Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 12:33 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 12:33

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Difficulty: 605-655 Levelx   Combinationsx                              
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 30 [1]
Given Kudos: 188
Schools: LBS '17
Send PM
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 619003 [1]
Given Kudos: 81595
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [2]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 619003 [9]
Send PM
Re: A researcher plans to identify each participant in a certain medical [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
RebekaMo wrote:
Bunuel wrote:
sarb wrote:
A researcher plans to identify each participant in a certain medical experiment with a code consisting of either a single letter or a pair of distinct letters written in alphabetical order. What is the least number of letters that can be used if there are 12 participants, and each participant is to receive a different code?

A. 4
B. 5
C. 6
D. 7
E. 8

Say there are minimum of \(n\) letters needed, then;

The # of single letter codes possible would be \(n\) itself;
The # of pair of distinct letters codes possible would be \(C^2_n\) (in alphabetical order);

We want \(C^2_n+n\geq{12}\) --> \(\frac{n(n-1)}{2}+n\geq{12}\) --> \(n(n-1)+2n\geq{24}\) --> \(n(n+1)\geq{24}\) --> \(n_{min}=5\).

Answer: B.

Hope it's clear.

I am still having problems with this question. Why do we devide the combinations formula into n(n-1)/2?
Shouldnt it be 2!/n!(2-n)! ?

\(C^2_n=\frac{n!}{2!(n-2)!}\). Now, notice that \(n!=(n-2)!*(n-1)*n\), hence \(C^2_n=\frac{n!}{2!(n-2)!}=\frac{(n-2)!*(n-1)*n}{2!(n-2)!}=\frac{(n-1)n}{2}\).

Hope it's clear.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 332 [0]
Given Kudos: 23
Send PM
Re: A researcher plans to identify each participant in a certain medical [#permalink]
Bunuel wrote:
sarb wrote:
A researcher plans to identify each participant in a certain medical experiment with a code consisting of either a single letter or a pair of distinct letters written in alphabetical order. What is the least number of letters that can be used if there are 12 participants, and each participant is to receive a different code?

A. 4
B. 5
C. 6
D. 7
E. 8

The # of pair of distinct letters codes possible would be \(C^2_n\) (in alphabetical order);

We want \(C^2_n+n\geq{12}\) --> \(\frac{n(n-1)}{2}+n\geq{12}\) --> \(n(n-1)+2n\geq{24}\) --> \(n(n+1)\geq{24}\) --> \(n_{min}=5\).

Hope it's clear.

Probability and Combinatorics are my weakest subjects by far, so please ignore the rudimentary question.

When we say \(C^2_n+n\geq{12}\) that means that we are going to find a combination of 2 letters out of a group of n letters which in turn would yield "x" amount of options. Correct? If so, why are we adding the n following that equation and more importantly, how does that equation yield 5? When I factor it out, i get n(n+1) >= 24. That yields -1 and 0. Why am I so off here?

My question would be - what does this formula mean and how do you solve it? \(C^2_n+n\geq{12}\)

Also, the question is saying that they need to be in alphabetical order, doesn't that mean that order DOES matter? How does that affect the above equation.

P.S: For what it's worth, I've read the Combinatorics and Probability strategy guide(Manhattan Gmat) and understand the content of the guide but these two topics still elude me. I'm open to learning from another venue if helpful?

EDIT: Simplifying my question.
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 619003 [1]
Send PM
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
russ9 wrote:
Bunuel wrote:
sarb wrote:

A. 4
B. 5
C. 6
D. 7
E. 8

Hope it's clear.

Probability and Combinatorics are my weakest subjects by far, so please ignore the rudimentary question.

When we say \(C^2_n+n\geq{12}\) that means that a combination of 2 letters out of a group of n letters should yield "x" amount of options. Correct? If so, why are we adding the n following that equation and more importantly, how does that equation yield 5? When I factor it out, i get n(n+1) >= 24. That yields -1 and 0. Why am I so off here?

Also, the question is saying that they need to be in alphabetical order, doesn't that mean that order DOES matter? How does that affect the above equation.

P.S: For what it's worth, I've read the Combinatorics and Probability strategy guide and understand the content of the guide but these two topics still elude me. I'm open to learning from another venue if helpful?

The first advice would be, and I cannot stress this enough, to read the whole thread and follow the links to similar problems.

As for your questions:

Why we are adding n.

The question says that the code can consists of 1 or 2 letters. Now, if we have n letters how many codes we can make?

The # of single letter codes possible would be n itself;
The # of pair of distinct letters codes possible would be \(C^2_n\).

So, out of n letters we can make \(n+C^2_n\) codes: n one-letter codes and \(C^2_n\) two-letter codes.

How the equation yields 5

By trial and error:
If n=4, then n(n+1)=20<24;
If n=5, then n(n+1)=30>24.

Hence, \(n_{min}=5\).

Notice that we have \(n(n+1)\geq{24}\) NOT \(n(n+1)\geq{0}\).

About the alphabetical order.

Check here: a-researcher-plans-to-identify-each-participant-in-a-certain-134584.html#p1150091 and here: a-researcher-plans-to-identify-each-participant-in-a-certain-134584.html#p1296053

Similar questions to practice:
each-student-at-a-certain-university-is-given-a-four-charact-151945.html
all-of-the-stocks-on-the-over-the-counter-market-are-126630.html
if-a-code-word-is-defined-to-be-a-sequence-of-different-126652.html
a-4-letter-code-word-consists-of-letters-a-b-and-c-if-the-59065.html
a-5-digit-code-consists-of-one-number-digit-chosen-from-132263.html
a-company-that-ships-boxes-to-a-total-of-12-distribution-95946.html
a-company-plans-to-assign-identification-numbers-to-its-empl-69248.html
the-security-gate-at-a-storage-facility-requires-a-five-109932.html
all-of-the-bonds-on-a-certain-exchange-are-designated-by-a-150820.html
a-local-bank-that-has-15-branches-uses-a-two-digit-code-to-98109.html
a-researcher-plans-to-identify-each-participant-in-a-certain-134584.html
baker-s-dozen-128782-20.html#p1057502
in-a-certain-appliance-store-each-model-of-television-is-136646.html
m04q29-color-coding-70074.html
john-has-12-clients-and-he-wants-to-use-color-coding-to-iden-107307.html
how-many-4-digit-even-numbers-do-not-use-any-digit-more-than-101874.html
a-certain-stock-exchange-designates-each-stock-with-a-85831.html
the-simplastic-language-has-only-2-unique-values-and-105845.html
m04q29-color-coding-70074.html

Hope this helps.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
Hi Bunuel,

I'm confused on when you show that n! = (n-2)!*(n-1)*n...why is n! only limited to those 3 factors? I guess the question is why do you start at (n-2)!?

Thanks.!

\(C^2_n=\frac{n!}{2!(n-2)!}\). Now, notice that \(n!=(n-2)!*(n-1)*n\), hence \(C^2_n=\frac{n!}{2!(n-2)!}=\frac{(n-2)!*(n-1)*n}{2!(n-2)!}=\frac{(n-1)n}{2}\).

Hope it's clear.
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 619003 [2]
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
kevn1115 wrote:
Hi Bunuel,

I'm confused on when you show that n! = (n-2)!*(n-1)*n...why is n! only limited to those 3 factors? I guess the question is why do you start at (n-2)!?

Thanks.!

Hope it's clear.

n! is the product of positive integers from 1 to n, inclusive: n! = 1*2*...*(n-4)*(n-3)(n-2)(n-1)n. To simplify \(\frac{n!}{2!(n-2)!}\) I wrote n! as (n-2)!*(n-1)*n this enables us to reduce by (n-2)! to get \(\frac{(n-1)n}{2}\).

Hope it's clear.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
Thanks Bunuel. I'm sorry, but I'm still not following.

Why couldn't you simplify n! as (n-4)!*(n-3)!*(n-2)!*(n-1)!*n? What tells you that n! starts with (n-2)! and not a smaller number like (n-3)! or further?

What is the significance about starting with "2" using (n-2)! and working your way down to "n" when simplifying this?

Thanks.
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 619003 [2]
Send PM
Kudos