It is currently 24 Sep 2017, 05:27

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

A researcher discovered that people who have low levels of

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 70 [0], given: 136

Re: Mental Health CR [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Dec 2015, 17:51
just wondering why its not B, since physical disease and mental illness are correlated in the argument

Kudos [?]: 70 [0], given: 136

GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend

Kudos [?]: 256 [0], given: 0

Premium Member
Re: A researcher discovered that people who have low levels of [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 Feb 2016, 04:26
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G

Kudos [?]: 70 [0], given: 251

Concentration: Strategy, International Business
GPA: 3.76
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 22 Feb 2016, 03:46
when taking assumption questions in consideration, the easiest way is to find the conclusion and any answer choice if negated weakens the conclusion, that is ur correct answer
the conclusion says: immune system protect mental illness and physical health
d option says that its not the mental illness that causes low immune system--correct option

Push yourself again and again. Don't give an inch until the final buzzer sounds. -Larry Bird
Success isn't something that just happens - success is learned, success is practiced and then it is shared. -Sparky Anderson
-S

Kudos [?]: 70 [0], given: 251

Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 32 [0], given: 612

GMAT 1: 610 Q43 V31
GMAT 2: 610 Q47 V27
GMAT 3: 650 Q48 V31
GMAT 4: 700 Q49 V35
WE: Project Management (Health Care)
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 12 May 2016, 03:22
ritula wrote:
Official Guide for GMAT Verbal Review, 2nd Edition
Practice Question
Question No.: 7
Page: 118
Difficulty:

A researcher discovered that people who have low levels of immune-system activity tend to score much lower on tests of mental health than do people with normal or high immune-system activity. The researcher concluded from this experiment that the immune system protects against mental illness as well as against physical disease.

The researcher’s conclusion depends on which of the following assumptions?

A. High immune-system activity protects against mental illness better than normal immune-system activity does.
B. Mental illness is similar to physical disease in its effects on body systems.
C. People with high immune-system activity cannot develop mental illness.
D. Mental illness does not cause people’s immune-system activity to decrease.
E. Psychological treatment of mental illness is not as effective as is medical treatment.

- The data/premise indicates a correlation.
- The assumption is of causation. Specifically: immune system situation (lets call it X) --> Mental functioning (lets call it Y)
- Hence there are several common assumption: Y-\-> X (negating the possibility to opposite causation), Z -\->X (negating a possible other cause).

[X] - A - the comparison within the group of High/Med immune system is not mentioned - out of scope.
[X] - B - This choice might be tempting. but, when we try to negate, we see the immune system might protect against "things" with different effects on the body.
[X] - C - this answer is too extreme.
[V] - D - fits the Y-/->X common assumption.
[X] - E - Psychological treatment and its effectiveness is out of scope.

Kudos [?]: 32 [0], given: 612

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 119 [0], given: 24

WE: Supply Chain Management (Consulting)
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 28 May 2016, 04:51
My pick is "D".

I used cause and effect relationship between "high immune system" and "low mental illness". Researcher's conclusion says person with good immune system is less prone to mental illness. What if mental illness is the cause of damage to immune system? The conclusion falls apart. Choice D exactly fills the gap.

+1 KUDOS is the best way to say thanks :-)

"Pay attention to every detail"

Kudos [?]: 119 [0], given: 24

Manager
Manager
S

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 46

CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 04 Jun 2016, 10:17
very simply author wants to say A causes B ,so a potential weakener will be that B causes A the other-way round ,so he assumes that the other way round isn't possible for his conclusion to be true

Manager
Manager
S

CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 15 Jun 2016, 20:28
the portion you yourself mentioned that "why is it not true that if there is mental illness there is a chance that immune system is low. thats why he is scoring low on mental health." is an assumption he assumes that this fact is not true and option D states the mental illness is not the cause of low immune levels but the other way round

GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend

Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 24 Jun 2016, 22:57

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 36 [0], given: 165

GMAT 1: 540 Q39 V26
GMAT 2: 680 Q46 V37
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 04 Jul 2016, 22:23
D is the answer

Byrce Wayne: Alfred I need Poison Ivy because I am ill.
Alfreddo: Maester Wayne you are ill because you had Poison ivy.

Option D works along the same lines. It may be that mental illness that has reduced immunity.

Fais de ta vie un rêve et d'un rêve une réalité

Kudos [?]: 36 [0], given: 165

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 83 [0], given: 4

Schools: Schulich '16

Show Tags

New post 05 Jul 2016, 05:14
This post was
BOOKMARKED
D is the answer.

if you guys have read POWERSCORE CR bible then you are going to understand what i am writing below.

this type of assumption questions are DEFENDER type. in these type of questions the answer choice will try to defend the argument conclusion.

the conclusion here in the argument is:

The researcher concluded from this experiment that the immune system protects against mental illness as well as against
physical disease.

or in short

immune system -->> protects against mental illness and physical too.

option D read as:

this statement defends the argument that the reverse is not true( its defending the argument)

hope it helps

Kudos [?]: 83 [0], given: 4

GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend

Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 26 Jul 2016, 08:47

Manager
Manager
S

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 205

GMAT 1: 680 Q49 V35
GPA: 3.99

Show Tags

New post 11 Dec 2016, 03:13
I guess that this question got me (and probably other non-native speakers as well) because I misunderstood how "as well as" is being used.

Conclusion is: "The researcher concluded that the immune system protects against mental illness as well as against physical disease".
If you understand is as: the immune system protects against mental illness and
the immune system protects against against physical disease
then indeed answer B is tempting.

But If you understand it as:
The researcher concluded that the immune system protects against mental illness in addition to/besides the fact that it protects against physical disease" (and that fact was previously known?)
then it's clear D.

Can someone check this? Maybe I just made this up and B is wrong for other reasons? (i.e. even if mental illness and physical disease weren't similar, immune system could still protect against them both?) :-D

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 205

Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 22

Show Tags

New post 13 Jul 2017, 02:14
A researcher discovered that people who have low levels of immune-system activity tend to score much lower on tests of mental health than do people with normal or high immune-system activity. The researcher concluded from this experiment that the immune system protects against mental illness as well as against physical disease.

This is a cause and effect assumption problem, where is X causes Y. So the assumption is that Y does not cause X. It's mentioned in Manhattan book.

A. High immune-system activity protects against mental illness better than normal immune-system activity does.
We are not comparing between high immune system or normal immune system.

B. Mental illness is similar to physical disease in its effects on body systems.
We are not concerned with the effects of it.

The conclusion is that immune system as whole protects against the mental illness and against physical disease. Not high immune system or low immune system.

Well this is stated in the premise that immune system disbalance cause mental illness and so is in the conclusion. Refer to the cause and effect relation.

E. Psychological treatment of mental illness is not as effective as is medical thereabout its effectivness.
We are not again not concerned about the effectiveness.

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 22

Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 124

Show Tags

New post 08 Aug 2017, 04:42
ritula wrote:
Practice Question
Difficulty:

E. Psychological treatment of mental illness is not as effective as is medical treatment.

Why not A? please help..I negated it and I found the conclusion to fall apart

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 124

VP
VP
G

Kudos [?]: 55 [0], given: 504

Concentration: Operations, Marketing
GMAT 1: 670 Q48 V36
GRE 1: 314 Q157 V157
GPA: 3.4
WE: Manufacturing and Production (Manufacturing)

Show Tags

New post 08 Aug 2017, 23:51
ritula wrote:
Practice Question
Difficulty:

The answer is D

Premise 1
:A researcher discovered that people who have low levels of immune-system activity tend to score much lower on tests of mental health than do people with normal or high immune-system activity.

Conclusion
: The researcher concluded from this experiment that the immune system protects against mental illness as well as against physical disease.

D says that the reason for the poor mental health test is low immune system activity .
If this is not true then the argument falls as low level of immune activity is caused by poor mental health and the conclusion drawn would be wrong

We are more often frightened than hurt; and we suffer more from imagination than from reality

Kudos [?]: 55 [0], given: 504

Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 166

Show Tags

New post 14 Aug 2017, 20:37
D.
It uses the technique of NOT B--> NOT A in assumption questions.

Life is a challenge face it.

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 166

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 22

A researcher discovered that people who have low levels of [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Aug 2017, 03:23

Conclusion : Immune system protects against mental illness as well as against physical disease.
A. High immune-system activity protects against mental illness better than normal immune-system activity does. >> Does not address the conclusion and researcher is not relying on a comparison between high and normal immune system
B. Mental illness is similar to physical disease in its effects on body systems. >> Irrelevant
C. People with high immune-system activity cannot develop mental illness. >> Does not address conclusion.
D. Mental illness does not cause people’s immune-system activity to decrease. >> Applying assumption negation, this would remove the entire evidence for conclusion basis i.e. If mental illness causes people's immune-system activity to decrease, then we cannot draw the conclusion from the experiment that immune system protects against mental illness.

E. Psychological treatment of mental illness is not as effective as is medical treatment. >> Irrelevant

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 22

Director
Director
S

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 798

GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V33
GPA: 3.64
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 01 Sep 2017, 09:04
man, I jump to choose B with the outside knowledge. B actually says about the same IMPACT of mental illness and physical diseases.
=> D is right and D is a common pattern, the causal relation only happens in one way.

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 798

Re: Mental Health CR   [#permalink] 01 Sep 2017, 09:04

Go to page   Previous    1   2   3   4   5   [ 98 posts ] 

A researcher discovered that people who have low levels of

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap