Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 13:25 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 13:25

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618583 [8]
Given Kudos: 81563
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 1117 [1]
Given Kudos: 69
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 888 [1]
Given Kudos: 354
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Strategy
GMAT 1: 640 Q49 V27
GMAT 2: 660 Q49 V31
GMAT 3: 720 Q50 V38
GPA: 4
WE:Engineering (Consumer Electronics)
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 29891 [0]
Given Kudos: 799
Send PM
A rectangular reservoir is filled with water till one-fifth of the hei [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Top Contributor
Bunuel wrote:
A rectangular reservoir is filled with water till one-fifth of the height of the reservoir. If an outlet at the bottom of the reservoir is unplugged, the water in the reservoir will drain completely in 1 hour. If the outlet remains plugged and the inlet tap at the head of the reservoir is opened, the reservoir will fill to the brim in 2 hours. In how much time will the reservoir fill to the brim if the outlet is unplugged 30 minutes after the inlet tap is opened ?

(A) 3 hours
(B) 3 hours 30 minutes
(C) 4 hours 30 minutes
(D) 5 hours
(E) The reservoir will never be filled to the brim
Are You Up For the Challenge: 700 Level Questions

To make things easier on ourselves, let's assign a "nice" value to the total volume of the reservoir.

Let's say the reservoir holds a TOTAL of 20 gallons

A rectangular reservoir is filled with water till one-fifth of the height of the reservoir.
1/5 of 20 = 4
So, the reservoir currently holds 4 gallons of water

If an outlet at the bottom of the reservoir is unplugged, the water in the reservoir will drain completely in 1 hour.
In other words, 4 gallons of water will drain out of the reservoir in one hour.
Rate = amount/time = (4 gallons)/(1 hour) = 4 gallons per hour
So the RATE at which water drains out of the outlet = 4 gallons per hour

If the outlet remains plugged and the inlet tap at the head of the reservoir is opened, the reservoir will fill to the brim in 2 hours
In other words, it will take 2 hours for the inlet tap to add the additional 16 gallons of water it will take to fill the reservoir.
Rate = amount/time = (16 gallons)/(2 hours) = 8 gallons per hour
So the RATE at which water flows into the reservoir = 8 gallons per hour

In how much time will the reservoir fill to the brim if the outlet is unplugged 30 minutes after the inlet tap is opened ?
If the inlet tap is opened for 30 minutes (aka 0.5 HOURS), the amount of water flowing into the reservoir = (0.5 hours)(8 gallons per hour) = 4 gallons.
So, after 30 minutes, the volume in the reservoir = 4 + 4 = 8 gallons.
So in order to FILL the reservoir to the top, we must add an additional 12 gallons of water

Once the outlet is unplugged, we have water flowing IN at a rate of 8 gallons per hour, and we have water flowing OUT at a rate of 4 gallons per hour
So the NET EFFECT = 8 gallons per hour - 4 gallons per hour = 4 gallons per hour

We need to add an additional 12 gallons of water, and we are doing so at a rate of 4 gallons per hour
Time = amount/rate
= (12 gallons)/(4 gallons per hour)
= 3 hours

IMPORTANT: Now we must add the 30 minutes that elapsed before the outlet was unplugged.
We get 3 hours + 30 minutes

Answer: B

Cheers,
Brent

Originally posted by BrentGMATPrepNow on 18 Feb 2020, 07:33.
Last edited by BrentGMATPrepNow on 05 Sep 2022, 16:29, edited 2 times in total.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 1117 [0]
Given Kudos: 69
Send PM
A rectangular reservoir is filled with water till one-fifth of the hei [#permalink]
Reservoir: ( \(\frac{1}{5}\)) — filled with water
—> inlet tap can fill \(\frac{4}{5}\) of the reservoir in 2 hours ( \(\frac{2}{5}\) —in one hour, \(\frac{1}{5}\) — in 30 minutes)

—> \(\frac{4}{5} —\frac{1}{5} = (\frac{2}{5} —\frac{1}{5})*t\)

\(\frac{3}{5} = \frac{1}{5}*t\)
—> t = 3 hours

The answer is A

Posted from my mobile device

Originally posted by lacktutor on 18 Feb 2020, 08:30.
Last edited by lacktutor on 18 Feb 2020, 08:37, edited 1 time in total.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Send PM
Re: A rectangular reservoir is filled with water till one-fifth of the hei [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Top Contributor
lacktutor wrote:
hi, Brent
I'm sorry if I made a mistake.
Can you check one more time the highlighted part above??
Shouldn't it be 4 gallons??

Ughh, silly mistake (it's like Bunuel predicted my error and made a corresponding answer choice specifically for me!)
Good catch!! I've edited my solution.
KUDOS FOR YOU!!

Cheers,
Brent
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Send PM
Re: A rectangular reservoir is filled with water till one-fifth of the hei [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Top Contributor
shameekv1989 wrote:
GMATPrepNow wrote:
lacktutor wrote:
hi, Brent
I'm sorry if I made a mistake.
Can you check one more time the highlighted part above??
Shouldn't it be 4 gallons??

Ughh, silly mistake (it's like Bunuel predicted my error and made a corresponding answer choice specifically for me!)
Good catch!! I've edited my solution.
KUDOS FOR YOU!!

Cheers,
Brent

GMATPrepNow

Hi Brent,

Your solution is fantastic. But I have a query :-

In how much time will the reservoir fill to the brim if the outlet is unplugged 30 minutes after the inlet tap is opened ?

Isn't it asking how much time it takes to fill the remaining 4/5th of the tank? i.e. Shouldn't we add initial 1/2 an hr that inlet pipe was opened alone to fill 1/5th of the remaining part and the 3 hrs that drainage pipe and inlet pipe take to fill the rest of the 3/5th of the tank? So the answer would be 3 and half hour in that case?

Good question!
The question is a little bit ambiguous: " In how much time will the reservoir fill to the brim if the outlet is unplugged 30 minutes after the inlet tap is opened ?"
So, are we starting the clock AFTER we unplug the outlet valve, or when we first open the INLET TAP?

If we start the clock when we unplug the outlet valve, then the answer is 3 hours
If we start the clock when we first open the INLET TAP, then the answer is 3.5 hours

Cheers,
Brent
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 320 [0]
Given Kudos: 96
Send PM
The problem is, in an actual test, we are not allowed to make two choices so we have to analyze the language of the question and make the right call. In this context, this question is more of an exercise in reading comprehension than a mathematical problem since the actual calculation is fairly simple. So let's see what we have:

A reservoir with an inlet tap at the head and an outlet at the bottom is filled up to one-fifth of its capacity. I think that we can safely assume that both the inlet and outlet are closed at this point. From this point on, we are presented with three different scenarios each involving a certain course of action and the result thereof:
(a) The outlet is unplugged and consequently the reservoir is completely drained in 1 hour which gives us the information required to calculate the rate/efficiency of the outlet valve.
(b) The inlet tap is opened and the reservoir fills in 2 hours which gives us the information needed to calculate the efficiency of the inlet tap.
(c) This is the tricky part. The question stem asks: "In how much time will the reservoir fill to the brim if the outlet is unplugged 30 minutes after the inlet tap is opened ?" In my opinion, the answer should be the TOTAL time (the 30 minutes when only the inlet tap is in play plus the time until the reservoir is full during which period both the inlet tap and the outlet valve are in play). There are two reasons why I have made this assumption:
(1) In all three scenarios, the actions start with the reservoir one-fifth full and both the inlet and outlet closed. So the time for the result of each action to culminate (draining in the first scenario and filling to the brim in the second and third scenarios) should be calculated from this starting point. In fact, in the given context the above question can be rephrased thus: " As in Scenario (b), the inlet tap is opened but this time the outlet valve is unplugged after 30 minutes. In this case, how much time will it take to fill up the reservoir?"
(2) Option B would have been the correct choice if the above question would have used the word "after" instead of "if": "In how much time will the the reservoir fill to the brim AFTER the outlet is unplugged 30 minutes from the time the inlet tap is opened?"

So, IMO, the answer is 3 hours 30 minutes (B)
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 4095 [0]
Given Kudos: 242
Concentration: Sustainability, Marketing
GMAT Focus 1:
545 Q79 V79 DI73
GPA: 4
WE:Marketing (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
let total reservoir be 10 ltrs
1/5 th filled = 2 ltrs
and outlet rate ; 2 ltr per hr
and intlet rate ; 10/2 ; 5 ltr per hr
net rate ; 5-2 ; 3 ltr per hr
for first 30 mins the reservoir would be filled ; 2*30/60 ; 1 ltr
now left with 9 ltrs would be filled in 9/3 ; 3 hrs
total time taken ; 3hrs and 30 mins
IMO B :)

Bunuel wrote:
A rectangular reservoir is filled with water till one-fifth of the height of the reservoir. If an outlet at the bottom of the reservoir is unplugged, the water in the reservoir will drain completely in 1 hour. If the outlet remains plugged and the inlet tap at the head of the reservoir is opened, the reservoir will fill to the brim in 2 hours. In how much time will the reservoir fill to the brim if the outlet is unplugged 30 minutes after the inlet tap is opened ?

(A) 3 hours

(B) 3 hours 30 minutes

(C) 4 hours 30 minutes

(D) 5 hours

SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 1344 [0]
Given Kudos: 607
Send PM
Bunuel wrote:

(A) 3 hours
(B) 3 hours 30 minutes
(C) 4 hours 30 minutes
(D) 5 hours

rate*time=work,distance,fill

currently: 1/5 tank filled

rate_out * 1hr = 1/5, rate_out = 1/5
rate_in * 2hr = 4/5, rate_in = 2/5
rate_in * 0.5hr = 2/5*1/2 = 1/5
rate_in-rate_out * time = 1-(1/5+1/5) = 3/5
(2/5-1/5)*t=3/5
t=3/5*5/1=3 hours to fill after unplugging
3:30 hours to fill since beginning

Ans (B)
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 369 [0]
Given Kudos: 52
Concentration: Accounting, Finance
GMAT 1: 650 Q45 V35
GPA: 3.9
WE:Education (Accounting)
Send PM
Bunuel wrote:

(A) 3 hours

(B) 3 hours 30 minutes

(C) 4 hours 30 minutes

(D) 5 hours

It takes 1 hour to drain 1/5 of the reservoir by the outlet tap and in 1 hour the inlet tap can fill 2/5 of the reservoir.
So when the outlet tap was opened, the reservoir already fiiled upto 2/5 . In the next one hour the filled part will be 1/5. So to fill the remaining 3/5, the required hours are 3. So, after the initial 1/5, to fill the 4/5 part it needs 3 and 30 minutes.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 15 [0]
Given Kudos: 27
Send PM
According to the question stem, we have the following data
Rate of Inlet/filling = 2/5 per hour (Also note, 1/5 every half hour)
Rate of Outlet/draining = 1/5 per hour
So, from the stem we see that for the 1st half hour only inlet pipe was working, So 2/5th of the total was filled, Now the outlet tank was opened,
Effective rate when Inlet and outlet Pipes are working together = 2/5-1/5 = 1/5
So, when both pipes are working together we are filling 2/5th of the tank evert hour.
We are already at 2/5th capacity and we derived that from now onwards wee gain 1/5 every hour which will take 3 hours to fill to the brim (max capacity)
So in all half hour earlier and these 3 hours together make 3:30 hours.
So to fill to the brim it takes 3 and half hours
Bunuel BrentGMATPrepNow
Please provide your inputs if you think the logic is flawed!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 19
Send PM
Filling efficiency= 50%
Emptying efficiency= 20%
So, net efficiency= 30%
So, Required time= 100/30= 3.5hrs (Approx) [Option B]
Bunuel, correct me if i am wrong..

Thanks
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 695 [0]
Given Kudos: 81
Send PM
Expert Reply
rajchotu02 wrote:
Filling efficiency= 50%
Emptying efficiency= 20%
So, net efficiency= 30%
So, Required time= 100/30= 3.5hrs (Approx) [Option B]
Bunuel, correct me if i am wrong..

Thanks

rajchotu02

I think you've got some fuzzy math that happened to work out to be close enough to the correct answer that you selected the right one by luck!!

The filling efficiency is not 50%. Yes, it will fill in 2 hours, but only because it starts out 20% full. If it started out 90% full and took 2 hours to fill, would you still call that 50% filling efficiency?
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 695 [0]
Given Kudos: 81
Send PM
Expert Reply
Bunuel wrote:

(A) 3 hours

(B) 3 hours 30 minutes

(C) 4 hours 30 minutes

(D) 5 hours

Let's say the thing can hold 5 gallons.
Outlet: It currently has 1 gallon and would take 1 hour to drain, so the outlet drains at a rate of 1 gallon per hour.
Inlet: It currently has 1 gallon and would take 2 hours to fill, so the inlet fills at a rate of 4 gallons per 2 hours, or 2 gallons per hour.
Net: +2 gallons per hour - 1 gallon per hour = 1 gallon per hour.

We turn on the inlet for 30 minutes. At a rate of 2 gallons per hour, 1 gallon comes in. We now have 2 gallons in and need 3 more. 30 minutes elapsed.
At a net rate of +1 gallon per hour, we can fill the remaining 3 gallons in 3 hours. 3 hours elapsed.

30 minutes + 3 hours = 3.5 hours.

Answer choice B.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
Math Expert
92882 posts
Senior Moderator - Masters Forum
3137 posts