is b/w nutrixn planning and grades. So, choices dealing with this relationship will be of our concern. This is what stated in D.

Want to improve your CR: http://gmatclub.com/forum/cr-methods-an-approach-to-find-the-best-answers-93146.html
Tricky Quant problems: http://gmatclub.com/forum/50-tricky-questions-92834.html
Important Grammer Fundamentals: http://gmatclub.com/forum/key-fundamentals-of-grammer-our-crucial-learnings-on-sc-93659.html

Director
Director

WE 1: 3.5 yrs IT
WE 2: 2.5 yrs Retail chain

Show Tags

New post 15 May 2010, 04:51
Please see my comments below.

angel2009 wrote:
I've some thoughts in this.
Here the conclusion is Changing diet didn't improve performance.
Now if someone earlier studied 9 hour and after changing the diets studied 4 hours then his performance might not be improved and we can't conclude that diet change doesn't work. - What if they were doing some research and now after the diet planning, they were on documentation work. B clearly says no change in study habits.Now even after maintaining same study habit etc if performance doesn't improve then we can confirm the conclusion.
I analyzed in this way and picked B.
Correct me if I'm wrong

Want to improve your CR: http://gmatclub.com/forum/cr-methods-an-approach-to-find-the-best-answers-93146.html
Tricky Quant problems: http://gmatclub.com/forum/50-tricky-questions-92834.html
Important Grammer Fundamentals: http://gmatclub.com/forum/key-fundamentals-of-grammer-our-crucial-learnings-on-sc-93659.html

VP
VP

Kudos [?]: 226 [0], given: 13

Schools: Wharton (R2 - submitted); HBS (R2 - submitted); IIMA (admitted for 1 year PGPX)

Show Tags

New post 15 Jul 2010, 04:03
I am not sure if the wording of the question is appropriate. I chose D as well - but the other choices were mostly out of scope or irrelevant and only D seemed to have some connection with the stem. But the question is asking a choice that helps in determining its accuracy. Choice D only restates what's expected - but I would reckon that in order to verify accuracy - you need to find out some explanation about whether what's being stated is reasonable or not...D offers nothing extra apart from confirming what one would expect...i can't see how it verifies the accuracy...at best D is a strengthening choice.

Kudos [?]: 226 [0], given: 13

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 48 [0], given: 1

Show Tags

New post 15 Jul 2010, 05:13
D ...

Guess Someone tried to make a question similar to the question, where half the Rats are feeded some kinda food and some x chemical increases.

To evaluate : we need to make sure that all the rats had same amount of x chemical before the exp.

:idea: :o

R E S P E C T

Finally KISSedGMAT 700 times 450 to 700 An exprience

Kudos [?]: 48 [0], given: 1

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 34 [0], given: 3

Show Tags

New post 17 Jul 2010, 03:47
D

consider cudos if you like my post

Kudos [?]: 34 [0], given: 3

VP
VP

Kudos [?]: 805 [0], given: 6

Show Tags

New post 17 Jul 2010, 10:09
D for me.

But the wording of the question was awkward and weird.

Kudos [?]: 805 [0], given: 6

1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 103 [1], given: 9

GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge
Re: CR: Nutrition Study [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 Jul 2010, 04:22
This post received
KUDOS
Even I wonder how it can be D. D says they altered the diet. It doesn't say they went on balanced diet which showed positive grade improvement.

B supports the study pattern. I can agrue that students changed study habit when they went on this nutricitional program and hence no grade imrovement.

If you like my post, consider giving me some KUDOS !!!!! Like you I need them

Kudos [?]: 103 [1], given: 9

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 75 [0], given: 4

Schools: University of Texas at Austin, Michigan State

Show Tags

New post 28 Jul 2010, 05:49
These are the kind of questions that make me hate multiple guess exams.

None of the choices are good. I choose F.

F) The control group (no special diet) had higher average grades before the study was conducted.

Kudos [?]: 75 [0], given: 4

1 KUDOS received

Kudos [?]: [1], given:

Concentration: Entrepreneurship, International Business
GMAT 3: 740 Q40 V50
GMAT 4: 700 Q48 V38
GMAT 5: 710 Q45 V41
GMAT 6: 680 Q47 V36
GMAT 9: 740 Q49 V42
GMAT 11: 500 Q47 V33
GMAT 14: 760 Q49 V44
WE: Supply Chain Management (Energy and Utilities)

Show Tags

New post 28 Jul 2010, 09:31
This post received
KUDOS
TallJTinChina wrote:
These are the kind of questions that make me hate multiple guess exams.

None of the choices are good. I choose F.

F) The control group (no special diet) had higher average grades before the study was conducted.

+1

Kudos [?]: [1], given:

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 50 [0], given: 3

Show Tags

New post 28 Jul 2010, 11:35
(A) Performance of business executives was shown to improve drastically after major alterations were made in their diets.
-- Irrelevant since its nothing related to business executives. Hence A is not a correct answer choice.

(B) Honors students, after altering their diets, maintained that they did not change their study habits.
-- This is not weakening the study. You can logically negate the answer choice and see if it is strengthening the study. Hence B is not a correct answer choice.

(C) Students who participated in various fitness regimens found that their grades improved appreciably after they altered their exercise habits.
-- Irrelevant. Hence C not a correct answer choice.

(D) High school students who previously had low grades found that after they altered their diets, their grades improved dramatically.
-- If this is true, it is stating exactly opposite to study's conclusion. Hence D is a correct answer choice.

(E) All of the college students who volunteered for the study were either in their first or second year of college.
-- This cannot predict the accuracy of study. Hence E is not a correct answer choice.

Thank You.

Thanks,
Akhil M.Parekh

Kudos [?]: 50 [0], given: 3

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 97 [0], given: 7

Show Tags

New post 28 Jul 2010, 17:42
The answer is D.

A) Is out of scope because we are discussing business performance versus grades
b) mentions study habits instead of grades
c) out of scope
e) out of scope

If D is correct, then the author's conclusion is incorrect. So the accuracy of the argument depends on whether or not D is correct.

Kudos [?]: 97 [0], given: 7

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 386 [0], given: 16

Show Tags

New post 30 Jul 2010, 11:01
chan4312 wrote:
@bhatiasanjay01

what is the OA and the Source ?

i agree. we need the source to determine the structure of the question

IMO (B)

Kudos [?]: 386 [0], given: 16

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 1

Show Tags

New post 14 Dec 2010, 05:55
We really should have a source on this question or throw it out.

D cannot be the answer because we have no way of knowing if the study in D was conducted accurately. Therefore, we cannot use that study to determine the accuracy of the study mentioned above.

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 1

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 6

GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 01 Aug 2011, 05:35
Before even reading the question under the text I thought to myself - "Well, the study is nice but what about the performance of the second group before they took the diet? Was it the same or it helped to catch up the second group and become of the same level?"

So, when I read the statement "D", I was 100% sure that it was right.

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 6

1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 54 [1], given: 17

GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 01 Aug 2011, 07:19
This post received
KUDOS
This is a kick-ass question. I selected D based on the 1st rationale that somebody added, but after reading more I can see how E might be the right choice. Although, when in doubt I tend to leave the choices that need very very strong inference to strengthen the argument. But this question stem is very tricky.

I try to keep it simple by thinking stem: Strengthen ConclusionX = Weaken conclusion. But here the Stem is not even referring to the conclusion but the validity of the sample used and hence the accuracy of the study. Too much mumbo jumbo in the question stem.

This question does NOT fall under any standard CR question, rather it wants us to weaken a part of the premise.

Anyways, if I get such complex question in my test, I will be happy to get it wrong as I will already be in my course for a good verbal score :)

Kudos [?]: 54 [1], given: 17

2 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: University of Tehran

Kudos [?]: 38 [2], given: 57

Grad GPA: 4
Concentration: Marketing
Schools: Wharton
GMAT 1: 680 Q45 V38
GPA: 4
WE: Marketing (Retail)

Show Tags

New post 01 Aug 2011, 08:58
This post received
KUDOS
Wait... So the fight is so hot b/w D and E. Let us analyze the weak points and strength points of each choice in "determining the accuracy of the study described above":

E: What makes this choice suitable is the fact that it points at some weaknesses in the methodology. Right. So let's put this choice aside for now since it may be the best choice. So, this choice helps us evaluate the accuracy of the study by evaluating the methodology. The methodology in part determines the accuracy of a study.

D:
The problem with E is that since it talks about a test result that was drawn about HIGHSCHOOLS students, it may be considered IRRELEVANT. BUT, on it's good side, choice E states a result from another study-no matter with what kind of subject/sample, that directly stands AGAINST that of the main study. Right? IanStewart, you are right that choice E is an obvious weakener to the conclusion, but what's wrong with it? This fact can not prevent this choice from "determining the accuracy of the study described above"? Not only it's not prevented but also weakening the results, and determining the accuracy of the results of a study are two concepts so close to each other. If we can weaken a conclusion, the perceived accuracy will be decreased.

The golden point is this: Look at the stem again; it says: A recent study of college students shows that, contrary to predicted results, special nutritional planning does not positively affect STUDENT'S grades. The counterargument (what we are to determine the accuracy of the results of a study against it) is about students' performance in general, NOT just performance of COLLEGE students. So a hypothesis about any kind of STUDENTS' performance can be tested by studying ANY KIND of students.

In sum, my choice is D. Though both D and E aim at accuracy of the conclusion, while E focuses on the defects of methodology, D focuses on the DIRECT opposite results found from another VALID study. Do not forget the point: we are talking about a conclusion about ALL students.

What is the source of this question?

Ambition, Motivation and Determination: the three "tion"s that lead to PERFECTION.

World! Respect Iran and Iranians as they respect you! Leave the governments with their own.

Kudos [?]: 38 [2], given: 57

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

Show Tags

New post 01 Aug 2011, 09:49
thanks for the explanation....tricky one...my answer is D

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

Current Student

Kudos [?]: 18 [0], given: 28

Show Tags

New post 02 Aug 2011, 02:46
I also feel that D should be the answer.

I was confused b/w B and D but later realized that D is correct.

A, B and E I feel are irrelevant

BR
Mandy

Kudos [?]: 18 [0], given: 28

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 84 [0], given: 5

WE 1: 3.75 IT
WE 2: 1.0 IT

Show Tags

New post 02 Aug 2011, 03:35
+1 for D.

We are talking about determining the accuracy of the study described above and D helps us to see that the altered diet helps students with low grade to increase their grade. Thus this helps us in determining the accuracy of the study.

Cheers,
Varun

If you like my post, give me KUDOS!!

Kudos [?]: 84 [0], given: 5

Re: CR: Nutrition Study   [#permalink] 02 Aug 2011, 03:35

Go to page   Previous    1   2   3   4   5    Next  [ 81 posts ] 

A recent study of college students shows that, contrary to

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap