It is currently 18 Nov 2017, 03:53

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

A researcher discovered that people who have low levels of

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Retired Moderator
Status: 2000 posts! I don't know whether I should feel great or sad about it! LOL

Kudos [?]: 1120 [0], given: 109

Schools: Harvard, Stanford, Wharton, MIT & HKS (Government)
WE 1: Economic research
WE 2: Banking
WE 3: Government: Foreign Trade and SMEs
Re: A researcher discovered that people who have low levels of [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 Sep 2012, 16:49
+1 D

In the first sentence of the argument, the author shows a correlation between inmune-system activity and mental health. But then, in the conclusion indicates that there is a CAUSAL relation between those elements. (Notice the word "protects"). In other words, inmune-system activity is the cause, and mental health is the effect. It's clear that the author is assuming that there is a causal relationship in the described order.

It seems that you don't have clear some concepts of CR. Have you tried this book: CR Powerscore Bible?

"Life’s battle doesn’t always go to stronger or faster men; but sooner or later the man who wins is the one who thinks he can."

My Integrated Reasoning Logbook / Diary: http://gmatclub.com/forum/my-ir-logbook-diary-133264.html

GMAT Club Premium Membership - big benefits and savings

Kudos [?]: 1120 [0], given: 109

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 0

GMAT Date: 09-22-2012
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 04 Sep 2012, 19:55
No I haven 't, I just finished the manhattan GMAT verbal, thanks a lot for recommending.

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 0

5 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 3 [5], given: 0

Schools: rice univ, boston univ, unc charlotte, manchester b school.
WE 1: advertizing
WE 2: team management
WE 3: project management

Show Tags

New post 05 Sep 2012, 03:48
This post received
KUDOS
can any expert post a comprehensive soln of this cr. thanx in advance.

Kudos [?]: 3 [5], given: 0

1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 130 [1], given: 282

Concentration: Technology, General Management
GPA: 3.75
WE: Sales (Telecommunications)
A researcher discovered that people who have low levels of [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 Jan 2013, 07:38
This post received
KUDOS
A researcher discovered that people who have low levels of immune-system activity tend to score much lower on tests of mental health than do people with normal or high immune-system activity. The researcher concluded from this experiment that the immune system protects against mental illness as well as against physical disease.

The researcher's conclusion depends on which of the following assumptions?

(A) High immune-system activity protects against mental illness better than normal immune-system activity does.
(B) Mental illness is similar to physical disease in its effects on body systems.
(C) People with high immune-system activity cannot develop mental illness.
(D) Mental illness does not cause people's immune-system activity to decrease.
(E) Psychological treatment of mental illness is not as effective as is medical treatment.

I've failed over and over and over again in my life and that is why I succeed--Michael Jordan
Kudos drives a person to better himself every single time. So Pls give it generously
Wont give up till i hit a 700+

Kudos [?]: 130 [1], given: 282

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 413 [0], given: 85

Concentration: General Management, Entrepreneurship
GPA: 3.54
WE: Project Management (Retail Banking)

Show Tags

New post 14 Jan 2013, 09:19
rajathpanta wrote:
A researcher discovered that people who have low levels of immune-system activity tend to score much lower
on tests of mental health than do people with normal or high immune-system activity. The researcher concluded
from this experiment that the immune system protects against mental illness as well as against physical disease.

(A) High immune-system activity protects against mental illness better than normal immune-system activity
does.
(B) Mental illness is similar to physical disease in its effects on body systems.
(E) Psychological treatment of mental illness is not as effective as is medical treatment.

Oa... later

If mental illness is not similar to physical disease in its effects on body sytems, then the researcher cannot conclude from his experiment that the immune system protects against mental illness as well as againt physical disease.

Therefore, I'll go with B

KUDOS is the good manner to help the entire community.

"If you don't change your life, your life will change you"

Kudos [?]: 413 [0], given: 85

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 130 [0], given: 282

Concentration: Technology, General Management
GPA: 3.75
WE: Sales (Telecommunications)

Show Tags

New post 14 Jan 2013, 09:28
Think over again. This is a good question for me.

I've failed over and over and over again in my life and that is why I succeed--Michael Jordan
Kudos drives a person to better himself every single time. So Pls give it generously
Wont give up till i hit a 700+

Kudos [?]: 130 [0], given: 282

1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 413 [1], given: 85

Concentration: General Management, Entrepreneurship
GPA: 3.54
WE: Project Management (Retail Banking)

Show Tags

New post 14 Jan 2013, 09:47
This post received
KUDOS
rajathpanta wrote:
A researcher discovered that people who have low levels of immune-system activity tend to score much lower
on tests of mental health than do people with normal or high immune-system activity. The researcher concluded
from this experiment that the immune system protects against mental illness as well as against physical disease.

(A) High immune-system activity protects against mental illness better than normal immune-system activity
does.

Oa... later

Let's restate the argument :
Premise:
On tests of mental health : Scores of ppl with LOW ISA << Scores of ppl with NORMAL or HIGH ISA (ISA = immune-system activity)
Conclusion:
immune system protects against mental illness as well as against physical disease.

A- Wrong since we are comparing normal and high ISA with low ISA
B- Out of scope : the argument never stated any effects on body systems from either mental illness or physical disease.
C- Out of scope
D- correct : if we negate it : mental illness does cause people's ISA to decrease and that let the conclusion not valid.
E- Out of scope
Thanks for the question

i hope i get it correct this time :lol:

KUDOS is the good manner to help the entire community.

"If you don't change your life, your life will change you"

Kudos [?]: 413 [1], given: 85

Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 13

Concentration: Strategy, Healthcare
GMAT 1: 690 Q44 V40
GMAT 2: 710 Q48 V38
GPA: 3.58
WE: Corporate Finance (Manufacturing)
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 14 Jan 2013, 11:12
I'll go with D. If mental illness did decrease immune system activity to decrease, the researcher's hypothesis would be incorrrect.

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 13

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 20 [0], given: 57

A researcher discovered that people who have low levels of.. [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 Apr 2013, 21:50
This post was
BOOKMARKED
A researcher discovered that people who have low levels of immune-system activity tend to score much
lower on tests of mental health than do people with normal or high immune-system activity. The researcher
concluded from this experiment that the immune system protects against mental illness as well as against
physical disease.
A. High immune-system activity protects against mental illness better than normal immune-system activity
does.
B. Mental illness is similar to physical disease in its effects on body systems.
C. People with high immune-system activity cannot develop mental illness.
D. Mental illness does not cause people's immune-system activity to decrease.
E. Psychological treatment of mental illness is not as effective as is medical treatment.

Classic GMAT question :-)

Kudos [?]: 20 [0], given: 57

2 KUDOS received
Verbal Forum Moderator

Kudos [?]: 3547 [2], given: 123

Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 12 Apr 2013, 00:07
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
ritula wrote:
A researcher discovered that people who have low levels of immune-system activity tend to score much
lower on tests of mental health than do people with normal or high immune-system activity. The researcher
concluded from this experiment that the immune system protects against mental illness as well as against
physical disease.
The researcher’s conclusion depends on which of the following assumptions?
A. High immune-system activity protects against mental illness better than normal immune-system activity
does.
B. Mental illness is similar to physical disease in its effects on body systems.
D. Mental illness does not cause people’s immune-system activity to decrease.
E. Psychological treatment of mental illness is not as effective as is medical treatment.

The question used cause and effect logic.
A & B both happen.
A --> B, only if B does NOT cause A

D is correct.

Hope it helps.

Please +1 KUDO if my post helps. Thank you.

"Designing cars consumes you; it has a hold on your spirit which is incredibly powerful. It's not something you can do part time, you have do it with all your heart and soul or you're going to get it wrong."

Chris Bangle - Former BMW Chief of Design.

Kudos [?]: 3547 [2], given: 123

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 0

Show Tags

New post 29 Apr 2013, 09:01
ritula wrote:
physical disease.
does.

I picked C.I am not finding why c is wrong.Can u explain why c is wrong?

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 0

Expert Post
9 KUDOS received
e-GMAT Representative
S

Kudos [?]: 9270 [9], given: 340

Show Tags

New post 29 Apr 2013, 22:39
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
This post was
BOOKMARKED
supri23 wrote:
ritula wrote:
physical disease.
does.

I picked C.I am not finding why c is wrong.Can u explain why c is wrong?

Hi,

To tackle your doubt, let me begin from the passage itself.

Understanding the Passage

A researcher discovered that people who have low levels of immune-system activity tend to score much lower on tests of mental health than do people with normal or high immune-system activity.

This statement talks about a discovery by a researcher. The researcher discovered that people who have

low immune system activity have lower mental health
normal or high immune system activity have better mental health.

So, what he saw was that mental health increased with increase in immune system activity.

The researcher concluded from this experiment that the immune system protects against mental illness as well as against physical disease.

The researcher thought about the reason as to why this pattern exists. He thought an explanation for this pattern is that immune system protects against mental illness or poor mental health. If his explanation is true, then people with lower immune system should have poorer mental health than people with normal or higher immune system activity. This is what he has observed. So, he made the conclusion as stated in the above statement of the passage.

Pre-thinking Assumption

Now, what is the assumption built in the conclusion drawn by the researcher?

The assumption is that there is no other explanation which could explain the given observed pattern. If there are other explanations for the observed pattern, then it would cast a serious doubt on the conclusion drawn by the author.

Now, what could be an alternate explanation?

This could be a hard question for people new to causal arguments but for people who have done some practice of causal arguments, they can figure out the answer to this quite easily.

Remember, the researchers concluded that immune system protects against mental illness because this can explain the observed pattern. Now, if we say that mental illness causes decline in immune system activity, then even this statement could explain the given observed pattern (where both immune system activity and mental health increase or decrease simultaneously). Now, if this could also be an explanation, then the author must have considered this explanation and 'assumed' that this cannot be be true.

So, an assumption in the above argument is that mental illness does not cause people’s immune-system activity to decrease. This is what option D is.

Now, coming to option C:

People with high immune-system activity cannot develop mental illness.

First of all, we need to think why does the author need to assume this? Remember a golden rule:

The author assumes only those things without which his argument will not hold true.

For this reason, the 'assumptions' are called must be true statements, which means that the assumptions must be true for the conclusion to hold true.

Now, is Option C a must be true statement?

What if option C is false i.e. People with high immune-system activity can develop mental illness. Will it falsify the conclusion?

The answer is No. The conclusion can still hold even when this statement is false. Therefore, it cannot be an assumption.

Hope this helps :)

Thanks,
Chiranjeev

| '4 out of Top 5' Instructors on gmatclub | 70 point improvement guarantee | www.e-gmat.com

Kudos [?]: 9270 [9], given: 340

Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 1451 [0], given: 543

Show Tags

New post 14 May 2013, 07:07
Can someone provide a detailed explanation!

Click +1 Kudos if my post helped...

Amazing Free video explanation for all Quant questions from OG 13 and much more http://www.gmatquantum.com/og13th/

GMAT Prep software What if scenarios http://gmatclub.com/forum/gmat-prep-software-analysis-and-what-if-scenarios-146146.html

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 116 [0], given: 3

GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V40

Show Tags

New post 14 May 2013, 10:36
fozzzy wrote:
Can someone provide a detailed explanation!

Argument:
Researcher discovery from experiment: people with low levels of immune-system activity tend to score much lower on tests of mental health than do people with normal or high immune-system activity.
Researcher conclusion: the immune system protects against mental illness as well as against physical disease.

Pre thinking:
Researcher observation is that low levels of immune-system activity tend to have lower score on mental health.
He made the conclusion that immune system protect against mental illness.
We can make another conclusion that lower score on mental health (i.e. mental) illness causes lower immune system activity. So an underlying assumption here is that mental illness does not cause low immune system activity.

Analysis of answer Choices:
(A) High immune-system activity protects against mental illness better than normal immune-system activity does.
INCORRECT: the argument is not about high and normal immune system. Nothing about normal immune system is provided.

INCORRECT: The argument is focussed on mental illness and immune system and conclusion has nothing to do with body systems in general.

INCORRECT: Conclusion says that immune system protects against mental illness like it does again physical illness. Doesn’t mean that people with high immune system can’t develop mental or physical illness.

CORRECT: Look at the pre thinking. If this is false then we will get the conclusion that lower score on mental health (i.e. mental illness) causes lower immune system activity. So for researchers conclusion to hold this must be true and be the assumption.

(E)Psychological treatment of mental illness is not as effective as is medical treatment.
INCORRECT: This doesn’t tell if immune system is effective for preventing mental illness or not.

The key here was that researcher could have made multiple conclusion from his experiment.Why he reached at one conclusion helped me in determining the underlying assumption.
Hope this helps.

The Kudo please :)

Director
Director

Show Tags

New post 14 May 2013, 22:44
I was able to arrive at the answer by POE eliminating answer choice based that are irrelevant and out of scope but wasn't convinced with the explanation...

The argument jumps from mental health to mental illness... still confused lol

Click +1 Kudos if my post helped...

Amazing Free video explanation for all Quant questions from OG 13 and much more http://www.gmatquantum.com/og13th/

GMAT Prep software What if scenarios http://gmatclub.com/forum/gmat-prep-software-analysis-and-what-if-scenarios-146146.html

Intern
Intern

GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V40

Show Tags

New post 14 May 2013, 23:36
fozzzy wrote:
I was able to arrive at the answer by POE eliminating answer choice based that are irrelevant and out of scope but wasn't convinced with the explanation...

The argument jumps from mental health to mental illness... still confused lol

Mental health and mental illness can be taken as same thing. I mean a lower mental health will mean some mental illness.
So we can consider lower score on mental health = mental illness.
However this is not the main point of the argument.

Just think only about the following statement:
Researcher observation is that low levels of immune-system activity tend to have lower score on mental health.

What conclusion will you make out of it?

I will make one of the following two conclusions:
1. EITHER – Lower immune system causes mental illness which means that immune system protect against mental illness.
2. OR - Mental illness causes lower immune system.

Now author chooses 1st as his conclusion and ignores the second .So we will have to find a way to show that second conclusion will not hold and that will be our assumption.
This is what choice D do and hence the correct answer.

Hope it is clear now.

The Kudo please :)

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 13

GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 11 Jul 2013, 12:15
This is one of the best OG CR question.

Here the main point is,
mental illness is prevalant not only in lower immune-system but also in higher or normal immune-system.

But Higher or Normal immune-system has less level of mental illness than Lower immune system.

So, good(normal and high) Immune system help to avoid/reduce Mental illness.

Thus, if we reduce the immunity is reduced due to Mental illness , it proves the research is wrong,therefore the assumption is it does not.

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 13

Verbal Forum Moderator
Affiliations: National Institute of Technology, Durgapur

Kudos [?]: 709 [0], given: 80

GPA: 3.32
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 05 Sep 2013, 12:59
Marcab wrote:
wats wrong with C?
on negation, it also destroys the conclusion...
plz explain

ppl with high immune system can cause mental illness... now thats grossly wrong

Regards,

S

Consider +1 KUDOS if you find this post useful

Kudos [?]: 709 [0], given: 80

Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 910 [0], given: 322

Concentration: General Management, General Management
GMAT 1: 630 Q47 V29
GMAT 2: 680 Q50 V32
GPA: 3.7
WE: Information Technology (Investment Banking)
Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 20 Sep 2013, 22:12
Even though experts have poured in their thoughts on why (D) is correct, no one has stated why (B) is incorrect.

On my first thought I never got involved in correlation-causation. I thought it was the last criterion after I apply the GAP/HOLE in the argument.

When I look at the assumption question, I just found out one HOLE in the argument.

Premise: Score on TOMH LI<HI
Conclusion: IS protects against MI as well as PD

PD=Physical disease , IS=Immune system, TOMH=tests of mental health, LI=Low immunity,MI=Mental illness.

Nowhere the argument mentioned PD in premises. However, it mentions the same directly in the conclusion.

So, is the leap from TOMH to MI and PD is genuine.

So why (B) cannot be correct one?

Plz advise !!!

Rgds,
TGC!

Kudos [?]: 910 [0], given: 322

1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 429 [1], given: 4

Schools: LBS '14 (A)
GMAT 1: 770 Q48 V48

Show Tags

New post 21 Sep 2013, 08:53
This post received
KUDOS
Hi TGC,

Actually Kyle above did a good job of explaining it. But I'll try again in a different format to see if that helps.

The key issue here is the exact phrasing of the question:

The researcher's conclusion depends on which of the following [b]assumptions
?[/b]

I've highlighted the key words. It means that for the answer to be correct, the answer choice has to be dependant

With Answer B that is not the case - whilst if it were true it would certainly help the argument, the argument does not depend on it. For example there could be a way that the mental and physical ailments affect the body very differrently, but that the immune system still looks after both.

Does that make sense?

All the best,
James

Former GMAT Pill student, now on staff. Used GMATPILL OG 12 and nothing else: 770 (48,48) & 6.0

... and more

Kudos [?]: 429 [1], given: 4

Re: A researcher discovered that people who have low levels of   [#permalink] 21 Sep 2013, 08:53

Go to page   Previous    1   2   3   4   5    Next  [ 98 posts ] 

A researcher discovered that people who have low levels of

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap